Anytime Fitness Logo

Anytime Fitness

Is This Your Business?

4.0

LAST UPDATED: October 11th, 2021

Chuck Runyon, Dave Mortensen, and Jeff Klinger founded Anytime Fitness in 2002 in St. Paul, Minnesota. All three men were previous business partners who successfully owned and operated, and then sold a local St. Paul fitness center several years ago focusing on the physical health and well-being of thousands of clients of all fitness levels. The idea for Anytime Fitness came after the founders worked as consultants for a firm that helped underperforming fitness clients’ increase their bottom line. As of 2015, Anytime Fitness has over 3,000 gym fitness locations and 2 million clients. The fitness club opened their first international location in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and has since then expanded to fitness clubs in Australia, Canada, Grand Cayman, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Poland, New Zealand, Qatar, and the United Kingdom. Anytime’s nationwide manifesto is to “Improve the self-esteem of the world.” The company is less concerned with how many pounds and inches its clients use but more focused on their improved quality of living and outlook on life. In 2011, Anytime Fitness developed a health and fitness app for their website that is available to members and serves as a platform to download workouts, track food, and interact with other users to meet fitness goals.

Planet Fitness Logo
3.6
Gold's Gym Logo
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Anytime Fitness rate and contracts
  • Upfront fees
  • Equipment
  • Fitness classes
  • Trainers and nutrition
  • Amenities
  • Anytime Fitness App

Anytime Fitness Rate and Contracts

Anytime Fitness membership fees and contracts depend on the kind of membership you apply for and the location, but the average cost is typically $30 to $36/month; however, in other clubs, the membership fee is $44 for a single monthly membership and $39 for a 12-month membership. Couples can also enroll in the gym usually at a discounted price when compared to applying individually. If you are not sure of the monthly fee, you can check the Anytime Fitness Membership Agreement where you will also find information on cancellation fees. The yearly membership also varies depending on the location, although the rate is usually in the $450 to $500 range. At some locations, Anytime Fitness offers a free month of memberships to the top male and female attendees each month. This means if you are a "gym rat" you have a chance to save money. Overall, Anytime's membership fees are less expensive than some of the nation's most popular gym chains, making it more affordable for the average working person to maintain a monthly membership. One membership gives you access to thousands of anytime fitness locations worldwide, so if you travel regularly, you can go to the nearest Anytime gym for no additional fee. Several gyms we reviewed only allowed members free fitness training access to one location.

The fitness club's gym membership fees may also be affected by offers, discounts, and promotions offered separately by location. each gym within the franchise is independently owned and operated by individual franchisees. Each state may also have a different cancellation fee or policy. For the accurate pricing details, contact a nearby location.

Upfront Fees

Anytime members have to pay an enrollment fee of $50. The company offers members a "No Member Left Behind" program. This is a program for all new members where they get a free 30-day "get-started" program with two complimentary training sessions, nutritional recommendations, and a customized workout plan. With Anytime Fitness, you also get a free month if you get friends and family members to join and if you refer four or more people, you get one year free. These perks are unique to Anytime as our reviewers have not found similar introductory offers at other gyms. The $50 activation fee is less expensive than the average fitness center, many of which charge upfront fees of $75 or more.

Equipment

When it comes to health and fitness equipment, Anytime Fitness gyms offer:

• Cardio Equipment
  • Cable crossovers
  • Kettlebells
  • Lateral X trainers
  • AMT cross trainers

Each of Anytime's gyms typically has the same equipment, with the exception of a few offering Tan Beds and Hydro Massage Beds. Due to each location being independently owned and operated, the set-ups all include free weights, Nautilus, stationary bikes, spin class bikes, Studio with Video Workouts, ellipticals and treadmills.

Fitness Classes

Customers at the health club enjoy group fitness classes offered free with their membership at fitness locations. These classes include cycling, strength and conditioning, silver sneakers, step aerobics, Zumba, Yoga, and Pilates. There are some major gyms that offer more of a variety of physical group fitness health and wellness classes but certain classes may come at an additional price. The advantage of participating in group exercise classes is that you will be paired with individuals of all fitness levels to not only help you feel comfortable, but to help you reach your fitness and wellness goals.

Trainers and Nutrition

With Anytime Fitness, there is no up-selling or pressure of any kind to work with an on-site personal trainer. All staff trainers are in tune with members' abilities and goals and work diligently with one-on-one training in a friendly atmosphere. Customers especially like that Anytime offers a free fitness consult and guidance from personal trainers who aim to educate, not get them to purchase personal training sessions. Members can choose between group training and one-on-one sessions. Pricing is not discussed until you schedule a full inquiry and go to the local gym to inquire.

Amenities

Anytime's biggest unique selling proposition is its 24/7 availability, which gives members access around-the-clock, even on holidays. Members receive a special "FOB" access key to get into the facility 24/7. The company ensures member's safety through cameras located on the premises. The company also has alarm fobs members can wear around their neck after hours that allows you to call for emergency service with a push of a button if you need assistance. Anytime even conducts background checks on every member, which can make customers feel more secure or more violated regarding privacy.

