Former USMC veteran Bob Parsons founded GoDaddy in 1997. Specializing in domain registry and reselling, GoDaddy also offers multiple services, including managed hosting, website building, email integration, and other web-driven services. With more than 60 million domains under management, Go Daddy currently has more than 14 million customers around the world.
- Other TLD prices
- Number of TLDs available
- Bulk price
- Security features
- Mobile app
- Customer support
- ICANN accreditation
If you want to purchase a .com domain with Go Daddy, it will cost $11.99/year.
The one thing notorious about GoDaddy’s prices is that the first year’s price is very low and balloons up to a higher price the following year, locking customers in to the higher price. (Currently that higher price averages at $14.99-$15.99/year).
All domains come with the following:
- Simple domain set up – no technical skills required
- Easy domain forwarding to any existing website
- Up to 100 subdomains to customize your site
- 100 professional email aliases
Compared to other domain name companies, both of GoDaddy’s prices are in line with most domain registrars in the industry.
Other TLD Prices
For additional Top-Level Domains, such as .org, .net, .co, .info, etc., GoDaddy charges an average of $11.99/year. Different extensions have different perks included. For example a .net TLD costs $11.99/year and includes free domain parking, automatic domain parking, total DNS control, change of registration option and status alerts. This makes GoDaddy competitive in this area, as some domain companies offer additional TLDs at higher rates than their .com domains.
Number of TLDs Available
According to one of GoDaddy’s Live representatives, when asked how many Top-Level Domains (TLDs) they offer, the answer was “A LOT”. Upon further research, it appears GoDaddy offers hundreds of domains. Some companies only offer around 100 different TLDs and a few offer over 500, making GoDaddy on par with the average domain registration company.
Customers purchasing a large number of domain names are offered the option of signing up for GoDaddy’s Domain Discount Club. The Domain Discount Club discounts the price you pay for bulk domains, but it also includes revenue-generating extras like CashParking Premium and a GoDaddy Auctions membership.
GoDaddy’s discount program offers a percentage ranging from 16% to 40% off particular domain names. The discount percentage depends on the extensions, # of domains, and # of years on the domain. GoDaddy does not have responsive links to the discount pricing page information, so it is not available. Some domain companies offer a discount pyramid, where you get 10% off for 100 domains and so forth.
GoDaddy offers customers security features for their domains. They can get WHOIS privacy, which hides their personal information on the public WHOIS database, which is $7.99/year for each domain and $14.99/year for additional privacy and Business protection. Business protection includes protected registration to prevent accidental domain expiration or malicious transfer, certified domain seal to show visitors your domain is valid and a Business Registration Card to show viewers in the WHOIS directory. GoDaddy’s $7.99/year fee is less than the industry average of $9.99/year.
GoDaddy is one of the very few companies who offer an app for mobile customers with Apple or Android devices. The app is free and has a 4+ iOS rating and a 4.1 Android rating. The GoDaddy app offers:
- Ability to check email, find great domains and manage your online presence from anywhere.
- Register and manage domains with DNS control, forwarding, nameserver management, and renewal.
- Send and receive Go Daddy email in our Mobile Workspace mail client.
- Manage Dedicated and Virtual Dedicated Servers, Email accounts, Online Store order, Hosting essentials, account settings, and Online Files.
- Search, browse, track, bid, make an offer, and purchase domains in the GoDaddy Auctions Domain Name Aftermarket.
- Renew your products, and receive notifications about upcoming expirations.
- Learn more about tools: Hosting, Web Builder, SSL Certificates, Email, Shopping Cart, Servers, and more
- Save time with our remember account features and express checkout.
- Look-up WHOIS domain registration information
Go Daddy is known for its 24/7 customer support and is arguably the best in the industry. Throughout their website, “Help” options appear everywhere on the website, from the header to the footers of all website pages. They have a Live Chat window (which pops up excessively on every page while you’re visiting their site—which can get annoying). However, their Live Chat is really live in contrast to some domain companies have “live chats” that function as email support tickets. There is also a GoDaddy Help page, where common questions are asked and answered by GoDaddy representatives in the comment section. Unlike many domain registrars, GoDaddy does not have email support. They pride themselves on being a “live” support provider.
