GoDaddy

Former USMC veteran Bob Parsons founded GoDaddy in 1997. Specializing in domain registry and reselling, GoDaddy also offers multiple services, including managed hosting, website building, email integration, and other web-driven services. With more than 60 million domains under management, GoDaddy currently has more than 14 million customers around the world.

GoDaddy is known for its excellent customer service and has a large variety of domains available for purchase. Each domain type comes with its own yearly price, but bullk pricing is also available. The company provides security features with its domains and has a mobile app to help users manage their online presence.

Go Directly to GoDaddy Reviews

The Good

• Price
  • Other TLD prices
  • Number of TLDs available
  • Bulk price
  • Security features
  • Mobile app
  • Customer support
  • ICANN accreditation

Price

If you want to purchase a .com domain with Go Daddy, it will cost $11.99/year. The one thing notorious about GoDaddy's prices is that the first year's price is very low and balloons up to a higher price the following year, locking customers in to the higher price. (Currently that higher price averages at $14.99-$15.99/year). All domains come with the following:

• Simple domain set up - no technical skills required
  • Easy domain forwarding to any existing website
  • Up to 100 subdomains to customize your site
  • 100 professional email aliases

Compared to other domain name companies, both of GoDaddy's prices are in line with most domain registrars in the industry.

Other TLD Prices

For additional Top-Level Domains, such as .org, .net, .co, .info, etc., GoDaddy charges an average of $11.99/year. Different extensions have different perks included. For example a .net TLD costs $14.99/year and includes free domain parking, automatic domain parking, total DNS control, change of registration option and status alerts.

Other domains that are available include .shop, .io, .health, .world, and more at varying prices.

Number of TLDs Available

According to one of GoDaddy's Live representatives, when asked how many Top-Level Domains (TLDs) they offer, the answer was "A LOT". Upon further research, it appears GoDaddy offers hundreds of domains. Some companies only offer around 100 different TLDs and a few offer over 500, making GoDaddy on par with the average domain registration company.

GoDaddy also offers personal domains that can be used for a variety of reasons. Personal domains can be used as a resume or portfolio website as well as point users to social networking pages. A personal domain is also useful in creating a professional email address from that domain name.

Bulk Price

Customers purchasing a large number of domain names are offered the option of signing up for GoDaddy's Domain Discount Club. The Domain Discount Club discounts the price you pay for bulk domains, but it also includes revenue-generating extras like CashParking Premium and a GoDaddy Auctions membership. GoDaddy's discount program offers a percentage ranging from 16% to 40% off particular domain names. The discount percentage depends on the extensions, # of domains, and # of years on the domain. GoDaddy does not have responsive links to the discount pricing page information, so it is not available. Some domain companies offer a discount pyramid, where you get 10% off for 100 domains and so forth.

Security Features

GoDaddy offers customers security features for their domains. They can get WHOIS privacy, which hides their personal information on the public WHOIS database, which is $7.99/year for each domain and $14.99/year for additional privacy and Business protection. Business protection includes protected registration to prevent accidental domain expiration or malicious transfer, certified domain seal to show visitors your domain is valid and a Business Registration Card to show viewers in the WHOIS directory. GoDaddy's $7.99/year fee is less than the industry average of $9.99/year.

Mobile App

GoDaddy is one of the very few companies who offer an app for mobile customers with Apple or Android devices. The app is free and has a 4+ iOS rating and a 4.1 Android rating. The GoDaddy app offers:

• Ability to check email, find great domains and manage your online presence from anywhere.
  • Register and manage domains with DNS control, forwarding, nameserver management, and renewal.
  • Send and receive Go Daddy email in our Mobile Workspace mail client.
  • Manage Dedicated and Virtual Dedicated Servers, Email accounts, Online Store order, Hosting essentials, account settings, and Online Files.
  • Search, browse, track, bid, make an offer, and purchase domains in the GoDaddy Auctions Domain Name Aftermarket.
  • Renew your products, and receive notifications about upcoming expirations.
  • Learn more about tools: Hosting, Web Builder, SSL Certificates, Email, Shopping Cart, Servers, and more
  • Save time with our remember account features and express checkout.
  • Look-up WHOIS domain registration information