Anytime Fitness App

Do you find yourself struggling to workout if it requires you to go to the gym? Many people struggle with this as some fitness locations are either not close or simply not convenient. The Anytime Fitness App allows for people everywhere to fuel their confidence. Some of the features on this fitness App include:

• 1,100+ workout plants
  • Goal setting capabilities
  • Goal tracking
  • Health Feed
  • View Membership information
  • Update personal information
  • View gym history
  • View, confirm, and cancel appointments
  • Find gym and fitness locations
  • View gym offers and promotions

The Bad

• Hidden fees
  • Cleanliness
  • Other available amenities

Hidden Fees

Many reviews have complaints about Anytime Fitness prices and "hidden fees" and the fact that it does not advertise its fee structure online. If you're able to track down a person who is willing to answer your questions on the phone about their payment plans, hidden and initiation fees, you will be able to alleviate much of the confusion and headache if you decide Anytime is the gym for you. We did, however, find a hidden fee called "key fob deposit" for $86.96. Anytime states that this deposit will be refunded after your annual contract (or lease) ends. Some customers who end their contract prematurely report difficulty getting this deposit refunded. A $38 fob key deposit is also charged to trial membership users if they want to use the gym after business hours. Some customers feel like this is deceitful since the offer is advertised as a one-week free trial.

Cleanliness

According to Anytime's website, every club under the Anytime Fitness franchise is cleaned and maintained according to the highest standards. Customers generally have not commented about the gym's cleanliness in any significant detail. We did find that the level of hygiene varies from location to location. Overall, Anytime's cleanliness is average.

Other Available Amenities

Other amenities the company offers at its fitness centers are free Wi-Fi, private restrooms, and private showers. Anytime is not replete with upscale amenities like many of their competitors who offer indoor/outdoor pools, spas, steam rooms, massage beds, cafés, etc. Also, Anytime does not offer childcare the way similar gyms of its size do.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Anytime Fitness is a get in, get your workout done, and get out type of facility. There are not a lot of additional amenities at these gyms like childcare or steam rooms that can add variety to your fitness journey. Most have a very basic gym layout, with very few locations offering swimming pool services. Due to the company's facilities being open 24/7, we recommend Anytime Fitness gyms for anyone who is a "night owl," works the graveyard shift but wants a gym to work out in regularly outside of business hours or on holidays. We also recommend Anytime for people who travel a lot and want a gym membership that allows them access to any location at no additional charge. Anytime is also a viable option for anyone who doesn't want to be pressured by personal trainers to buy training sessions with workout programs and desires a warm, community-like environment. We do not recommend those wanting an upscale spa-like gym with lots of open space to try Anytime, as many customers complain about the small anytime fitness locations and limited space. Anytime's fitness prices and monthly dues are affordable for the average working individual at $44/month for a single person membership at a local club. There are hidden fees, so before you sign a contract make sure you ask plenty of questions.

2.7

fearlesssalmon Van Wert, OH

Sanitation/Cleanliness. It does not exist at Anytime Van Wert, Oh. The place is usually dirty, normally it carries an odd odor. I can't even count the amount of times I have sat down to use the restroom just to find the toiletry dispenser empty. I hardly have access to the facility. My fob just randomly stops working ALL THE TIME & local management has done nothing to rectify the issue long term. It is a constantly reoccurring issue although we have never been late on a payment. I literally have to scan in with my fiancés door fob. I work long hours, normally out of town. So. Me doing so means that my fiancé can't get in. Why are we paying for two memberships???? Club management hardly even returns my calls. I have uploaded my call logs to prove not only the frequency of the issue, but the severity of the club managements deficiency. I have given up calling every time the issue occurs because it has become pointless. This is also a "Text only facility" They leave their voicemail full so that they don't have to deal with club issues in a timely manner.. Or... At all. Texting is a waste of my time. Why should I send 10 texts to resolve an issue that a 2 minute phone call would resolve?? I normally work through Anytime fitness's staffed hours "10am-7pm". So if my fob doesn't work. I can not get in. My fiancé went in today to inquire about what is going on; just to be called a liar by the manager Brielle. The same manager who told us that she couldn't explain our contract to us because "the girl who understands, it isn't working today" Oh, And apparently, to cancel my membership it costs 1,1147.60$???? I was just told this today, 04/06/2021 Seriously? Terrible, terrible company, Ran by terrible people. Had that been in our contract we NEVER would have signed it. As far as company feedback goes, Anytime fitness's website only has a broken customer feedback page where I can not even select a location to file a complaint about. It doesn't work for any state or location. There is seemingly no way to contact corporate or regional management??? It is obvious that Anytime Fitness, as a whole; does not care. I have tried getting into contact with corporate through email, the local club, I'm told. "that's now how this works" then how does it work?? I just shut up and let you take our money without you granting us the club access that you promised? No, I don't think so. On the few occasions that I have made it into the facility during operation hours.. The staff does nothing. Club manager sits in her office and stares at her phone, some younger employee upfront sits in a chair by the door and stares out the window.. that is about it. I have seen Element Fitness Trainers clean, but no Anytime Employees. Every now and then another club member will stop in to the management office.. I normally turn my music off... and I have overhear them gossiping about other club members... Quite rude stuff too. NOT ACCEPTABLE. I'm assuming the club manager that you have in place over the Anytime Fitness Van Wert location is an accurate representation of the company. Otherwise, why would she be in the position that she is?? If that is indeed true... The entire entity is terrible & disgusting to it's core policies and I do not want to be involved with the company. In no way shape or form.

