Chuck Runyon, Dave Mortensen, and Jeff Klinger founded Anytime Fitness in 2002 in St. Paul, Minnesota. All three men were previous business partners who successfully owned and operated, and then sold a local St. Paul fitness center several years ago focusing on the physical health and well-being of thousands of clients of all fitness levels. The idea for Anytime Fitness came after the founders worked as consultants for a firm that helped underperforming fitness clients’ increase their bottom line. As of 2015, Anytime Fitness has over 3,000 gym fitness locations and 2 million clients. The fitness club opened their first international location in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and has since then expanded to fitness clubs in Australia, Canada, Grand Cayman, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Poland, New Zealand, Qatar, and the United Kingdom. Anytime’s nationwide manifesto is to “Improve the self-esteem of the world.” The company is less concerned with how many pounds and inches its clients use but more focused on their improved quality of living and outlook on life. In 2011, Anytime Fitness developed a health and fitness app for their website that is available to members and serves as a platform to download workouts, track food, and interact with other users to meet fitness goals.

#1 Planet Fitness chevron_right
3.8
#2 Vasa chevron_right
3.8
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Anytime Fitness rate and contracts
  • Upfront fees
  • Equipment
  • Fitness classes
  • Trainers and nutrition
  • Amenities
  • Anytime Fitness App

Anytime Fitness Rate and Contracts

Anytime Fitness membership fees and contracts depend on the kind of membership you apply for and the location, but the average cost is typically $30 to $36/month; however, in other clubs, the membership fee is $44 for a single monthly membership and $39 for a 12-month membership. Couples can also enroll in the gym usually at a discounted price when compared to applying individually. If you are not sure of the monthly fee, you can check the Anytime Fitness Membership Agreement where you will also find information on cancellation fees. The yearly membership also varies depending on the location, although the rate is usually in the $450 to $500 range. At some locations, Anytime Fitness offers a free month of memberships to the top male and female attendees each month. This means if you are a "gym rat" you have a chance to save money. Overall, Anytime's membership fees are less expensive than some of the nation's most popular gym chains, making it more affordable for the average working person to maintain a monthly membership. One membership gives you access to thousands of anytime fitness locations worldwide, so if you travel regularly, you can go to the nearest Anytime gym for no additional fee. Several gyms we reviewed only allowed members free fitness training access to one location.

The fitness club's gym membership fees may also be affected by offers, discounts, and promotions offered separately by location. each gym within the franchise is independently owned and operated by individual franchisees. Each state may also have a different cancellation fee or policy. For the accurate pricing details, contact a nearby location.

Upfront Fees

Anytime members have to pay an enrollment fee of $50. The company offers members a "No Member Left Behind" program. This is a program for all new members where they get a free 30-day "get-started" program with two complimentary training sessions, nutritional recommendations, and a customized workout plan. With Anytime Fitness, you also get a free month if you get friends and family members to join and if you refer four or more people, you get one year free. These perks are unique to Anytime as our reviewers have not found similar introductory offers at other gyms. The $50 activation fee is less expensive than the average fitness center, many of which charge upfront fees of $75 or more.

Equipment

When it comes to health and fitness equipment, Anytime Fitness gyms offer:

• Cardio Equipment
  • Cable crossovers
  • Kettlebells
  • Lateral X trainers
  • AMT cross trainers

Each of Anytime's gyms typically has the same equipment, with the exception of a few offering Tan Beds and Hydro Massage Beds. Due to each location being independently owned and operated, the set-ups all include free weights, Nautilus, stationary bikes, spin class bikes, Studio with Video Workouts, ellipticals and treadmills.

Fitness Classes

Customers at the health club enjoy group fitness classes offered free with their membership at fitness locations. These classes include cycling, strength and conditioning, silver sneakers, step aerobics, Zumba, Yoga, and Pilates. There are some major gyms that offer more of a variety of physical group fitness health and wellness classes but certain classes may come at an additional price. The advantage of participating in group exercise classes is that you will be paired with individuals of all fitness levels to not only help you feel comfortable, but to help you reach your fitness and wellness goals.

Trainers and Nutrition

With Anytime Fitness, there is no up-selling or pressure of any kind to work with an on-site personal trainer. All staff trainers are in tune with members' abilities and goals and work diligently with one-on-one training in a friendly atmosphere. Customers especially like that Anytime offers a free fitness consult and guidance from personal trainers who aim to educate, not get them to purchase personal training sessions. Members can choose between group training and one-on-one sessions. Pricing is not discussed until you schedule a full inquiry and go to the local gym to inquire.

Amenities

Anytime's biggest unique selling proposition is its 24/7 availability, which gives members access around-the-clock, even on holidays. Members receive a special "FOB" access key to get into the facility 24/7. The company ensures member's safety through cameras located on the premises. The company also has alarm fobs members can wear around their neck after hours that allows you to call for emergency service with a push of a button if you need assistance. Anytime even conducts background checks on every member, which can make customers feel more secure or more violated regarding privacy.

