Founded in 2009, NameSilo advertises the lowest domain name prices in the industry. They focus strictly on domain registry and reselling domains. By utilizing in-house designed backend tools, NameSilo does not depend upon third party tools to manage domain names. An added benefit of using its own backend system is that domain transfers and registrations are not bungled- a rare problem throughout the industry of domain registry. NameSilo is truly an innovator in the field when it comes to keeping overhead operating cost low.

The Good

Price

Customers wanting to buy and register a .com domain name will be charged $8.99/year. This price is lower than the average going rate for .com domains, which typically runs between $11.99 and $16.99 per year. It also is cost-effective due to the free benefits that are covered in the domain name purchase. Another unique selling point that makes NameSilo competitive is that their annual fees do not increase after the first month. There are a lot of domain name companies who advertise for a lower price but lock in the customer at a higher price after the first year renewal.

NameSilo is one of the few domain companies that offer an array of alternate convenient payment options in addition to all major credit cards. These include: Paypal, Skrill, Dwolla, AllPay and BitCoin. (Most companies offer credit card payment options only). This makes it much easier for the millions of app customers who can buy a domain using these popular apps.

Other TLD Prices

NameSilo charges higher fees for alternate Top-Level Domain names like .org, .net, .co, .info and .biz, ranging from $2.89 for a .club extension to $22.69 for a .co extension. Those are the extreme pricing on both ends of the spectrum, with the most common TLDs being $9.89 to $9.99/year. Compared to most domain companies, these prices are low. Some alternate domains run for $13.99 and higher.

Number of TLDs Available

Namesilo offers customers a wide array of domain names to purchase where customers can buy up to 500 domain names. Some companies only offer less than 100 TLDs or several hundred domain names while a few offer over 500, leaving NameSilo near the top of the industry.

ICANN Fees

NameSilo, like all domain registrars, is required to pay an annual 18 cent ICANN fee. They inform customers during the checkout process that the ICANN fee is included in the customer’s annual advertised price. Although most companies pass this cost onto the customer, NameSilo is better than some companies that don’t inform customers about the fee at all or add the 18 cents onto the buying price of the domain at the final checkout page, which can put off some customers, since the final price is slightly more than what they thought it would be.

Bulk Price

Customers wanting to conduct bulk purchasing will be pleased to find that NameSilo allows you to purchase up to 500 domain names in a single purchase. Some companies either don’t have that many domains available or they don’t allow you to purchase that many at once. Some companies offer a pyramid structure of bulk pricing, which gives a discount such as 10% off the price for 100 domain names, 20% off for 200 domain names, etc. NameSilo offers customers a discount program instead.

NameSilo’s discount program offers customers, regardless of how many domains they have registered, free membership. This program allows domain name owners to get discounts on new domain names and has no fees. This is a strong customer-oriented incentive to do business with NameSilo. A discount program is rare among domain registrars, which puts NameSilo ahead of the pack in this area.

Security Features

NameSilo offers free lifetime WHOIS Privacy protection with the purchase of each domain name. This is highly competitive and affordable compared to many companies who charge customers an additional fee for WHOIS privacy for each domain, typically $9.99/year.

They also offer free Domain Locking to prevent someone from stealing your domain and moving it to another registrar. All NameSilo domains are registered automatically in ‘Locked’ status.

Another unique, free protection service NameSilo offers customers is called Domain Defender. Domain Defender provides increased levels of security for your account and protection of your domains using 2 security questions users must answer in order to access and manage the domain name.

Cross Selling

NameSilo prides itself on having zero service upsells during the checkout process. This is unique for a domain name company. The average amount of upsells range between 2 and 5 upsells for additional services and/or products. Some even have aggressive upselling techniques, making consumers go through several additional screens of sales pitches in order to buy a domain name. NameSilo customers have no additional offers to maneuver when making a purchase.

ICANN Accreditation

The Bad

Mobile App

NameSilo does not offer a mobile app that lets customers manage their domains from a smart device. This makes them inferior to the few companies who offer a mobile app for iOS and Android. NameSilo does, however, let customers link their domain name with Google Apps. This will allow for some mobile functionality.

