Anytime Fitness Logo

Anytime Fitness

Is This Your Business?

4.0

Chuck Runyon, Dave Mortensen, and Jeff Klinger founded Anytime Fitness in 2002 in St. Paul, Minnesota. All three men were previous business partners who successfully owned and operated, and then sold a local St. Paul fitness center several years ago focusing on the physical health and well-being of thousands of clients of all fitness levels. The idea for Anytime Fitness came after the founders worked as consultants for a firm that helped underperforming fitness clients’ increase their bottom line. As of 2015, Anytime Fitness has over 3,000 gym fitness locations and 2 million clients. The fitness club opened their first international location in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and has since then expanded to fitness clubs in Australia, Canada, Grand Cayman, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Poland, New Zealand, Qatar, and the United Kingdom. Anytime’s nationwide manifesto is to “Improve the self-esteem of the world.” The company is less concerned with how many pounds and inches its clients use but more focused on their improved quality of living and outlook on life. In 2011, Anytime Fitness developed a health and fitness app for their website that is available to members and serves as a platform to download workouts, track food, and interact with other users to meet fitness goals.

Planet Fitness Logo
3.6
Gold's Gym Logo
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Anytime Fitness rate and contracts
  • Upfront fees
  • Equipment
  • Fitness classes
  • Trainers and nutrition
  • Amenities
  • Anytime Fitness App

Anytime Fitness Rate and Contracts

Anytime Fitness membership fees and contracts depend on the kind of membership you apply for and the location, but the average cost is typically $30 to $36/month; however, in other clubs, the membership fee is $44 for a single monthly membership and $39 for a 12-month membership. Couples can also enroll in the gym usually at a discounted price when compared to applying individually. If you are not sure of the monthly fee, you can check the Anytime Fitness Membership Agreement where you will also find information on cancellation fees. The yearly membership also varies depending on the location, although the rate is usually in the $450 to $500 range. At some locations, Anytime Fitness offers a free month of memberships to the top male and female attendees each month. This means if you are a "gym rat" you have a chance to save money. Overall, Anytime's membership fees are less expensive than some of the nation's most popular gym chains, making it more affordable for the average working person to maintain a monthly membership. One membership gives you access to thousands of anytime fitness locations worldwide, so if you travel regularly, you can go to the nearest Anytime gym for no additional fee. Several gyms we reviewed only allowed members free fitness training access to one location.

The fitness club's gym membership fees may also be affected by offers, discounts, and promotions offered separately by location. each gym within the franchise is independently owned and operated by individual franchisees. Each state may also have a different cancellation fee or policy. For the accurate pricing details, contact a nearby location.

Upfront Fees

Anytime members have to pay an enrollment fee of $50. The company offers members a "No Member Left Behind" program. This is a program for all new members where they get a free 30-day "get-started" program with two complimentary training sessions, nutritional recommendations, and a customized workout plan. With Anytime Fitness, you also get a free month if you get friends and family members to join and if you refer four or more people, you get one year free. These perks are unique to Anytime as our reviewers have not found similar introductory offers at other gyms. The $50 activation fee is less expensive than the average fitness center, many of which charge upfront fees of $75 or more.

Equipment

When it comes to health and fitness equipment, Anytime Fitness gyms offer:

• Cardio Equipment
  • Cable crossovers
  • Kettlebells
  • Lateral X trainers
  • AMT cross trainers

Each of Anytime's gyms typically has the same equipment, with the exception of a few offering Tan Beds and Hydro Massage Beds. Due to each location being independently owned and operated, the set-ups all include free weights, Nautilus, stationary bikes, spin class bikes, Studio with Video Workouts, ellipticals and treadmills.

Fitness Classes

Customers at the health club enjoy group fitness classes offered free with their membership at fitness locations. These classes include cycling, strength and conditioning, silver sneakers, step aerobics, Zumba, Yoga, and Pilates. There are some major gyms that offer more of a variety of physical group fitness health and wellness classes but certain classes may come at an additional price. The advantage of participating in group exercise classes is that you will be paired with individuals of all fitness levels to not only help you feel comfortable, but to help you reach your fitness and wellness goals.

