Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

SquareSpace Logo

6.8

SquareSpace

Beautiful Designs, Robust eCommerce System, Great Customer Service

Squarespace is a leader in eCommerce, offering beautiful designs, great customer service, and a robust system at a higher than average transaction cost.

The Good

• Templates
  • Customer Service
  • Additional Features

Squarespace is an extremely robust website builder and eCommerce platform. If you are looking to achieve a professional website look coupled with a strong eCommerce platform, Squarespace is a great option.

Templates

Squarespace is one of the leaders in the eCommerce industry by offering an array of beautiful templates to help you get started. On the back end, Squarespace has an easy to use dashboard that offers marketing insights as well.

Customer Service is another bright spot for Squarespace. Squarespace offers 24/7 customer service via live chat, tickets, and phone calls. Such customer service is extremely valuable when your sales and brand are on the line. In addition to great customer service, Squarespace also offers a vast knowledge base, workshops, and community answers to frequent questions.

The Bad

• Transaction Fee
  • Payments
  • Themes
  • Free Trial

Squarespace is known for helping users create beautiful and elegant websites and eCommerce stores, which is something not found most days with eCommerce platforms. However there are a few things that concerned us about using Squarespace as an eCommerce platform.

Transaction Fee

Squarespace itself does not charge a transaction fee. However, it uses both Paypal and Stripe as payment gateways, and those merchants apply a transaction fee as high as 2.75 percent of the transaction plus $0.30 each time. If you sell low cost products, the additional $0.30 can have an additional sting coupled with the 2.75 percent transaction fee. Sometimes with the drag and drop editor for your website, it can be very difficult to achieve the exact look and functionality you have envisioned.

Payments

Every eCommerce store needs to use a payment gateway or merchant service to begin accepting payments online. During our research we found that Squarespace only offers one payment gateway, Stripe. While Stripe might be an excellent solution as a payment gateway or merchant service, we think that it is important for an eCommerce platform to offer more than one payment gateway to be flexible with its users.

Themes

For customers who don't have all the time in the world to make a custom website from scratch most like to use themes or templates. Like we said before, Squarespace is designed to provide users with a beautiful design for their eCommerce store or website but for those that don't have time to design their site, Squarespace only offers around 30 themes and templates. Some of our top recommended companies in the eCommerce platform offer over 100 different themes.

Free Trial

Some customers are confused by the "free" offers from Squarespace. Squarespace allows its customers to try its product for free for 14 days and the customer assumes payment after the free trial. This free trial is very similar to other businesses in the industry, but is worth mentioning and taking into account when signing up.

The Bottom Line

Squarespace offers great designs to help your business look professional and affords the user a great eCommerce experience. The great service comes at a little higher price, but the value is worth the transaction fees to many customers. Squarespace is a great eCommerce solution with top-tier customer service, great designs, and a robust system.

Gavin Schmalz
November 5th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

SquareSpace is a great service if you need to build a website. the website templates that squarespace offer look great and the process of setting a website up is very simple. Squarespace offers features for selling things online and can help you manage your orders. they can also help link your website with Paypal or process credit cards for easy payment.

Violet Owl
June 28th, 2017

I had a problem with deleting an image. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out. I decided to reach out to customer service through their live chat. They were friendly and patient and didn't stop helping me until we solved the problem. I was very pleased and help that I chose squarespace to host my domain.

Ali Hanif
June 28th, 2017

SquareSpace has an awesome customer service team, although they aren't available real time if you tweet at them they get back to you same business day. the forums are quite detailed and you often can get your questions answered there, with the help of the community which is quite vocal

Patty Mascia
June 28th, 2017 Missoula, MT

I reach out to Squarespace via Twitter & was sent a link for one-on-one chat support. Lisa B. walked me through reinstalling the DNS (apparently I had broken the site myself - oops! XD) and was very patient with my browser-juggling. She was very kind and helpful, and I truly appreciate her guidance.

Sandra Dubas
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have used their service for the last couple of years and most of the time I'm satisfied with what they have to offer. Their mobile app is very easy to use but I couldn't find a way to export my my inventory from their app. Also, their templates are simple and very useful.

Kamau Patrick
June 5th, 2017

100% uptime, user friendly, responsive customer care, good designs. Although it doesnt have 100% of features i wanted,i still believe its the best service that fits me. Their secure websites for customers is such a good thing!

Maile Curtis
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Great content and layouts. It was really easy to build a website that I wanted for my business. I never had a problem with them.

Noah Love
April 19th, 2017

I moved my site over it square space and bough I had no understanding of building a website, each template allowed me to customize to my liking. I love how free I am to make my site my own. The pricing and domain and email set up is streamlined for convience and the add-on's are amazing!!!

Naz Taha
April 18th, 2017

Key worden: excellent service , elegant layouts, show of Analytics, globalisering, userfriendly, Social media, quick response on Twitter

Chad Hamre
October 19th, 2016

I really like squarespace for simple content sites, but I was using it for ecommerce. Eventually I need to migrated to something like shopify or tic tail, but was horrified to find out there was no way to export my ecommerce inventory from the app. This was crazy since I had manually created thousands of products, and there was no way to keep that work if I moved. After being held prisoner for a year, I finally found a chrome extension (http://export-squarespace-products.com) that would let export my entire product feed from squareapace and make the move to shopify. Ahhh.

william Sayer
December 1st, 2014 Greenville, SC

We had issues with my wife's website for her business on Squarespace. It worked fine on the IPhones we tested, but on the default browser for the Samsung Galaxy it would not navigate once you reached the homepage. You also couldn't fill in the information in the contact form on her page. She contacted Squarespace and they initially sent a generic email explaining some ridiculous steps that wouldn't work. She persisted in getting help from their customer support and they said it worked fine in Google Chrome on the Galaxy. Great! Now we just have to tell all of our potential customers to get Chrome! When my wife said that it was the default browser that didn't work and not Chrome, they said everything was fine on their end (just ignoring her concern). Galaxy owners outnumber IPhone owners 2 to 1. Most people don't download Chrome. They use the default browser. This is truly a horrible business practice. There is a valid problem here and they won't do a thing to fix it. By the way, this was tested on 3 different Galaxies with the same result.