We Feed Raw

7.5

LAST UPDATED: November 9th, 2021

Founded in 2009, We Feed Raw is a pet food company offering meal plans, patties, treats, and bones. It started with an idea from pet lover Alissa Zalneraitis' collaboration with her sushi chef boyfriend Rich Reel IV. Zalneraitis wanted an alternative to the commercial diets that were available in stores. Based in Saco, Maine, this dog food service offers fresh raw diet meals for cats and dogs. Meals are individually portioned, based on your pet's ideal body weight and are cold-shipped to your doorstep.

We Feed Raw meals are based on the Prey Model Raw ancestral diet and are free of the following:

• Artificial ingredients
  • Preservatives
  • Fillers
  • By-products

Meat sources include the following grass-fed pasture meats and wild-caught fish:

• Beef
  • Chicken
  • Lamb
  • Quail
  • Turkey
  • Venison
  • Duck

We Feed Raw also offers dehydrated treats, with four options to enhance your dog's diet:

• Anchewies (dehydrated anchovies)
  • Dehydrated beef hearts
  • Dehydrated beef liver
  • Dehydrated chicken breast

Dog owners can also order bones, with three options:

• Beef knee caps
  • Beef ribs
  • Pork feet

This dog food company wants pets to eat a healthy meal full of natural nutrients and biologically appropriate for a wild animal to eat.

Keep reading for pros and cons of ordering from We Feed Raw.

The Good

• Prey Model Raw Diet
  • Raw Meal Plan or Patties
  • Food Safety Program
  • Eco-Friendly Shipping
  • Benefits of a Raw Dog Food Diet

Prey Model Raw Diet

We Feed Raw’s meal plans are built upon the Prey Model Raw feeding style, consisting of approximately 80 percent meaty meat (muscle meat and connective tissue and fat), 10 percent organ meat (all of which is secreting organ), and 10 percent edible bone. Included in the meals is a high-quality vitamin and mineral premix for a boost of nutrition.

All ingredients are sourced and made in the United States. All of We Feed Raw’s recipes are formulated by a Ph.D. animal nutritionist who has over 30 years of experience in raw feeding and animal nutrition.

Raw Meal Plan or Patties

Owners can choose between a two-week meal plan and the four-week meal plan. To ensure each pet is getting the nutrients they need, pet owners will create a profile of their pet(s), including age, breed, size, and any food allergies.

• Essential Plus Plan — protein assortment includes beef, chicken, lamb, quail, and turkey
  • Premium Plan — more meat variety, including venison and duck

Customers can make a one-time meal purchase or subscribe.

Pet owners can also purchase raw meat patties made of meaty muscle, organ meat, and edible bone. The difference is that these aren't pre-portioned; customers will have to portion them out themselves.

Food Safety Program

We Feed Raw uses high-pressure processing (HHP) on all of its meats, except treats. This approach does not use heat, chemicals, unnatural additives, or preservatives, but uses pressure to reduce pathogenic bacteria.

We Feed Raw also states that the HPP process is extremely effective at neutralizing Salmonella, E.coli, and Listeria.

We commend We Feed Raw for this process as many raw pet food companies use HPP because it is the most natural way to reduce harmful bacteria while preserving nutrients.

Eco-Friendly Shipping

We Feed Raw uses biodegradable, compostable coolers to deliver their products. The coolers are filled with dry ice to keep the food wholly frozen.

If you’re done with the cooler, simply run it under some water, and the cooler will dissolve within a few minutes.

Benefits of a Raw Dog Food Diet

Pet parents have lots of options when it comes to selecting the best diets for dogs. Feeding your dog primal pet foods is good for your dog's health. This company's biologically appropriate raw food is minimally processed, with 80 percent meat, 10 percent edible bone, and 10 percent organ meat. Raw diets provide essential nutrients, amino acids, and enzymes found in raw meat. A raw dog food diet has the following benefits:

• Less shedding
  • Fewer dental work needs
  • Better digestion
  • Healthier skin and coat
  • Improved weight control
  • More stamina
  • More energy
  • Less gas

The Bad

• Pricey Dog Food
  • Shipping Zones

Pricey Dog Food

Compared to canned food and dry dog food like kibble, it can be somewhat expensive for pet owners to feed your dog from We Feed Raw: Approximate per day cost is as follows:

