Launched in 1998, iPage is a web hosting service and domain name registrar for business, personal, social, and non-profit companies that has been operating for almost 20 years. Cornerstones to their brand name include: flexibility, tight website security and extensive spam management for customers’ email accounts. Today, their platform serves 1 million customers.
- Number of TLDs available
- Security features
- Simple domain transfer policies
- Customer support
iPage charges customers $8.99/year for a .com domain name. This price is highly competitive with many domain registrars, who typically charge between $13.00 and $16.00/year. Also unique is iPage's Money-Back Guarantee. If you're not satisfied with iPage, we'll give you your money back, no questions asked during the first 30 days.
Number of TLDs Available
iPage offers a large variety of Top-Level Domains (TLDs) to choose from. While some companies only offer around 100 different TLDs and some offer over 500, iPage falls right in the middle with more than 321 TLDs.
Unlike many sites who offer only one form of privacy protection (typically domain privacy), iPage offers 3 stand-out privacy features for domain and web-hosting customers.
- Domain (WHOIS) privacy costs users $9.99/year. Domain Privacy hides customers' personal contact information in the public WHOIS database. This prevents spamming and issues like identity theft. The annual fee of $9.99 is on par with many popular sites, some even charging as much as $11.00/year, putting iPage at an advantage in this area.
- Domain Validated SSL protection that encrypts data transmitted to and from your website, displaying https in the browser bar, and visually ensures your website's credibility. iPage charges $1.67/mo (billed $19.99 for 12 months) or their regular price of $59.99/year. Some companies offer SSL security for less, typically around $9.99/year.
- Advanced Site Protection and Performance Accelerator, which protects your website from fraud and malware, while speeding up its performance for visitors. It also helps block malicious traffic and scans daily for other harmful threats. They charge $1.66 per month (billed $19.95 for 12 months). This is a competitive fee among many competing domain registrars, who either don't offer this feature at all or charge more per month and/or year.
Simple Domain Transfer Policies
For customers wanting to transfer your domain away from iPage to another domain registrar, there is an 8 step process that is similarly offered by other companies. This process includes:
- Unlocking your domain name
- Disabling the domain privacy application of your domain name
- Ensure valid access to the domain name's email address on record
- Request iPage for its authorization code for domain transfer
- Click the 'send auth-info code' item
- Call your new domain registrar to start the transfer of the domain name to them
iPage, unlike some registrars who have a terrible reputation for holding names hostage, making it difficult to switch registrars if you become dissatisfied, does not make it hard to transfer a domain. This is helped by the company's full 30-day money back guarantee, which demonstrates iPages' flexibility with customers.
If you have questions or need help with your domain registration or maintenance, iPage offers 24/7 customer support via phone, live chat and email. Their phone number is toll free with customer representatives available 24/7, along with a Live Chat feature which acts as an authentic live chat instant messaging window. Some domain registrars "Live Chats" function more like request forms. Some companies fall short regarding this because their phone support is only available for limited hours and/or days.
- Other TLD prices
- ICANN fees
- Bulk price
- Cross selling
- Mobile app
- ICANN accreditation
Other TLD Prices
If customers want additional Top-Level Domains (TLDs) such as .net, .org, .info, etc., they can expect to pay anywhere from $6.98 to $34.95. More commonly used TLDs like .net is $11.99/year and .org for $16.99/year. iPage's other TLDs are more expensive than the .com domain, which falls short compared to sites that offer common alternate TLDs at the same price as the .com TLD.
Regarding ICANN Fees that all domain registrars have to pay for each domain name registered through them, iPage does not disclose this fee (which is typically passed onto the customer) during the checkout process. Although the ICANN fee is only 18 cents, there is a disclosure issue regarding this. Some of iPage's competitors add on ICANN fees at the checkout or reveals this through a small print notice at the bottom of their home pages. iPage does neither. Although the fee is only 18 cents, it does change the advertised price and puts off some consumers and reviewers.
If customers want to purchase domains in bulk, iPage does not advertise a bulk discount. This puts them at a disadvantage when compared to companies that offer bulk discounts. For example, some companies that offer hundreds of domains offer a percentage off if you purchase a certain amount, like 100 domains for 10% off.
iPage averages at about 10 total upsells during the domain checkout process. First, customers are offered domain privacy along with a list of options of other available domain extensions for the name you selected. Next, they require that you set up an account, which instantly takes you to the page full of upsells from top to bottom. These upsells range from adding a hosting plan to add-ons like an SSL Certificate, Wordpress essential and Impress.ly mobile site builder with prices ranging from $1.08/month to $3.00/month.
Some boxes for features such as domain privacy and automated daily backup are checked automatically, so the customer has to be aware of this before completing the purchase. Otherwise, they may find the total price to be more expensive than anticipated. This also means they will get charged automatically at renewal time. Compared to a large number of other domain registrars, this is excessive and puts the company at a disadvantage in this area.
iPage does not have a mobile app in Android or iOS. However, during the checkout process, iPage lets customers add on a feature called Google Apps for Work for $5.00/month. This feature offers a list of mobile services to businesses of all sizes. These mobile features are for professional email, unlimited storage, data integration and mobile device management. These features work for Android, iOS, Windows and other smartphones. Compared to a few companies that offer a mobile app that lets you manage your domains from your smart device, iPage falls short in this regard.