Anytime Fitness App

Do you find yourself struggling to workout if it requires you to go to the gym? Many people struggle with this as some fitness locations are either not close or simply not convenient. The Anytime Fitness App allows for people everywhere to fuel their confidence. Some of the features on this fitness App include:

• 1,100+ workout plants
  • Goal setting capabilities
  • Goal tracking
  • Health Feed
  • View Membership information
  • Update personal information
  • View gym history
  • View, confirm, and cancel appointments
  • Find gym and fitness locations
  • View gym offers and promotions

The Bad

• Hidden fees
  • Cleanliness
  • Other available amenities

Hidden Fees

Many reviews have complaints about Anytime Fitness prices and "hidden fees" and the fact that it does not advertise its fee structure online. If you're able to track down a person who is willing to answer your questions on the phone about their payment plans, hidden and initiation fees, you will be able to alleviate much of the confusion and headache if you decide Anytime is the gym for you. We did, however, find a hidden fee called "key fob deposit" for $86.96. Anytime states that this deposit will be refunded after your annual contract (or lease) ends. Some customers who end their contract prematurely report difficulty getting this deposit refunded. A $38 fob key deposit is also charged to trial membership users if they want to use the gym after business hours. Some customers feel like this is deceitful since the offer is advertised as a one-week free trial.

Cleanliness

According to Anytime's website, every club under the Anytime Fitness franchise is cleaned and maintained according to the highest standards. Customers generally have not commented about the gym's cleanliness in any significant detail. We did find that the level of hygiene varies from location to location. Overall, Anytime's cleanliness is average.

Other Available Amenities

Other amenities the company offers at its fitness centers are free Wi-Fi, private restrooms, and private showers. Anytime is not replete with upscale amenities like many of their competitors who offer indoor/outdoor pools, spas, steam rooms, massage beds, cafés, etc. Also, Anytime does not offer childcare the way similar gyms of its size do.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Anytime Fitness is a get in, get your workout done, and get out type of facility. There are not a lot of additional amenities at these gyms like childcare or steam rooms that can add variety to your fitness journey. Most have a very basic gym layout, with very few locations offering swimming pool services. Due to the company's facilities being open 24/7, we recommend Anytime Fitness gyms for anyone who is a "night owl," works the graveyard shift but wants a gym to work out in regularly outside of business hours or on holidays. We also recommend Anytime for people who travel a lot and want a gym membership that allows them access to any location at no additional charge. Anytime is also a viable option for anyone who doesn't want to be pressured by personal trainers to buy training sessions with workout programs and desires a warm, community-like environment. We do not recommend those wanting an upscale spa-like gym with lots of open space to try Anytime, as many customers complain about the small anytime fitness locations and limited space. Anytime's fitness prices and monthly dues are affordable for the average working individual at $44/month for a single person membership at a local club. There are hidden fees, so before you sign a contract make sure you ask plenty of questions.

2.8

kiera healey-fort

April 2nd, 2017 Frackville, PA

The gym is clean and well maintained but the whole contract thing is a pain. I haven't had time to use it for 3 months but they'll keep getting my money cause I'm stuck. It's also on the expensive side to join. Definitely check ur area for other options.

Kevin

March 11th, 2017 Minneapolis, MN

Take the time to read the reviews before considering this company. The Ramsey, MN location has been part of an experience I hope nobody has to go through. If your looking for a family friendly gym with any care or morals about their members, DO NOT consider Anytime Fitness. The owners of this location clearly don't care about the customer and the effects there staff comments have on there members. There are many other fitness companies out there to choose from. Stay clear of this location.

Michael White

February 25th, 2017

This gym is IMPOSSIBLE TO GET RID OF. They ignored my request by email that they told me to send and which I sent on November 15 to cancel because I moved away. Three months later it is February 24th and after multiple requests to the gym and billing company (abcfinancial), I get a call today that I moved too close to another of their locations to leave, AND they want me to cancel in person which would be a 4 hour drive. My contract is over. These people are like herpes in your bank account. DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM!

Frankie Garza

February 6th, 2017

Gym is expensive way overpriced for what you get I regret signing up here. I moved and stopped going to anytime called and tried to cancel my membership they wanted me to go though a process but I forgot to complete and have been getting threats from lawyers saying I owe them 700 dollars the guy literally called my whole family making it sound like I stole a car or something I was super angry. It's a month to month membership to begin with but I would never ever recommend this gym to anyone don't sign that contract !!!

jack

December 12th, 2016

I've been training in the Anytime Fitness for a while. I like running on the treadmill. Lately, I was banned for Anytime Fitness Kew, because I was running for too fast, the reasons being my hands are on the handles, I told them I was testing my heart rate. But they said, that's unsafer manner. Before I was banned, I asked the manager, Simon Olive, what does it mean by unsafer manner, holding on the handles or too fast. When he did not reply my email. When I go and run, he banned me, i asked him why. He said, this is my gym, I do not want you here. I think he is just unprofessional. When I complained to the head office, the head office is just awful and said, if you want, I can cancel your membership. How rude and how unprofessional. They just do not know how to respect their members.

