QuickBooks by Intuit, Inc. is the most commonly used accounting and financial management software for small businesses. Developed by Intuit, QuickBooks accounts for a sizable portion of the small business accounting software market, boasting nearly 1 million online subscribers.

#1 Divvy chevron_right
4.9
#2 The Neat Company chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Integrations and Applications
  • Education

Integrations and Applications

QuickBooks has been optimized both both desktop and mobile applications. Now you can manage your expenses from your Android or iOS smart device and even snap photos of and catalog all of your paper receipts, thus eliminating the mounds of paperwork you would normally need to keep on hand during the tax and audit season. Quickbooks also integrates with several other money management apps that people already use:

• PayPal
  • Concur Travel and Expense
  • Square
  • Shopify
  • Shoeboxed
  • And More

Education

QuickBooks prides itself on educating users with little or no accounting experience to be expert money managers. Its platform offers several helpful demos and tutorials, a live chat feature, blog, free customer support, an interactive online community, and the means to get in touch with over 20,000 qualified industry experts. And unlike some other accounting softwares, QuickBooks offers a package for independent contractors which helps separate personal and business expenses.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Tax Fraud Scandal

Limitations

QuickBooks has some limitations. Unlike other expense tracking apps, QuickBooks is not equipped with a GPS-enabled travel expense monitor; such expenses must be entered manually. Additionally, QuickBooks leans a little on the expensive side, charging a monthly subscription fee for each of its packages. And though it offers a package for independent contractors that helps differentiate between personal and business expenses, other apps can keep track of your personal expenses for free.

Tax Fraud Scandal

In February 2015, Intuit was at the center of an alleged revenue-boosting scandal involving the mishandling of fraudulent tax returns. And while Intuit immediately refuted these claims, the damage these allegations have done to their goodwill resulted in a plunge in third-quarter profits for the year.

The Bottom Line

For all accounts and purposes, it's hard to go wrong with QuickBooks. Whether you're running a small to medium-sized business, or are an independent contractor, it's one of the most proven accounting softwares out there; however, if you're only looking to chart your personal day-to-day expenses, this software might not be for you.

Amy Boren
October 10th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have used quickbooks for my husbands dental practice for 10 years. Its so easy to use and for me to understand. The updates are great and are easy to install. We have been using the online version and our accountant loves that we are! Its saves time and we don't have to meet as often!

October 10th, 2019 DETAILS

Easy plug and play program. It even tells you when something is off or if something does not seem right. We us the program for our PTA

Derek Scoville
October 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We use Quickbooks to run our personal and business budgets on. It is super helpful to track spending, to run reports on different accounts and to help us keep all our finances in order.

Joy Hill
October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use QB to organize business expenses. It wasn't too hard to learn, but I don't use any of the invoicing features since I'm just a one person business.

Darrin Henry
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use quickbooks for our small business and it works great for what we need to keep everything organized.

Nathan
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I used both the online and desktop versions Quickbooks during an internship with a tax firm. As far as accounting software goes I thought the interface was user friendly and very customizable. Some of the higher level functions were difficult to master, but nothing anybody couldn’t handle. I preferred the online version over the desktop version since syncing credit card and bank transactions was easier and more intuitive.

Anne Sainsbury
May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT

QuickBooks intuit is great! If you have a relatively small company, or you're not an accountant, but need to track your companies expenses, QuickBooks is the way to go! It's simple to use, and relatively intuitive! I've worked in QB for over 2 years now, and don't have any complaints! Great product that satisfies many customers needs!

Reese
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Quickbooks has helped me manage my expenses better than ever. They helped me do a budget and then track my spending and see how it compares. I was able to put in my information and then it will keep track of it for me and I can print out financials for myself, and for my financial reporting.

Jennifer
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We have used QuickBooks for our small business for many years. Accounting can be very intimidating but QuickBooks takes the worry and stress out of it. I have had to call customer service a few times with questions and they are able to answer those questions quickly and in a way I understand. I would recommend QuickBooks to anyone!

Leslie
February 14th, 2019 Vida, OR DETAILS

We have been using QB Pro for several years. Though the program is not perfect - has some glitches - it is adequate, and has a wide circle of familiarity with bookkeepers and businesses. The reason for 3 stars (I am so frustrated with them I really wanted to give them 1 star), is their support. There was a mistake with the name of the purchaser of our last copy of QB. The secretary at the time of purchase put her own name on as administrator. She is no longer with us. QB support will only talk with the administrator, so we were asked to prove ownership before they would provide any further assistance. We were given a case number and sent an email with instructions. We ended up responding to several emails, downloading information requested. We NEVER received a personal reply or confirmation to any of our responses, and then we received a final email that said we didn't provide the information requested and they closed the case. We have made phone calls (taking up to 3 hours on the phone, being put on hold, getting cut off, etc). We were informed at one point that our current QB edition would be obsolete in May, and it was suggested by the 'support' person at the time, that perhaps we should just purchase the new edition. That is, in fact, what we decided to do to solve this whole issue. We have now purchased and will download the new version 4 months early (a loss of $). We had a choice of a one time payment OR a monthly fee (for back up and support). After all the (negative) experience we have had with support, we took the one time payment. Support is NOT provided in the USA, and is only provided with highly accented English. I would not suggest that anyone purchase their support option.

Breeanne Genta
August 1st, 2018 Nampa, ID

I love how easy QuickBooks is to use. It only takes a few seconds and it helps me so much with my business.

James Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

I use Intuit Quickbooks to keep track of my accounting for a rental property I own. The software is fine...good not great. I have a 4-year degree in accounting from a good university and their credit/debit system is not intuitive. It's also more expensive than I would have expected, but its all on the cloud and I can have multiple users. It's fine.

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Are use QuickBooks to keep track of my expenses for my business – so easy and I love the automatic downloads for my credit cards

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love QuickBooks – especially the automatic bank downloads. It saves me so much time importing transactions

H Moore
June 6th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love using QuickBooks to track my business expenses. I run a publishing company and we have to track daily expenses as well as organize royalties.

Joanna Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We use QuickBooks to keep tracking of our football booster club money. I had some questions on how to use the software. I called customer service and they answered all my questions and got me up and running no time!

Tom Rhoton
May 1st, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

The products are good, and especially welcome is the API interface when you use the cloud (SAAS) version. I use it for my business.

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have worked with QuickBooks extensively! AN EXCELLENT OPTION FOR ENTREPRENEURS AND SMALLER BUSINESSES. Don't rely on it to do everything for you though. You still need to understand what you are doing with bookkeeping. When everything functions, it saves you a ton of headaches. When things don't work, it can become a nightmare. Great for filing simple taxes though.

Brette
April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Quickbooks is what we use at works and we seem to be calling them every other week to fix something. The staff is always more than willing to help but the constant problems we have at lead to a lot of wasted time!

Maryayb
April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

This software is very user friendly and mostly without too many hiccups. Wish they had a way or module you could add to track equipment costs to jobs.

Daniel Coburn
October 9th, 2017

Quickbooks is a gold standard. The company is pushing you towards their QuickBooks online, and why not? You pay far more to use it than the stand-alone software. They almost hide the ability to buy a desktop version of the software. If you're going to use it, I'd recommend looking at the desktop version, while the online version offers a desktop app, it is not as flexible as the installed version and ends up very pricey over time with the monthly fees. That said, it is what everyone integrates with, so it has power behind it. I use zohobook, but QB is more accepted across the internet.