Lizzie Denver, CO

With becoming overly disappointed with the cleanliness and maintenance of the Anytime Fitness location in Sedalia, Missouri, I decided to cancel my membership - halfway through my contract. I have been told that my refund will be back in my account within the next 3 - 5 business day. But, I have a horrible feeling that I may have to continously chase this up. This location is happy to bring in more equipment and organized, storage shelving but they have not made a chance to check which current equipment/machines needed to be fixed or replaced. They had a constant struggle with keeping the location clean, sanitation bottles around the building; along with, paper towels filled in the dispensers. It is frustrating to see a neighborhood gym/local business not fulfill on their side of the contract.

Grace Honolulu, HI

Contract is a trap and they will find any reason to force you to stay in contract unless you agree to pay an absurd cancellation fee. Corporate allows this behavior by giving you a template answer “each gym are independently owned and your contract is between you and that owner”. COVID doesn’t seem to bother them at all either, same cancellation fee, poor customer service and they will just threaten you to send your account to collections. I have never seen a company this heartless.

CDW Saint Charles, IL

I had been a member of this gym since 2017. While it was not overly clean I was not worried about illness until the outbreak of covid 19. They made it exceptionally difficult to cancel the membership. Even with covid 19 I had to go to the gym to pay and fill out the cancellation form after trying to email the form to the manager and he said he did not receive it, charged me another month and said I had to prove I had sent the cancellation. He also did not wear a mask in his office 4 feet away from me. When I questioned him he said he only wore when on the floor. Keep copies of everything and do not do anything over email.

April Ashland, KY

not impressed with the ashland ky location at all. i called and inquired about the rates and if they offered a student discount as i’m in college and money is tight but i’m trying to stay healthy. they refused to tell me anything without coming on a tour which should’ve been a red flag to me right away. i go on the tour and as the managers are explaining how it works to me we get to the prices. for a 1year membership at base level it is 22$ every two weeks when i vocalized my weariness to be able to afford it i was assured that personal training and workouts made for you were a part of the deal, so i warrior said yes after being promised a 30Day garuntee all money back if i decided i didn’t like it. I was then charged a 50$ fee to get a tag to get me in and out of the gym and was told to come back next week for my evaluation. Disgruntled but hopeful that this would all be worth it in the end. I show up for my fitness consultation and have my measurements taken and goals assessed, and after a 15 baseline workout i was told to do what we just did ONCE A WEEK would be 130$ in addition to my 44$ monthly dues. After explaining that this is not what i thought i was getting into and that i can’t afford it, i was pitched slightly cheaper programs (group workouts and classes 70$ additional fees per month) i left feeling like a fool. All my attempts to get ahold of staff have been futile and all texts with the manger have been ignored. very disappointed.

Henrique Kikuchi Key West, FL

Stay away! The gym is small and lacks equipment. READ YOU CONTRACT BEFORE SIGNING UP! The cancellation fee is a JOKE! I had an 18 months contract and when I decided to cancel I still had about 1 year of the contract. They will hold you hostage on this gym and ask you to pay the amount for the year left in your contract that you not going to use, no matter what! Luckily I was able to move to a place where I could cancel using the distance from the gym rule that is in the contract. So the catch is that they tell you that the cancellation fee is $250. but they do not tell you that this amount is only if you cancel within the first month of the contract. After that, you can only cancel if you pay the remaining balance of the contract. I got really upset with this place. Shady business screwing people that just want to exercise.

Carol J Malloy Port Orange, FL

We joined the gym at the end of July of this year, it finally opened the day before yesterday, October 30th. I told them that because I had to wait so long and was never kept updated or notified of the opening and it was 4 months from the time that I had signed up and it wasn't my fault that they couldn't get the right permits to open but they didn't have any problems with taking money out of my account. Now they want to charge me $59 to cancel the membership. I have called the main office and tried talking with them and just got the brush off, went to the gym itself and got nothing but the runaround and wasn't able to speak to anyone in charge face to face. Why should I be held accountable for a contract when they couldn't pass for permits with the town? They didn't open when we were told they were going to open but I'm told that they can't be held responsible for that. Customer service isn't there!

