Acquired by Coupa Software in 2013, Xpenser was originally developed by experienced entrepreneurs who were tired of wasting time on expense reports. It is an automated expense management software optimized for desktop, iOS, and Android devices.
- Great features
Xpenser is all about connectivity. Unlike some other expense management softwares, Xpenser has been optimized for voice recognition, SMS text messaging, email, Twitter, and has even been directly integrated into Gmail. It easily connects with bank and credit card accounts, uploads photos of receipts, and boasts 256-bit SSL (bank-level) security encryption. Xpenser is also a less-expensive alternative to most of its competitors, available for just $9.00 a month per user. It also supports transactions across 150 currencies for both international businessman and world traveler alike.
Xpenser integrates with a number of different systems, including QuickBooks, FreshBooks, Outright, and more.
- Lacking features
- Who ss in charge?
The Xpenser software itself is lacking in a few key features such as a GPS-enabled mileage tracker.
Who is in Charge?
While Xpenser seems to provide a lot of good features for its customers, it requires a great deal of digging just to find out what they are. Its homepage offers a link the redirects you to the Coupa Expenses page, where not even the slightest mention of Xpenser, along with its features and pricing, is even made. However, it is possible to sign up for Xpenser by accessing the link wwww.xpenser.com/docs/pricing/, but this is not intuitive, and gives off the impression that they don’t want you to sign up with Xpenser at all, but sign up with Coupa Expenses. This lack of clarity hurts their rating.
Xpenser offers a free plan as their basic package for non-business owners:
- Free personal expense tracking
- Free-form expense entry (no categories)
- Up to 300 expenses and 30 receipts
Whether you are using Xpenser as an individual or as a small business (i.e. 2-100 employees), you can purchase its services at a rate of $9/user per month; however, for larger enterprises (100-3000+ employees), they request that you call in for an estimate. Xpenser offers a free 30 day trial prior to purchase.
Different features are assigned to each of the pricing packages, as follows:
- Records expenses, receipts (upload only), mileage (manual) from any device
- Schedule C reporting/custom categories
- Syncs with banks/credit cards
- Exports to QuickBooks, FreshBooks, etc.
- Manages multiple clients
- Simplifies taxes
- All the features of the Individual Package
- Submits/Approves expense reports
- Admin accounts
- Org charts and approval policies
- General Ledger Accounts
- Finds late reports/approvals via audit dashboards
- All the features of the Small Business Package
- Provides employee training tools/materials
- Custom approval rules/policies
- Integrates with your backend financial system
- Gets you audit ready