Divvy Logo

Divvy

8.9

LAST UPDATED: July 29th, 2021

Divvy is a free expense management software for businesses. This startup is a Utah-based company that began in 2017.

Blake Murray, the CEO and co-founder, created this company from the ground up. It continues to experience significant growth and has produced many brand new ways to track your expenses, as well as give the customer access to all of its top-of-the-line products for free.

Its new approach to expense management caught the attention of Insight Venture Partners, a large investment firm that specializes in helping small software companies have the resources and knowledge to get to the next level. With Insight Venture Partners' support, Divvy has received over $57 million in investment.

So what does Divvy offer?

Divvy's expense management platform budgets, tracks, and forecasts company spending, securely manages each transaction and subscription, and eliminates the need for expense reports. Divvy gives transparency and insights into spending in real-time from any device, allowing companies to make informed cash flow decisions, curb losses before they happen, and eliminate the need for cumbersome expense report and reimbursement processes.

Divvy's software is available throughout the United States and in the Virgin Islands.

Divvy is completely FREE, and always will be.

Keep reading to learn about the pros and cons of Divvy or jump straight to Divvy reviews from past and current customers.

The Good

• Free Expense Management Software and Credit Card
  • Secure Credit Card
  • Brand New Expense Management Features
  • Positive Customer Reviews
  • TripActions Travel Partnership

Free Expense Management Software and Credit Card

Divvy’s program services are entirely free. This means you do not have to pay anything to the company for access to all of its services. There are no per-user fees and no monthly subscriptions. Divvy makes an excellent option for businesses at any phase of development because it has no hidden charges or costs.

MasterCard issues Divvy's corporate credit card. When customers use a Divvy credit card to make a purchase, the vendor pays a fee to the bank and MasterCard. Divvy gets a portion of this fee, which is how the company makes a profit and allows customers access to this management platform for free.

Secure Credit Card

Divvy's credit card has more protections than almost all credit cards in the industry. Divvy is PCI compliant, which means it follows the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard. It hosts all of its data securely, so customers don’t need to worry about significant credit card schemes affecting their corporate card. As well, Divvy never sells its clients’ data.

Divvy has a virtual credit card, as well as a personal card for its users. With both types of cards, this company offers clients a card to work for any kind of online purchase or expense.

Divvy also has automatic fraud detection on all of its cards. Its multi-factor authentication protects your business’s sensitive information. Users can also sign in with their face or fingers.

Businesses owners can control who has access to view various budgets and information. Additionally, it does not allow employees or anyone to withdraw from an ATM or get cash back, which is another way that Divvy safeguards your company’s money.

Brand New Features

Divvy has lots of nice new features that simplify the expense management process and keep track of business funds. Users can access Divvy on a computer or a mobile phone with the Divvy Pay app. Divvy's mobile app works on iOS 10 and newer. It also is compatible with Android 5.0.1 and newer. The Divvy App does not cost anything on the App Store or Google Play Store.

Along with its mobile app, Divvy's software is compatible with any website browser.

With Divvy, it is easy to create a budget and add any employees to the budget. This tool helps managers track their team expenses and funds. Divvy tracks all of your business expenses and allows you or your team to store photos of receipts. It also follows any cost in real time and forecasts budgets for upcoming months. Users can update budgets, send money, and request cash at any time.

Divvy software is also useful for accounting and expense reporting. It will produce your company's expense reports and track these expenses, so your accountant has a clearer picture of how to get you a tax refund.

Divvy uses physical cards and allows users to create virtual cards for one-time uses or recurring uses. The card has bonus features for its use along with free access to its software. Divvy offers businesses discounts on travel and flexible rewards (including cash back) on all purchases. On average, Divvy can beat Hotels.com, Expedia, and all other large travel companies by 15%–50%. It can offer lower prices on tickets and hotels, making your company's travel expenses much cheaper. On top of discounts on travel, Divvy provides 1–7x rewards points on all expenditures, with the ability to ramp up rewards if you choose a faster billing cycle.

Positive Reviews

Divvy's platform enables the customer to have access to all of Divvy's tools and software, and it is simple and clear on how to use it. It doesn't charge you extra if your company begins using a different tool or service. Its clients have had only positive things to say because of this.