- ICANN fees
- Cross selling
- Simple domain transfer policies
GoDaddy’s mandatory ICANN fee of 18 cents is indicated on their website. While most domain name providers include this fee in their advertised cost, GoDaddy tells customers this through a small print notice at the bottom of their home pages. Although the fee is only 18 cents, it does change the advertised price and puts off some customers.
Some domain registrar companies add on ICANN fees at the check out and those companies that have these fees scored lower than those that didn’t. Other companies fail to mention whether or not they had those fees included.
GoDaddy is infamous for its upsells during the checkout process. They offer 5 upsells, 4 of which are the full contents of one of the checkout pages as you scroll down for the button to click to the next page. GoDaddy has improved from years ago when they assaulted customers with aggressive, annoying upsell pop-ups throughout the checkout process. Compared to the majority of domain registration companies, GoDaddy annoys users with their aggressive upselling techniques, making consumers go through several additional screens of sales pitches in order to buy a domain name.
Simple Domain Transfer Policies
Customers wanting to transfer their domains to another registrar will find that the term “how to transfer a domain away from Go Daddy” comes up on Google’s first page. They offer a detailed information page with step by step instructions. The process, GoDaddy says, takes 10 days to complete. This is longer than the average 5-7 day timeframe most companies promise customers.
Additionally, GoDaddy customers are not eligible to transfer a domain for a 60-day period after the following events:
- Registering or transferring a domain name
- Updating the registrant contact’s organization
- Updating the registrant contact’s first or last name and an organization is not listed
Customers also cannot transfer a domain for a 10-day period after changing their domain from one GoDaddy account to another using their Account Change Process. GoDaddy generously answers questions posed in the comment section on the external transfer instruction page on their website.
The overall conclusion is that GoDaddy may be “creating delays” with long wait periods to avoid losing business.
GoDaddy, the leader in the domain registration and transfer business, offers several different pricing options for different domain names:
- $12.99/year for .com
- $6.99/year for .co
- $2.99/year for .info
- $12.99/year for .org
- $9.99/year for a .net
- $9.99/year for .me
- $9.99/year for .mobi
Bulk domains are also an option. Domain registrants can purchase 1-5 domains or 6-20 domains per year for $12.99.
Additional Services Prices
GoDaddy offers additional services, with the service and pricing listed below:
- WhoIs privacy, priced at $9.99 per year to protect your personal contact info when you register a website.
- Web hosting starts at $3.99.
- WordPress hosting, which is “blazing fast” and easy, costs only $1.00/month.
- A “Get Found” service, which optimizes your website for the Internet, starts at $4.49/month for twelve months.
- Email is also an option. The Business Essentials plan costs $7.99/month per user and gives the client access to email, as well as hosted Microsoft Office, essential for small to medium sized businesses.
GoDaddy offers several different hosting options, which are listed below:
- Virtual Private Servers, starting at $19.99/month.
- Dedicated Servers, starting at $99.99/month, which feature 2 x 160 GB hard drives and 5 TB of bandwidth per month.
- Managed hosting, starting at $244.99/month.
- Reseller hosting, starting at $39.99/month.
GoDaddy boasts multiple domains for its clients, including .com, .net, .org, .biz, and the domains listed above in the pricing section of this review. We also found that GoDaddy has virtually every domain possible, including .today, .consulting, and .reviews. The more specialized domains supported, such as reviews, are intended for domains that are industry specific.
Accepted Payment Types
GoDaddy offers multiple payment options for its clients, including the following:
- In-store credit (where applicable).
- Gift Cards.
- Most major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover).
GoDaddy has excellent customer support, via a phone number that is available 24/7/365. One of the tech support clients, featured on the site, won the Best in Customer Support with Technology three years in a row. GoDaddy also has email, live chat, and other support options that ranked very well with customers.
GoDaddy offers several different features and services, which are listed below (as well as described in the reviews for pricing above):
- Outlook email that features access to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Web domain privacy to help keep your registration information private.
- “Getting Found,” which includes search engine optimization and email marketing.
- Easy-to-use, lightning fast, affordable WordPress integration.
- Website design, either through a Do-It-Yourself approach or through a professionally designed website.
- Different hosting options, ranging from a VPN to a managed server for your business.
Company Contact Information
14455 N Hayden Rd., Ste 226
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (480) 505-8800