Shopify Logo

Shopify

7.5

Shopify has a major presence in the eCommerce market. It powers a significant number of online stores and is considered an industry leader. Shopify also offers its customers many different options for creating an entirely unique storefront, and its tools are integrated so well that you will find every tool you need to manage your online store (as well as in-store POS) right at your fingertips. Shopify has already helped businesses sell over 8 billion dollars worth of products.

Whether you sell online, on social media, in-store, or out of the trunk of your car, Shopify has you covered. Selling your products in many places should be every bit as simple as selling in one. With Shopify’s e-commerce software, you get one unified platform to run your business with ease. When we say it’s never been easier to start a business, we mean it. Shopify handles everything from marketing and payments, to secure checkout and shipping. Now you can focus on the things you love.

Be sure to check our Shopify Reviews below to see what others have to say about this e-commerce site.

View Best eCommerce Software Companies

The Good

• Templates
  • Mobile Accessibility
  • Plans
  • Security
  • Features

Templates

Shopify offers more than 100 professionally designed templates. It also has a theme store where you can pick a theme that specifically corresponds to the industry your product is part of. On top of this, Shopify allows third party professionals to design themes, which are then featured among the other storefront templates. Shopify also has its own programming language known as Liquid, which can be used to make a completely unique storefront. Customers with a little coding experience can also design their own storefront using HTML or CSS.

Mobile Accessibility

The mobile functionality allows for shop owners to manage their store from their mobile device. Shopify's App store also features more than 500 apps (both free and paid), all of which are geared towards optimizing your online business. Shopify has 24/7 customer support and has even listed special telephone numbers for international customers. The Shopify website has changeable language settings that make it user friendly.

Plans

Shopify's Basic package costs $29/month and includes an unlimited amount of file storage, bandwidth, products, and a discount code engine. For those customers who aren't ready for an online store, Shopify offers a Lite starter package that gives users most of the same features as the upgraded packages, except for ways to sell on your own online store, Pinterest, and Twitter. Users can choose from special templates and are guaranteed use of a secure checkout system. If you need more than the Lite and Basic package, Shopify has two other plans to choose from that range in price from $79-$179 per month. The difference between these plans is the credit card rates online and in person. The online credit card rates for Shopify's Lite and Basic plan are 2.9% + $0.30 and 2.6% + $0.30 and 2.4% + $0.30 for the Pro and Unlimited plan, respectively. Shopify even has plans available for enterprises which means it is basically able to service any kind of business out there.

Security

Shopify's storefronts are highly secure. Shopify is certified PCI compliant, and the company hosts many online stores and handles a massive amount of transactions using its own payment system. Even though Shopify has its own system, it also works with 70 other payment gateways so there is no need to have Shopify handle your transactions if you already have a Shopify-supported payment gateway. Along with the security of Shopify's payment system, the company also offers a free highly secure SSL certificate to protect customer's information.

Features

Shopify boasts many features. According to its website, it has many free themes for your ecommerce website, accepts credit card payments, has multiple sales channels, a store builder with search engine, review apps, and discount code options.

With its inventory management and free apps, it makes it simple for a small business to start selling immediately.

The Bad

• Mobile App
  • Plans
  • Shopify Payments

Mobile App

Shopify's apps may streamline your online store operations, but many of them charge additional monthly prices on top of the price you pay to keep your Shopify store running. The apps are helpful and can save time for crucial business operations like accounting, marketing, and shipping.

Plans

The Lite plan doesn't allow you to sell online; it only allow sales through Facebook or a Point of Sale system. The Lite and Basic plans come with a variety of useful features but in order to have gift cards, professional reports, and an abandoned cart recovery you will need to pay for the upgraded Pro plan. In order to get an advanced report builder, real-time carrier shipping, and the lowest card rates for transactions, you will need to pay for the Unlimited plan.

