Etsy

Etsy Logo

Etsy

Unlimited product listings.

Etsy was originally launched in 2005 by a small company known as iospace. The name of the platform was carefully picked because the executives wanted a "nonsense word that could be built into a brand from scratch." Etsy garnered attention within its first year due to the added tools and functionality that allowed business owners to see improved traffic and exposure. After seeing tremendous growth and rapid revenue and sales increases, Etsy finally went public in April of 2015. Today, Etsy is valued at $1.8 billion. Etsy is designed to help both sellers and buyers, allowing business owners to connect with their niche markets.

View Best eCommerce Software Companies

The Good

• Business Management Tools
  • Hassle-Free Shipping
  • Seamless Payments
  • Search Features
  • Additional Features

Etsy provides a number of tools and services to those who use its platform to sell goods. There are no monthly packages as Etsy charges a flat rate per listing. That means anyone who decides to open a store on Etsy will receive the same tools and resources without having to pay for a premier package (which is common practice in the e-commerce world).

Business Management Tools

While simple, Etsy has created a number of tools and provides resources to maximize exposure and traffic based on targeted searches by prospective buyers. These tools increase flexibility and potential to maximize profits. Resources include the following:

• Business management from anywhere: Etsy has the "Sell on Etsy" app which allows business owners to manage orders, update items, and respond to customers from mobile devices.
  • Promotional tools: Whether it is through social media or other forms of exposure, Etsy provides sellers with the ability to promote their listing to drive and even increase traffic.

Hassle-Free Shipping

Sellers do not need to worry about the logistics of shipping because shipping labels can be printed directly from Etsy. Sellers who use Etsy also receive discounted pricing on USPS postage.

Seamless Payments

Etsy takes care of all payment processing so the seller does not have to worry about it.

Search Features

Etsy isn't just for those looking to host an online shopping cart. It has created a platform that is easy for consumers to navigate and purchase products. Consumers can search the entire e-commerce platform and browse through various categories and products to find exactly what they are looking for at a price they are willing to pay. Not only does Etsy come with descriptive categories, consumers can also use advanced search options to narrow results and cut down on browsing time. Each category also comes with sub-categories to provide a more targeted shopping experience.

Additional Features

Etsy also offers order and negative feedback management, which can help a lot in the marketplace if a problem arises. It also leaves the ability to leave a review, for a customer to express their opinion. The general idea of these features seemed to be based on feedback from merchants, to improve the website.

The Bad

• Fees
  • Privacy
  • Third Parties

Just like any other e-commerce platform, there are some areas that could be improved.

Fees

There are additional fees that come with selling on Etsy. After a "store" is created by business owners, it will cost them $0.20 per listing. There are no limits to these listings, but the seller will need to cover listing costs. This listing will remain on the market for four months or until the item is sold. After the four months is up, the seller will need to pay for the listing again. Etsy costs include the following:

• Transaction fees - 3.5 percent transaction fee on the sale price
  • Shipping costs - to be covered by buyer or seller
  • Quarterly listing costs - 20 cents

Privacy

Users have expressed concerns regarding their privacy. In late 2013, Etsy created a feature that allowed users' buying and selling histories to be searched which traced transactions. This meant that Etsy users were now connected to others who had similar buying or selling histories. However, this feature was automatic and no permission was/is obtained by the user.

Third Parties

Customers who purchase products on Etsy should also be aware that sellers are now able to use third parties and factories. That also means that products can be drop shipped directly from manufacturers and no longer go through the seller. This can be deceiving since Etsy is known for being a platform for selling handmade products.

The Bottom Line

Etsy was originally designed to help people sell their homemade products, functioning as a side business. However, it has grown to the point where some business owners strictly conduct all of their business online through the Etsy platform. Benefits of using Etsy as an e-commerce platform include the following:

• No monthly payments
  • Secure and seamless transactions
  • Automatic deposits
  • Seller protection

Reese
May 17th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Etsy to sell and buy vintage, custom items. It also has access to other shops and was easy to fine that One-of-a-kind item for everyday moments.

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

My wife uses Etsy both to sell her personal like of jewelry and also to shop for other items. She can't speak any more highly of Etsy. They have really lead the way in the space and if you are interested in selling personal crafts, this is the place for you!

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I can't say enough good things about Etsy. I have been able to turn one of my favorite hobbies into something that brings a small additional income to my family. This wouldn't have been possible without Etsy. When I'm not selling my own products I find myself supporting other people doing the same thing as me.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

If you haven't used Etsy, YOU NEED TO! Etsy have given me the ability to get my products out to the public when I don't know how I would have been able to otherwise. Buying and selling on Etsy is simple. Customer service is next to none. If you hand make products Etsy is the place for you!

Ashley
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Etsy has made a name for itself and I have used it to sell my handmade one of a kind necklaces and have had great success. Etsy is a global marketplace and they are there to help you sell your products. You won't go wrong! Try it out today.

Abby Driggs
March 29th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Love the unique design templates they offer for creating websites. I created a blog with a template I bought from Etsy and it was easy to manage and looked like I had professionally gotten it done. I’ve had a lot of comments of how good my blog looks and I owe it to the designer of my Etsy template.

Jada Scott
February 13th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I use Etsy to sell my hair accessories and it's a great way to reach an audience who is looking for unique, handcrafted items. It takes work to develop a following but it's definitely worth it.

Lindsey A Brown
February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Etsy's backend software is very easy to use. Makes managing inventory quite simple. I also love the easiness to be able to add and remove products and fulfill orders. Runs fairly smooth and without any major hiccups.

Hadley heaps
February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

my mom used to use Etsy for a company she was creating. I used it on my moms account too. I helped her model a few of her products. I love that you can see lots of peoples ideas and creations on there.

Annie Orr
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love using Etsy to sell my products. It is so easy to manage my products and inventory!

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton
December 11th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Love this site and all the options available. It is easy to use and provides lots of options in sales. I was sent my purchase quickly and the quality was fantastic. I ended up ordering more for another gift. The eCommerce division was also great to work with. Software is easy to use.

Erin
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

a really easy and helpful way to get a site set up for your business. simple to use and gets you to connect with your customers better

Kristen Schow
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have a shop on Etsy! And it is so much fun. I love the company let the service love making money!

Lindsey
December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have bought on Etsy, and I also own a small shop on the website. It is extremely user-friendly. If you are a small shop owner, you receive lots of articles and resources that Etsy provides to help you succeed in your business.

sab
August 9th, 2017

shut your shop without notification, opposition copied my whole shop yet they allow these theives to sell while my shop was shut down even after proof and snap shots of everything. My business was started three years before the opposition decided to download my whole page yet I was told my items dont comply with handmade even though all my items are handmade from start to finish. And the people that copied my page continue to sell funny how their items which are my items are compliant. They wont listen , dont listen and dont care

Sandra Dubas
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I use Etsy for a few different things. I have my own business on Etsy and I also buy items from Etsy as well. Their website and their app is really simple and really easy to use. Posting items on Etsy is a simple process.

Maile Curtis
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Etsy is great! I bought many things and sold many things in this website. The mobile app is functional and user-friendly!