Christopher L Muench

Decent gym until you shop around. There are better choices on the area. Especially the GoodLife @ Deerfoot City. GoodLife is staffed 24/7 including tanning plus similar rates and better cleaner facilities. I've been with Anytime Symons Valley for over two years. I can tell you that it was a clean gym when I started and the equipment was fairly modern. Not so much anymore. I have photos of the same pieces of garbage sitting in the middle of the tanning room for weeks before being cleaned up. Mirrors will also have the same finger prints for weeks. Also, trying to cancel a membership will not be a pleasant experience. My membership expired a month ago and the owners have ignored my emails and phone calls so that my membership "automatically renewed." Honestly, most members are still there only because they can't cancel or get out of there contracts. The equipment is only good, as long as it's not broken. Otherwise it may be down for a while. If you are reading this know that I have posted great reviews and photos in the past, on FB, Google and Yelp however, I honestly only left positive reviews for free stuff from the owner... definitely look elsewhere and if you are a member trying to get out, contact me for advice. The owners will do everything to keep you in you contract for Life!

Iva Welker Smiths, AL

I had a membership for 1 year. At the end of the contract I went to the Manager and told him I was going to stop coming and that I needed to cancel. He said he was going to put it on hold because I would want to come back. He smiled thru it all and I told him I would not come back as I am teaching dance 5 days a week and cannot fit the gym in also. Long story short - he put it on hold and I told him to cancel. After 6 months on "hold" not cancelled, he started taking money out of my HSA account . I was never contacted not did I give him permission to take any money. It was 8 months before I realized that I was paying for a gym membership that I wasn't using. He stole $350.00 including some "new Equipment" charge. He was a liar, swindler and thief.

Heather Wilson Midlothian, TX

Don’t waist your money when there is way better gyms out there. If you end up signing up with anytime fitness make sure you READ YOUR CONTRACT THOROUGHLY! Just so you know there is a extra charge of 31 dollars per person in April and October for new equipment, ha what a joke! Maybe it gotten better I don’t know but I haven't been in a while. when I did go up there was when they moved to the new location I went in a few time and I don’t know were the money was going to. My guess is into some one pocket or that honeymoon the guy took. Anyways when I signed up 2 years ago they never told me I had to find out in my own. Also beware that if you put a freeze on the account for instants like being on bed rest for pregnancy, they will just add those months to the end of your contract so you will be stuck with them even longer. But did they tell me that NO! So please save your self and read the fine print and ask question when you sign up.

Andrea Somers, NY

I had spine surgery in Oct 2018. The neurosurgeon gave me permission to resume working out after 4 months. I waited for 5 months to go back to Anytime Fitness and request a personal trainer. When I met with the personal trainer for my assessment I was completely transparent about my surgery and health. He was on board with everything I said, even mentioning that he too suffered from back ailments so he understood how to train someone with back issues. We went on the gym floor. I did a few exercises and again he assured me I was trainable. I signed injury waivers, paid, etc. I even saw the PT that Monday in the gym before our actual session. He complimented a couple of the exercises he saw me do. The night before I was to have my first training session, the General Manager called to tell me that the PT had second thoughts and does not want to train me. She had no one else in mind to train me even though I have medical clearance to do everything except workout with heavy weights and kettlebells. I am completely devastated and upset beyond words. Any confidence, dignity and self-esteem I had has been completely stripped away by this incident. The message I took away was crystal clear. You aren't worthy to be coached by Somer’s Anytime Fitness personal trainers if you have any physical limitations. Only ask for personal training if you are in perfect health otherwise you may pose an inconvenience in their perfect little compartmentalized fitness training world.

Dimche Filipov Galveston, TX

the biggest scam of a gym, worst customer service, everything you gonna hear from them is just lies, read the contract before you sign anything, they told me that I can transfer the rest of the contract to someone else if i find someone that is willing to take over, now, when I'm moving, and I have someone to take over the contract, they are saying that they have to resign for 24 moths (I have 4 moths left on my second contract), what kind of transfer requires a new 24 month contract ??? They are just super greedy, run away from them! not worth it!!! we have been with them for over 3 years, and I will not recommend it to anyone!

Christina H Utica, MI

The owner/onsite representatives are rude, have no respect for your time, and only want your money. My Fiance and myself joined before the club even opened as one of the first 30 members.. Gary (I believe Singh is his real name) met with us to sign the enrollment papers. He was very manipulative and we had no idea that this was a 3 yr contract or else we would have never agreed. We now realize a copy of the contract was never sent to us, partly our fault for not following up. I recently went in to the inquiring about how to cancel our membership due to personal reasons, we were given an email address. The trainer on staff could not answer basic questions, did not how to process a cancellation or even a phone number of who to talk to. It took multiple back to back emails, attempts at getting them to schedule a call with me (did not call during the time frame we discussed), and a meeting scheduled at the gym (Gary was supposed to meet me there at 5pm, never showed) to finally cancel my membership. They did not take any ownership of the issues they caused or remorse for missing schedule appointments. They charged me $299 to cancel the membership and acted like I was getting deal. They also charge $35 two times a year for a "maintenance fee", another way they are just trying to get more money. Do yourself a favor and join a different gym where the owners respect peoples time and maybe reach out for the cancellation reason. If anyone knows how I can speak with a regional Anytime Fitness representative about my experience, please let me know.

