Cottonage is based in Fountain Valley, California, and was established in 2004 as a way to provide hospitality and product promotion items at a wholesale price. Cottonage has a large inventory of towels, bathrobes, slippers, bags and other apparel.
Cottonage’s hallmark is customer service and customer care. The company is able to ship items to customers the same day orders take place. This speedy rate of service puts Cottonage at the top of the industry in efficiency and promptness with delivery.
Customers can order from Cottonage’s online catalog, which is vast and regularly updated. You never have to worry that items listed are out of stock or out of date. The company prides itself in being current and having a vast inventory.
There is no minimum for orders, and Cottonage will ship anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. Cottonage takes the hassle out of shopping, as the company has all the products in its own warehouse, so there’s no dealing with additional suppliers or other parties to bog down your order.
As a dropshipper, you can resell items with Cottonage, provided you have a Tax ID number.
Number of Products
With the dot com boom, online shopping and selling has become enormously popular. People love e-commerce due to its speed and convenience; eliminating the hassle of shopping in busy stores amid crowds of people is increasingly appealing. Plus, shopping online often affords better selection and variety. Doing business with Cottonage has several advantages. Here are some pluses you’ll find at Cottonage:
- Excellent quality of products. People love the products at Cottonage. The towels are plush and soft; the bathrobes are comfortable. If you are looking to resell these types of items, along with slippers and other similar apparel, you will definitely have a customer base, and that customer base is assured to have high-quality products. The apparel is also lightweight and comes in a variety of sizes that will fit just about anyone. The towels and bathrobes absorb water well without being cumbersome and weighed-down.
- Packaging. The apparel and goods come neatly and nicely packaged. When customers remove the clothing and items, they aren’t wrinkled and messy. You receive your items looking as though you have just purchased them from a store down the road and don’t get the feeling at all that they have been sitting in a warehouse.
- Shipping speed. When you resell items, the buyer will be amazed with the lightning-fast delivery speed. In fact, 90% of all items will be shipped the day of the order. You don’t find this type of commitment and precision every day.
- Embroidery service. Buyers can elect to have their towels or bathrobes embroidered, if desired. This will increase delivery time, however.
- Payment options. Buyers have a number of payment options for their items. Cottonage allows payments via check, major credit card, and PayPal. Buyers will receive e-mail confirmation when payment is approved.
- Blind shipping. As a dropshipper, Cottonage uses blind shipping, where it will ship an item to the recipient without a packing slip, invoice and company name.
- Customer service. Cottonage provides excellent, dedicated customer service to buyers and to those using the dropshipping service. Any questions or concerns are answered in a timely fashion by knowledgeable, friendly staff.
- Free shipping is available on orders over $250. Orders below that amount are shipped at a flat rate of just $9.99.
While Cottonage does provide high-quality products and other nice benefits listed above, there are a number of negative aspects to consider when doing business with Cottonage. Here are some things to be concerned with and to consider when deciding whether to resell products through Cottonage.
- Cottonage is more geared toward the buyer. If you simply want to buy nice towels, bathrobes, sandals or similar clothing or apparel, Cottonage is a wonderful place to go. But if you are interested in started a business through the ever-growing method of dropshipping, Cottonage probably isn’t your best bet. This is because Cottonage simply is more suited to the buyer than to the seller. For the buyer, the process is simple and straightforward. But for the reseller who wants to list Cottonage items, the process is not as clear or easy.
- Not as easy to become a reseller. Other dropship companies make it easy for anyone to list available items on their own site or on eBay or Amazon. But with Cottonage, you have to have a Tax ID number, plus you have to go through an application process. If approved, you will be contacted by a customer service agent at which time you will then have access to the dropship side of the Cottonage site. The entire process can be frustrating and long.
- Lack of tools. As a reseller using Cottonage’s dropshipping services, you simply don’t have access to the same range of tools competitors have. The selling tools are few and far between, and there is no shopping cart integration. You can simply pull from Cottonage’s inventory and list on your site, but there are no alerts that inventory is running low.
- Shipping range. Cottonage does not ship internationally. Orders can be sent anywhere in the U.S. and to Canada and Puerto Rico, but nowhere beyond. Also, orders sent to Canada take longer to ship, sometimes up to seven days.
- Prices change. For buyers of the products you are reselling, there might be some surprise over changing prices. A prospective buyer might see an item one day and then the next notice that the price has gone up. The company will make no guarantees that prices will stay the same. While this isn’t unusual, it is indeed frustrating.
The Bottom Line
Cottonage does certainly carry some great products that people love, and potentially, reselling the items could lead to success and the development of a lucrative business.
However, Cottonage simply doesn’t offer the tools necessary to help along your way. The likelihood you will have a great deal of success reselling is much less with Cottonage. Plus, the process of become involved with the dropshipping side of the company involves a host of steps that competitors don’t require.
The question is whether you are willing to go through the frustrating process of being aligned with a company that offers few support tools to your business. Most people wouldn’t be. And though the products you would resell are loved and highly rated, getting started and getting the support you need is far more difficult than it is with some of the top dropshipping companies.
Certainly, you will be happier going with another dropshipping company than you will with Cottonage.