Trainers and Nutrition

With Anytime Fitness, there is no up-selling or pressure of any kind to work with an on-site personal trainer. All staff trainers are in tune with members' abilities and goals and work diligently with one-on-one training in a friendly atmosphere. Customers especially like that Anytime offers a free fitness consult and guidance from personal trainers who aim to educate, not get them to purchase personal training sessions. Members can choose between group training and one-on-one sessions. Pricing is not discussed until you schedule a full inquiry and go to the local gym to inquire.

Amenities

Anytime's biggest unique selling proposition is its 24/7 availability, which gives members access around-the-clock, even on holidays. Members receive a special "FOB" access key to get into the facility 24/7. The company ensures member's safety through cameras located on the premises. The company also has alarm fobs members can wear around their neck after hours that allows you to call for emergency service with a push of a button if you need assistance. Anytime even conducts background checks on every member, which can make customers feel more secure or more violated regarding privacy.

Anytime Fitness App

Do you find yourself struggling to workout if it requires you to go to the gym? Many people struggle with this as some fitness locations are either not close or simply not convenient. The Anytime Fitness App allows for people everywhere to fuel their confidence. Some of the features on this fitness App include:

• 1,100+ workout plants
  • Goal setting capabilities
  • Goal tracking
  • Health Feed
  • View Membership information
  • Update personal information
  • View gym history
  • View, confirm, and cancel appointments
  • Find gym and fitness locations
  • View gym offers and promotions

The Bad

• Hidden fees
  • Cleanliness
  • Other available amenities

Hidden Fees

Many reviews have complaints about Anytime Fitness prices and "hidden fees" and the fact that it does not advertise its fee structure online. If you're able to track down a person who is willing to answer your questions on the phone about their payment plans, hidden and initiation fees, you will be able to alleviate much of the confusion and headache if you decide Anytime is the gym for you. We did, however, find a hidden fee called "key fob deposit" for $86.96. Anytime states that this deposit will be refunded after your annual contract (or lease) ends. Some customers who end their contract prematurely report difficulty getting this deposit refunded. A $38 fob key deposit is also charged to trial membership users if they want to use the gym after business hours. Some customers feel like this is deceitful since the offer is advertised as a one-week free trial.

Cleanliness

According to Anytime's website, every club under the Anytime Fitness franchise is cleaned and maintained according to the highest standards. Customers generally have not commented about the gym's cleanliness in any significant detail. We did find that the level of hygiene varies from location to location. Overall, Anytime's cleanliness is average.

Other Available Amenities

Other amenities the company offers at its fitness centers are free Wi-Fi, private restrooms, and private showers. Anytime is not replete with upscale amenities like many of their competitors who offer indoor/outdoor pools, spas, steam rooms, massage beds, cafés, etc. Also, Anytime does not offer childcare the way similar gyms of its size do.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Anytime Fitness is a get in, get your workout done, and get out type of facility. There are not a lot of additional amenities at these gyms like childcare or steam rooms that can add variety to your fitness journey. Most have a very basic gym layout, with very few locations offering swimming pool services. Due to the company's facilities being open 24/7, we recommend Anytime Fitness gyms for anyone who is a "night owl," works the graveyard shift but wants a gym to work out in regularly outside of business hours or on holidays. We also recommend Anytime for people who travel a lot and want a gym membership that allows them access to any location at no additional charge. Anytime is also a viable option for anyone who doesn't want to be pressured by personal trainers to buy training sessions with workout programs and desires a warm, community-like environment. We do not recommend those wanting an upscale spa-like gym with lots of open space to try Anytime, as many customers complain about the small anytime fitness locations and limited space. Anytime's fitness prices and monthly dues are affordable for the average working individual at $44/month for a single person membership at a local club. There are hidden fees, so before you sign a contract make sure you ask plenty of questions.

