Etsy Logo

7.3

LAST UPDATED: January 24th, 2022

Etsy was originally launched in 2005 by a small company known as iospace. The name of the platform was carefully picked because the executives wanted a "nonsense word that could be built into a brand from scratch." Etsy garnered attention within its first year due to the added tools and functionality that allowed business owners to see improved traffic and exposure. After seeing tremendous growth and rapid revenue and sales increases, Etsy finally went public in April of 2015. Today, Etsy is valued at $1.8 billion. Etsy is designed to help both sellers and buyers, allowing business owners to connect with their niche markets.

View Best eCommerce Software Companies

The Good

• Business Management Tools
  • Hassle-Free Shipping
  • Seamless Payments
  • Search Features
  • Additional Features

Business Management Tools

While simple, Etsy has created a number of tools and provides resources to maximize exposure and traffic based on targeted searches by prospective buyers. These tools increase flexibility and potential to maximize profits. Resources include the following:

• Business management from anywhere: Etsy has the "Sell on Etsy" app which allows business owners to manage orders, update items, and respond to customers from mobile devices.
  • Promotional tools: Whether it is through social media or other forms of exposure, Etsy provides sellers with the ability to promote their listing to drive and even increase traffic.

Hassle-Free Shipping

Sellers do not need to worry about the logistics of shipping because shipping labels can be printed directly from Etsy. Sellers who use Etsy also receive discounted pricing on USPS postage. Etsy also previously rolled out a buyer Free Shipping Guarantee for U.S. orders over $35.

Seamless Payments

Etsy takes care of all payment processing so the seller does not have to worry about it.

Search Features

Etsy isn't just for those looking to host an online shopping cart. It has created a platform that is easy for consumers to navigate and purchase products. Consumers can search the entire e-commerce platform and browse through various categories and products to find exactly what they are looking for at a price they are willing to pay. Not only does Etsy come with descriptive categories, consumers can also use advanced search options to narrow results and cut down on browsing time. Each category also comes with sub-categories to provide a more targeted shopping experience.

Additional Features

Etsy also offers order and negative feedback management, which can help a lot in the marketplace if a problem arises. It also leaves the ability to leave a review, for a customer to express their opinion. The general idea of these features seemed to be based on feedback from merchants, to improve the website.

The Bad

• Fees
  • Privacy
  • Third Parties

Just like any other e-commerce platform, there are some areas that could be improved.

Fees

There are additional fees that come with selling on Etsy. After a "store" is created by business owners, it will cost them $0.20 per listing. There are no limits to these listings, but the seller will need to cover listing costs. This listing will remain on the market for four months or until the item is sold. After the four months is up, the seller will need to pay for the listing again. Etsy costs include the following:

• Transaction fees - 5 percen of the listing price (this includes the charge for shipping and gift wrapping)
  • Shipping costs - to be covered by buyer or seller
  • Quarterly listing costs - 20 cents

Privacy

Users have expressed concerns regarding their privacy. In late 2013, Etsy created a feature that allowed users' buying and selling histories to be searched which traced transactions. This meant that Etsy users were now connected to others who had similar buying or selling histories. However, this feature was automatic and no permission was/is obtained by the user.

Third Parties

Customers who purchase products on Etsy should also be aware that sellers are now able to use third parties and factories. That also means that products can be drop shipped directly from manufacturers and no longer go through the seller. This can be deceiving since Etsy is known for being a platform for selling handmade products.

The Bottom Line

Etsy was originally designed to help people sell their homemade products, functioning as a side business. However, it has grown to the point where some business owners strictly conduct all of their business online through the Etsy platform. Benefits of using Etsy as an e-commerce platform include the following:

• No monthly payments
  • Secure and seamless transactions
  • Automatic deposits
  • Seller protection

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

I have been working with Etsy for about 8mo now and have been happy with the results I have seen. I found setting up the account a little daunting at first, but as I followed the instructions it got a lot easier. The fees charged are nominal compared to the services they provide. Etsy makes the transaction between seller and customer flow seamlessly. I am not only a seller on Etsy but a happy customer. I have always been satisfied with my purchases and appreciate how easy it is to find the most incredible gifts. All the way around Etsy is a quality company, one I plan on doing business on both sides for years to come.

