Mint

Mint Logo

9.2

Mint

$0 Monthly Fees

Acquired by Intuit, Inc. in 2009, Mint is a free web-based financial management services that allows users to connect with and keep track of their income and expenses. Through Mint, users can also monitor investments, create budgets and goals, and track loan balances.

The Good

• Great features and benefits

Great Features and Benefits

For a free app with not many accounting features, Mint has a lot going for it. In addition to receiving live updates on all of your personal finances, Mint also boasts several impressive features:

• Free Credit Score: Users can answer a few simple questions to verify their identity and are given free access to their credit score.
  • Monthly Budgets and Goals: You can set custom monthly budgets for all expense categories, and assign monthly goals to pay off debts.
  • Email Notifications: Mint will email users when they are getting close to exceeding one of their monthly budgets
  • Advice: Both the desktop and the mobile applications feature an advice section for users looking to invest their money or start a new line of credit.

The Bad

• Limited currencies
  • Security

Limited Currencies

As for points of criticism, Mint does have some shortcomings. First, given that it is a free service, Mint does not support multiple currencies, nor does it feature a GPS tracking app for reporting travel expenses. And unlike some of its competitors, Mint does not support any type of receipt capturing software but what transactions will show up on your bank or credit statement.

Security

Unlike its small-business counterpart QuickBooks and other softwares, Mint does not employ a 256-SSL bank-level encryption over the data its users send, but rather 128-bit. In other words, all usernames, passwords, and financial information Mint receives is at risk for being hacked. And though Mint does have some additional security protocol in place (e.g. a separate access code for mobile users), the lack of bank-level security has nonetheless raised concerns.

The Bottom Line

All in all, Mint is a great tool for keeping a budget and maintaining some self-honestly about one's personal expenses. It has a lot to offer for a free, ad-supported service. And save for some obvious limitations and a few security concerns, Mint remains one of the most downloaded personal expense tracking apps out there. But if security is a major issue to you, or if your business requires some sort of reporting or accounting software, you might consider other more expensive options.

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Great help to me in tracking my expenses in one place. Easy to review things and help me to plan my budget.

Adam Crawley
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I've had this app for a few years now and I've been satisfied with it. I love how it syncs with my bank account and automatically updates; however, it can be difficult to use sometimes. In addition, occasionally I find some of my purchases not categorized correctly, which is really annoying.

Amy Crawley
June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Very easy to use and very comprehensive.

JRosa
April 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love mint, it has made my finances so much more manageable. Plus it’s free! Definitely worth a try.

RJ
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

Mint is great in helping me keep a budget. Although I understand why they need confidential bank information and that they do their best to protect it, I would like to see if there is a way to use their services in a limited fashion without that information.

David Lewis
April 25th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I use Mint daily to keep track of my expenses. I love the convenience that it provides. I have had a couple of issues with certain accounts frequently becoming disconnected, but nothing major.

Erin Rhoton
April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I absolutely love using Mint for my expense tracking! It is really easy to create a budget and it links to my credit cards and bank accounts so it is easy to monitor my spending.

Trent
April 18th, 2018 Provo, UT

They are great. It's easy to link all of my accounts and see where my money goes. I would use them more, but my bank has a similar service as well

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Love that it is free. Very similar to categorizing transactions in Quickbooks online. If you know how to build out your budget categories and if you keep up to date, it is a great option.

Carolee AhPing
April 16th, 2018 Heber, UT

I love Mint. I have been using them for years. It's easy to use, free, and it has kept me on top of my finances. I have all of my accounts hooked up to it so it's easy to see where my money goes and to keep track of it.

Jacinda E
December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Great app to get on the same page with spending and saving with a spouse. Great tool for any couple to use for a budget and stay accountable

Lindsey
December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT

I use Mint now - I LOVE IT! Everything is in one spot, they are very user-friendly, and when I need to do my taxes on turbo tax, I can link up my Mint account to it. It is helpful if you want to pay off debts, make financial goals, etc. You don't have to pay for this service which is even better.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 5th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

My husband and I used Mint for the first few years of marriage as it was the best tool we could find. The user interface drastically changed for the better during our time using it. It became more visual and easy to use. However, it often takes days to upload transactions and often has issues loading the app. It would pull old data and made budgeting difficult to do since it would often not upload properly. It is not very customizable, which is our biggest complaint. You are stuck using their templates and cannot change to fit your own needs. It also miscategorizes many transactions, which makes the entire budget system less effective.

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

Mint is great at tracking your expenses and helps you understand where you may be over or under budget!

Breanna Jones
June 8th, 2017 Herriman, UT

I use Mint to track my finances and help me budget. I like the ability to link up all of my accounts so I can view them all in one place. It is an easy way to check my finances. I check it more than I do my credit card and bank statements.