Matt Larsen Idaho Falls, ID

6 Months of great service and 4 YEARS OF HORROR In 2015 I signed a contract for 18 months, knowing I only needed the gym for 6 months to train for an event. I used the gym for 6 months, and it was wonderful. As 18 months approached I called to make sure my account would be cancelled. They assured me it would. I got billed for the 19th month. I called again, as I had moved to a different state to ask for the money back and to PLEASE cancel my account. I got billed for a 20th month. I emailed, and called, and wrote a letter. I got billed for another 2 months. I called my bank and put a STOP PAYMENT on the account. Anytime Fitness sent me to collections and they are demanding $140 for the 23rd-25th months, that I never used, never wanted, never agreed to, and actively worked to avoid. It is now 2019, 4 YEARS LATER, and I just received another letter from their collection agency trying to get money from me, when they owe me for 4 months of invalid charges. A good gym for 6 months is not worth the last 3 years of fighting and a knock to my credit score. Avoid them. Avoid their contracts. Avoid them at all costs.

Mari Antonito, CO

Beware! Your contract doesn't end when it does, it goes into automatic renewal afterwards and if you are unaware cause you were never told about this automatic renewal "but it's in the contract" you still have to pay unless you give a written notice 30 days in advance. Also keep you're contract so you can confirm it does state that it does renewal monthly afterward, so when you do call their financial company and they "can't find your contract" and have to go based off of a verbal confirmation from the gyms manager in regards if it did state that, you are not left with a very hefty bill and tons of late fees, cause what manager is going to turn down free money for their gym?! Needless to say, there are way cheaper gyms to go to.

Celest Boca Raton, FL

I had moved to Iowa for a short period of time, I notified the representative who got me signed up of this on the day I was registered. He advised that I can pay a $50 fee to cancel at anytime I needed to. I've been back and forth between states for the last 4 months, I paid for 1 month of not not using their facilities and then requested they freeze my account since I did not know when/if I'd be back. They were helpful and facilitated this for almost 3 months, before my next payment was due, I asked to have my account cancelled, they however charged me $50.24 for the upcoming month (even after I asked them to cancel in advance) and also said I have to pay a $50 cancellations fee, so in total I'm being robbed of $100 to not use their facility. The registration was $100, the key is $50 and your monthly fee is $50, so getting registered alone is an easy non refundable $200. They lack equipment, some of are broken and their prices are ridiculously high and they will rob you. Do not give them your bank account info, you will regret it, do not let them trick you into signing a contract, you will regret it. There's no point in contacting the corporate office because they're independently owned and not really a franchise. What a waste. I'm truly disappointed.

Garu Perera

The facilities are sparse in our town, only basic equipment is available. Wifi is spotty at best. I did not use any of the staff. Canceling our plan was painful. I started to cancel 6 weeks prior to our end contract date. All paperwork was done, key fobs handed in one full month ahead of our end contract date. On the end contract date (8 October) they STILL removed another two-week payment. I had to fight to get my money back as they stated the following, quote "After investigating further it was determined that the payment was drafted on the 8th. This means that you are contractually obligated to pay this fee since this date is included in your notice period." Use extreme caution and make sure you completely understand their terms, they are very complicated when canceling because they will auto-renew you if you do NOT cancel.

Sue Godfrey

The facilities are sparse in our town, only basic equipment is available. Wifi is spotty at best. I did not use any of the staff. Cancelling our plan was painful. I started to cancel 6 weeks prior to our end contract date. All paperwork was done, key fobs handed in one full month ahead of our end contract date. On the end contract date (16 September) they STILL removed another two week payment. I had to fight to get my money back as they stated the following, quote "After investigating further it was determined that the payment was drafted on the 16th. This means that you are contractually obligated to pay this fee since this date is included in your notice period." Use extreme caution and make sure you completely understand their terms, they are very complicated when cancelling, because they will auto renew you if you do NOT cancel.

Richard

I needed to cancel, as I moved to a remote location over an hour drive to the closest location. On the contract it states I can notify the finance company so I gave them 30 days notice in writing. I got a call from the collections company 6 months later, the gym had continued to try to collect and it was now in collections. I called the Brampton location and spoke to Lauren the manager, and she said I was not allowed to notify the finance company so they didn't honor my cancellation. I explained that it is right in the contract which she obviously never read. She said if I prove it she will remove the collections. I sent her a copy of my contract showing that I can cancel with finance company. She didn't remove the collections which call me daily now, and she won't return calls. stay away from this company!