Divvy will first set up a free demo for businesses that are interested in its product. Its employees will personally answer any of your questions and help your team members step-by-step in setting up an account. Along with this, the representative will give your business a free $100 in your account for finishing the demo. These steps have helped customers tremendously and have made Divvy's customer experience be overall positive.

Customer service is also a strong point for Divvy; individuals can call their offices 24/7 and receive help with their account, assistance in setting up an account, or with just their questions. For those who don't want to wait on hold, Divvy has employees who are ready to chat back and forth with people in real time throughout the entire day.

Divvy sets clear expectations regarding its services. No hidden fees or costs have been reported, customers have been able to use the platform easily, and customers have primarily positive things to say.

TripActions Travel Partnership

For business trips, Divvy has partnered with TripActions to allow users to browse its listings for hotel, flight, and transportation bookings. Divvy's generous rewards program helps travelers share in savings by promoting cost-friendly accommodations.  Reports on travel spending are easily visible from Divvy's HR dashboard.

The Bad

• Only Available to Businesses
  • Minimum Spending Requirement
  • App Complaints

Only Available to Businesses

Divvy is designed to be used by businesses. It cannot be used by individuals to track personal expenses. This product works for any company from real estate agencies to law firms, but if you’re looking for an expense tracking tool for your own expenses, Divvy is not the best option for you.

Minimum Spending Requirement

Although this software is free, your company will need to use the Divvy Credit Card and spend $5,000 a month to use the software. For companies, this may be a small inconvenience but nothing more than that. By doing this, it gives you access to everything on Divvy's platform all for free.

App Complaints

Android users criticize the Divvy app for crashing frequently and functioning improperly, earning an average around 3 stars on the Google Play store. However, reviews from the Apple App Store average higher, in the 4-star range, and users experience less problems.

The Divvy app is not the only expense management solution to receive lower reviews on Google Play; a majority of EMS we've reviewed have received these complaints from Android users despite earning a more positive reception from Apple users.

The Bottom Line

Divvy is a great way to manage business expenses — and for an attractive monthly price of zero.

Although this company has only been in business for a few years, it only offers services to businesses (as opposed to individuals), and it requires a minimum spending amount, this company is one of the best we have reviewed. With the reports that Divvy offers, your return on taxes, as well as using the simple but useful budgeting tools, you and your team will likely save hundreds if not thousands of dollars yearly.

This software is very secure and uses various methods to safeguard your company's information. Its brand new features, including the Divvy card, make managing and reporting business finances simple and convenient for its users.

Most importantly, Divvy customers provide overwhelmingly positive feedback regarding Divvy's customer service, virtual card system, receipt capturing, recurring software subscriptions management, and other aspects of the product.

Whether you're a small business owner or are an employee helping a large business owner looking for a high-quality expense management software, Divvy is an excellent option.

Wand Rod Hyannis, MA

Sucks, This is the most ridiculous company I see to get you approved. I summited an application over a month ago and they asked for more paper every time a sent it they never respond and I have to call and ask what is going in on? They always said let me check with the department so another week passed they asked for more paper, and the same thing happened. The Customer service for the application team is awful not customers services at all, they made me wait 30 minutes on the phone and never called me back knowing my frustration with the application. I asked for withdrawing the application that was the faster thing they did without asking Why are my reasons? Do not waste your time here they are better company than this one.

M. Bowman San Diego, CA

We are able to categorize transactions after the purchase using custom fields that are searchable. Funds are allocated to a person, not a specific credit card number. Our team can switch between a physical card and virtual cards; those transactions can be categorized in a way specific to our organization. This flexibility has completely changed the way we do business. No exaggeration when I say Divvy is a game-changer. This is a new software so it can be buggy and slow at times. However, Divvy has consistently and timely addressed issues and is continually investing back in the product. After working with Divvy, I have come to respect the integrity of the organization. The staff are not only knowledgeable, but strive to create an experience that is light-hearted and fun. An unexpected treat coming from a credit card company.

William Duffy Lincoln, NE

We switched from an old Visa card with no online functionality, lengthy customer service calls, and overall nothing more than a working credit card. Not to mention, it took 3 months to set up automatic payments every time we opened a new card. Switching to Divvy was easy, free, and seamless. In an organization with 20 credit cards, they've saved us dozens of hours each month, improved accountability, and made using a credit card almost as fun as it can be. We also researched other paid products (e.g. SAP Concur) and Divvy is far and beyond a better UI with all necessary features while they continue to improve and build out other fancy features. I 100% recommend Divvy to every business. Their people and customer service is also top notch. I would definitely apply to Divvy myself if I was looking for a new job in their locations.

