24 Hour Fitness Logo

24 Hour Fitness

Is This Your Business?

6.2

LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021

24 Hour Fitness has been in business for over 30 years, with 484 locations in 18 states throughout the U.S. As the name suggests, the gym is open 24 hours a day, and offers a wide range of amenities and options for varying skill levels. The company was founded in 1983 as 24 Hour Nautilus by friends Mark Mastrov and Leonard Schlemm. 24 Hour Fitness is the third largest privately-owned and operated fitness center chain behind Gold's Gym and Fitness First. It currently employs over 18,000 people in the United States, and an undisclosed number of employees working in a customer services call-centers in the Philippines and Las Vegas, Nevada. The culture at 24 Hour Fitness is designed to appeal to a wide array of people and help all of them meet their fitness goals. It is often referred to as the “melting pot” of gym chains, and fits the bill for many: from the individual with an erratic work schedule, the parent with young children, the person looking for a group fitness dynamic, to the heavy lifters. 24 Hour’s ability to meet the needs of these varying groups of people has earned it a reputation of having an inviting and dynamic culture helping people to become stronger and healthier everyday.

Planet Fitness Logo
3.6
Gold's Gym Logo
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Price and Contracts
  • Hidden Fees
  • Classes
  • Trainers and Nutrition

Price and Contracts

24 Hour Fitness charges different pricing options and contract lengths depending on what gym membership plan you select. The most popular membership is the Basic membership package. If you stay with the company for a year, your monthly fee drops to a great deal of $26.99 per month. Average membership fees run from $29.99 to $34.99/month. These fees are competitive with other fitness centers who charge over $50 to $150/month in monthly fees.

Hidden Fees

There are no hidden fees with 24 Hour Fitness: no cancellation fees, no cleaning fee and no maintenance fee. We found many gyms to have at least one hidden fee. For example, one gym we reviewed charged customers a $10 holding fee if you wanted to freeze your membership due to illness or relocation. 24 Hour Fitness is highly favorable for customers in this regard.

Classes

Access to all of its group classes comes standard with the basic membership package. Some gyms charge additional fees for group classes on top of the monthly membership dues, making 24 Hour Fitness a more cost-effective choice for fitness members. This is highly favorable compared to certain gyms who charge additional fees for some classes or who force you to upgrade to a higher-cost package in order to get unlimited access to these classes. We liked the variation of fitness classes that are available, which include cardio, Boot Camp (boxing, free weights, jumping rope, and inner class competitions), cycling, dance studios, kickboxing and martial arts, Les Mills (BodyPump), mind and body, active aging (low-impact, fitness classes for older members), strength, aqua, and Zumba classes.

Trainers and Nutrition

Members seeking additional training can hire a personal trainer. Using the 24 Hour Fitness website you can put in your zip code to receive each gym's list of personal trainers complete with a professional image, available hours, bio and pricing. This service feature is unique compared to any of the gyms we reviewed, none of which offered profiles of each location's personal trainers like this. As you prepare to train on a whole new level with one-on-one coaching, you will be able to know exactly who you will be working with and how they can help you not only meet your fitness goals, but your health and wellness goals.

The personal trainers work with clients to help facilitate improved muscular strength, build muscular endurance, weight loss, healthy body weight, proper use of strength training equipment for weight lifting, and good workout habits for clients. Years of age, current strength, body weight, current exercise program or lack thereof, health and fitness goals, and whether or not you live a healthy lifestyle will not affect your opportunity to have one-on-one coaching with personal trainers at your local fitness center.

Regarding price, customers get to choose between packages of five or more of 25-minute and 50-minute sessions. The cost depends on how many sessions you get in a bundle package. For example, a bundle of five 50-Minute Sessions costs $365. A bundle of five 25-minute sessions is less expensive at $215. The most expensive training sessions are the twenty-session packages. A bundle of twenty 25-Minute Sessions costs $720 while a bundle of twenty-four 50-minute sessions can cost as much as $1,460.

24 Hour Fitness is one of the few gyms that actually make their personal training fees available on their websites. Most companies make customers contact them directly or participate in a free session or two before they disclose rates and package prices. This method often puts members off, since they feel trainers are upselling them to spend more money. 24 Hour's pricing is reasonable compared to its average competitors, who charge slightly more per individual session. 24 Hour Fitness Customers can save money on the lower-tiered packages.