BETTY RUPPEL Fort Myers, FL

I’ve purchased many items on Etsy without any problems. The problem is when the seller does not follow through with an item. It’s next to impossible to work with customer service….in reality there is no customer service. If you have an issue with a seller, you are on your own. I’m done with Etsy.

7 hours ago

JZ Farmer Fayetteville, NC

Some products purchased don't live up to expectations. I order a plat that arrived sick and shortly died. I've ordered housewares that dot meet advertised expectations. Recommend Etsy monitor who is selling what and their business practices.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

I love the variety of products that Etsy has and how it's all about supporting small artisans. I want to do everything that I can to support the small artists, especially since the pandemic. I use Etsy the most for gifts for my friends, the only thing is I need to make sure that I order it quite a bit in advance because orders take a while. My gifts have always been high quality and personalized.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Thus far, I have never been let down by Etsy (the website itself/customer service) nor any of the individual small businesses on there. The products have always arrived exactly as described by the sellers, communication is amazing and prompt. Additionally, many of the sellers I have bought from, include detailed instructions on how to use the products efficiently. Overall a great platform for buyers and sellers.

Rebecca D

Etsy is totally amazing! You can find one-of-a-kind items that are handmade and unique for everyone. I have purchased a lot of items that I’ve been search for years now.

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

Etsy is filled with TONS of things people make and sell. They may seem a little confusing to use at first but the overall purchasing abilities are fairly straight forward. I've bought so many items off this site! Definitely great resource when you're trying to find those "hard to find" items.

Adam Sokal Warsaw, 14

My girlfriend sells her paintings on Etsy. It is a great site which connects buyers and sellers from all over the world. You can find special, handmade things there.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

My main business uses Etsy, to market and sell to customers. It's a great site and software. I've noticed that when I introduce a new product, I end up making a lot of sales within the first few days and I think it's because Etsy highlights new items to customers, although I'm not sure. After a couple of days the sales slowed for the new product. We have had a lot of success. The company is not without cons however. It is annoying how much of your sales Etsy skims off the top. It ends up being something around 20% of my total sale including the listing fee. I will never be happy about that. Other than that, I think it's a great ecommerce tool.

Cheri Sconce Imperial, MO

I like to support other companies however I will be more cautious on what I order and where. Its my own fault but should of checked Amazon. The product I ordered on Nov 6 is still sitting in China. Yeah big mistake. I couldn't tell you how many ports it's gone thru. And it's Dec 2 and still in China. Seriously they must be walking with the package to ea place. Amazon has it and I could of had it 2 weeks ago. Now I want my order canceled and refunded. Not getting much help with that. Next time I'll do better on my research.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

From both a customer rand a seller on their platform the site is well built, the fees are fair, and it's easy to get up and running as a beginner.

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

Etsy work very well , anything that you search up you will find on the search menu for Etsy. I highly recommend it, this is one of my favorite apps to use to shop online. As a business owner you can sell your product at any price you like and then and the buyer feel like they are comfortable with that price they will buy it. The process on how to make a payment is very simple as well

BLINK WB Lansdale, PA

I ordered 2 items from ETSY seller and I did not receive them. When I reached out to the seller she basically said “yes it was delivered”. I AM HOME ALL DAY WITH A DOG THAT WILL BARK IF A CAR DOOR CLOSES. The seller so far has not made me financially whole. Shame on ETS

Amy Steidle Canandaigua, NY

If you want to buy from an e-commerce company that takes unauthorized charges and scams seriously, steer clear of Etsy. Useless customer service.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Solid experience with Etsy. Grew my business through volume contacts. They are a solid platform to create new selling opportunities. The technology is smart, the support system never waivers. If you value sales improvement, get the word out on Etsy.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

I have both bought and sold items on Etsy. It is very easy to use as both a buyer or seller. They have a great selection of many interesting and high quality items. I have only had one issue as a buyer and it was easy to reconcile through the website. Support small businesses!