Fredrick Moore

November 23rd, 2016

I was harrassed by the male staff after I had a talk with the manager to tell him to please leave me along he than came back the following week and called the police on me because I told him to please leave me along so I can work out. The people I was working out with ask why are you bothering this man he has done nothing wrong!!n I just need something to be done.

Erica Hutton

October 22nd, 2016 Harrisonburg, VA

I moved and was 23.5 miles away from the gym and they only cancel for free if you are 25 miles, one way, from the gym. Cost me 130 dollars to cancel my membership for 1.5 miles. I don't know anyone that would travel 50 miles round trip each day to work out. I am a doctor and do not have the time for that, and they just could not understand how anyone does not have the time for that. Will NEVER EVER join or recommend this gym to ANYONE. And, this was my 2nd membership that I had with them because I really liked them.

Oleg

October 19th, 2016

The staff provide false information to trick you into signing a long term contract that you can not get out of. Be Warned - 1 month termination notice is not actually 1 month, be really careful to read the whole contract, even if the staff are trying to rush you to sign it. Also, be aware that they may provide false information when you are trying to cancel also.

Courtney

October 6th, 2016 Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Consistently had a bad experience with Paul @ Anytime Fitness in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. For starters, when first issued my membership I was never given ANY paperwork of the agreement. I have NEVER had a membership with any company that withheld that information- Sketchy!! Paul never answered my numerous phone calls. One time, did I ever get a phone call back- and I had to reach out to him maybe 4 times to receive that call. I work in customer service- and this guy is a joke. Simply put- any company in sales or customer service needs to put the RIGHT PEOPLE in place to do that job. When I went to cancel my membership, not only was I incorrectly billed MORE money than I was supposed to be for my last month, but Paul also told me I would not be reimbursed for it. So I came in face to face to talk with him. I was then handed off to deal with another employee- that informed me she works in an entirely different store. She was helpful. After taking the time to actually look at my paperwork, she handled my problem with ease. If this company needs employees to come from other locations to get the job done- doesn't that say enough? I would give this location and this employee, Paul - zero stars. Emily, from another location was especially hopeful- and I'm sure she is providing much better customer service at her location. Bad experience all around!

adrian

September 16th, 2016

The gym located in Taunton it's very poor for such a brand

Klaude Furlong

September 7th, 2016

This gym and its owners are EXTREMELY misleading and unprofessional. I first went into their location in Oct 2014 to get info. I basically told them I wasn't interested in contracts and being locked in as I had just come out of a contract with GoodLife and wasn't interested in locking myself again. The rep assured me that all I needed to do was send in a request to terminate the contract 30 days prior to termination and ALL would be good. I believed her and signed the contract. She NEVER went over the contract or the fine print that indicated that the only way to "cancel" the contract was if you were medically incapable of training or you were moving to another location in another city. After a few months, I wasn't impressed with the facilities or the team so I sent in my cancellation letter with a supplementary payment for the month and expected to be done with them. Not only was my letter not accepted, my account was placed into collections with an agency who then began harassing me for payment. When I contacted the owner by email, she advised me that ALL her reps read ALL the fine prints of the contract with the client at signature and have the client initial each section of the contract as proof they have reviewed it together. When I emailed her a copy of my contract where she could clearly see that no initials of mine were anywhere on the contract because the rep had not followed THEIR procedure (otherwise I would have never signed) instead of an apology, I got more harassment and collection letters and now they have gone so far as to triple what I supposedly owe them and have tainted my credit bureau with their fraud and irresponsible behavior. I have the proof if anyone wants it. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE. THEY WILL DECEIVE YOU AND TAKE YOU TO THE CLEANERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

Guido

August 24th, 2016 Downers Grove, IL

Explained that I had not yet received OK from Dr. for strength training, so I would have to wait to sign up. Owner told me "No problem. We can cancel if we need to." He also told me the "deposit" for the FOB would be refunded if needed. Long story short, I was NOT OK'd by Dr, and the Owner would NOT cancel the contract, OR give me back the FOB "deposit". Stay away from them. Total rip-off (where "rip-off" means liars and cheats).

Kal

May 6th, 2016 Saint Charles, IL

Very bad customer service and culb is dirty. They still charge you after finished your contract because you have to inform them 60 days before stoped your account even after the finish the contract. Lolllllll

Tara

April 19th, 2016 Downingtown, PA

This place sucks. They lie to you about a "contract" never let you read it screw you over and tell you there's nothing that can be done about it. Why do I have to die, move or become disabled to cancel my membership. Ridiculous. Do not join if you're a "month to month" person and cannot commit to 6months. Life happens and people move on and they're too much of jerks to relalize it.