Simple Domain-Transfer Policies

Customers wanting to transfer their domains away from NameSilo will find information buried deep in the Support Home section. Most companies offer transfer instructions within their ‘knowledge base’ pages. Registrars in general have a terrible reputation for holding names hostage, making it difficult to switch registrars if you become dissatisfied. Some charge exorbitant fees or create delays to avoid losing business. NameSilo does not do this, but by means of ‘omission’ of external transfer instructions, they “discourage” customers from moving their domains elsewhere.

The Bottom Line

NameSilo lives up to its claim for being the cheapest domain name prices in the industry (at least one of the very cheapest). They are also one of the few domain registrars that offer free WHOIS Domain privacy with every new domain name—along with other free protection features other companies charge extra for. Customers will be pleased to find there are no upsells or added fees during the checkout process. On the other hand, Customers may not like the lack of phone support in case they have an issue or not having an app to use to manage their domains from a mobile device. Currently, NameSilo is ICANN accredited.

Price

NameSilo offers some of the most affordable domain registry listings in the industry. We found that, for the standard domain names, clients could get a .com, .net, .org, or .info domain name for the following prices:

• $8.99/year for a .com domain.
  • $8.69/year for a .net domain.
  • $9.19/year for a .org domain.
  • $9.59/year for a .info domain.

For bulk pricing, NameSilo offers discount rates for the price of each individual domain purchased in a bulk order.

Additional Services Prices

• Free lifetime WhoIs privacy.
  • Free Domain Defender to protect the website.
  • Domain Parking where clients earn 100% of the revenues earned off of a parked domain.
  • Domain management for easy DNS.
  • Custom WhoIs records.

Hosting Offered

NameSilo does not offer any type of hosting services. They only offer domain registration, focusing their resources on providing low prices for its customers.

Domains Supported

NameSilo supports .com, .co, .net, .info, .org, and multiple other web domain names, offering each at the lowest price allowed.

Accepted Payment Types

NameSilo offers the following payment methods:

• All major credit cards.
  • PayPal
  • BitCoin
  • Skrill
  • Wire Transfer

Support Types

For its low prices, NameSilo offers many different support types. After digging a few levels into their website, we found a very friendly live chat feature. They also offer phone support and email support.

Additional Features

NameSilo offers several unique features and tools to help domain registrants and resellers:

• One-click integration of a domain with a popular service, without complicated DNS management tools.
  • An easy-to-use and secure API integration tool to help customers with considerable automation requirements.
  • A domain history tool to track changes that are made to each domain.
  • Professional domain names that are appropriate for different businesses and services.
  • Free domain parking, allowing domain holders to keep 100% of the revenue earned from a parked domain.

X close
X close

22 NameSilo Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

November 30th, 2016

I just emailed and spoke with the rudest most unhelpful customer service rep in the world. His name is Eric and I will never refer a client to your service. And the client I have with your service is transferring to Go Daddy.

2. User Score

November 29th, 2016 Azle, TX

I recently had a major problem with my email, it wasn’t functioning. I needed to change my IP address but couldn’t access my domains because I forgot the passwords to allow me to reconfigure my account. As a safeguard NameSilo, in order to prevent unauthorized access to your account, requires you to answer one to five questions to establish your authenticity. Like a dummy I selected all five when I was setting up this defense and promptly forgot what the answers were. The answers are encrypted and if you forgot just one answer you wouldn’t get access. I had to verify who I was and I couldn’t do it through email since that was the problem I was trying to fix. Joe Barnhill came to my rescue. He suggested that I take a screen shot/picture of my credit card charge from the last payment I made for my domain names. He allowed me to send the information to his personal phone so that he could verify who I was and that allowed him to eliminate the access questions. I made the changes and my email is back up and running. Now that my friends is going above and beyond the cause of duty. Thank you Joe and thank you NameSilo for having people like Joe in your employ!
    Have a Blessed Christmas!

3. User Score

October 31st, 2016 Scottsdale, AZ

So far NameSilo has exceeded my expectations. I have used several registrars over the years and NameSilo is the best I have used to date. Their pricing is so good that I no longer have to worry about hunting for coupon codes or waiting for specials like I used to. Call me paranoid, but one of my main concerns with registrars is security – my domains are very valuable to me and I treat them accordingly – NameSilo’s support for 2FA along with their domain defender service (which is included for free) appeal to me – I feel as if my domains are in a secure place. Their interface is simple and fast and allows me to make any changes I need quickly. You would think that all registrars would offer security and a simple interface – but that is simply not the case in my experience.