Customer Support

Go Daddy is known for its 24/7 customer support and is arguably the best in the industry. Throughout their website, "Help" options appear everywhere on the website, from the header to the footers of all website pages. They have a Live Chat window (which pops up excessively on every page while you're visiting their site-which can get annoying). However, their Live Chat is really live in contrast to some domain companies have "live chats" that function as email support tickets. There is also a GoDaddy Help page, where common questions are asked and answered by GoDaddy representatives in the comment section. Unlike many domain registrars, GoDaddy does not have email support. They pride themselves on being a "live" support provider.

ICANN Accreditation

The Bad

• ICANN fees
  • Cross selling
  • Simple domain transfer policies

ICANN Fees

GoDaddy's mandatory ICANN fee of 18 cents is indicated on their website. While most domain name providers include this fee in their advertised cost, GoDaddy tells customers this through a small print notice at the bottom of their home pages. Although the fee is only 18 cents, it does change the advertised price and puts off some customers. Some domain registrar companies add on ICANN fees at the check out and those companies that have these fees scored lower than those that didn't. Other companies fail to mention whether or not they had those fees included.

Cross Selling

GoDaddy is infamous for its upsells during the checkout process. They offer 5 upsells, 4 of which are the full contents of one of the checkout pages as you scroll down for the button to click to the next page. GoDaddy has improved from years ago when they assaulted customers with aggressive, annoying upsell pop-ups throughout the checkout process. Compared to the majority of domain registration companies, GoDaddy annoys users with their aggressive upselling techniques, making consumers go through several additional screens of sales pitches in order to buy a domain name.

Simple Domain Transfer Policies

Customers wanting to transfer their domains to another registrar will find that the term "how to transfer a domain away from Go Daddy" comes up on Google's first page. They offer a detailed information page with step by step instructions. The process, GoDaddy says, takes 10 days to complete. This is longer than the average 5-7 day timeframe most companies promise customers. Additionally, GoDaddy customers are not eligible to transfer a domain for a 60-day period after the following events:

• Registering or transferring a domain name
  • Updating the registrant contact's organization
  • Updating the registrant contact's first or last name and an organization is not listed

Customers also cannot transfer a domain for a 10-day period after changing their domain from one GoDaddy account to another using their Account Change Process. GoDaddy generously answers questions posed in the comment section on the external transfer instruction page on their website. The overall conclusion is that GoDaddy may be "creating delays" with long wait periods to avoid losing business.

The Bottom Line

GoDaddy is famous for its low introductory prices for domain names and excellent 24/7 customer support. Customers should be aware the price they sign up for will increase at the end of the first year. (The higher prices are still manageable at the locked-in rate of $14.99-$15.99/year). They're also one of the very few companies who offer an app for mobile customers with Apple and Android devices. GoDaddy is ICANN accredited. While the company is infamous for a large number of upsells during checkout, the amount of different domains available and competitive first year pricing make GoDaddy a worth a look when searching through domain registrars.

4.0

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

When we were setting up our small business a number of years ago, GODaddy was the best option for us. They provided assistance in setting up out WEB-Site with free web design tools. Their hosting was the best dollar value for the needs we had and we were able to capture our own distinctive web address that provided insight into what our business was.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

A very easy and cheap way to register a domain. Go daddy has great policies that go along with your domain purchase and the freedom to do what you want with your domain.

Reply from GoDaddy

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate you!

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

Go Daddy made making a website easy. I recommend this if you are a beginner or first time website designer. It doesn't allow as much customization as other sights, but sometimes that's what you need.

Reply from GoDaddy

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate you!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

GoDaddy.com is an expert website builder service. It offers the common website elements to give you the basics and many advanced features to make your website truly stand out. I know that I would never have been able to do this on my my own. They give your site a fresh, professional look. They can host and provide upgrades too. They are a full service website building resource and the real deal!

