QuickBooks Logo

LAST UPDATED: February 24th, 2020

QuickBooks by Intuit, Inc. is the most commonly used accounting and financial management software for small businesses. Developed by Intuit, QuickBooks accounts for a sizable portion of the small business accounting software market, boasting millions of online subscribers.

Taxbot Logo
#4 Taxbot chevron_right
2.5

The Good

• Integrations and Applications
  • Education

Integrations and Applications

QuickBooks has been optimized both both desktop and mobile applications. Now you can manage your expenses from your Android or iOS smart device and even snap photos of and catalog all of your paper receipts, thus eliminating the mounds of paperwork you would normally need to keep on hand during the tax and audit season. Quickbooks also integrates with several other money management apps that people already use:

• PayPal
  • Concur Travel and Expense
  • Square
  • Shopify
  • Shoeboxed
  • And More

Education

QuickBooks prides itself on educating users with little or no accounting experience to be expert money managers. Its platform offers several helpful demos and tutorials, a live chat feature, blog, free customer support, an interactive online community, and the means to get in touch with over 20,000 qualified industry experts. And unlike some other accounting softwares, QuickBooks offers a package for independent contractors which helps separate personal and business expenses.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Tax Fraud Scandal

Limitations

QuickBooks has some limitations. Unlike other expense tracking apps, QuickBooks is not equipped with a GPS-enabled travel expense monitor; such expenses must be entered manually. Additionally, QuickBooks leans a little on the expensive side, charging a monthly subscription fee for each of its packages. And though it offers a package for independent contractors that helps differentiate between personal and business expenses, other apps can keep track of your personal expenses for free.

Tax Fraud Scandal

In February 2015, Intuit was at the center of an alleged revenue-boosting scandal involving the mishandling of fraudulent tax returns. And while Intuit immediately refuted these claims, the damage these allegations have done to their goodwill resulted in a plunge in third-quarter profits for the year.

In 2019, Intuit was under scrutiny for deliberately hiding the free version of TurboTax from online searches. This scandal further undermines Intuit's credibility.

The Bottom Line

For all accounts and purposes, it's hard to go wrong with QuickBooks. Whether you're running a small to medium-sized business, or are an independent contractor, it's one of the most proven accounting softwares out there; however, if you're only looking to chart your personal day-to-day expenses, this software might not be for you.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

QuickBooks is awesome at expense tracking for my household and small business. It covers a wide array of possible expenses and tracks them seamlessly and quickly. The tools provide helpful suggestions and ways to track expenses readily. The summary results are easy to read and helps us make spending decisions with ease. Nothing compares to the robust set of financial tracking tools that Quickbooks provides!

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

I have used quickbooks for my husbands dental practice for 10 years. Its so easy to use and for me to understand. The updates are great and are easy to install. We have been using the online version and our accountant loves that we are! Its saves time and we don't have to meet as often!

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

QuickBooks intuit is great! If you have a relatively small company, or you're not an accountant, but need to track your companies expenses, QuickBooks is the way to go! It's simple to use, and relatively intuitive! I've worked in QB for over 2 years now, and don't have any complaints! Great product that satisfies many customers needs!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

Quickbooks has helped me manage my expenses better than ever. They helped me do a budget and then track my spending and see how it compares. I was able to put in my information and then it will keep track of it for me and I can print out financials for myself, and for my financial reporting.

Jennifer Ogden, UT

We have used QuickBooks for our small business for many years. Accounting can be very intimidating but QuickBooks takes the worry and stress out of it. I have had to call customer service a few times with questions and they are able to answer those questions quickly and in a way I understand. I would recommend QuickBooks to anyone!

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

We use QuickBooks to keep tracking of our football booster club money. I had some questions on how to use the software. I called customer service and they answered all my questions and got me up and running no time!

H Moore Lehi, UT

I love using QuickBooks to track my business expenses. I run a publishing company and we have to track daily expenses as well as organize royalties.

Joy Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

I use QB to organize business expenses. It wasn't too hard to learn, but I don't use any of the invoicing features since I'm just a one person business.

Maryayb Draper, UT

This software is very user friendly and mostly without too many hiccups. Wish they had a way or module you could add to track equipment costs to jobs.

Easy plug and play program. It even tells you when something is off or if something does not seem right. We us the program for our PTA

Sadie Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

Are use QuickBooks to keep track of my expenses for my business – so easy and I love the automatic downloads for my credit cards

Tom Rhoton Alpine, UT

The products are good, and especially welcome is the API interface when you use the cloud (SAAS) version. I use it for my business.

Breeanne Genta Nampa, ID

I love how easy QuickBooks is to use. It only takes a few seconds and it helps me so much with my business.

CAROLE SCOVILLE Pleasant Grove, UT

I love QuickBooks – especially the automatic bank downloads. It saves me so much time importing transactions