Other Available Amenities

• Massage Service
  • Steam Room
  • Volleyball
  • Whirlpool

24 Hour Fitness center offers a long list of amenities comparable with the highest-end gyms in the industry. Two features we found unique were volleyball and a Pro Shop. The majority of fitness clubs we reviewed do not offer these two amenities. A few of 24 Hour Fitness' amenities cost extra in addition to the membership fee.

The Bad

• Upfront Fees
  • Equipment
  • Cleanliness

Upfront Fees

Up Front Costs (sometimes referred to as ad enrollment fee) to join 24 Hour Fitness typically costs $49.99 per person. This Initiation fee can be as high as $99.99 or as low as $29.99 at peak sales times-such as the New Year. At the time of this review, 24 Hour Fitness is offering 50 percent off of the initiation fee for their All-Club Basic or Commitment Monthly Payment memberships. Customers should also be aware that they're expected to pay your first and last month's fee when you sign up as well, so the sign-up costs for this company become more expensive than initially anticipated. For example, depending on the discounts available at the time of signup, customers can expect to pay a total of anywhere between $73.48 to $123.47 when enrolling for a membership. We did not find many fitness centers who charge first and last month fees for members when signing up. Typically, gyms charge an enrollment/initiation fee along with the first month's dues. On top of the rest of these dues 24 Hour Fitness also charges a $49.99 annual fee to all members. This annual fee is charged through 24 Hour Fitness directly and it appears that it is in place instead of the renewal fees that other gyms often charge.

Equipment

24 Hour's gym equipment is on-par with the best in the industry. There are a wide variety of cardio equipment including: treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, and even stair-climbers there. Most of their gyms are on a two to three-month maintenance cycle and a three-year replacement cycle. Compared to many gym chains, this is a much higher standard; however, we found a large number of customer reviews for the company's competitors who complain about broken equipment that is outdated or takes a long time to get repaired. At times gym members that just wanted to go and run on a treadmill were unable to due to the lack of equipment that was in good enough condition for use. Your ability to go to a gym and have a good workout many times is directly affected by the availability of equipment. If you are worried about wasting your time and not being able to find a piece of equipment to train or get your workout in, you may want to look elsewhere.

Cleanliness

When it comes to hygiene, customers feel that 24 hour's gyms should be cleaned more often. For instance, customers wear flip flops in the showers because the showers do not appear to be cleaned enough to be called spotless. Customers also wish there were more cleaning stations around the gym, which have only three or four in 24 Hours huge space. This would encourage people to wipe down their machines. We also recommend 24 Hour Fitness should consider using antibacterial wipes versus regular paper towels and spray, since germs can spread on the spray bottle handle.

The Bottom Line

24 Hour Fitness offers a large variety of fitness classes included in your basic membership fee. Personal training sessions have some affordable gym membership pricing packages and you get the price upfront without having to be "upsold" by sales representatives. This fitness club is always offering some kind of fitness promo, discount, or sign up deal to make enrollment dues more affordable and save customers money. Although 24 Hour Fitness offers less expensive monthly dues than even the YMCA, and enrollment can cost more than one would expect, since 24 Hour Fitness charges last month fees in its enrollment. In conclusion, we do recommend looking into 24 Hour Fitness as a gym option. Just be sure to ask a lot of questions when signing up for a membership, understanding exactly what it is your membership package does and doesn't include. Some things to ask about might be: pool access, spa, dance studios, massage services, strength training equipment, and much more. This will help to eliminate frustration and confusion down the road as you seek to live a healthy lifestyle. We recommend that you analyze what this gym has to offer in comparison with other competing gyms before signing any paperwork.

3.9

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I had a gym membership for years at 24 Hour Fitness. I loved it. I especially liked that they had a lot of machines, so it was rarely a wait to get on my favorite. I also used a trainer they also provided at an extra cost obviously. He was very knowledgeable and helped me reach my goals quickly. Also, when he was not able to make our appointment another trainer was able to step in and train me easily because they keep your info in their system. Great gym.