• 2-week meal plan for a 10-lb dog — $5.00–$6.00
  • 4-week meal plan for a 10-lb dog — $3.50–$4.50
  • 2-week meal plan for a 25-lb dog — $7.00–$9.00
  • 4-week meal plan for a 25-lb dog — $6.00–$8.00
  • 2-week meal plan for a 50-lb dog — $9.50–$12.50
  • 2-week meal plan for a 50-lb dog — $8.00–$11.00

Shipping Zones

Because the company is based on the East Coast, it offers cheaper shipping to people living in the eastern half of the United States (called ZONE 1). Meal plan customers get free shipping; other items ship free with a minimum 20-lb purchase. Treats ship free if you buy three or more packages.

If you live in ZONE 2, shipping costs more. Pet owners in the Western states should keep that in mind before purchasing We Feed Raw products.

We Feed Raw ZONE 2 shipping includes the following states:

• Colorado
  • Wyoming
  • Idaho
  • Montana

The minimum purchase is 20 lbs of total package weight. Shipping costs $45 per box up to 40 lbs. That goes for raw diet meal plan customers and other items. If you buy three or more treats, it's still free shipping.

All customers will need to be aware that If they want to cancel or change an upcoming raw food order, they will have to notify We Feed Raw at least 14 days in advance. Subscription Meal Plan customers and standard item customers can cancel up to one week prior to your shipping date. No returns are accepted.

The Bottom Line

We Feed Raw is on a mission to help pets eat biologically appropriate foods that benefit their health and well-being. The company offers various meals and fresh meat orders, all without fillers, fruits, or veggies, which are not a part of this pet diet. However, we suggest speaking with your veterinarian before making any significant changes to your pet’s diet.

Over time it may become quite expensive to order from this raw food company — especially if you live in the West. But the messy kitchen prep work needed for a raw homemade diet is already done for you, and the benefits derived from this raw meal service are many.

Have you ordered We Feed Raw food for your puppy? Let us know about your experience with a quick dog food review below.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Feeding Raw Food to my dogs was something I had always wanted to do to enhance their health. We Feed Raw is a great company, however, it was not the right fit for my dogs due to time required to assemble the meals.

K Gonzales Corona, CA

I’m a new customer and just wanted to say thank you, thank you for your company. I’ve always wanted to feed my dogs raw but it was so much work and time consuming for me to do it myself. You guys make it SO easy!! I just submit my order 😆 My dogs also LOVE meal time now and they don’t have itchy skin anymore. I can’t even explain how happy I am that you guys exist. I pray for your continued success.

Lynn Young Reading, MA

My Toy Fox Terrier - Jett - is doing really well on this food. His fur and skin seem look much better now vs irritated and itchy and falling out. Lots of other foods - even the slow cooked foods like Nom-Nom and Ollie have ingredients like eggs and rice . I tried both of those foods and they just did not work for my guy, I am not sure what Jett reacts to but it’s probably more than one thing - foods and environment . I also am not noticing as much stomach rumbling. His tummy - at times - has made the loudest noises after eating. He seemed to have GERD and regurgitation symptoms. I think your food has resolved these issues. His digestion, skin and fur are much happier. The important thing is that this food is a straight forward raw food (vs slow cooked) with the nutrition my dog needs but without the extra stuff like brown rice and eggs. Geez - I sound like a commercial. This was exactly the type of food i wanted for my dog, Also - it shows up completely frozen, neatly packed and organized, The customer service is very responsive and helpful. I am extremely satisfied.

Arlette Prats Leawood, KS

I’ve been feeding WeFeedRaw to both my 2 1/2 year old GSD and my 11 year old yorkie for 6 months now. I couldn’t be happier of how my girls’ coats look, how healthy they are and how much they love it! This company stands behind their products and will answer any questions either via email or phone. The meat arrives in perfect condition packed in dry ice with a biodegradable cooler type container. Will never feed anything else!

P. Cast Framingham, MA

We Feed Raw is a well rounded, amazing company. The quality of the food is great, shipping is always on time and carefully packaged, and the customer service is phenomenal! Amy answered my emails quickly and helped me move up my shipping date when I realized, by my own mistake, that my dog was running low on food sooner than expected. Every single employee from the customer service team, to the individuals who package all the food, really do care that the customer gets the best product they can provide!

