QuickBooks

QuickBooks Logo

7.7

QuickBooks

$10 Monthly Fees

QuickBooks by Intuit, Inc. is the most commonly used accounting and financial management software for small businesses. Developed by Intuit, QuickBooks accounts for a sizable portion of the small business accounting software market, boasting nearly 1 million online subscribers.

The Good

• Integrations and applications
  • Education

QuickBooks was initially released in 1994; consequently, its developers have spent the past two decades fine-tuning their software for all of your accounting needs, including expense tracking.

Integrations and Applications

QuickBooks has been optimized both both desktop and mobile applications. Now you can manage your expenses from your Android or iOS smart device and even snap photos of and catalog all of your paper receipts, thus eliminating the mounds of paperwork you would normally need to keep on hand during the tax and audit season. Quickbooks also integrates with several other money management apps that people already use:

• PayPal
  • Concur Travel and Expense
  • Square
  • Shopify
  • Shoeboxed
  • And More

Education

QuickBooks prides itself on educating users with little or no accounting experience to be expert money managers. Its platform offers several helpful demos and tutorials, a live chat feature, blog, free customer support, an interactive online community, and the means to get in touch with over 20,000 qualified industry experts.

And unlike some other accounting softwares, QuickBooks offers a package for independent contractors which helps separate personal and business expenses.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Tax fraud scandal

Limitations

QuickBooks has some limitations. Unlike other expense tracking apps, QuickBooks is not equipped with a GPS-enabled travel expense monitor; such expenses must be entered manually. Additionally, QuickBooks leans a little on the expensive side, charging a monthly subscription fee for each of its packages. And though it offers a package for independent contractors that helps differentiate between personal and business expenses, other apps can keep track of your personal expenses for free.

Tax Fraud Scandal

In February 2015, Intuit was at the center of an alleged revenue-boosting scandal involving the mishandling of fraudulent tax returns. And while Intuit immediately refuted these claims, the damage these allegations have done to their goodwill resulted in a plunge in third-quarter profits for the year.

The Bottom Line

For all accounts and purposes, it's hard to go wrong with QuickBooks. Whether you're running a small to medium-sized business, or are an independent contractor, it's one of the most proven accounting softwares out there; however, if you're only looking to chart your personal day-to-day expenses, this software might not be for you.

Breeanne Genta
August 1st, 2018 Nampa, ID

I love how easy QuickBooks is to use. It only takes a few seconds and it helps me so much with my business.

James Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

I use Intuit Quickbooks to keep track of my accounting for a rental property I own. The software is fine...good not great. I have a 4-year degree in accounting from a good university and their credit/debit system is not intuitive. It's also more expensive than I would have expected, but its all on the cloud and I can have multiple users. It's fine.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love QuickBooks – especially the automatic bank downloads. It saves me so much time importing transactions

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Are use QuickBooks to keep track of my expenses for my business – so easy and I love the automatic downloads for my credit cards

H Moore
June 6th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love using QuickBooks to track my business expenses. I run a publishing company and we have to track daily expenses as well as organize royalties.

Joanna Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We use QuickBooks to keep tracking of our football booster club money. I had some questions on how to use the software. I called customer service and they answered all my questions and got me up and running no time!

Tom Rhoton
May 1st, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

The products are good, and especially welcome is the API interface when you use the cloud (SAAS) version. I use it for my business.

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have worked with QuickBooks extensively! AN EXCELLENT OPTION FOR ENTREPRENEURS AND SMALLER BUSINESSES. Don't rely on it to do everything for you though. You still need to understand what you are doing with bookkeeping. When everything functions, it saves you a ton of headaches. When things don't work, it can become a nightmare. Great for filing simple taxes though.

Maryayb
April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

This software is very user friendly and mostly without too many hiccups. Wish they had a way or module you could add to track equipment costs to jobs.

Brette
April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Quickbooks is what we use at works and we seem to be calling them every other week to fix something. The staff is always more than willing to help but the constant problems we have at lead to a lot of wasted time!

Daniel Coburn
October 9th, 2017

Quickbooks is a gold standard. The company is pushing you towards their QuickBooks online, and why not? You pay far more to use it than the stand-alone software. They almost hide the ability to buy a desktop version of the software. If you're going to use it, I'd recommend looking at the desktop version, while the online version offers a desktop app, it is not as flexible as the installed version and ends up very pricey over time with the monthly fees. That said, it is what everyone integrates with, so it has power behind it. I use zohobook, but QB is more accepted across the internet.