IWantMyName is a service provider based in New Zealand that focuses solely on domain name management. The company was founded in 2008 by former employees from several ICANN accredited domain registrars. They offer domain registration and DNS hosting. The company’s mission is to simplify the process of buying and managing domains while offering full transparency, what they call “Domain Management Ethics”. IWantMyName currently has over 75,000 customers and counting.

NameSilo chevron_right
3.5
GoDaddy chevron_right
3.9
Name.com chevron_right
1.2
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• Price
  • Number of TLDs available
  • ICANN fees
  • Security features
  • Cross selling
  • Simple domain transfer policies
  • Customer support
Price

If you want to register a .com domain, IWantMyName charges $14.90/year. All domain names are billed automatically every year until you cancel your service. There are no setup costs, which really stands out among domain registrars. The .com price is competitive, being in line with what the biggest domain name brands in the industry charge, which typically falls somewhere between $13.00-$15.00. Also positive is the fact that the yearly .com fee is not introductory as some companies offer only for the first year. After that, their fees skyrocket to over $30.00 or more. IWantMyName's .com fee is fixed, so what you pay this year, you can also expect to pay next year.

Number of TLDs Available

IWantMyName is way ahead of the competition when it comes to the number of domain names available. Many companies only offer up to 10-50 Top Level Domains to choose from. With IWantMyName, you can purchase hundreds of international domain extensions and have them connect your web address to web apps and services from all around the Internet. Currently, they offer 500+ newly released Top Level Domains, the most on the market. Some of these domains have not been launched yet, but IWantMyName lets customers register or pre-order your domain.

ICANN Fees

Every domain name registrar has to pay an annual 18 cent fee to ICANN for each domain name registered through them. Although the fee is only 18 cents, it does change the advertised price and puts off some consumers and reviewers. While most domain name providers include this fee in their advertised cost and other companies didn't mention whether or not they had those fees included with the price through a small print notice at the bottom of their home pages, IWantMyName charges ZERO ($0) ICANN fees or any other hidden charges.

Security Features

IWantMyName offers customers a WHOIS privacy feature, which replaces your personal information with the contact information of the public domain registrar. This is a free service for IWantMyName customers. Most domain companies charge an additional fee (on average between $9.00-$11.00). This puts IWantMyName at a disadvantage. Each underlying domain registry has different WHOIS requirements, they can only enable their WHOIS privacy service with 350 of their select top-level domains (TLDs).

Cross Selling

Cross-Selling with IWantMyName is minimal (1) compared to other sites. Many domain registration companies try to sell you additional services and products during the checkout process. However, due to IWantMyName not charging any additional setup fees or offering web hosting services, checking out is pretty straightforward once you set up an account and input your billing information. They only ask if you want to add more domains once on the checkout page. This is a small link at the bottom of the page, displayed very non-intrusively. Ultimately, what price you start with is the price you end with.

Simple Domain-Transfer Policies

Registrars in general have a terrible reputation for holding names hostage, making it difficult to switch registrars if you become dissatisfied. Some charge exorbitant fees or create delays to avoid losing business. If you are dissatisfied with having a domain registered with IWantMyName, there are several steps you can take to transfer your domain name to another registrar that don't appear to be complicated or overly bureaucratic: initiating the process with the receiving registrar, locating an authorization code or Transfer Auth Code on your dashboard, unlocking your Domain name (if the code is hidden). Some domains cannot be transferred in the first 60 days after registration due to an ICANN / registry policy.

Customer Support

IWantMyName offers a Support Page with common customer questions. You can also email the company, as they offer their email address on their Support page. Unlike the majority of domain registrars, IWantMyName does not offer Live Chat or a Telephone number for customer support. This puts customers who need phone support at a disadvantage.

The Bad

• Other TLD prices
  • Mobile app
  • Bulk price
  • ICANN accreditation
Other TLD Prices

For other Top-Level Domains (TLDs) outside of .com (.net, .co, .org, .info, etc), IWantMyName gets more expensive. The price range is very broad, starting as low as $9.90/year and going up to as much as $149.00/year. The price depends on the particular domain extension you want. For example, a .net domain costs $15.50/year while a .org domain costs $16.30/year. This is less appealing, since other companies offer alternate TLDs at the same price as .com extensions.

One advantage to purchasing a domain name with IWantMyName is the variety of options to choose from. Most companies offer the top 5 popular domains (.net, .co, .org, .info, etc), but IWantMyName offers hundreds of unique extensions such as .ACADEMY, .PHOTOGRAPHY, .BAYERN, .CREDIT and exotic domains like .CRICKET.

The disadvantage to purchasing one of these alternate domain names is that some prices are only for the first year. If you choose to get a .CO domain, for instance, the price for the first year is $17.50(higher than many domain registrar companies already) and goes up to $29.90/year afterwards. The majority of the TLDs are fixed prices, but compared to many companies that offer additional domain extensions for less money (typically $13.00-$15.00) IWantMyName's prices are less competitive.

Mobile App

IWantMyName does not offer a specific app for their own site with iOS or Android, but they do offer 15+ Apps on their website for customers who have purchased a domain name and already have a website host. Some of these apps include services like Big Cartel (one-stop-shop website builder app) and Ghost (blog hosting platform which lets you focus on writing). It gets slightly confusing because IWantMyName only handles domain hosting and you need a website host (like BlueHost or Wordpress) to actually have a site where you can download apps.

Bulk Price

IWantMyName does not offer bulk discounts for customers purchasing multiple domains. For example, some domain registrars offer a discount pyramid, where customers can get discounts on 100 domains = 10% off, 200 domains = 20% off, 300 domains = 30$ off, etc. What is surprising is that IWantMyName does not offer this option, due to the fact that they offer hundreds of domains that can be bulk-purchased.