Laurie Massie Mendenhall, MS

I have bought and sold on Etsy. The computer interface is very user friendly and makes it easy to “Set up shop”. As a shopper, the search engine feature is AMAZING! I love that I can type in anything into the search & find whatever I’m looking for! Highly recommend, especially for selling your treasures!

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I have bought on Etsy, and I also own a small shop on the website. It is extremely user-friendly. If you are a small shop owner, you receive lots of articles and resources that Etsy provides to help you succeed in your business.

Wendy Smullin Logan, UT

I have bought and sold items through Etsy. The platform makes both sides of the transaction flawless and easy. They have fantastic security systems in place that protect the information shared during these transactions, making the buyer and seller feel confident. On the selling side, Etsy has developed a strong e-commerce situation. If you are looking to open a shop, Etsy is the place to do it. Their stores are easy to open and run. The support is phenomenal.

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

Etsy is a very awesome site to buy unique items crafted by unique people. I have known people who sell on Etsy and they say it is a great way to increase their business. I have always been impressed with everything I have bought off Etsy and it ships in a reasonable time-frame. The user interface on their website is easy to use and has made improvements in the past few years.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I love that Etsy helps small business have exposure to a wide audience. I find unique gifts and options on Etsy. I have had good experiences with the companies I have purchased from. I have found 1 of a kind prints, invitations, jewelry, handmade items,etc. Each vendor I have worked with has has had good customer service and timely shipping. I have been very pleased with the products offered on Etsy.

Juan vega New Haven, CT

The worst customer service experience I’ve ever had I purchased some shoes on this website I never received my order however the company told me that I had to wait 2 months after 2 months never got the order try to contact customer service and it was really bad I don’t recommend anyone to buy anything from them

Lisa Wyatt O'Fallon, MO

I've face masks and shirts off of Etsy before. The items always came in great condition and almost what I ordered. I ordered a tee shirt once in honor of my son. When the shirt arrived she spelled his name wrong. Otherwise they'd be getting a 5 star.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

Etsy is very easy to use. They offer lots of options and it is one of my favorites from the software industry. Their customer service team is phenomenal as well and extremely patient. Highly recommend!

Amanda Montebello, CA

I have purchased a few items off Etsy. The customer service is great and offer fast replies. Also, the online platform I easy to use and offers a variety of tools to find the right product.

Matthew Hall Moselle, MS

This is a wonderful platform to build a business on. Starting out I had a few customers every now and then. I did so well on Etsy I was able to set up 5 locations across the East Coast.

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

The Etsy app and software is super easy and user friendly! I've been helping my mom set up her shop and it's been so much easier than I thought it would be and the support they give is also great if you aren't super knowledgeable about cart systems. I see why it's so popular!

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

I love Etsy because it allows a lot of people to promote their creativity! There are limitless amounts of options! I like the system that they have for us consumers to buy or return. I have been buying things there for years! Very diffuser, reliable, and unique!

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Etsy is a wonderful online platform to sell ideas and craft merchandise. It has allowed me to explore new activities with crafts as there are hundreds of ideas to try. They also have tons of items to buy from trusted sellers. I like that marketplace very much as it's inventive, unique, and pretty reasonable price wise.

Asia Bui Gulfport, MS

It is so easy to add an item to your seller list with the Etsy app. Each category or question that needs to be answered is very easy to access and complete, unlike other company seller apps that make it difficult to view what needs to be completed and that you have completed that category. Etsy is the absolute BEST!

Kathryn American Fork, UT

Etsy is a wonderful way to start a small craft business. I have loved having my Etsy, and am really enjoying the partnership with square that links straight to my shop. So I can take orders anywhere I go and it updates my inventory on Etsy!