Steve Pitman Largo, FL

24hr fitness is a great concept i loved working out late at night,usually no one around,i dont like crowds at the gym,they also have great equipment,and very clean throughout, however they are a lil pricey

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

Such a great gym. They always have clean equipment and everything works. The cardio area is big and allows space for all the members they have. The classes are taught by people who are skilled. The customer service is great and they are open all the time and so I don't have to stress about going before close.

Michael McCollum Austin, TX

I love 24 Hour. I've been a member for 8 years, the staff is great, facilities are usually pretty clean and equipment is almost always in service. My kids love the kids club which allows me to stay longer and get better workouts. There's typically fewer meatheads at this chain than a Golds for example. This is important for people who aren't in shape yet, you don't want to be intimidated but you also don't want to be at a place like Planet Fitness that has zero interest in you ever actually changing your life. this is the perfect place for most folks. I'd ignore the complaints about "lifetime" memberships. they were sold almost a decade ago and other very few people ever bought them so that tiny thing is irrelevant to current situations.

Natalie Prestwich Taylorsville, UT

I am one of those people that goes back and forth between having a gym membership and not. But I have gotten a membership at 24 hour fitness 3 different times because I really do like them the best. There facilities are clean and have plenty of equipment. They have also had some of the best teachers for classes that I have ever had. I also like that I can use everything in the facility, especially the pool because that’s my favorite. I once had a membership to Gold’s Gym but for the advertised price of 9.99 a month, you didn’t have access to the pool, so that was frustrating since that was the only thing I wanted access to. When I have cancelled it has been easy and no questions asked, which I appreciate.

Melissa Pleasant Grove, UT

I had a 24 Hour Fitness membership for about two years and I had no complaints. I wasn't committed to a long-term contract and paid $29.99 monthly for full access to the gym and unlimited classes. I prefer a group workout format, so I took advantage of the various yoga, dance and cardio classes – those usually cost about $15 each if you pay by the class, so I felt that I got a great deal. Also, the customer service was great – the person who helped me start my membership was very friendly and helpful.

Kent Provo, UT

I've been a member of this gym for about two years. I got a great deal on the membership at Costco. The people are all very friendly and the classes are really good...very intense! I tried a personal trainer introductory package which was good but too expensive to continue. There is also a place to watch your kids which is nice if you need that. I have enjoyed it over all. Plus you can cancel you membership at anytime.

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

24 hour fitness does a great job of being a no judge zone. They genuinely want to give an environment that makes people feel like that can accomplish their dreams of reach a healthy lifestyle. The facilities are also amazing. They have it all from cardio machines, to saunas and pools to free weights to basketball courts. Great place to practice a healthy lifestyle

wayne sanders Valley Center, CA

I was a member of this gym for many many years. I really enjoyed going there because the staff was always friendly and seemed to like being there and helping if needed. At the time when I was going there were always classes offered at the times I could attend and the instructors always made it fun. A huge plus for me was that they offered babysitting and I always felt comfortable leaving my child in the kids club when I needed to.

Mia miga7440 Denver, CO

24 Hour Fitness is a great gym to go to if you're looking for new equipment and quality service. It has great hours and the wonderful membership deals. I wouldn't pay to go anywhere else.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Over the years I have used many gyms, but 24 Hour Fitness has always been a favorite. Clean gyms, helpful fitness experts, and modern equipment make them an obvious choice for a great return on value.

Margarita Pacheco Fort Lauderdale, FL

I go the Super Sport 24 hour fitness located in Sunrise Florida. The Air Condition is always broken or they have something wrong with the Air. When you ask the Manager at the GYM she never has an answer for you. I paid 35.00 per month and the classes are getting worst. They have Zumba all the time but only two classes during the week that offer Body Pump. Really do we need to be doing Zumba all the time. No! we would like to have other classes. Friday no Body pump or anything that you could do but they have Zumba again. The Spin Bike are broken. The seat are broken and they make squeaking noise. The weight room has no air now. When you walk inside the building you could feel the warmth. The bathroom are dirty but staff are all sitting at the front desk talking. Now we seen a sign stating June 1 no more towel. Then why are we paying the price of a super sport.