Shopify Payments

Using "Shopify Payments" removes the transaction fee but if you choose to go with a third-party payment gateway, that transaction fee will be required. If you decide to use an external payment gateway other than Shopify Payments, then you will be charged some percentage of a transaction fee ranging from 2 percent to .5 percent depending on which plan you are on.

The Bottom Line

Shopify is a trusted eCommerce platform. If you are looking to create a highly functional and attractive online store, Shopify is a worthwhile investment. Shopify's month-to-month costs are slightly higher than its competitors, but with its modern storefront templates and its integration abilities, Shopify has truly proven itself as a leader in the eCommerce industry.

4.1

Oliver Sherren Provo, UT

It was a great experience! I really loved the different capabilities that Shopify offers. They give very customized or standard capabilities depending on your needs. A little expensive for what it is, but overall a great experience.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I had researched a number of hosting sites for our small store's e-commerce website, and after comparing all the options went with shopify. Shopify has been amazing at tracking out traffic, linking with our social media platforms and has incredible apps that make advancing our website as we grow seamless! I love the mobile dashboard and how easy it is to track sales as they come in and process the. Their templates are awesome and sleek! Shopify has become a crucial part of our business success!

Chase Sagum Pleasant Grove, UT

I've setup 4 different stores with Shopify over the past year and have loved how simple and effective it is. Here's what I love about Shopify: 1. That it only takes me about 1-2 hours to get everything setup from the domain to design, all the way to getting my products imported. 2. My site and checkout are all mobile optimized right out of the gate. 3. Getting setup with Shopify's merchant account only takes me a day or two before I'm live and taking orders. 4. They have a really cool fraud protection system that evaluates the risk levels of each transaction. Great for preventing charge backs. 5. The mobile app makes it super easy to manage orders when I'm away from the office. 6. I'm a dropshipper and Shopify makes drop shipping super easy. Whenever I hit the "fulfill" button on an order it automatically emails fulfillment the details of the order. Love Shopify! These guys are great. Highly recommend for anyone wanting to get into Ecommerce.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I like Shopify because this company has made it easy to sell my own products online. I don't like how there are a limited number of themes.

Gillian Morgan

At MorGo Online we provide a service to bring small business into the online world. We are currently working with a client with very limited IT skills and they have avoided the online world due to this. In order to allow their business to move forward they must have an online store. After providing them with the options available they selected Shopify. MorGo Online is building the site ready for launch in 3 months and we are confident that our clients will be able manage their store. Through easy to follow tabs, simple layouts and the option to edit images online, Shopify has provided a service which will enable growth. Would be very happy to recommend Shopify to other clients looking at an e-commerce platform. MorGo Online Team.

Preston Jackson Lehi, UT

Shopify is hands-down the best platform to build an e-commerce store. They’ve built out the tools and ecosystem that make it possible to build just about whatever you need.

Heather Truelove Levittown, PA

I googled "Shopify customer support" and called the number. There was a very polite message explaining that they were in conference working on new components, but that support was available via Twitter and email. I messaged on Twitter and received a reply in just a few minutes that answered my question clearly. Very happy.

Mike Rusallo Waco, TX

I set up a Shopify store with my wife for a small business she started selling some of her baby clothing. It was really easy, which was nice because we didn't need to hire a developer or a designer. We had our questions answered really quickly and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Rose G.

I used Shopify for a past project - a custom athletic sock store. I found it to be easy and user friendly and was surprised at how good the store looked with minimal effort and design skills. For me, the best part is the 24/7 support. I will definitely use them for my next entrepreneurial project.

Ashley Ulibarri Los Angeles, CA

Shopify is by far the best platform to host your online store. It’s so easy to set up and to create a beautiful professional webpage. The learning tools and plugin selection is also amazing. Even at their lowest plan you get so much value.

Beth Farmer Pleasant Grove, UT

Shopify is my favorite eComm platform by far. The user interface is so intuitive and easy to use. My first time using it I was able to find my way around fairly quickly and if I got lost they have an excellent help center. I'm not the savviest tech person and I figured it out which I why I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to sell something online. I also love all the integrations--it's easy to connect analytics, social media, email, and any other software you want integrated.