Christopher Greenville, SC

Divvy is an absolute lifesaver! I cannot recommend this product enough!!! As an outsourced CFO/Controller to clients both big and small, Divvy provides me the tools I need to help run the day to day business of my clients. No more chasing down receipts and expense reports. No more wondering how much we've spent in a certain area or on a certain product. Divvy is constantly upgrading and improving the feature sets too. They truly listen to their clients, and their customer service is some of the best for any industry. I would encourage any business out there to use them - they combine all of the tools you need into a single location!

Bailey Lindon, UT

If you run a business you know the struggles that come with employees, departments, and subscriptions all needing access to company funds. You need certain people to have access to funds, but not ALL of the funds, and let's not even mention the headache of collecting receipts and auditing company spending. (All they need to do is save the receipt, right?) Divvy has all of the answers to managing business credit cards and allocating money for employees and departments! Divvy makes it simple [for me, the tracker-of-spending]! I create a budget and allocate funds. I can manage all of my department's spending, whether they are running a new campaign, building a new product, or out on the road for an event. IT'S THAT SIMPLE! As it should be. Thanks, Divvy.

Tim Johnson Leawood, KS

I implemented Divvy a couple of months ago to try and eliminate or greatly reduce manual expense reports and it has worked out wonderfully. Managers love the ability to have real time visibility of their employees T&E spend and are taking a more active role in the process. In Accounting, we no longer have old, outstanding expense reports or have to input them into Quickbooks as a simple export feature from Divvy to QB accomplishes that. And our Account Executive and the Customer Support people at Divvy have been great with options to easily contact them with online chat rooms as well as phone calls or emails or looking at FAQ's. Both the phone app and the computer website are easy to use and intuitive.

Bryan Lee Midvale, UT

I can't say how delighted I was to find Divvy. Purchasing power for technicians in the field has always been a hassle, either because we were locked into a credit card from one retailer, or because expense tracking was cumbersome, and to was very difficult to control spending on individually issued credit or debit card. When we found that Divvy combined the best of both worlds (purchasing and expense tracking), and saw that we had the ability to control budgets, and freeze cards if necessary, it was a no-brainer. We were able to issue cards to as many people as needed to make purchases without worrying about overspending, and it has made our entire team more conscious of the purchasing decisions we're all making. Their support and customer service has also been fantastic.

Mike Ebert Washington, UT

Why Divvy? Because it makes my work life and expenses simple. I love the virtual card feature where you can set a budget for an expense and have it bill specifically to that "virtual credit card". Thats just the beginning, we use Divvy to purchase for projects –– we can set budgets for each project and see any variances. This keeps us profitable and certain we aren't over spending on projects. I love the feature for each user with a divvy card to "request funds" for example a gas card for an employee that only buys fuel. When they are at the pump they simply request funds and it tracks against our fuel budget. It is only continually getting better and I can't wait to grow with Divvy as a critical piece to our success...Thanks Divvy -Mike

Brian Thueson Orem, UT

Divvy gives me complete control of the credit card use of each employee. Divvy gives me full visibility and implementation of our expense policy. Customer service is great. Our rep monitors our account and when transactions get declined for whatever reason, they quickly follow-up to make sure that the problem is resolved. QuickBooks integration still requires WebConnect files instead of DirectConnect. Statements are difficult to work with.

Duke Heninger Salt Lake City, UT

I am a controller/CFO for multiple companies. I signed up with Divvy almost a year ago for one of my clients because credit card management was difficult and department heads had to wait a month before knowing what the total spend was. Game changer. Along the way, Divvy made improvements to their software which made customization and back-end work better. I am now trying to get Divvy for all of my other clients because of the transparency, ease of use for the cardholders, and because it makes life so much easier for the accountants.