Mindy Smith Smithfield, UT

Our business website is through GoDaddy and it has been a wonderful place to advertise for us. Alot of the history of our company is shown through pictures on the website and it is a very easy platform to work on.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Need a Website? Only go to the best-Godaddy. They provide all the right web tools and solutions to almost any web challenge. If you value support, connectivity, volume-you need to use Godaddy. As a web industry leader, it is hard to ignore just how good their services are.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I was drawn to choosing GoDaddy for my web hosting because of all of the Super Bowl ads that they do, so I felt that they're marketing was better than every other web hosting out there. GoDaddy's uptime is consistently fast with their uptime as well as their page speed. For me, slowness drives me crazy and is a dealbreaker. So it was refreshing to have fast uptime and speed from the start. I was NOT a fan of GoDaddy's plans. You don't want to go with the lowest priced plan because then you are limited so it's better to go with their Deluxe plan at around $5/month. Worth your money. If you're ok with those things as well as other renewal type fees, then GoDaddy does the job and it does it well.

otis90 Preston, ID

I have used GoDaddy.com to create 3 domain names for a product I am trying to develop. I have found it very user friend with easy to login access. I get renewal emails as reminders which are very helpful

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

I use GoDaddy for all my domain purchases and they have been great keeping them organized and offering sales on some when it comes to renewing domains.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

Not too impressed with the website building for this company. They advertise that it’s very easy, but there isn’t a lot of customer service to help someone who isn’t computer savvy. I think they need to make sure they use the perspective of the average person and also quit worrying so much about edgy advertising and put more money into the customer service.

david jones

GoDaddy used to stink but has recently really upped their game. Their user interface has improved greatly. I think their pricing is fair. The only bummer is how much they try to up sell your. Godaddy was one of the first companies I used to purchase domains and host my websites. It has been fun to see them grow and constantly improve their user interface.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

GoDaddy.com is an awesome website development tool. I needed a site that could handle financial transactions and host a huge library, and they delivered. Awesome services and low cost maintenance. They can build a quality product for sure.

August Moulton Lehi, UT

Go Daddy is my go to website for choosing a web name. I love the suggestions and tools to assist in choosing a website name and the prompts to help you tweak your name to fit your budget or style. Go Daddy is always my first drop in creating a new website.

Donna Williams Phoenix, AZ

GoDaddy Customer Service is second to none! Pricing is fantastic for all their products, but the knowledge and help and demeanor of their employees on the phone is what set's them apart from all the others. GoDaddy's people know how to take care of their customer's and they do it with such class! Great job GoDaddy!

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

Super easy to use. We don't know a lot about websites but we were able to find our way around the site easy enough.

Mike Halliday ,

Registered my company websites through GoDaddy and it was a fairly simple process.

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

It’s a good service to use. I’ve never had any issues with them. Nice customer service too.

Reply from GoDaddy

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

Tagg Ogden, UT

GoDaddy is really easy to use to get a domain name and even build the website there. Their prices are low and it is straight forward.

Angelina Hamilton Gulfport, MS

Their website sometimes can be difficult to navigate. I have several charges that go to my credit card and have to have an invoice to associate with it. Trying to dig for it can take time in their system. We use their services at work when building clients websites so there are many.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

They are a company that can help you build the website you need for yourself, your company, or even for organizations that you are a part of. Very easy to work with and it turned out great.

Tom Chicago, IL

At renewal Godaddy is trying to charge me €15.99 in Euros while I am in the United States! The amount should be $14.99 but they not only increased it by $1 or €1 vbut also are trying to rip me off by charging in €uros or British Pounds! And this is with a Promo Code! Plus, they also charge me extra for Taxes and Fees that they did not charge before! What a way to treat a long time customer. They want to make sure I will transfer my domains to another registrar! Also, as soon as I added my domain names into the renewal cart Godaddy moved the renewal date for all of my domains 19 days back which means now I will be paying for one year but receive not 365 days but only 346 days of their service! Godaddy were trying to rip me off for many years now, but lately their game has become more like a fraud or a scam rather than a domain registrar. This is not the way to treat a customer of almost 2 decades! Read FORBES article about crooked deals and ripoffs of Godaddy.

