This company has been around for 15 years. With 13 years of honest effort, Volusion has excellent customer service when it comes to meeting eCommerce needs. All of their plans include Unlimited storage. Online Support, Social Media Tools, Facebook Store, Mobile Commerce, and Automatic Tax Rates are also included with each Volusion Plan.
Things that we liked about Volusion include:
- 15 years in the eCommerce platform industry.
- Over 100 different themes and templates to choose from.
- Up to 100 products for their Mini plan.
- Their YouTube channel contains over 150 videos with helpful two minute tips.
Safer Security options have been adopted by Volusion by offering a variety of SSL certificate options. Depending on your budget you can choose from the most trusted and secured SSL certificates currently available.
Though Volusion may offer the best premium SSL certificates, these certificates aren’t always very cheap. SSL certificates can range from $89 all the way up to nearly $1,000. Use caution when it comes to picking the SSL best for you. Bandwidth with Volusion comes fairly limited which may cause slower traffic on your site. You can monitor you’re shop’s traffic anytime which help’s gauge how well the Bandwidth is currently serving you.
A couple of things we are concerned with are:
- A longer trial period instead of only 14 days to try out the product.
- Claiming to have no transaction fees or credit card rates associated with purchases but all ecommerce platforms require a merchant service which will most likely have a transaction fee.
Volusion offers nearly every eCommerce feature when it comes to hosting a shop online. Many of these are already included, if not, you’re likely to find the feature you want at an additional cost. Pricing can vary so be sure to know what features are included with your monthly service.
- Level 1 Plan: Mini at $15/month – Get 1 GB Bandwidth, Unlimited Storage, 100 Products, 24/7 Online Support, Social Media Tools, and Mobile Commerce. Save $18 per year with annual pricing.
- Level 2 Plan: Plus at $35/month – Get 4 GB Bandwidth, Unlimited Storage, 1,000 Products, 24/7 Online & Phone Support, Social Media Tools, and Mobile Commerce. Save $42 per year with annual pricing.
- Level 3 Plan: (Most Popular) Pro at $75/month – Get 10 GB Bandwidth, Unlimited Storage, 10,000 Products, 24/7 Priority Support, Social Media Tools, Mobile Commerce, Amazon + Ebay Integration, API Access, and a CRM. Save $90 per year with annual pricing.
- Level 4 Plan: Premium at $135/month – Get 35 GB Bandwidth, Unlimited Storage, Unlimited Products, 24/7 Priority Support, Social Media Tools, Mobile Commerce, and a Dedicated Account Manager. Save $162 per year with annual pricing.
Fees (Transaction Fees): All Volusion plans have 0% Transaction Fees.
Hidden fees (Y/N): Yes. If you go over the product amount for your plan, you will be charged extra or upgraded to new plan that allows more products to be hosted. There is also an installation fee every time your certificate is renewed. You may choose to opt for a 3 year certificate to avoid this fee in the future.
Free trial (Y/N): Yes. The free trial period lasts for two weeks (14 days).
Storefront Security (10=highly secured): 10. Volusion storefronts are highly secure. This company Level 1 PCI Certified, and are investing millions of dollars to remain fully PCI/CISP certified – Exceed the industry standards, pass inspection from an independent auditor, and complete a screening process to remain on Visa’s certification list. Volusion handles transactions with over 30 secured gateways approved by both Visa and Mastercard. Along with these Volusion security system benefits, they offer affordable SSL certificates to protect your site and customer’s sensitive data during checkout. You can pick from many SSL certificate provider from the Volusion website. I suggest choosing a 3 year option if available so that you don’t have to pay an install fee as often.
Storefront Design (10= highly designable): 9. Volusion gives you dozens of free templates to choose from that are designed in-house. Premium themes are also available at an extra cost ranging from $150 – $895. If you prefer a different theme for your shop, Volusion has a design team design available to build unique themes/templates specific to what your shop needs. Otherwise users can design their own storefront by using the standard edit/design options, HTML, or CSS. Volusion has several design services available, although custom or premium designs are priced according to shop preferences.
Time in business: Volusion was created in 1999 by Founder and Chairman, Kevin Sproles.