Tanner Lacey American Fork, UT

Really easy to use and really straight forward. I can't believe no one has really had this idea before. Not only does it track all of our expenses, it costs us ZERO dollars and we get cash back at the end of the year. The sales and on-boarding team has been great to work with. It also makes my life so much easier that I can just give everyone inside the company a card and not have to worry about reimbursements... Really happy with Divvy

Joshua Cohen Chicago, IL

Generally people hate expense management platforms, but I rolled Divvy our several months ago and everyone loves it. As a finance person it's so great to be able to set budgets and people enjoy following them, and their slick app makes it easy to manage expenses. It is still very much a beta product however, often encounter minor bugs/glitches and there are a few features that really need to add (such as better receipt management), but overall very happy with the platform.

Lorenzo Tatum Austin, TX

My company has been using Divvy for just over a month. The software/tool is great and easy way to track the expense reporting from employees. Onboarding our employees was very easy, and our Customer Service Rep. has been very helpful, friendly and very responsive via email/calls. The Divvy team has been very receptive to feedback given. Travis Roofing Supply loves the tool!!!!

Bryan Nguyen Austin, TX

Divvy has helped us eliminate expense reporting completely. We now have complete control over our spending and have eliminated all "surprise" transactions. This has led to quicker monthly close and a more consistent monthly spend! Any time we've ever needed anything, we have multiple direct contacts that are only a phone call or email away, and they usually solve our problems same-day.

Hal Halladay Lehi, UT

Divvy makes managing expenses and controlling costs so easy and scalable. The mobile app lets you know what budget you have to spend and allows you to request funds. It tracks expenses by category and provides easy upload to Quickbooks. Because employees can only spend what has been "divvied," you can push spending to the people that need it while managing risk. Divvy onboarding and service has been excellent.

Aaron Vernon South Bend, IN

Divvy has been a huge help for us by filling our expense tracking needs in a user friendly and highly customizable manner. Divvy frees up our small finance/accounting team from employee reimbursement backlogs and expense hunting for client invoices. Divvy's support team is very helpful and responsive as well.

Brenda Salt Lake City, UT

Divvy rocks! It's super easy to set up & use. They are ridiculously helpful with getting the ball rolling. They whole team loves it. They even called to help with a problem they saw on the backend before we knew it was a concern--talk about customer service! We are delighted. The only frustration would be the app is finicky/glitchy sometimes. Whatever the cause, I'm sure they'll kick it's butt soon because that's how they roll.

Jon Beck Eagle Mountain, UT

Love the ability to organize and monitor the spending in each organization I work with. As an outsourced CFO\Controller this is everything! Love the mobile ability and the QB imports! Customer support is quick and super responsive. Great job Divvy!

Daren Haws Draper, UT

Divvy provides a lot of nice features for a free service. It's impressive how quickly the cards reflect budget increases, or can be frozen when necessary. The budget controls and ability to set up virtual cards on-the-spot has been very handy, and gives me peace of mind as I manage my company's spending.

Dennis C. Boise, ID

Great customer service. Service made my life easier! We can keep track of budgets, requests, spending all in one platform. I would like to see more control over classes, and more on the accounting side. But overall I love the service!

Tony Epperson Chandler, AZ

Divvy has been extremely great to work with! They've been extremely responsive and proactive to any issues that have arisen or questions they've been asked. I highly recommend companies using Divvy as the service is free and the experience is wonderful

Ben Faux Salt Lake City, UT

I inherited Divvy from our prior Controller. When I came on board, their customer service was excellent to work with in getting me set up, and helping me understand the platform. Divvy is very helpful with helping us watch our spend.

Kaelen Lehi, UT

We love the product that Divvy offers! It makes expense management much easier and more secure than traditional expense management systems. We especially love the control that it gives us with managing subscription software expenses with virtual cards.

Jesse DeGroff Woodinville, WA

Divvy = Cashflow Simplicity! The dashboard is so easy to use and controlling budgets and employee spending, just WOW! As a CEO and owner of several companies, this has helped organize and streamline how we follow expenditures. I have not found anything like it, and FREE! Easily saves me 5-10% revenue!

Kenneth Koch El Dorado Hills, CA

These folks at Divvy are really relative and available. I found myself with a smile on my face more times than I would expect when working on financing. They were trusting and easy to work with as well as had my back when I needed it most.

Bryce Ebeling Oceanside, CA

My company has been using Divvy for about 90 days. The platform is great tool to easily track expenses and reporting. The budgeting functions could be a bit more intuitive, but they are working on that. Customer service is FANTASTIC and always resolve issues immediately.