Amy Celeste Kennedy Gilmer, TX

I have been using godaddy for over two years as I signed up originally for a promo package advertising a special rate which was honored. I then one year later was shocked when I was charged a huge increase (through apparent auto billing that I was unaware of - and I probe didn't read the fine print so that I will accept blame for as well) Where I got duped was signing up for a few more sites when I saw a commercial on tv for getting a "free human" with the purchase of website. I never got that "free human" to assist me but more like a different saleman every time I called in to get helpline promised. Every problem I had they came back with a (paid)solution (meaning I would have to pay for my problem to be solves) Their transparency (due to COMPLETE LACK OF TRANSPARENCY!) would receive a score of 0 from me. Their web builder is basically the same as everyone elses . Now I have 5-6 sites (correction: WEB ADDRESSES that I grossly mistaken for websites ) that I have paid for and only one that actually has a website builder and its one I don't even need the builder for as I pay another company $100 a month for their website(which is needed as I am a car dealer and they manage my inventory uploads from my dealer management software) so i basically have a website builder thru godaddy on the one site I actually forward to another service as its my company's legal name .com and comes up on google search or I would've eliminated it as I don't even use that long name on advertisements due to length ) and 5 mire web addresses that I bought thinking they would be actual sites but they aren't anything besides addresses with no hosting or site builder and the only way i can get help is to pay for it- my "free human" (aka pay per use to me) is apparently signed to so many people that they are never available and so I get redirected to a sales dept. I guess possibly i am responsible for not researching what was in front and guilty for l=believing a salesman trying to make a sale and saying whatever necessary to obtain said sale. Salesman have bad reputations for this exact reason. Being the owner of a dealership I have had many years experience in sales and companies like Godaddy are an embarrassment to the profession of (HONEST) sales. Lesson learned. Also, the pries they quote are mostly yet they debit my credit card annually... why not be honest and tell me that the rate you are quoting is multiplied by 12? Unhappy customer looking for web hosting and website building for a non technical person trying to create site for credit repair company, auto loans and affiliate services. Thats how I actually ended up here on this site.

Michelle Schow Saratoga Springs, UT

I used GoDaddy to build a website and it was very user friendly and intuitive. I have no background in web design, but with GoDaddy.com templates I was able to create a decent looking, functioning website.

Kathryn Robinson Riverton, UT

I have no experience with website design. I have used GoDaddy.com to develop and design two websites. GoDaddy makes the process easy and user friendly. My 10-year-old son even created his own website using the GoDaddy tools.

Mimi Jones Salt Lake City, UT

I have used GoDaddy.com for over 10 years for my business. They are affordable and their customer product is well designed. They have helped me create a simple website and I have feedback from my clients that it is easy to use from their computer as well as their mobile device. I will continue to use GoDaddy.com

JAKE American Fork, UT

We have used Go Daddy to build our website/domain. It was a fairly easy process. We had a few issues with the billing but they were fairly quick at helping us resolve it. I have found other website builders that have been a little easier to use. So this was ok but not particularly the best for us.

Lindsey A Brown Lehi, UT

I was in need of creating my first website for my first small company and GoDaddy.com was who I went with. Very pleased with how easy it was to use and how many great reviews I read when searching out who to go with. Fairly inexpensive as well for the annual price.

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Thought about GoDaddy when I needed webhosting since I knew them from their commercials. Ended up going with a different hosting site due to them having a better initial sign-up deal for first year of hosting.

Jeffrey Salas Gilbert, AZ

They will provide the necessary resources to design your website and do it well, they are well established they are far reaching and will go above and beyond to ensure the web designing/building is done smoothly without hiccups.