Connie Paek Marysville, WA

I love We Feed Raw and my pup totally agrees! Ever since we switched over to We Feed Raw, my pup loves meal time. It was always super difficult to get him to eat, since he was a super picky eater and he got bored of his food quickly. But now, he gets super excited when I get his food ready for him! Also, my pup is turning 12 this year and he has cushings, which makes him drink a ton of water, which in return makes him go pee every couple of hours. Ever since he started on We Feed Raw, his water consumption has been normal which means no more 3 am wake ups from him to take him out. This has helped with his well being and with our well being! Also, I do want to mention that their customer service is amazing. I reached out several times to inquire about my meal plan and also concerns I had, and they were super quick to respond and were very accommodating! I speak very highly to my family and friends about We Feed Raw and will continue to do so!

Aaron Moses Kirkland, WA

I first learned about WFR from someone on Facebook, so I reached out to WFR and asked a TON of questions. They answered every single one. I appreciated their responsiveness and time they took to make sure I had the info I needed to make a decision. I placed an order and started my 14-week pup on the WFR program and she took to it immediately. Ate all of the food and didn't experience any stomach upset or other digestive issues. I immediately noticed the difference in her poop...the smell is almost non-existent compared to what it was before. We are very happy with the program and look forward to future health benefits as well.

Reply from We Feed Raw

Thank you for the kind words, Aaron. And thank you for choosing us to feed your pup!

Feb. 3rd, 2021

Cheryl A'Purrson ,

I have always fed my dog a variety of preprepared raw foods, when I got the first of my present cats I started her on the raw journey. As an obligate carnivore, I managed to find a company who’s food was, and looked less processed. Sadly they went out of business after a recall due to Salmonella years ago. Since I was rotating brands as well as proteins for my crew. I was lucky to see an ad somewhere on Facebook I think for your food. I decided to try it in the rotation. My two cats were most interested in my first thawing and breaking up the slab of lamb. Sophie my dog did as well. I found your product looked the most like our beloved and lost Radcat food from years back. I now have 3 pets eager for their meals. I did need to rearrange seating as Moxie cat who always tends to gobble her food was then shoving herself in on Kizzy to steal her food. Even Sophie pushed in! Sign me a satisfied customer!

Elizabeth Lin Lompoc, CA

Amy & Alison are SO kind. I had a lot of questions about our dog Lady transitioning to raw. When I called to get more information, Alison took a whole hour to go in detail about it - and its what the fur parent needed. Amy & Alison have both answered my 100 million emails (not really, but seems like it) SO promptly. Now the raw diet - IT IS AMAZING! Lady has taken to it so well. No poopy runs! She has so much more energy. She used to sleep the majority of the day, but now she wants to play all the time. She also has a luxating patella, so we are hoping that this diet will help with her inflammation as well. She also can't eat this food fast enough! I think it'll be time for a slow feeder bowl or mat. I will forever talk great things about a raw diet for dogs. After all the research I have done finding the perfect diet for a dog, this is what comes up. Thank you We Feed Raw for going against the big corporations and educating people on the right and meant-to-be diets for our furry children!

Emily Vieira Winchester, MA

I switched my 2-year-old French bulldog, Pablo on raw at 11 months after experiencing continuous skin issues and allergies on kibble. I researched the raw diet and was immediately intrigued but nervous about the massive undertaking of portioning his meals with the appropriate amount nutrients he needed. That is when I stumbled upon We Feed Raw - They prepare and ship a variety of different raw meat/bones/organs to my door each month. Completely hassle free, I couldn’t say no! I noticed immediate results in Pablo. His skin issues vanished by week 3. I noticed a number of improvements; his coat was soft/shiny, his energy improved, and his physique was noticeably more defined. There is no question that raw has improved the quality of his life. I recently got a second French Bulldog, Diego. He started on We Feed Raw at 13 weeks, and loves it. The sooner you start feeding raw the better! We will never go back to kibble again. Thank you, We Feed Raw!