Donald Humphrey Athens, TN

Went in to do a cancellation form with one of the associates there, before that I had to talk to him for thirty minutes over the phone. I arrived at the gym to get it signed and ended having to wait outside for fifteen minutes. . My key fob was disabled and I got the feeling like they were waiting for me to give up and leave. Finally he opens the door, and he is standing pretending to be on his phone, I greeted him and he said nothing, just pointed in a aggressive posture to a vague direction in the gym . . I finally encountered another member of their staff and finally got my cancellation finalized. I forgot to mention this is the second time I’ve had to do this, they started charging me a few months ago two years after my first cancellation. . It’s not even worth going through the pain, too many discrepancies to list, unprofessional and rude staff, basic unclean equipment, and they’ll take money out of your account after you cancel. .

Debra Odessa, TX

I signed up for a 12 month contract. I quit going about 10 months ago....in the midst I moved 350 miles. When trying to cancel I was told I have to cancel at the branch I signed up with. My response? I’m seriously going to drive 350 miles to cancel a membership I haven’t used? The lady at my new area branch was very nice and provided me wit( the number to my original branch. I called 3 times, no answer no voice mail. I found the number for the original person in my phone and called that number....no surprise no answer no voice mail. They finally called back and I was told it takes like 30 days so I still have to pay for February....so again yet another month they are charging me for AFTER my 12 month agreement is up. He did email me the “cancel” paper which I sent back as a picture and was just notified corporate wouldn’t accept it, it has to be in PDF....of course it does. Do not sign up if you have any intentions of cancelling....this is absolutely ridiculous

MONICA RAVAN Madison, WI

I wanted to base membership as I have a hectic schedule and dont get time from work. But i was still pushed into personal training membership and told that it is free for a month and you would do the base membership after that. I have been to gym only once in 3months time frame. I had specifically asked for a base membership but still i was charged $600 additional for 3months. These people scamed me and I have contacted multiple times for this issue and the response i am getting is worse. As i am travelling out of the country they didnt consider my request and i was charged even after informing them as i couldnt sign some papers. This is ridiculous. Please be aware before joining. Princeton club is way better than anytime fitness.

tklim

Email related: Anytime Fitness (Malaysia) does not respond to email. When i sign up a contract with Anytime Fitness Qliq Damansara (Malaysia), the person in charge told me that there will be a contract email to me and i did received that email. However, the content in the contract is 99% wrong, those are not the info i put when i filled in the form. And so i email them to correct it but no responds email after email sent. So i have to go over to tell the person in charge to change it. I signed up with a 12 months contract and i decided to stop continuing the membership after current contract ended. So, knowing that they do not respond to email, i went over to tell them in person on the 10th month of my contract, that i wanted to stop. The problem starts on the 11th month where Ezypay, the company that Anytime Fitness (Malaysia) uses to collect monthly membership fees, email me that my direct debit instruction for the 11th month does not go through. I still trust Anytime Fitness that time, so i just went over to the fitness center to make the last two months payment. After that, I called my credit card issued bank that i used to setup the direct debit payment, and the bank told me the payment went through on March 26, 2017. So, i email Ezypay the last two month membership fees i made and also my credit card statement that showing the date and time my card is being charged for the 11th month membership fees. Again, no email respond back. Payment related: As stated above, Anytime Fitness is cheating me on the payment.

jack

I've been training in the Anytime Fitness for a while. I like running on the treadmill. Lately, I was banned for Anytime Fitness Kew, because I was running for too fast, the reasons being my hands are on the handles, I told them I was testing my heart rate. But they said, that's unsafer manner. Before I was banned, I asked the manager, Simon Olive, what does it mean by unsafer manner, holding on the handles or too fast. When he did not reply my email. When I go and run, he banned me, i asked him why. He said, this is my gym, I do not want you here. I think he is just unprofessional. When I complained to the head office, the head office is just awful and said, if you want, I can cancel your membership. How rude and how unprofessional. They just do not know how to respect their members.

Courtney Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Consistently had a bad experience with Paul @ Anytime Fitness in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. For starters, when first issued my membership I was never given ANY paperwork of the agreement. I have NEVER had a membership with any company that withheld that information- Sketchy!! Paul never answered my numerous phone calls. One time, did I ever get a phone call back- and I had to reach out to him maybe 4 times to receive that call. I work in customer service- and this guy is a joke. Simply put- any company in sales or customer service needs to put the RIGHT PEOPLE in place to do that job. When I went to cancel my membership, not only was I incorrectly billed MORE money than I was supposed to be for my last month, but Paul also told me I would not be reimbursed for it. So I came in face to face to talk with him. I was then handed off to deal with another employee- that informed me she works in an entirely different store. She was helpful. After taking the time to actually look at my paperwork, she handled my problem with ease. If this company needs employees to come from other locations to get the job done- doesn't that say enough? I would give this location and this employee, Paul - zero stars. Emily, from another location was especially hopeful- and I'm sure she is providing much better customer service at her location. Bad experience all around!