2.7

fearlesssalmon Van Wert, OH

Sanitation/Cleanliness. It does not exist at Anytime Van Wert, Oh. The place is usually dirty, normally it carries an odd odor. I can't even count the amount of times I have sat down to use the restroom just to find the toiletry dispenser empty. I hardly have access to the facility. My fob just randomly stops working ALL THE TIME & local management has done nothing to rectify the issue long term. It is a constantly reoccurring issue although we have never been late on a payment. I literally have to scan in with my fiancés door fob. I work long hours, normally out of town. So. Me doing so means that my fiancé can't get in. Why are we paying for two memberships???? Club management hardly even returns my calls. I have uploaded my call logs to prove not only the frequency of the issue, but the severity of the club managements deficiency. I have given up calling every time the issue occurs because it has become pointless. This is also a "Text only facility" They leave their voicemail full so that they don't have to deal with club issues in a timely manner.. Or... At all. Texting is a waste of my time. Why should I send 10 texts to resolve an issue that a 2 minute phone call would resolve?? I normally work through Anytime fitness's staffed hours "10am-7pm". So if my fob doesn't work. I can not get in. My fiancé went in today to inquire about what is going on; just to be called a liar by the manager Brielle. The same manager who told us that she couldn't explain our contract to us because "the girl who understands, it isn't working today" Oh, And apparently, to cancel my membership it costs 1,1147.60$???? I was just told this today, 04/06/2021 Seriously? Terrible, terrible company, Ran by terrible people. Had that been in our contract we NEVER would have signed it. As far as company feedback goes, Anytime fitness's website only has a broken customer feedback page where I can not even select a location to file a complaint about. It doesn't work for any state or location. There is seemingly no way to contact corporate or regional management??? It is obvious that Anytime Fitness, as a whole; does not care. I have tried getting into contact with corporate through email, the local club, I'm told. "that's now how this works" then how does it work?? I just shut up and let you take our money without you granting us the club access that you promised? No, I don't think so. On the few occasions that I have made it into the facility during operation hours.. The staff does nothing. Club manager sits in her office and stares at her phone, some younger employee upfront sits in a chair by the door and stares out the window.. that is about it. I have seen Element Fitness Trainers clean, but no Anytime Employees. Every now and then another club member will stop in to the management office.. I normally turn my music off... and I have overhear them gossiping about other club members... Quite rude stuff too. NOT ACCEPTABLE. I'm assuming the club manager that you have in place over the Anytime Fitness Van Wert location is an accurate representation of the company. Otherwise, why would she be in the position that she is?? If that is indeed true... The entire entity is terrible & disgusting to it's core policies and I do not want to be involved with the company. In no way shape or form.

Lizzie Denver, CO

With becoming overly disappointed with the cleanliness and maintenance of the Anytime Fitness location in Sedalia, Missouri, I decided to cancel my membership - halfway through my contract. I have been told that my refund will be back in my account within the next 3 - 5 business day. But, I have a horrible feeling that I may have to continously chase this up. This location is happy to bring in more equipment and organized, storage shelving but they have not made a chance to check which current equipment/machines needed to be fixed or replaced. They had a constant struggle with keeping the location clean, sanitation bottles around the building; along with, paper towels filled in the dispensers. It is frustrating to see a neighborhood gym/local business not fulfill on their side of the contract.

Grace Honolulu, HI

Contract is a trap and they will find any reason to force you to stay in contract unless you agree to pay an absurd cancellation fee. Corporate allows this behavior by giving you a template answer “each gym are independently owned and your contract is between you and that owner”. COVID doesn’t seem to bother them at all either, same cancellation fee, poor customer service and they will just threaten you to send your account to collections. I have never seen a company this heartless.

Henry J London, ENG

Trash customer service. Kept sneakily trying to charge me during COVID times after suspending memberships.