ICANN Accreditation

The Bottom Line

Customers just wanting domain names will find IWantMyName to be a viable option, since this is the only thing the company specializes in. Prices for a .com domain is on par with the most competitive companies out there as $14.90/year. Prices for other Top Level Domains (.net, .org,etc) are more expensive that most companies offer for these extensions. Ranges start at $9.90/year and go all the way up to as much as $140/year. However, if you're seeking an exotic domain name or a domain name that is very specific to your country or hobby, IWantMyName offers hundreds of domain names that fit this criteria.

1.4

Forensicxlipstick

February 7th, 2020 Bonne Terre, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

0 STARS This company was recommended by Zenfolio to directly connect a domain name. Not only did Iwantmyname.com mess up my domain name by not adding a www. instead www, they charged me TWICE for the same messed up domain name. Their approval is very confusing during the approval of domain name process. Stay away from this company, especially if you go through Zenfolio!

AJ

September 1st, 2019 Inkster, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was introduced to IWMN through an online ad in 2010 and set up an account without issue using a debit card. Made tons of money off ad revenue and traffic. In 2015, I acquired multiple domains for future business purposes and had an account lockout during the beginning of the #NetNeutrality days, in late 2017. I had to confirm my account information (registrant email, payment info, 2FA devices, photo IDs) with different staff and was still unsuccessful in my claims. They were elusive and rude with me about my authenticity because of a WHOIS privacy flaw (re: ADMIN ADMIN) and the credit card used, which was in my uncle's name and home address which I verified as well. Ultimately, they suspended the domains due to lack of non-payment and suggested that I would not even be able to proceed with my own information due to the errors. I have since recovered the domains (except one, a really good one 🙄) through an alternate provider; although they are not listed on IWMN for purchase, they are still available. I also found out about the breach in their systems as well, so my information had already been compromised, as well as my uncle's. For future reference, never use anyone's information or account for your tech purposes, including payments and addressed. This is a field day for inquiries in tech support. This could have been prevented if they would have bypassed a formality or had better authentication factors; instead, they lost a valued customer. Good riddance!

S Myers

June 11th, 2019 Tuscola, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Beware using these guys! Had a domain through them for several years. Opted not to renew in 2018 and in June of 2019 started getting constant calls from Telemarketing companies offering to help set up my domain that I haven’t had in over a year. They got my name from a lead company as a person interested in setting up my newly acquired domain. Ultimately this company sold my information. 37 calls today and counting!!!! Will probably have to change my number I have had for 14 years! Ridiculous!!!

John

March 21st, 2019 San Francisco, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tried to pre-order a domain here. Found out later that they sold it to a domain squatter without even letting me know.

Donnie

January 29th, 2019 Montgomery, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a domain from IWantMyName for a year, after the year was up I did not want to use their horrible service any longer. I do not have my username or password, nor the time to fight through their slow and complicated process to reset that information. I replayed to their email from the email that I set my account up with. They have since been harassing me almost everyday since I do not want to use their product any longer. A joke of a company that harasses people who no longer deal business with them.

Chris Reed

August 10th, 2018 Great Mills, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Garbage. They partbed with Bitly and bitly stats in orde to have a branded short name “your url must be 15 characters or less including the “.” so my domain was 14 plus the dot for 15........im being told that doesnt work because its actually “.com” thats included in the 15 characters. Iwantmyname wont refund or let me change the domain and bitly is not working with me either. Both garbage companies. If its to include the “.com” then make that clear!

Hannah Jones

August 2nd, 2018 Rockmart, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish I could give no stars. This company is less expensive, but at renewal I was not given any notification, so my account was locked and no one can go to my site! When I checked on it I went to their website and found the only way to unlock my site is to pay $69!!!! When I offered to pay it they wanted a copy of my drivers license or passport to verify my identification because my CC # had been changed. Yes, it was changed because someone used this card fraudulently last year so I was issued a new card from my bank. Later I found out that IWantMyName doesn't have secure CC policies - so THEY are probably how my card got used!! They also asked for a copy of my old card! Scanned and emailed to them! How sketchy is THAT! I do a LOT of business online and I have never dealt with a company as sketchy as this! I'm SO upset! Now they are holding my domain hostage!

James Macindoe

October 1st, 2017

Credit card details are stored in a non-secure database by the seller, not with a PCI compliant payment gateway. These details are accessible 'for security/account authorisation purposes' by customer service staff.

Ashok Fernandez

May 11th, 2017

Awesome company, great support and super easy to use.

P. C. McCleock

February 15th, 2017

I really made a huge mistake going with these people. They were marginally cheaper for one year than the big name registrar I normally go with, but I thought I could get ahead and support the little guy at the same time. There's just so much wrong with their website that I don't even know where to begin. You get an organized little section telling you when you're going to be billed next, but you get no hint at how much that bill is going to be, which makes it impossible to trust them in my opinion. I should just skip to my biggest gripe: I wanted to buy my name for multiple years, but they had no way of supporting that. The customer service told me it was because previous customers had a habit of losing their billing method in that time, and apparently I'm just as irresponsible and cannot be allowed to buy something. The CEO himself sends me an E-mail saying he'll set up a way to offer multiple years at once--almost a year later. After the sale ended. My TLD went up from $20/yr to $50/yr. I still find it very hard to believe that's a coincidence. I could've paid hundreds less if I just got the ten year plan I wanted from my usual registrar--of course, the TLD operators ended that sale, so even my main seller is close to the same price. Painless domain management, indeed.

John Doucet

December 12th, 2016

Impossible too cancel... I should have never dealt with them