Edith O'Halloran Englewood, CO

I have been a member of 24/hour fitness for over 2 years. the particular facility has been able to hire a good solid team to assist clients in becoming fit and healthy. The facility as a whole has not been cleaned as well as I would like to have it. the Drains in the ladies dressing area are usually clogged with hair. I know that it is up to the clients to help maintain the areas that they use but I think the clients need to be reminded that it is their facility and their responsibility to clean up after themselves. The service of having towels available certainly has been missed. The gymnasium floor has not been cleaned thoroughly in the two years that I've been attending. The dust on the upper duct system is over an inch thick. We have the very best instructors for helping the clients to become fit and how to maintain good health habits. The senior strength class that I attend is the very best for now only strength but also balance and cardio fitness. The class is at and hour that works for those that are retired and get get out and move. It is the instructor that keeps me coming on a regular basis.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

I worked out at 24 hour fitness for 7 years while it was closer to my home. They had a great selection of equipment and I always felt like I got a great workout in when I was there. The facilities were clean and the price was right.

Connor Farmington, UT

24 Hour Fitness is great because they are everywhere and most locations are open 24 hours a day. They have different levels of gym you can pay for so you know exactly what type of gym you're getting yourself into. Great for all types of gym-goer.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I was a member of 24 Hour Fitness in Las Vegas, when I lived there. They had a beautiful new facility that had all the equipment that I needed, plus the classes for what I enjoyed doing, like Zumba and cycling. The facilities were clean and I could go anytime day or night, thus the 24 Hour title.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I was a member of 24 Hour Fitness when I lived in Las Vegas, Nevada. It had everything I needed in a gym and I could go anytime I wanted and it was clean and they had plenty of equipment. They also offered classes that I could take advantage of whenever I wanted. Great friendly people that work there.

Cayla Koga Fremont, CA

I love 24 hour fitness. Their gyms are everywhere! and I can workout whenever. Their contract staff aren't forcing you to join, they're encouraging you and willing to help you reach your fitness goals. Heck, I work out with the guy who signed me up! I think their rates are reasonable for the area, and given you can work out at any gym, anywhere, I think it's great!

Lauren Maddock Pleasant Grove, UT

I recently joined 24 Hour Fitness and have been blown away with the fitness options they provide. Their classes are fun and they have such a great variety. My kids love their child care which makes it easier for me to go everyday.

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

24 hour fitness in Las Vegas Nevada is a great gym. We enjoyed it for the whole family because of the variety of classes offered as well as many weight machines (so you’re not waiting to get on your favorite machine to work out.).

Amanda Sherwood, OR

I had a membership at the Provo, UT 24 h fitness for 2 years before moving away! Absolutely love the facilities! They had wonderful Zumba classes (and other classes) as well! Never had to wait for a machine as they had a LOT of them in the Gym!

Julia UP Southbury, CT

I used one in Ridgefield, CT wasn’t good for me, they didn’t clean well this place, busy and you need to wait available equipments

Natalia Correa MDTribe Miami, FL

I had a membership at 24 Hour fitness a few years ago. I mainly loved how I always had access to the gym even late at night. Their staff is really great too!

Jamie Neider Kaysville, UT

I love 24 Hr Fitness. The flexible hours are amazing since I don't typically go to the gym at the same time every day. Love the staff too. Very friendly and helpful.

Anita Luckenbaugh Greenville, SC

Awesome, I love this gym. It has everthing you need and it has space not to feel closed in, yet it is small enough not to get lost. Nice locker rooms

Alana Boulder, CO

I went on maternity leave in September of this year and my doctor told me in August that I could no longer work out. I called 24 Hour Fitness and requested to have my membership cancelled. Instead, the customer service rep told me I could just freeze it. I thought that would be a good idea and I could come back after my leave if I have time. Well, the guy never froze my account and I was charged through November (and an annual fee of $49 thrown in there too). I have spoken to FIVE different customer service representatives (2 managers) and have still only been refunded for one month. They told me that I needed to have a doctor's note saying that I had a baby in order to get the rest. My doctor faxed one over to them and still I have seen nothing. The last representative that I spoke to said that the refund was being processed and I should have it in 3-5 business days. It's been 2.5 weeks. This company steals money from good people. I had a baby and they took advantage of my situation.