CDW Saint Charles, IL

I had been a member of this gym since 2017. While it was not overly clean I was not worried about illness until the outbreak of covid 19. They made it exceptionally difficult to cancel the membership. Even with covid 19 I had to go to the gym to pay and fill out the cancellation form after trying to email the form to the manager and he said he did not receive it, charged me another month and said I had to prove I had sent the cancellation. He also did not wear a mask in his office 4 feet away from me. When I questioned him he said he only wore when on the floor. Keep copies of everything and do not do anything over email.

walter e crockran North Little Rock, AR

I enjoy it because they are always open. When I want to talk to staff members I know when to go. The ones that I go to are clean and not many people are in the gym so that is really nice to me. Staff is super friendly and helpful

Andrew Lake Auckland, AUK

Don't sign up to AnyTime Fitness unless you want to be locked into a contract and have to battle to exit.

alan peneye ,

Filthy never clean the showers well overpriced it's just ure standard 25 pound a month gym would never go back glad my 12 months is up

Christine Winkeleth Gig Harbor, WA

You are on your own, terrible customer service, expensive. Sorry I joined!

Farookh Syed Roswell, GA

I was not looking for a fancy workout place. Just one very close to home that gives me range of equipment that I can use Anytime (no pun intended) I absolutely love my gym in Roswell, has extremely friendly staff and is very very clean. I get all i need and more and for what I pay through my health coverage i cannot imagine a better deal.

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

Me and My husband were members of Anytime Fitness for over a year. It was an ok experience. We felt there was never any staff available or present for questions/concerns, equipment wasn't kept up well and felt run down. When we decided to cancel it took a long time because we had difficulty reaching anyone.

AJ Wakefield Tucson, AZ

Their gyms are always nice and clean, I loved the convenience of the 24 hr gym, especially when I would get off work late.

Randi Nelson San José, SJ

I love anytime fitness because they have nice quality equipment and a friendly environment.

Laura Melbourne, VIC

Whilst the quality of the gym itself differs depending on which one you attend a large portion of them lack quality equipment and some even lack air conditioning on a 35 degree and above day. If signing up for a one year contract they also continue to charge you outside of your contract without any written warning or verbal notification. Without a doubt the worst gym franchise I have ever been too. I am still clueless as to how they remain so successful despite awful service, equipment and facilities.

April Ashland, KY

not impressed with the ashland ky location at all. i called and inquired about the rates and if they offered a student discount as i’m in college and money is tight but i’m trying to stay healthy. they refused to tell me anything without coming on a tour which should’ve been a red flag to me right away. i go on the tour and as the managers are explaining how it works to me we get to the prices. for a 1year membership at base level it is 22$ every two weeks when i vocalized my weariness to be able to afford it i was assured that personal training and workouts made for you were a part of the deal, so i warrior said yes after being promised a 30Day garuntee all money back if i decided i didn’t like it. I was then charged a 50$ fee to get a tag to get me in and out of the gym and was told to come back next week for my evaluation. Disgruntled but hopeful that this would all be worth it in the end. I show up for my fitness consultation and have my measurements taken and goals assessed, and after a 15 baseline workout i was told to do what we just did ONCE A WEEK would be 130$ in addition to my 44$ monthly dues. After explaining that this is not what i thought i was getting into and that i can’t afford it, i was pitched slightly cheaper programs (group workouts and classes 70$ additional fees per month) i left feeling like a fool. All my attempts to get ahold of staff have been futile and all texts with the manger have been ignored. very disappointed.