Rilynne Edwards Pleasant Grove, UT

Etsy is a great place to find custom items. I've always had a great experience shopping on Etsy. I once had a package say it was delivered when it hadn't arrived. The seller worked with me to find my package and get it to me. Overall, it's a very positive experience.

Marianne Parsons Provo, UT

A lovely website business that has a wide variety of wares - most of which are nice. The only downside is that some sellers spam the search engine (ie: looking for one product gives several pages worth of one seller’s products which only loosely fit the definition (not necessarily a bad thing)). The ease of communication with the sellers is quite nice.

Craig Orem, UT

My wife uses Etsy both to sell her personal like of jewelry and also to shop for other items. She can't speak any more highly of Etsy. They have really lead the way in the space and if you are interested in selling personal crafts, this is the place for you!

Dean Ogden, UT

I can't say enough good things about Etsy. I have been able to turn one of my favorite hobbies into something that brings a small additional income to my family. This wouldn't have been possible without Etsy. When I'm not selling my own products I find myself supporting other people doing the same thing as me.

Jennifer Ogden, UT

If you haven't used Etsy, YOU NEED TO! Etsy have given me the ability to get my products out to the public when I don't know how I would have been able to otherwise. Buying and selling on Etsy is simple. Customer service is next to none. If you hand make products Etsy is the place for you!

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

Etsy has made a name for itself and I have used it to sell my handmade one of a kind necklaces and have had great success. Etsy is a global marketplace and they are there to help you sell your products. You won't go wrong! Try it out today.

Abby Driggs Provo, UT

Love the unique design templates they offer for creating websites. I created a blog with a template I bought from Etsy and it was easy to manage and looked like I had professionally gotten it done. I’ve had a lot of comments of how good my blog looks and I owe it to the designer of my Etsy template.

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton Alpine, UT

Love this site and all the options available. It is easy to use and provides lots of options in sales. I was sent my purchase quickly and the quality was fantastic. I ended up ordering more for another gift. The eCommerce division was also great to work with. Software is easy to use.

Ashley Ulibarri Herriman, UT

Etsy makes it so easy to set up a sellers account and to start selling. They offer so much information in order to help you be successful and I love being part of a marketplace that has built in marketing, the only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because I do feel the transaction fees are a bit high.

Sarah Yi Gaithersburg, MD

A wonderful place to find handmade items you will not be able to find at the mall. I've ordered bracelets, necklaces, and clothing--all have such a unique touch that can not be recreated!

Jesse Rice Long Beach, MS

This company allows me to venture into different locations for growth with my product and services. It allows me to have full targeting abilities to reach my consumers more concisely. I wish that I started with Etsy.

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

I used Etsy to order customized clothing. The website was easy to use and very accessible. There is a great system in place to help customers contact the providers and vendors.

Kimmi Riverton, UT

I have found some really great things on this site. I find it hard to search for items I'm looking for. I'm not sure if that is the sellers listing issue or the search feature. It is a great place for someone to start out selling their items.

Kaydence Bonino Riverton, UT

I love how Etsy provides a place for creative people to sell products. I've been able to find some really cute things on Etsy. Super fun store and a perfect place for a small business owner!

Jon Scoresby Saratoga Springs, UT

Sometimes the filters seem to not work very intuitively. But the functions of buying items online, communicating with sellers online, and leaving feedback have all improved over time. It's a great option for finding unique gifts as an eCommerce option.

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

I LOVE Etsy! I've sold on Etsy and I've bought on Etsy. It is a great platform and provides a great service/product to consumers and creators. I've never had any issue receiving orders or posting my own product.

Lindsey A Brown Lehi, UT

Etsy's backend software is very easy to use. Makes managing inventory quite simple. I also love the easiness to be able to add and remove products and fulfill orders. Runs fairly smooth and without any major hiccups.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I like how organized my business feels when I use Etsy to manage my inventory and process my payments.

Jadon Barre Dallas, TX

Etsy is great place to sell my hand made rings. It’s an easy to navigate website and I’ve expanded my craft to a large community of buyers.