Klaude Furlong

This gym and its owners are EXTREMELY misleading and unprofessional. I first went into their location in Oct 2014 to get info. I basically told them I wasn't interested in contracts and being locked in as I had just come out of a contract with GoodLife and wasn't interested in locking myself again. The rep assured me that all I needed to do was send in a request to terminate the contract 30 days prior to termination and ALL would be good. I believed her and signed the contract. She NEVER went over the contract or the fine print that indicated that the only way to "cancel" the contract was if you were medically incapable of training or you were moving to another location in another city. After a few months, I wasn't impressed with the facilities or the team so I sent in my cancellation letter with a supplementary payment for the month and expected to be done with them. Not only was my letter not accepted, my account was placed into collections with an agency who then began harassing me for payment. When I contacted the owner by email, she advised me that ALL her reps read ALL the fine prints of the contract with the client at signature and have the client initial each section of the contract as proof they have reviewed it together. When I emailed her a copy of my contract where she could clearly see that no initials of mine were anywhere on the contract because the rep had not followed THEIR procedure (otherwise I would have never signed) instead of an apology, I got more harassment and collection letters and now they have gone so far as to triple what I supposedly owe them and have tainted my credit bureau with their fraud and irresponsible behavior. I have the proof if anyone wants it. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE. THEY WILL DECEIVE YOU AND TAKE YOU TO THE CLEANERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

Laura Melbourne, VIC

Whilst the quality of the gym itself differs depending on which one you attend a large portion of them lack quality equipment and some even lack air conditioning on a 35 degree and above day. If signing up for a one year contract they also continue to charge you outside of your contract without any written warning or verbal notification. Without a doubt the worst gym franchise I have ever been too. I am still clueless as to how they remain so successful despite awful service, equipment and facilities.

Stacey Meyer Okotoks, AB

DO NOT purchase a membership with this company. I paid for one full year up front, and 30 days later the Anytime franchise I paid at and for, was shut down for not paying their lease. After NUMEROUS attempts to contact the Head Office, and the email sent to me when they announced the closing, I have had ZERO response from them, and it has been over a month. So, save your money, find the next closest gym that is not part of the Anytime franchise...where they are happy to take your money, but but care nothing about you once they have it!

Bryce

Went for a trial membership and tried to cancel three times but the manager keeps refusing to accept the cancellation. The equipment and facilities are not kept clean or in working condition, and after hours the club becomes very disrespectful. They try to push personal training on you constantly along with upgrading to higher “tiers” of membership.

REGINA Thomas Waco, TX

I would give a zero or a minus 100 if I could I have PTSD I've been dealing with this company out of Lockhart Texas for over a year now even though I satisfied my contract I gave them three written notices I gave him a certified letter / the manager's request because I had moved three hours away they continued and continued and continued to Bill me every month and refused to help me and of course the financial office says it's between me and the center and essential won't do anything and neither will corporate I'm about to lose my mind

Chadeaux Alexandria, LA

I didn't even get a chance to join because the guy told me I would have to pay $1000.00 to join for one year. I was aghast!! I think he just didn't want a fat senior citizen waddling around his gym. He kept telling me I could ask family members for the money! This was the one closest to my house on Coliseum Blvd. in Alexandria, Louisiana. What a rip off.

T M Pittsburgh, PA

Went to cancel my membership and was told I signed a yearly contract (to my surprise) and that the only way I could cancel was to move 25 miles away and no AT within a 5 mile radius, none of this was told to me when I signed in 2017!!!! this is a gym membership not a contract for a job and taking clients, please check what you are signing i'm sure I am not the first or the last that this will happen to...………...

Barbara Archuleta Rupert, ID

They lie about your contract and do not explain all the hidden fees . They know people will not read a long contract and they lie on the length of the contract. And they do not give you a hard copy . I would not recommend this gym to anyone. You will be stuck with the 24 months contract and they charge you another month because you have to give them.a month notice if a contact says 24 them that all it should be they are nothing but liars. I asked a 1 trainer Ed about my contract he told me 1 year. Then the lying Liv M told me it was 2 years

Rebecca Brighton, CO

My daughter has had a membership at this club for a little over a year. We only signed a year contract, but noticed that we were still getting charged. She is not currently using the membership as much as she was in the beginning, so we called to cancel. They informed us that we would still have to pay for one more month of our membership because we have to cancel 30 days in advance and there are only 29 (!) days from today until our next payment is scheduled to go through. Remember - the yer contract we signed expired several months ago. This is how they treat their customers. Buyer beware.

Zak Rhome, TX

Been a customer for around two years have had pretty decent experience until recently when a gym that isn’t my home gym raised my rate 14 dollars after he called me to let me know his gym was a higher rate then I paid and I came to an agreement with him to not use his gym which was kinda weird since anytimes website says no additional fees to use other gyms. Just FYI really read the contract before signing so you don’t end up like me it’s crazy I have to pay a higher fee for a gym that is smaller than the one I usually go to

Jameson Apodaca Phoenix, AZ

clean gym, 24 hours at any location, free classes 3 times a week but many hidden fees, could not make a cancellation request until after my contract was over, cancellation request then took two months to process, would rack up $20-$50 in hidden fees in multiple months, key fob was $35 but once cancelling was told it came with member ship and there was no refund for returning it

Jes Platteville, WI

The gym itself is alright but not a lot of equipment and very little free weights. The price is actually pretty steep if all you need is a weigh room. You're basically signing up to be harassed by personal trainers who must need to sell their services. The company that manages the automatic payment is AWFUL! Incorrect charges, extra charges, mystery fees, charges after I cancelled - I won't trust them again.