ROBERT E WHITE Vandergrift, PA

Joined In Leechburg,pa 3 Weeks Ago Due To My Blood Sugar And Having Over 30 Operations I Need Someone Who Knows What There Doing Well Melissa And Sandy Do Talked With Me About Eating And How To Work Out Slowly Well Sugar Has Dropped From 200 To 100 -110 Weight Dropped 10Pds They Care About Me Its Not A Diet Its Eating 5 Times A Day I Work Out Mon-Friday This Place Is Great They Dont Let You Hurt Yourself About Being Clean Its Spotless Because We All Keep It That Way Lisa Knows What She Is Doing About Setting You Up As A Member Not Pushing Anything On You Its Up To You All I Can Say Thanks Alot

take7 Sandy, UT

Tried it out but it didn't have as many equipment to go around. Wasn't that busy either. Was a little small but it was a smaller town. Was clean and organized. Didn't go back.

Jessica Eagle Mountain, UT

I like Anytime Fitness. It’s not as crowded as most gyms and the hours are great.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Anytime Fitness offers round the clock gym availability for me. When I work night shifts, many other gyms are just not open. This offers me a great location, at a great price, and at my convenience.

Hallieford Arlington, TX

Anytime Fitness is great for the Sunday and middle of the night workouts when other gyms are closed.

JR Suguturaga Orem, UT

The one that I used to frequent was smaller than normal but it provided what was needed to get in a good workout.

Rommie Bishop III Rexburg, ID

I attended an Anytime Fitness in Washington State for a month, and heavily enjoyed the heavy military discount. It was a great gym that suited all my needs, and of course, the fact that I could go literally anytime helped me reach my weightlifting goals... bro.

Lindsey Newman American Fork, UT

I have been to Anytime Fitness a couple of times and got an overall good feeling. Clean equipment, plenty of variety in equipment and I also love that they participate in the Freeplay App

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

I think Anytime fitness is an average level of gym, it has good things, but nothing that overly impresses me with their equipment or services. It is a clean gym though.

A’lea Richardson Lakeland, FL

Great gym with lots of great equipment and an affordable monthly membership. Love this gym!

Angelina Hamilton Gulfport, MS

The one I go to is a little small. Love the open 24 hours. Just wish there was more equipment.

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

Loved the convenance of the location. My health insurance covered it which made it a great deal

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

I don’t love any time fitness. I do like that they are open anytime you want to work out but it feels cramped and sometimes a little creepy when there’s only one other person in there with you.

Patty Prohaska New Kensington, PA

The trainers/management are great until you stop pay the additional to continue classes not covered in the normal membership fee. After you choose not to continue the VERY expensive classes, the trainers/management treat you like a nobody. They don’t even say hello. It’s like you’re not even there.

Stacey Meyer Okotoks, AB

DO NOT purchase a membership with this company. I paid for one full year up front, and 30 days later the Anytime franchise I paid at and for, was shut down for not paying their lease. After NUMEROUS attempts to contact the Head Office, and the email sent to me when they announced the closing, I have had ZERO response from them, and it has been over a month. So, save your money, find the next closest gym that is not part of the Anytime franchise...where they are happy to take your money, but but care nothing about you once they have it!

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Super clean equipment that I can get a good workout in anytime. I love going either super late at night or early in the morning when there are less people these. The hours are just awesome.

Luca

I have to pay over 80$ per month (39.90$ for two weeks). Is that normal?!

Todd Homitz Evans City, PA

Great training facility for the money. Top of the line equipment and great employees.

Henrique Kikuchi Key West, FL

Stay away! The gym is small and lacks equipment. READ YOU CONTRACT BEFORE SIGNING UP! The cancellation fee is a JOKE! I had an 18 months contract and when I decided to cancel I still had about 1 year of the contract. They will hold you hostage on this gym and ask you to pay the amount for the year left in your contract that you not going to use, no matter what! Luckily I was able to move to a place where I could cancel using the distance from the gym rule that is in the contract. So the catch is that they tell you that the cancellation fee is $250. but they do not tell you that this amount is only if you cancel within the first month of the contract. After that, you can only cancel if you pay the remaining balance of the contract. I got really upset with this place. Shady business screwing people that just want to exercise.

