- Other TLD prices
- Number of TLDs available
- Bulk price
- Security features
- Cross selling
- Customer support
- ICANN accreditation
To purchase a .com domain name with Above.com, it will cost $9.45/year. This price is less expensive than the average going rate in the domain name industry. Low rates typically hover around $11.99 to $15.99. This makes Above.com’s pricing competitive in this area. You can also backorder .com domains for $15.70.
Other TLD Prices
Prices for other Top-Level Domains (TLDs) like .net, .co, .org, .info, etc. range from $8.00/year to $29.95/year. These prices are on par with most competitors in the industry for additional TLDs. If you want to backorder a .net, .org, .us or .biz domain, prices range from $12.00 to $18.10/year.
Number of TLDs Available
Above.com offers hundreds of Top Level Domains (TLDS). Many TLD companies offer a greater variety of more than 500 TLDs but most do not. This puts Above.com on par with most domain companies in this area. Above.com is also a domain name marketplace where customers can buy or sell their domain names or park them there if they choose.
Above.com is one of the very few domain registrars that offer bulk pricing. For bulk discount rates, you have to purchase 100 domains or more if you have or wish to transfer a domain into the Above.com Domain Registrar. The exact discount percentage requires talking with a sales representative. They also offer Bulk Transfer Financing.
Above.com offer customers free WHOIS privacy with the purchase of one or more domain names. Many companies charge for this feature on a yearly basis, ranging from $9.99 to $11.99/year. All domain registrars are required to list the personal information (name, address, etc) of the domain name owner on this public database, which makes them vulnerable to hackers, identity theft and spamming. Above.com’s privacy protection hides this personal information from the public. Offering free privacy protection is a very competitive feature, putting Above.com above the competition in this area.
When it comes to upselling, Above.com gives customers a break. Once you purchase a domain name, Above.com gives you the option to add on other available or suggested domains. Next they require your personal and credit card information. They then take you to the payment page from there. While some domain companies bombard users with 2 or more upsells while checking out, Above.com does not, making them superior in this regard.
Above.com gives customers more options than the average domain registrar in the area of customer support. They offer both email, phone, live chat, forums and other related support. The details include:
- Phone support: Above.com does not supply hours for their phone support. This is a significant negative. They do share their head office hours, which are 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday, Australian Eastern Standard Time. (This may or may not apply to phone support availability). Most companies offer phone hours along with their contact numbers, so Above.com falls short in this area.
- Email Support: While some domain registrars do not display their email addresses openly, Above.com does. They also offer more than one email—a contact email, expert help email and an abuse email to report unscrupulous activity such as spamming.
- Live Chat Support: Above.com offers a Live Chat feature that functions in real time. Many companies offer a Live chat feature that operates as a contact form. Compared to most domain companies who offer 24/7 chat support, Above.com has set chat support hours: Monday-Thursday 8:30am to midnight USA Pacific time and Fri 8:30am to 5:30pm USA Pacific time.
- Fax Support: Unlike many companies today, Above.com leaves a fax number for customers who have a fax machine and want to use that option.
- F&Q Section: Falls under the category of “autopilot”on Above.com’s site. Autopilot means evergreen informational support already available. Above.com offers a full Facts and Questions page with commonly asked questions and answers. Many companies offer this as well.
- Quick Start Guide: A separate page with detailed instructions on how to autopilot monetization for your domain name with topics such as making infographics and video tutorials.
- Online Manual: A separate page about a paragraph long detailing all the domains Above.com offers. They also provide a link to discounted domain pricing and the full list of supported domain name extensions.
Additionally, if customers want to contact Above.com through postal mail, the company puts their mailing address on the contact/support page. This is different than many domain registrars, who do not offer their company’s address as a means of contact.
- ICANN fees
- Mobile app
- Simple domain transfer policies
During the checkout process, Above.com is not transparent regarding ICANN fees. ICANN fees are 18-cent annual fees charged to all domain registrar companies. Some companies pass this cost along to the customer and others simply configure it into the price for the annual domain fee. Above.com is not transparent about its choice to do the former or the latter. Nor do they mention ICANN fees in small print at the footer of their website pages with an asterisk.
Above.com does not offer Android and IOS apps for mobile users to manage their domains. This puts mobile customers at a disadvantage when using Above.com. There are a few companies that offer apps that let you manage your domains from a smart device. If you’re busy and a frequent traveler, this can be inconvenient if you have to make domain payments or domain transfers, etc. while away from a computer.
Simple Domain Transfer Policies
Above.com doesn’t make transferring domains to other registrars troublesome for customers except for one major thing: pricing. The company charges a fee for domain transfers. For example, if you want to transfer a .com domain, the transfer fee is $9.45. Transfer fees are the same price as domain name fees. So their .net domain costs $10.15, which means their transfer fee is also $10.15. Most domain companies do not charge a transfer fee.
Regarding the transfer process, Above.com presents a clear outline regarding the process for transferring out domains. You have to first unlock the domain and obtain an EPP Code or Authorization Code to provide to the new registrar. Your account has to be verified before you are able to unlock domains. Something different about Above.com is that while many domain registrars don’t go into much detail outlining the transfer process to other domains for customers, Above.com goes the extra mile. They offer an extensive video tutorial and screenshots with step-by-step instructions.
Above.com offers a straightforward pricing paradigm for its domain registration services. The following domains are available for purchase, transfer, and renewal at these prices:
- $9.45/year for a .com domain.
- $9.95/year for a .org domain.
- $9.00/year for a .net domain.
- $9.45/year for a .info domain.
There are bulk discount options available, but only if a client wishes to transfer 100 or more domains.
Additional Services Prices
Generally, WhoIs privacy is available, at no charge, with most domain names. However, check the domain being registered in order to see if the privacy feature is an option. Also, some domains only offer WhoIs privacy for parked domains. Once again, check the domain lookup tool to see if WhoIs privacy is an option.
Other services include a domain marketplace. Here we found domains being traded for anywhere from $8 to tens of thousands of dollars.
Since Above.com only focuses on domain registration and reselling no web hosting or cloud options are available for clients.
There are many different domain names available to clients. Besides the domain names listed in the pricing section, we were able to find .us, .be, .club, and many other domains available.
Accepted Payment Types
Above.com accepts bank wire, MasterCard, and Visa payments.
Since Above.com is a domain marketplace, we found their support services to be somewhat limited. These included phone and email services.
Above.com, as a domain marketplace, is very limited in their additional features and services. In addition to WhoIs privacy for most domain names, we found the following services and features:
- Monitoring and easy movement of parked domains to make these domains work better as part of an SEO paradigm.
- Their three services, registration, parking, and the marketplace, all function independently of one another.
- SEO tools to see how a particular domain might improve the web presence of an e-business that operates with blocks of web domains.
- Ease of domain management: interrelated domains are placed into folders, making it easy to manage parked domains that are related to a particular website.
Company Contact Information
Above.com Pty Ltd
6-8 East Concourse
BEAUMARIS, VIC 3193
229 rue Solferino
Email: [email protected]
North America Phone Number: 310-736-4230