Kris Giles Huntsville, UT

Divvy has made expense reporting a breeze. I used to dread when my expense reports were due but not any more. Also, I love having the app where I can quickly update or check fund availability at any time. The app allows me to put in notes and take pictures of receipts as soon as I make a purchase so I don't have to think about it later.

Andres Key Biscayne, FL

I truly enjoy Divvy. It provides me with corporate cards for my team and a travel platform at no cost. The people at Divvy are very responsive and always ready to assist us if any way possible to make our experience better. Thank you guys!

Lindsey Harrison Addison, TX

I have always been a pretty early adopter for new platforms and I have to say, DivvyPay should still be in Beta Mode. The good: - The virtual cards are BRILLIANT (1 of only 2 reasons I stay) - The ease of classifications of transactions and how customizable they are, this a great thing for my accounting team! (2 of only 2 reasons I stay) - The cards look nice - Their customer service is responsive (They will not call you unless you are a new customer trying to get an account so do know that. There is no phone support after being a customer.) The bad: - The app is getting better, but still has very very limited features. - The bill pay feature; run as fast as you can from this. I have a vendor that still has not been paid and I approved and funded the transaction over a month ago. Divvy has made this a manual process and they actually call ever vendor you add into the platform. They can’t call me for support - but sure will call my vendors. Every vendor I have tried this with has complained about how rude the people are who call and the turn around time is horrific. Stop calling my vendors - learn to do this via email or text like every other institute. - Changing of banks - don’t do it. I am 5 days into this process with this very small task and it is still not complete. Again all manual. You call and request them to change your bank, they email you a form to fill out. Then you wait until they decide to email you a sign now document to fill out. Then you wait again. I have no idea what I am waiting for at this point. No follow up and nothing proactive unless you complain. Archaic. I have switched over every other service in a few clicks of a button - why can’t you all figure it out? - Rewards - forget them. You can’t use them until you have been with the platform for a year. (No one tells you this when you sign up) and their prices are always more expensive then a simple google search. Plus they charge you a service fee every time you use the points on travel. - The amount of excuses I get for their systems being subpar is amazing. I have never heard “well, we are still a start up and are trying to fix these issues. I don’t have a timeframe when they will be fixed, but it is in the pipeline” so many times from a company. Divvy - you could be great. Really really great. But you have a long ways to go. I’m rooting for you, but looking for other options in the meantime. Stop spending advertising dollars and fix your issues.

Tony G. Midvale, UT

As a manager with many field employees, Divvy allows me to track spending and enable efficient spending in the field while maintaining all the important controls over our budgets.

Jeremy Smith Lehi, UT

Divvy is a great new company and is going to take the industry by storm. We have been able to better control and have more visibility into budgets and targets with Divvy. The customer service has been great and the reps of the company have been good to work with.

Kody Spanish Fork, UT

I run catering for 12 locations and trying to keep up on getting all my drivers what they need to do there job was a nightmare and now life is easy and everything so organized and easy to stay in a budget.

Jordan American Fork, UT

Great software! Really helps with organizing financials & keeping everything in one spot. Also the virtual cards feature is great for making sure you don't get overcharged on anything. Customer service is top-notch as well.

Hillary Carver Springville, UT

Divvy's software is simple and user friendly. It's easy to keep track of expenses and sort through what needs attention and what's ready to go to the expense report.

Sterling Snow Winnemucca, NV

Divvy is simply incredible. A product that allows us to manage all spend and not deal with expense reports, so many perks. And it's FREE! Love Divvy customer service as well.

Connor Swofford New York, NY

Great idea that with each month keeps improving upon their existing features. Easy to be able to set budgets and give certain managers ownership over their funds!

John E Seminole, TX

I love Divvy's ability to capture receipts and being able to manage funds. They have excellent customer service.

Dennis Garcia Saint George, UT

I love the control Divvy provides to our company. Being able to set budgets and divvy out funds is a perfect setup.

Sharique Cedar Rapids, IA

Divvy is a great platform for entrepreneurs who always find to monitor their monthly spending

Shane Russell Fort Worth, TX

Divvy has helped us get control of our Travel and Entertainment expenses! When you call in talk to Trent M!

Julia Simon Monrovia, CA

horrible experience- they sell it as a credit card- it is not!!!!!!! be aware they charge your bank account immediately- it just happened to me