4. User Score

October 19th, 2016

If you have a domain that is close to expire they don’t warn you like all other domain sellers. They used to do this in the past but now is not warning owners. On their own words: “… it is your responsibility to renew your domains on time. …”.

1 2

5. User Score

September 23rd, 2016 Ormond Beach, FL

I’ve been with NameSilo for years, and I could never say enough good about them!

To keep it short and sweet, here are three BIG reasons I won’t be going back to the competition any time in the foreseeable future:
    – Regular pricing as low as it comes, with great affiliate and bulk purchase programs to sweeten the pot!
    – WHOIS privacy is FREE! Many competitors charge an arm and a leg to protect your personal information. NameSilo even accepts Bitcoin as payment!
    – Unparallelled account and domain management features and flexibility – even tools for business owners to manage large or rapidly-changing domain portfolios!

And there’s plenty else worth mentioning! Without getting into detail:
    – Quick and easy to get started – takes just minutes!
    – Speedy customer support with reasonable hours
    – Ample online help and FAQs
    – Top-notch account security, including 2FA
    – Domain marketplace/auction tools
    – Fine-grained control of everything when needed
    – Reloadable account balance for painless registrations/renewals

Make the switch! You won’t be disappointed!

6. User Score

September 19th, 2016 Charles Town, WV

I have used NameSilo for several years. Previous registrars were Verio, Network Solutions, GoDaddy, iPage, 1&1, A2Hosting and InMotion. In my opinion, NameSilo takes the cake hands down.

Specifically the purchase process is easy to understand, NO UPSALES, the prices are transparent and stable, the interface is BUG FREE and there are great complimentary features such as vanity name servers, using them to host your DNS settings, domain security, FREE DOMAIN PRIVACY and many other features. Many other domain providers are not transparent during the transfer stages. NameSilo is very transparent showing the entire process of transferring a domain name and when you can action something to speed it up. Several of my domains literally took minutes to transfer. New domain purchases are immediate with no wait time. Understanding it has alot to do with your choice of client side DNS server choice, my DNS changes are very quick with NameSilo.

Downside is there is no phone support BUT I have used their internet chat after hours with great success with someone who understood English very well. I also saw some complaints about lack of mobile app but their website is mobile friendly and I am able to perform all actions from my mobile phone as I am able to on a desktop browser.

7. User Score

August 29th, 2016 Wilmington, NC

Great customer service available through chat…simple process and efficient.

8. User Score

August 23rd, 2016 Chicago, IL

I’ve been using namesilo for maybe 4 yrs now. It’s one of the few registrars I actually enjoy logging into because the interface is very simple yet has everything you need to know about your domains right in the same place and furthermore when I make a purchase it’s quick and easy. I used godaddy for about 5 yrs prior, and although I wouldn’t say they’re terrible I never really liked them as I didn’t enjoy having to bounce between multiple slow-loading pages often trying to upsell me in order to simply see the status of the various settings on my domains or the multiple upsell attempts when purchasing domains. I guess almost all companies do that, and there’s nothing wrong w offering more services, but the way godaddy did it was so damn annoying. I also really like namesilo’s pricing structure, simple and inexpensive. In terms of their customer service, I’ve contacted them online a handful of times over the yrs and they’ve always been very responsive and helpful. I believe I once spoke over the phone with someone there…must have went well otherwise I prolly would have remembered it. (I should mention that I never contacted them w any complicated questions or requests, only fairly simple stuff like where can I find something, or how does this work?) Back when I originally signed up I was a little apprehensive as they were obviously much newer then and it’s pretty important to choose wisely when it comes to a registrar, but I’ve never had any regrets. I understand some people are going to have bad experiences and I certainly don’t discount any reviewers that have left negative reviews, as hearing about those experiences helps not only to inform prospective customers but it also clearly broadcasts to the company how people feel, I’m just saying my experience has been very positive.

9. User Score

July 29th, 2016 Oakland, CA

I’ve tried ’em all and namesilo is the best of all worlds… great pricing, easy interface, excellent security options for account and domains, and customer service that replies fast and from people who know what they’re doing. 10 out of 10!

