Squarespace is an extremely robust website builder and eCommerce platform. If you are looking to achieve a professional website look coupled with a strong eCommerce platform, Squarespace is a great option.
Some things that we liked about SquareSpace were:
- Offers the lowest price per month, $8, in the eCommerce platform industry.
- 28 beautiful themes put together, as well as freedom for customization.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Getty Images integration for access to over 40 million high quality images.
Squarespace is one of the leaders in the eCommerce industry by offering a vast array of beautiful templates to help you get started. On the back-end, Squarespace has an easy to use dashboard that offer marketing insights as well.
Customer Service is another bright spot for Squarespace. Squarespace offers 24/7 customer service via live chat, tickets, and phone calls. Such customer service is extremely valuable when your sales and brand are on the line. In addition to great customer service, Squarespace also offers a vast knowledge base, workshops, and community answers to frequent questions.
The worst part of Squarespace is their transaction fee. When a customer checks out on your Squarespace website, you are charged 2.9% of the transaction plus $0.30 each time. If you sell low cost products, the additional $0.30 can have an additional sting coupled with the 2.9% transaction fee. Sometimes with the drag and drop editor for your website, it can be very difficult to achieve the exact look and functionality you have envisioned.
Squarespace is known for helping users create beautiful and elegant websites and eCommerce stores which is something not found most days with eCommerce platforms. However there are a few things that concerned us about using Squarespace as an eCommerce platform:
- Every eCommerce store needs to use a payment gateway or merchant service to begin accepting payments online. During our research we found that Squarespace only offers one payment gateway, Stripe. While Stripe might be an excellent solution as a payment gateway or merchant service, we think that it is important for an eCommerce platform to offer more than one payment gateway to be flexible with its users.
- For those that don’t have all the time in the world to make a custom website from scratch like to use themes or templates. Like we said before, Squarespace is designed to provide users with a beautiful design for their eCommerce store or website but for those that don’t have time to design their site, Squarespace only offers around 30 themes and templates. Some of our top recommended companies in the eCommerce platform offer over 100 different themes.
- We have also found Squarespace’s customer support to be somewhat lacking. Live chat is an important that businesses pay for so that they can offer quality support, 24/7 and we weren’t able to find that at Squarespace. Squarespace is a powerful website builder as well as an eCommerce platform and sometimes can be difficult to maneuver.
Some customers are confused by the “free” offers from Squarespace. Squarespace allows their customers to try their product for free for 14 days and the customer assumes payment after the free trial. This free trial is very similar to other business in the industry, but is worth mentioning and taking into account when signing up.