Nishita McLean, VA

Swear by this product, was a task set up more than 50 products but happy with the output. the customer service agents are really helpful, will recommend Shopify, however, it is pricey. Waiting for the day they will introduce better text formatting options, other than that no complaints.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

We own an eCommerce business and have used Shopify for a few years now and LOVE it. I have been so happy with our experience and would recommend them to others. Also, it is very user friendly.

Tiauna Anderson Saratoga Springs, UT

My company uses Shopify as our processing service and we love it. It's easy to manage orders for individual customers and the site is very user friendly. I can pull up most any list of customers I need based on what specific details I'm looking for. I highly recommend!

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

I used Shopify at my last job on a daily basis as an accounts payable clerk. Though I think it gets the job done, I felt there was a lot of beating around the bush to get my companies accounting system to connect with Shopify. Something I loved, however, was the ease at which issuing refunds to the customer was accomplished! We were able to issue a refund within less than 24 hours of the customer requesting it! Overall, great product!

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

This is the way to go if you are just beginning to set up shop! The pricing is really low per month and you get to choose the look and feel of your website. It is a highly trusted company that can prove over and over their product works and helps you begin your business.

nicola jones Dunoon, AGB

Easy to use Works withe the customer to allow them to create an easy to use intuitive website I would work with no other shop platform

Sydney Reed Leawood, KS

While working my first retail job, I used Shopify daily to complete sales transactions. The software can be easily comprehended and usually functioned properly.

Rich M Brady

Upper pricing tiers have some really comprehensive features. There are a few functions that you'd hope was standard that aren't, but there's usually an app that you can add-on.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I love how user friendly Shopify is. I had to move my site to Wordpress because I needed some custom things that I couldn't make happen on shopify but I miss how simple and straightforward the backend was on shopify.

take7 Sandy, UT

This makes online shopping easier to order and track and follow up and return if you need to. Having an account makes it easier to navigate all the shopping sites. It's really basic and simple which I like a lot.

Michelle Schow Saratoga Springs, UT

Shopify is a user friendly system that is intuitive and has a lot of useful tools for small business owners. I don’t consider myself technology savvy, but I was able to create a website and navigate Shopify for my business.

Tony Riverton, UT

Set up a shopify site with a family member and it was surprisingly easy to use. Lots of template options to choose from and cost is a lot cheaper than paying a company to make you a site.

Tony Gibson American Fork, UT

We've been using Shopify for about a year now and so far so good. It let us set up our webpage and online store easily and though we've had to do some tweaking since we are a very specialized business, they are flexible enough for us to make it work. It has been a good experience.

Cassandra Sunnyvale, CA

Shopify is a great ecommerce platform. I love when merchants use Shopify, because then I can just login and all my details are already there! Shopify also tracks your packages when you login, which is a huge plus.

Joy Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

Great platform if you don't want to use something like Amazon or eBay. The site does take a lot of education to get off the ground, but if you have something cool to sell and don't want to spend a ton on fees at the other sites, shopify is the way to go.

Liana Colorado Springs, CO

They have a ton of add-ons, that, if you are willing to pay more money for, can create a very powerful inventory management system. If you have a large and varied inventory, this is probably your best option.

Christy Moore Provo, UT

I was recently an intern for a start up company whose website was run by Shopify. My team and I spent a lot of time learning from Shopify’s great tutorials to learn more about SEO!

Tim Berrett American Fork, UT

Very simple to setup, extend, customize and use. I have used this to setup individual sites as well as in an enterprise scenario. Get self-service documentation. Great customer service. Very simple. Their payment partner (Stripe) is not great and more difficult to work with.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I did not use shopify as a salesperson, but as a customer. Purchasing through this program was seamless and wonderful.

