The Neat Company Logo

The Neat Company

8.8

The Neat Company was created in 2002 and ran a desktop software to manage expenses and documents. It soon after created the NeatReceipts sheet-fed scanner to track expenses more easily and document them straight into the software. In more recent years, The Neat Company has turned almost completely digital, creating a cloud service Saas application that can scan and track expenses from your phone and store and organize your most important documents digitally.

NeatBooks is the company's current full bookkeeping and accounting product providing the following features:

• Connect accounts
  • Receipt management
  • Do your books from desktop or mobile app
  • View business analytics
  • Digital filing system
  • One-on-one access to a customer service representative for onboarding and support

NeatFiles Unlimited is the company's basic file storage product that provides the following features:

• Unlimited document management
  • Advanced data processing
  • Quickbooks integration
  • Access for up to five users
  • Email, chat, and phone support

The Good

• Free 30-Day Trial on Premium Accounts
  • Up-to-Date
  • Different Plans for Different Situations
  • Organizational Help

Free 30-Day Trial on Premium Accounts

Unlike many of its competitors, The Neat Company allows customers to try out its best software plans for up to 30 days. Many of its competitors have a free trial, but it is on the basic plans and does not give access to all that The Neat Company provides.

Up-to-Date Software

The Neat Company’s software is not only up to date but is among the most innovative companies we have seen. Since creating the first receipt scanner in 2002, The Neat Company has continued to work on this software and has led the expense management industry in simplifying receipt scanning and organizing.

Different Plans for Different Situations

The Neat Company offers Lite, Premium, and Business plans:

Lite:

• Unlimited file storage
  • Mobile receipt and document scanning app
  • Configurable file organization
  • Expense reporting
  • Business contact integrations

Premium:

• Everything included in Lite
  • Human verification (receipts and contacts)
  • QuickBooks online integration
  • QuickBooks desktop (add-on fees apply)
  • File sharing and collaboration
  • Email marketing integrations
  • One-on-one expert training

Business:

• Everything Included in Lite/Premium
  • Up to 5 plan users
  • Human verification (invoices)
  • QuickBooks online and QuickBooks desktop included
  • Unlimited phone, chat, and email with toll-free number and VIP access
  • Multi-account/business access
  • Accountant and bookkeeper edition

Organizational Help

This company allows you to place your files throughout its site anywhere to organize your expenses however you would like. It keeps folders and tabs to help it feel clean and look clean. One of The Neat Company’s goals is to help companies and individuals stay “neat.”

The Bad

Pricing

The Neat Company pricing is dependent on the plan and if a company chooses to pay annually or monthly:

• Lite(Basic Plan): $89.99 per year or $8.99 per month
  • Premium: $149.99 per year or $14.99 per month
  • Business: $249.99 per year or $24.99 per month

Although its premium packages are cheap for the industry, its basic plan is a little more expensive. This makes it better for companies but harder on freelancers and independent contractors.

The Bottom Line

The Neat Company, although it does cost a bit more for its basic package, offers lots of benefits to its customers. Along with its expense management services, it is helpful in managing cash flow, collaborating with employees, scanning receipts and documents, and helping your company stay “neat.”

4.9

Gina Chesapeake, VA

I purchase a Neat scanner for my Mac desktop. I've used neat in the pass years ago (2012 & 2013) , but since I've started my business I feel the need for it. It will not download the drivers for my Mac desktop. I'm very disappointed. I had to install it on my laptop. May Ann G is a very valuable employee. She calmed me down, but I'm still not a happy camper because I can't use it on my desktop. After all my frustration she helped me through it all. However the process is not user friendly. You have to go ton neat utility to scan then to the web site to view. I spent a lot of money on this scanner, which has resulted in not being able to do what I need it for. It used to be so simple. Neat is a very valuable tool to have. Had to pay for an expensive scanner, on top of that I had to pay a yearly fee that is nonrefundable which I have to use on a laptop instead of a desktop. So unfair, Unhappy

Eddie S.

May Ann G did a good job of explaining how to enter documents into Neat and how the to identify the types of documents that an be scanned. Ann then patently guided me through the process of entering receipts data and creating reports. Ann also provided a listing of files that can be used to handle various tasks. Ann is a good, patient employee. Eddie Schwertz

john Wantagh, NY

I had a issue with corrupt pdf files transferring from the scanner to my computer. Lud was helpful and was able to solve the problem by showing me a work around to the problem that they hopefully will correct in the next update.

Ricky Highland Falls, NY

The technician I worked with Meryl was very knowledgeable and worked with this 2 left handed computer user to solve my problem and teach me as we went. Very happy with the service

glennphelps Kansas City, MO

Meryl was very professional in her resolving my problem. You should take her to lunch to show your appreciation for her skills and work to keep her on your staff.

Patti Lynch Greenwich, NY

Very helpful I am not super computer savvy loads of help thank you

edmundo dingzon Brooklyn, MD

i am happy with the technical support very friendly and did patient.