Constant Contact was created in 1998 from a prior company – Roving Software. They are a giant in the digital marketing industry and in spite of losing market share over the last five years, still are quite relevant in offering services to small and medium sized businesses. With varying levels of service in that they offer full service options as well as do-it-yourself (entering your own content and contacts into prescribed templates) services, Constant Contact is a good fit for many companies looking to increase their digital marketing footprint.
- Real-time analysis
- Competitive pricing
Constant Contact offers real-time analysis of your digital campaigns and many tracking features. Their tools are easy to use and put users in charge of creating effective and powerful digital marketing campaigns. The company also features a variety of learning tools on their website as well as hosts a number of in-person and free seminars and webinars across the country to acquaint users with their products. And as Constant Contact maintains its own social media accounts, customers can easily interact with the company and stay privy to upcoming changes or updates.
Constant Contact is competitively priced in the market and offers services based upon your company’s size. Additionally, they offer a 100% money back guarantee and a generous 60-day trial. Their templates not only support up to 50 MB of user image hosting, but they are also mobile friendly meaning customers can reach customers of their own almost anywhere. Users can also gain access to Constant Contact’s vast image library.
- Additional costs
Some of Constant Contact’s features are add-ons, which raises the price of the services. Customer service agents felt more like salespeople and were determined to get a sale rather than answer questions during two of three interactions reported by our review team. Phone support is also only available during business hours, so customers running weekend campaigns will have to wait until the following Monday if they run into any problems.
- 0 – 500 $15/mo
- 501 – 2,500 $35/mo
- 2,501 – 5,000 $55/mo
- 5,001 – 10,000 $85/mo
- 10,000+ Call (866) 876-8464 for pricing
Each of Constant Contact’s plans include unlimited sends.
Nonprofit and pre-pay discounts are available of 10% – 30% the total price of the package.
A 60 day free and full featured trial is available for all to try Constant Contact. Constant Contact backs their products with a full money back guarantee.
For those without much time to set up their email marketing, Constant Contact offers custom service packages.
Email Quick Start – $149
- Set up your account
- Upload your contact list
- Design your email with one of our product templates to include your logo, and match your company colors’
- 2-3 business day turnaround
Email Campaign Creation – $199
- Modify one of our product templates to include your logo and match company colors
- Upload and format the content you provide (text and images)
- Upload contacts
- Schedule and send, with your approval
- 3-4 business day turnaround for first draft
Email Template Creation – $399 (email postcard or promotion) $599 (email newsletter)
- Create two template design proofs for you to review. You’ll select your favorite and we’ll make changes based on your feedback.
- Program the final design into an easy-to-use email template that looks good in popular email software programs.
- Upload the template into your account, available to you only.
- 3 to 4 weeks (2 to 3 weeks if you supply the design) turnaround
Premium List Service – $300
- An experienced, dedicated account manager available throughout the process of sending your first email
- Segmentation and uploading of your list
- Consultation on email best practices, including social integration, and spam reduction techniques
- Personalized advice on API integrations and using Join My Mailing List (JMML)
- Assistance with uploading custom HTML email design
- Review of your first email’s results
- Optional: a custom footer and/or modification of a product template that matches your website’s design
- Turnaround varies based upon the size of the list
Custom Footer – $100
- Collect your requirements
- Modify the HTML and text version of the footer
- Upload your custom footer into your Constant Contact account
- 2 business days turnaround
Complete Email – Starting at $495/month
- A personal email marketing consultant, dedicated to your success
- A marketing plan, calendar and metrics to measure your success
- Uploading, segmenting, and completely managing your contact list
- Two professional email newsletters each month
- List growth tools to reach your audience via multiple channels
- Email promotion via your social media networks
- Campaign results analysis
- Turnaround time varies
Constant Contact is the standard by which many companies in the industry measure themselves. As such, their dashboard and user interface is clean, concise and easy to use. All features are accessible with a few clicks and the dashboard does not feel cluttered or chaotic, in spite of the amount of information which is available.
Constant Contact offers many options to segment lists based upon geographic location, past purchases and even social media interactions. Additionally, with some of Constant Contact’s tools, businesses can grow their contact list and reach more of their customers and prospects easily.
Clickmaps and tracking are easy to understand using Constant Contact’s analytics.
Constant Contact has award-winning mobile templates available for use to optimize smartphone or tablet email users’ experience.
Images may be stored on Constant Contact’s server and are accessible via your Constant Contact account. Image storage space cannot exceed 2GB per user.
Constant Contact uses powerful WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) templates which allow users to know exactly what they are creating and how it will be seen in different browsers, email clients and mobile devices.
Constant Contact does not mention A/B testing on their website as an automatic tracking metric. One can create A/B tests manually by varying subject lines, calls to action, etc.
All data measured by Constant Contact can be exported, but our review team was told that the formats may be a little “off” and that many people prefer using the online versions because of this particular reason.
Surveys and polls with Constant Contact are an add-on feature. As such, the cost of your plan increases $15/month for this capacity. Our review team received conflicting information as to if this could be added and removed for months in which you wanted to send a survey and removed for those survey-less months.
Social Media and Other Integrations
All campaigns include social media buttons and sharing for your subscribers to interact with you and share on their social media profiles. For a promotion of your campaign via social media, Constant Contact charges an additional $20/month. As with surveys and polls, our team did not receive a definitive answer as to if the service could be an a la carte item.
Other Reporting Features
Opens, forwards, bounced emails are all tracked by Constant Contact at no additional fee and reported into your dashboard.
Other Contact Management Features
Constant Contact offers suggestions and tool to help import your lists, add new members and to promote your business beyond that which many of their competitors offer. All subscribes and unsubscribes are automatically handles by the software.
Other Email Creating Features
Constant Contact offers many easy-to-use tools to create emails which are stunning and interactive. Forms can be added to capture more information, users can embed videos, invitations to events and much more using tools optimized for Constant Contact templates.
Custom Contact (HQ)
1601 Trapelo Road
Waltham, MA 02451
- US & Canada (855) 783-2308
- Monday – Friday 9am – 8pm ET
- UK 0800 141 3172
- Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm GMT
- International+1 781-482-8911
- Monday – Friday 9am – 8pm ET