Jackson Barousse Kenner, LA

I have used GoDaddy to host several of my websites and any problems that I had were due to my own error. It's an excellent service.

Reply from GoDaddy

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review!

Jun. 30th, 2020

Amanda Montebello, CA

I have a few domains on GoDaddy and the first year received a great discount. After the first year I pay more but still have great prices.

Never Daddy Orlando, FL

Don't say no one ever told you so. I never leave reviews, but they suck. CS Bad. Products Bad. Always trying to cross-sell. I'm done with them. Oh yeah, was their web builder so crappy they had to bring in another company? Just sayin do your homework before dealing with Godaddy. Maybe less of those masochistic ads and possibly they can keep their high prices down. If you really wanna look at that stuff, there is free porn; this is the internet anyway.

Kari Bulin Belleville, NJ

The biggest problem I've found with GoDaddy is that their servers crash all the time due to too many websites being on them at once. Then, it's a hassle to get the website back up after it crashes. To some people, the price point makes it worth it, but for me, that is not something I enjoy.

J Mack Tampa, FL

They have screwed up my account multiple times causing me to lose domain names and other products like email after repeatedly asking them to keep all the products in my account on auto-renew. Very unfriendly customer service. Supervisors very rude on both occasions i had to speak with them about this. It' is bad when the customer has to be the diplomatic one. I am switching from GoDaddy asap.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

I used GoDaddy for a personal website for a couple years. The layouts are easy to get around and updating the site is easy enough. It is reliable and I didn't have many issues with the site crashing.

Barry Henline Logan, UT

Five Stars....Five Stars...Five Stars. The ease of use for a guy like me that can barely turn on a computer is great. The best customer service out there.

Brody B Orem, UT

Average at best. I have used a few different website builders and GoDaddy is in the middle of the pack. I don't like their variety of templates and the functionality isn't great. If you are looking to build a high quality site I would recommend using a different website builder.

Jeff B Orem, UT

I used GoDaddy for building one of my business websites. I found the builder somewhat difficult to use being someone with little website building knowledge. I have since used another website builder which I have found to be much better. The overall look and feel of the website I built was sub par compared to others.

Shayla Hankins Lehi, UT

Go daddy has the most memorable commercials and the easiest website to navigate. I could easily build an entire website with them in an hour. And their prices are low.

Randal hyde Springfield, MO

GoDaddy is easy to use. Their customer support is great. I would highly recommend them to friends and family.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

Recently I secured a website name from GoDaddy.com and the process was fast and easy. I was able to buy my web name for $19 in matter of minutes.

Steve

All the balloons, whistles and dancing bears when you register a new product for one year. I don't want to scare the children, but just wait until next year when you need to renew your domain. You have been warned!

Josh Harold Dallas, TX

I once made a website for a service I was providing and go daddy had all the tools and customer support to allow me to get it done

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

Was very easy to reserve a few different domain names. I created the websites hosted on GoDaddy though the built in WordPress. Super easy to use/navigate!

kylie bodell Los Angeles, CA

Super easy to set up an account through Godaddy.com. We used GoDaddy.com to set up a website domaine and we are very satisfied!

Amanda Montebello, CA

I’ve used GoDaddy to purchase a few domains for my business as well as build their sites. It is easy to used and priced great.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

GoDaddy is a good site to manage your website. The menu makes it super easy to use and know where you are if you stayed organized in your site map.

Juan Beaver, PA

I have used go daddy for many things. The website builder is not that great i have used their interface for that before and i prefer to build my own website elsewhere and host with go daddy.

Benjamin Walbrecht Provo, UT

A great place to get cheap domain names. I’ve personally bought domains from GoDaddy and it’s simple to use and easy to host your website

Craig Orem, UT

GoDaddy.com is just alright. I have used multiple website builders and they are the worst one I have used. Their templates aren't great and the price is fairly high. Not a terrible option but I would recommend another option before choosing GoDaddy.com.