Natasha Salt Lake City, UT

Customer service was really great! I even got a tour and had all of the options explained to me. The fee is super reasonable and they haven't had any hidden prices.

Bob Beaverton, OR

Buyer Beware!! There are complaints -- a multitude of them -- coming from all over 24 Hr Fitness' service areas, from members who were "sold" lifetime memberships for a large upfront fee and a fixed "lifetime" fee. After 8 years of both parties to their contract honoring that commitment, 24 Hr Fitness is now unilaterally breaching the agreement. Rates have risen, not in an amount reflective of inflation, but rather by hundreds of a percent. In my case, by almost 450%! AND NO GUARANTEE THAT RATES NEXT YEAR WON'T GO UP BY A SIMILAR OR GREATER AMOUNT. When I asked as to an explanation, I was told in a club that it was done because they could -- the form contract offers no protection to the consumer. When referred to a call number, I waited an incredible time on line and never got a person to speak with. Calling another time, I was told, basically, "take it or leave it" -- it is worth it to 24 Hr Fitness to alienate all of these existing customers. No one in their right mind should do business with a company that is so willing to disavow its own promises to customers who have been loyal members for years. I can see that short term money is more important that honor, to them.

Chari Vancouver, WA

I would like to add my complaint to the long list of others who have complained about the sudden increase of my lifetime guarantee of annual fees at $49, (after the end of my 3 year membership). The customer service rep with whom I spoke almost a month ago claimed that my contract stated that dues could be increased. It does not. He promised to email a copy of the original contract, but a month later and my follow up email again requesting it, have resulted in silence on their part. I will end up paying the $99, since I don't want to lose my annual membership, but under protest. Please contact me if there is any class action against 24 hour Fitness for its breach of contract.

Lisa Redondo Beach, CA

Words cannot describe the unethical and scamming practice 24 Hour Fitness just pulled on my boyfriend. He has been a loyal member for over 8 years with the $49/year LIFETIME membership, and every February, they renew his membership by automatically charging the fees to his credit card. They even called him one year when his credit card expired so they could get a new card on file. A month ago (June) when he tried to go the club, they told him that his membership was cancelled. No notice, no phone call, no mail, NOTHING. Of course, the staff at the club cannot offer any help whatsoever (yet they would LOOOOVE to sign you up as a new member, just don't have time or patience for old loyal members). So of course, we had to spend hours on the phone with customer service, which was even a more waste of our time. Us: you cancelled my membership without any notice, I need you to please reinstate me as a member. Supervisor: oh, we sent you a letter. Us: where did you send the letter? Supervisor: ummm…well I'm not sure, but we sent one. Us: I've been with 24 Hour Fitness for over 8 years. It does not seem like you value my business. Supervisor: of course we value your business and you as a member. Us: then reinstate me as a member. Supervisor: oh we can't do that. Us: then you don't value me as a member. Supervisor: we can reinstate you as a new member at the new rate! And this went on and on. There was no effort whatsoever shown by 24 Hour Fitness to right their wrong. They sounded like they cancelled his membership on purpose, so they can get rid of all of their $49/year lifetime members. What a SCAM! What's even worse, I have friends that were on that plan, and when they went in and the club told them their membership was cancelled, they were able to reinstate them at $99/year! So why the special treatment for certain members?! Please stay away!

Benjamin LeBlanc Dallas, TX

24 hour fitness is one of the highest quality fitness centers in the US. With many locations all around the country you will most likely be able to work out no matter your location.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

24 Hour Fitness offers me tons of locations to choose from. That makes them the most convenient. They are economically priced to for equipment usage and fitness class participation.

Reckholdt Draper, UT

My husband and I had a membership here for years. We went to several different gyms over the years and all were great. They kept them clean and had a lot of options on equipment. We were just sad we lived and were no longer close to one. Would have stayed if so.

Star Stewart Fort Lauderdale, FL

I love going to 24 Hour Fitness. I have a membership there with my mom and we enjoy working out there. The equipment is not dirty and if it is they always have supplies to sanitize the gym equipment. The workers are kind as well.