Kelley B Caldwell, ID

My friend joined Anytime two months ago and because we work for the government, her application and fob fees were waived. She paid $15 and her $20 monthly fee for her and her husband. She raved about the place so I decided to check it out. I was told I could only receive 10% off the monthly fee of $40+. I had to pay $59 to activate the fob and another $200 for the activation fee. No freakin' thank you. And the manager of the gym I went to said it was the same owner for my friend's location and the one I went to. Seriously disappointed in this gym.

Kevin Minneapolis, MN

Take the time to read the reviews before considering this company. The Ramsey, MN location has been part of an experience I hope nobody has to go through. If your looking for a family friendly gym with any care or morals about their members, DO NOT consider Anytime Fitness. The owners of this location clearly don't care about the customer and the effects there staff comments have on there members. There are many other fitness companies out there to choose from. Stay clear of this location.

Michael White

This gym is IMPOSSIBLE TO GET RID OF. They ignored my request by email that they told me to send and which I sent on November 15 to cancel because I moved away. Three months later it is February 24th and after multiple requests to the gym and billing company (abcfinancial), I get a call today that I moved too close to another of their locations to leave, AND they want me to cancel in person which would be a 4 hour drive. My contract is over. These people are like herpes in your bank account. DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM!

Frankie Garza

Gym is expensive way overpriced for what you get I regret signing up here. I moved and stopped going to anytime called and tried to cancel my membership they wanted me to go though a process but I forgot to complete and have been getting threats from lawyers saying I owe them 700 dollars the guy literally called my whole family making it sound like I stole a car or something I was super angry. It's a month to month membership to begin with but I would never ever recommend this gym to anyone don't sign that contract !!!

Fredrick Moore

I was harrassed by the male staff after I had a talk with the manager to tell him to please leave me along he than came back the following week and called the police on me because I told him to please leave me along so I can work out. The people I was working out with ask why are you bothering this man he has done nothing wrong!!n I just need something to be done.

Erica Hutton Harrisonburg, VA

I moved and was 23.5 miles away from the gym and they only cancel for free if you are 25 miles, one way, from the gym. Cost me 130 dollars to cancel my membership for 1.5 miles. I don't know anyone that would travel 50 miles round trip each day to work out. I am a doctor and do not have the time for that, and they just could not understand how anyone does not have the time for that. Will NEVER EVER join or recommend this gym to ANYONE. And, this was my 2nd membership that I had with them because I really liked them.

Oleg

The staff provide false information to trick you into signing a long term contract that you can not get out of. Be Warned - 1 month termination notice is not actually 1 month, be really careful to read the whole contract, even if the staff are trying to rush you to sign it. Also, be aware that they may provide false information when you are trying to cancel also.

Guido Downers Grove, IL

Explained that I had not yet received OK from Dr. for strength training, so I would have to wait to sign up. Owner told me "No problem. We can cancel if we need to." He also told me the "deposit" for the FOB would be refunded if needed. Long story short, I was NOT OK'd by Dr, and the Owner would NOT cancel the contract, OR give me back the FOB "deposit". Stay away from them. Total rip-off (where "rip-off" means liars and cheats).

Tara Downingtown, PA

This place sucks. They lie to you about a "contract" never let you read it screw you over and tell you there's nothing that can be done about it. Why do I have to die, move or become disabled to cancel my membership. Ridiculous. Do not join if you're a "month to month" person and cannot commit to 6months. Life happens and people move on and they're too much of jerks to relalize it.

Patty Prohaska New Kensington, PA

The trainers/management are great until you stop pay the additional to continue classes not covered in the normal membership fee. After you choose not to continue the VERY expensive classes, the trainers/management treat you like a nobody. They don’t even say hello. It’s like you’re not even there.

James Sitter Jeffersonville, IN

Buyers beware!!! When you sign up for a membership you will pay for the first month in advance, perfectly understandable, but when you have to cancel your membership ( even due to a medical reason) the will take an additional month from you that you wont be able to use....no other gym's that i have been a part of does this...beware

Don Heisler Bailey, CO

Went in as a referral and after the trial the price went up to double and all the extra fees. This isn't what we were told in the beginning and they said because the location is convenient the price is worth it. Double the price and half the size with no locker rooms is not convenient at all! I will drive further for half the price and bigger gym.

Brittany Sheboygan, WI

I wanted to cancel my membership because within the first 2 months of working out there I had a terrible experience. Now, I get a bill in the bill from a debt collector from over $400. Seriously. Fed up with this company. Charge ridiculous rates and planet fitness is the way to go.