DARA Thailand Logo
DARA, which stands for Drug and Alcochol Rehab Asia, is committed to providing an affordable, drug and alcohol treatment program in a Thai tropical island paradise. DARA has two locations in Thailand in the cities of Chanthaburi and Koh Chang, both of which are considered 'rehab resorts' in combining the tranquil setting with cognitive behavioral therapy, components of the 12-step philosophy, and SMART Recovery methods. DARA believes in a holistic approach and provides its clients with a long list of amenities.

Caron Treatment Centers Logo
Caron Treatment Centers chevron_right
0.0
Menninger Clinic Logo
Menninger Clinic chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Free confidential assessment
  • Affordable solutions
  • Comprehensive program
  • Numerous amenities

Free Confidential Assessment

Among the many benefits of selecting DARA as a drug treatment center, one is that it provides a free confidential assessment to all prospective clients. In fact, there are toll-free numbers that will connect you with DARA's customer service representatives 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. DARA's admissions counselors are available by telephone, email, or even Skype to further discuss program inclusions and corresponding fees.

Affordable Solutions

DARA claims to be one of the world's most affordable, luxury treatment facilities. It states that many clients find it more cost-effective to fly to Thailand for its 4-week program rather than to seek treatment in their own countries. The 4-week program is subsidized by the founders of DARA taking it from $15,000 to $6,995. This would be an extremely inexpensive luxury vacation, let alone one where you receive addiction treatment as well. This feature makes DARA a compelling option regardless of your current location.

Comprehensive Program

The addiction treatment program at DARA Thailand includes individual counseling, educational workshops, stress management, and group sessions, along with relapse awareness groups. Dara combines therapy with fun through the additional features it offers. The program also takes a holistic approach and provides meditation, group fitness training, art therapy, group sports, water sports, massages, and excursions.

Numerous Amenities

Unlike other drug treatment facilities, DARA allows the use of cell phones, iPads and other technological devices, except during counseling sessions and classes. Other center facilities and amenities include a 20 meter pool, tennis court, badminton court, theatre room, free Wi-Fi, meditation center, gym, computer stations, open-air dining and more. The centers also offer weekend excursions to tropical forests, waterfalls, fishing villages, and beaches.

The Bad

• Limited pricing online
  • Few insurances accepted
  • Location

Limited Pricing Online

DARA shares its pricing for its 4-week treatment program which starts at $6,995 per person. For more luxurious accommodations, for the same length of time will cost you $13,990. Pricing for the 8-week and 12-week treatment programs are not listed on the company's website. If you'd like to learn more about the longer lengths of stay, then you will need to contact the company directly.

Few Insurances Accepted

While DARA does accept insurance, it is considered an in-network provider for five insurance companies listed on its website. Those insurance companies include, AXA, Cigna, GeoBlue, HTH Worldwide, and International SOS. This may be a downside if your insurance company is not one of the listed. Keep in mind that the DARA rehab program is already fairly affordable without insurance, compared to other treatment facilities of the same standard.

Location

If you are looking for an exotic escape and don't mind traveling to Thailand, then DARA could be a really great option for you. However, if you are concerned being away from loved ones and the potentially lengthier travel times, this is something to consider when evaluating DARA's treatment centers.

The Bottom Line

DARA Thailand provides a tranquil option for those seeking a drug or alcohol treatment program. Although based in Thailand, DARA accommodates English speaking clients and boasts a 92 percent completion rate. While amenity-rich, it is an affordable rehabilitation option. If you don't mind traveling to Thailand, then DARA should meet your drug treatment needs. However, if you're hoping to receive insurance coverage, DARA only accepts insurance from five insurance companies.

3.8

Ryan Wilmington, DE

I don't understand the negative reviews. When I was at DARA the only people that complained were those who expected to be spoon fed their recovery – which begins with the addict, not the counsellor. I had an incredible experience and found the staff fantastic. They treat you like an adult and expect you to behave in kind. I tried to explain my time in rehab But they won't know, know, know… When I got back, I said it was whack But they say so, so, so They don't get the time, Not like the new friends of mine… I tried to explain my time in rehab But they won't know, know, know I'd rather be at process But I ain't got another 28 days And there's nothing I can teach them They need Nadine, Luke and Ray…. I didn't always get to class But I learnt joy don't come in a shot glass My friends said “do you think you're different back here?” I said “I got no idea, I don't wanna, wanna lose my sanity So I always keep my note book near” They said “I just think you're depressed” ‘Dis Nadine “yeah baby, and the rest.” I don't ever want to drink again And I sure, sure do miss my friends And while we spent those weeks Don't expect everyone to assume you're on the mend But now I have my pride I know who I am inside I tried to explain my time in rehab But they won't know, know, know… When I got back, I said it was whack But they say so, so, so They don't get the time, Not like the new friends of mine… I tried to explain my time in rehab But they won't know, know, know