Kaydence Bonino Riverton, UT

I did the book camp here for a few months and loved it! The instructors were really nice and the price didn't seem to expensive.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

I had a membership with them once and the customer service was great. We were immediately greeted at the door and treated as if we were old friends. The only thing I would change is that there isn't anyone always around after hours to answer any questions.

Carol J Malloy Port Orange, FL

We joined the gym at the end of July of this year, it finally opened the day before yesterday, October 30th. I told them that because I had to wait so long and was never kept updated or notified of the opening and it was 4 months from the time that I had signed up and it wasn't my fault that they couldn't get the right permits to open but they didn't have any problems with taking money out of my account. Now they want to charge me $59 to cancel the membership. I have called the main office and tried talking with them and just got the brush off, went to the gym itself and got nothing but the runaround and wasn't able to speak to anyone in charge face to face. Why should I be held accountable for a contract when they couldn't pass for permits with the town? They didn't open when we were told they were going to open but I'm told that they can't be held responsible for that. Customer service isn't there!

bailey jo Orem, UT

Less than stellar equipment and more expensive than it should be for the quality of equipment.

Alex Key West, FL

It’s awful!!!! still charging my card after my membership expired!!!

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

This was a great facility. The equipment was clean and worked well. I like how there are so many around that I can always find one to work out at.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

Anytime Fitness is a great gym to work out at. Lots of machines available and is only busy during busy hours. A little on the pricey side, but great for those looking to make gyms a bigger part of their lives.

April American Fork, UT

Anytime fitness is a great place to go and work out! I enjoy their variety of classes and I appreciate that you have access at any hour, day or night, because you had a key to the facilities.

Alyssa Boren American Fork, UT

I went into the one by my home and it was so small! It didn't have a daycare for your kids so I had to pass!

Christopher L Muench

Decent gym until you shop around. There are better choices on the area. Especially the GoodLife @ Deerfoot City. GoodLife is staffed 24/7 including tanning plus similar rates and better cleaner facilities. I've been with Anytime Symons Valley for over two years. I can tell you that it was a clean gym when I started and the equipment was fairly modern. Not so much anymore. I have photos of the same pieces of garbage sitting in the middle of the tanning room for weeks before being cleaned up. Mirrors will also have the same finger prints for weeks. Also, trying to cancel a membership will not be a pleasant experience. My membership expired a month ago and the owners have ignored my emails and phone calls so that my membership "automatically renewed." Honestly, most members are still there only because they can't cancel or get out of there contracts. The equipment is only good, as long as it's not broken. Otherwise it may be down for a while. If you are reading this know that I have posted great reviews and photos in the past, on FB, Google and Yelp however, I honestly only left positive reviews for free stuff from the owner... definitely look elsewhere and if you are a member trying to get out, contact me for advice. The owners will do everything to keep you in you contract for Life!

Thomas Bedford, IN

Good clean gym. I can confirm the key fob prices are accurate .

James Sitter Jeffersonville, IN

Buyers beware!!! When you sign up for a membership you will pay for the first month in advance, perfectly understandable, but when you have to cancel your membership ( even due to a medical reason) the will take an additional month from you that you wont be able to use....no other gym's that i have been a part of does this...beware

Tracy Womack Cedar City, UT

Anytime Fitness is one of the best gyms out there. They have great and clean facilities.

Ken

I go to the geraldton anytime fitness, they dont reward members who have been there 5 plus years, i was paying $50 per month for the last year, my membership expired, now they want to charge me $75. And the icing on the cake is there is about 7 pieces of equipment that have been broken for the last 9 months with no sign of being fixed, the out of order equipment has been a problem since i started going there 5 years ago, im assuming its the same problem for all anytime fitness clubs in Western Australia.

Mazi Marcel Womack Cedar City, UT

I love anytime fitness. They always have the latest equipment and it is always well taken care of and clean.

Char Cape Girardeau, MO

I’d give it Zero if I could. After a 7 year membership I moved and needed to cancel. They make it virtually impossible and it’s taken 3 months of hassle.