Shannon B Salt Lake City, UT

24 Hour Fitness has been my favorite gym I've been a member of. I especially love their classes, they always have good teachers and every time I leave feeling like I got a good workout in. If I don't go to a class, there is always plenty of equipment and machines that are hardly ever broken. Love 24 Hour!!

Jon Posey Riverton, UT

I really liked 24 when I was going. I loved a little too far away to justify continuing to go there. Their facility is usually clean which is great, they have all the equipment you need and I loved that they had a bball court.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

24 Hour Fitness has great deals, especially if you dont want to commit to a several month long membership. It has everything you need, plus personal trainers who are always willing to help you with your weights or whatever you need. Its never busy.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness and I like their no nonsense approach to working out. They provide the facilities and the extras needed and make it easy for someone like me to work out. Whenever and also a lot of wherever choices to choose from. Very clean and great people that work there that will help me with anything I need.

kerry perez Orem, UT

I was a member at 24hr fitness for 5 years, the gym were always in great shape, always available and large. Their prices were very competitive but the location were minimal for where i lived, the one gym that was changed to another gym =(

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We belonged to 24 hour Fitness when we lived in Las Vegas near the Summerlin area. The facility was always so clean and not as crowded as some gyms. I liked the variety of fitness classes they offered as well.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

I was a member of this club for about 8 years. I always had a pleasant experience and never felt uncomfortable when I went there. they offered a wide variety of classes and they were at times that worked for me. the club I went to was always clean and well maintained.

Katie Marz Orem, UT

I like this gym a lot more than others because I feel like there are less people there and a lot of seniors use this gym. I like to exercise in peace and they have a great facility.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

24 Hour Fitness is not my favorite. It's better than some other gyms I have been to, but I feel that the staff didn't really all know what they were doing. The trainers just seemed to put people through the same thing all the time and not cater to their personal needs. I was a member for a while, but probably won't go back unless they were my only option for a gym.

Stacy Kay Salt Lake City, UT

I like the gym, and the feel of the gym. I don't like that it takes a long time for broken equipment to be fixed. Customer service is good. Prices were good. I did end up cancelling and going to a different gym because I did not like the classes, and it was super crowded and hard to get equipment at the times I was able to go. That is not the fault of the gym though. I just needed a gym that was a better fit. Cancelling was super easy. Oh and low pressure sales.

Areeba Long Island City, NY

Terrible customer service and a ton of hidden fees. They will charge you $49.99 in "annual fees" and $12 if you freeze the membership. In addition, they will say things like "your rate is $49.99" but actually bill you $79.99 for months on end until you check your bank statement and realize you're paying 150%+ of what you were supposed to. DO NOT gym with them.

Alan H Brown Huntington Beach, CA

Good value for money. Haven't raised my dues in 25 years. Worth it if you actually use the gym. I go to a new facility with excellent equipment.

Do NOT Give 24 Hour Fitness your Email Address Bellaire, TX

I recently visited a 24 Hour Fitness in Meyerland Plaza (Houston Area). Following the tour of the facility, I started receiving marketing emails from 24 Hour Fitness. They include an unsubscribe link which I've clicked for several of these emails, but I still continue to get them. The local club told me that couldn't remove my email address from their system and that I should call "Corporate". "Corporate" told me that they had no way of dealing with it. WHATEVER YOU DO, IF YOU VISIT A 24 HOUR FITNESS, DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.

Lamont Las Vegas, NV

24 hour fitness randomly charged $50 on my debit card and explained it as an annual fee. Half the time I'm not even in state to use the gym but i pay their stupid prices so when i come back for a few weeks i have a place to work out. I only lift and play basketball in there for a short time and i feel i am being robbed.

Theodore Niemann Boulder, CO

Nice gym with good staff. I would recommend getting a membership through Costco if you can because they have much cheaper plans that are about half or less than what you would pay if you signed up at the gym.

take7 Sandy, UT

It was convenient for me to have when it was open because it was close and had everything I needed. But it closed down and I had to move to a different gym close by. Sometimes the machines were broken and sometimes not clean. Not sure why they shut down.