Tammy Pierce Orange Park, FL

I havw a shopify website,now for 10 months haven't sold one thing have complained they would not look into it for me at all, so I have started digging. You have to know HTML to fix. WBC CSS Validation 388 warnings, 29 errors, Google Tag Assisstant 159 warnings,errors its 23 pages long. html checker after 1024 bytes, 11 errors, I am using their template. No wonder my site has never had a sale and does not appear on google search. They deleted one of my products and can't give me an explanation why, they only keep 30 days of info! I sell everywhere else but Shopify!

Qazi Nauman Mujahid

I purchased an item from www.above-av.com having Shopify as payment processor or guarantor. Even after passing a month I did not get the item and support of website gave only one reply to wait more and then stopped responding. I contacted Shopify and they told me to claim from your bank. I observed that there are other such stores of Shopify so I believe they are the owners of such fake stores and looting / scamming people. I found more complaints on Shopify related to them. Worst experience, everyone should BOYCOTT Shopify.

Alberto

I would urge people trying to build a serious business not to choose shopify. Shopify is great until you have a problem. Their support is none existant. They are not very pro business, for example they are quick to disable your account if a payment method fails. Unlike other sites which will block admin access, shopify take your site offline. Better not lose your card associated with your shopify otherwise when your card gets cancelled your site will go offline!!!! Support will not help you either!

Myra Howes Provo, UT

I did like Shopify when I worked at a place that used it. I don't know if it was the app or if it was my training on the app though, that I was a little confused sometimes. Charging some customer or gift cards didn't seem very intuitive. I wish there were more instructions as you go.

BJ Tenney Woods Cross, UT

I'm a software developer that helps maintain a shopify site. It has a ton of great features if you've got little technical help, but it's really hard to keep this type of site maintainable as your company grows. There is a ton of code duplication required to get content on the site to work well because you can't re-use a lot of pieces.

Connor Farmington, UT

I currently use Shopify at work and they make it super simple to manage everything. From Analytics to discounts, to fulfilling orders, they have a very great UX.

Kathryn Robinson Riverton, UT

Shopify is a great retail platform for small business owners to sell products or services. The program is pretty intuitive to use and set up a website for selling products.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Shopify is a site my side gig uses for its business, and it works pretty well. Sometimes, I have to dig for what I'm looking for, but I don't mind it. It's pretty user friendly.

Chelsea Horrocks Salt Lake City, UT

Very useful that it connects our POS (Vend) with our shop website. The interface is beautiful and organized. Costumer service is usually very quick and helpful when issues arise.

Maureen Canelo Tallahassee, FL

I used this app for a magnet sale at my university and it was not difficult to use. I appreciated the convenience of this app.

Roberson Salt Lake City, UT

We use shopify in the shipping depart where I am employed. It works about 85% of the time, although with increase traffic, orders, and shipments the site degrades quite fast, slowing or even breaking down. Customer service is fairly helpful.

Daphne Brown Riverton, UT

I like the service but it doesn't work great all the time. I need to spend extra time to get it all working and less on building the product. The price is high for what I receive and I am thinking of other services.

Amanda Warrendale, PA

I love how easy Shopify makes checking out at different online stores, no need to get your credit card out and type your address.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

Shopify's dropship option made business easier to do. I didn't have to spend tons of money on shipping costs. However, the customer service was awful and the site ended up having a ton of problems. Links not working, for instance. Also, I would like to see more of a variety of products.

bailey jo Orem, UT

Shopify makes it soooo easy to set up a online shop and easy to keep track of everything. Love the user friendly set up and updates

Jobie Goodro Orem, UT

Simple and easy to use. I like that I can connect everything to keep it all strait and in one place. Very easy to add to your website.

Amanda Montebello, CA

Shopify is a great program to launch a new website and they offer great loan services.

Missy Ryan West Jordan, UT

It's actually super easy to use in my opinion, super helpful in the workplace with taking care of orders.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

Shopify provides an easy and flawfless user interface in which to buy and sell items. Much simpler to use than other counterparts.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Shopify is very easy to use for our online shop. It is easy to keep up on inventory. It works seamlessly with Wordpress and square.