10. User Score

July 13th, 2016 Charlotte, NC

HORRIBLE COMPANY! I have lots of business with this company through myself and friends but now I am moving it all! This company is rude and opened 1 hour late today! I have been treated rudely by two people now, refusing to let me talk to anyone else even though I am a paying customer. They are refusing to help me even though one of their websites is leaving spam on my website. I was even told I wasn’t important by the second representative, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE TERRORIST, they are bombing my website and pretend like they have absolutely no souls whatsoever.

4 15

11. User Score

May 26th, 2016 Chicago, IL

Everytime I have to contact customer service they are not helpful and send me on a goose chase. Ick. I regret using NameSilo.

7 4

12. User Score

December 19th, 2015 Truckee, CA

Great experience for me as well. I hesitated moving my domains to Namesilo since their prices were so low I figured I would sacrifice service, but they have chat, phone and email support. I tested all 3 since my domains are valuable and to my surprise, someone responded to each attempt in minutes and was able to answer pre-sales and technical questions. I was sold and haven’t regretted moving my entire portfolio. Great prices, free lifetime privacy and great customer service – not sure why anybody goes anywhere else.

13. User Score

October 29th, 2015 Phoenix, AZ

Very good experience here. Prices are awesome, support is responsive and knowledgeable, uptime is good, security is solid.

I have used 5 other registrars before them and all my domains are now at NameSilo – pretty much sums it up for me.

14. User Score

July 26th, 2015 Phoenix, AZ

Namesilo is a breath of fresh air in an industry dominated by poor support, misleading pricing and bad business practices. I have no idea what the person below is talking about by saying their support is rude. I am not the most computer-literate person, but their support is always patient and helpful.

15. User Score

July 8th, 2015 Geuda Springs, KS

They have some of the rudest support staff ever.
    was kind of a shock since i enjoyed their services until i had to tall to support today.

3 2

16. User Score

May 30th, 2015

Auction is Bad, Awful!!!
    all good domain reached the reserve price and you can not bid if it hit the reserve. SO there is very low chance to grab a good domain from namesilo auction event its fair(no internal bidding).

I hope they will change the auction process of bidding if it meet the reserve and people should have chance to bid if the think worthy!

17. User Score

February 22nd, 2015

I moved my domains to NameSilo as well. Best price and service I’ve gotten so far. GoDaddy and NameCheap hit me with their crazy renewal price and I just couldn’t stand for that. Plus, free WHOIS privacy? Come on. No one likes spam. And I don’t like having to maintain a separate email address to register the domains I use for personal projects either.

18. User Score

February 3rd, 2015 Bloomington, IL

I’ve used many domain registrars over the years – GoDaddy, 1and1, NetworkSolutions, Yahoo, NameCheap etc. You get a good deal for the first year and then they slam you on the renewal – you know how it works. I got tired of the dance to move around my domains just to avoid ridiculous renewal fees. And then I found NameSilo – and they do only domain registrations, so no upsell about hosting or email or whatever. Half my domains are with NameSilo now and the other half will be with them soon. Same price for registration and renewals, no surprises. The FREE WhoIs privacy is the icing on top. The interface is clean, simple and easy to work with. Overall, I think NameSilo is the best registrar around. I highly recommend them to all my business associates.

19. User Score

December 19th, 2014 Phoenix, AZ

I took over managing domains for my company after a promotion. All 200+ of the domains were at NameSilo. I had always used Namecheap so I intended to transfer the domains there since it is what I was used to. However, after seeing how easy it was to unlock and get the EPP codes to transfer, I decided to give NameSilo a chance. I was blown away that this company existed and I never heard of them! Their pricing and overall approach has led me to keep the company domains put and even to transfer my personal portfolio to NameSilo as well. If I had to nitpick and find a complaint, I’d really like them to support more cc/gTLDS so I didn’t have to keep domains at a different company since I’d rather consolidate at just one place.

20. User Score

November 7th, 2014 Scottsdale, AZ

I’ve been using domain registrars since back when Network Solutions was the only option. I have accounts at many current registrars. My favorite discount registrar is NameSilo. The main reasons I like them: 1) the only time I ever spoke with their support, I got someone who actually knew what he was doing 2) good interface for managing lots of domains 3) no constant upselling and their pricing is very straightforward (they do not kill you on renewal rates either like all the big registrars) 4) they have very low prices and I like to get a good deal.