Jill Loyd Nashville, TN

After almost a decade of sourcing and making my own raw dog food I hesitantly started ordering from We Feed Raw several years ago. And after receiving the first shipment, I never looked back!! Their product is consistent, easy and my dog loves it! And I love not having to grind liver myself :)! My dog is now nearly 16 years old and thriving on this food. AND their customer service is TOP NOTCH! Highly recommend!!

Thalia Westerly, RI

So far, we feed raw has been great for us. We were overwhelmed with information regarding raw feeding and needed help. We feed raw has made the raw transition so easy for us. We are so vegans, so handling raw meat is hard for me. However, the way we feed raw packages their food, it’s super easy to handle. The customer service has been incredible and so responsive which makes all the difference in the world. On top of that, my baby, Beignet, LOVES his food.

Jacquie Moore Bothell, WA

I am very impressed with, not only the food, but the exceptional customer service and the help I’ve received setting up my auto ship. My Red Heeler has suffered food allergies and dry skin, resulting in excessive scratching and shedding. We saw an almost immediate change in his problems. He’s actually growing a beautiful “ruff”. Oh...and he LOVES his healthy diet! So thankful!

William Willen Chesapeake, VA

I have been feeding my GSP raw for about 6 months now but before I was just giving him whole chicken legs, thighs, turkey legs and thighs, or beef. It was a hassle to consistently stay stocked up on food for him but I didn't want to get him off a raw diet because of how much better he is about not counter surfing or bothering us for our food. So I found We Feed Raw on a youtube channel and decided to give them a try. I placed an order for the basic plan and a 4 week supply of food with strict instruction to not give chicken as I had previously found it gave my pup diarrhea. When the package came (2 days after shipping notification), I opened the box to find his chicken was substituted with quail. I was very happy to see they took the time to personalize the order to my pet and not charge us anything extra for the substitution. Asher has been eating the beef, quail, turkey, and lamb blends for about a week now and he absolutely loves meal time. He gets excited when I get a pouch from the fridge and devours it within minutes, often wanting more. The convenience of having the food delivered to your door without having to worry about any nutritional deficiencies is so helpful. Alison helped me switch his deliveries to bulk which is actually giving me 15 more pounds of food for a little less than the pre-packaged meals. Now I am getting a good quality food for the same price as buying bone in meat from the store. I couldn't be happier to have chose this company. Thank you again for all your help! For anyone's information I originally purchased the 4 week supply of basic calm/normal for a 60 lb dog and with the 30% off first order coupon it was around $170. I then switched him to the active/working plan which would have brought my total up to around $332. Alison then told me about the bulk plan and set it up for me so my pup gets the active/working dog with a normal weight of 65 lbs (he's a hungry active boy) for around $252.

Noel _ Sanford, FL

We Feed Raw has been such a step up from the grain free Orijen dog food, and the Honest Kitchen grain free dehydrated food that I had been feeding my German Shepherd dog. Not only does my dog love We Feed Raw, even more than her previous dog foods, but the beef rib bones that I order with her meal plan, have helped to keep her teeth and white. Also, her pet waste has been reduced tremendously, because her body is able to use just about all of what she eats now that she's eating raw, and completely uncooked meat, bones, and eggs, etc. My only regret is not starting her on We Feed Raw as soon as I had adopted her at 13 weeks old. Also, We Feed Raw has exemplary customer service. Both E-mail and Facebook questions are answered promptly, and they were even able to customize my dog's monthly subscription diet to exclude pork and chicken. In addition, We Feed Raw ships their food in very well insulated boxes, packed with dry ice, so even living in the hot, sunshine state of Florida, my dog's food arrives freshly frozen, pre-measured and neatly packed in individual daily-portion bags, and ready for me to place in my freezer, before taking a week's worth of food or so to thaw in my fridge. Last, their food is all free of antibiotics, steroids, and hormones, and their cows, buffalo, lamb, etc. are all grass-fed and pastured, and their chickens are pastured, as well. Overall, We Feed Raw is an Amazing company with the Best quality food for both dogs and cats. Definitely two thumbs and four paws, up, and highly recommended to help keep your furry friends in their best health and by your side.

B Modesto, CA

I rate this company and more importantly the food excellent... I always fed my dogs kibble and felt that was enough. My standard poodle Emme’ developed a couple of hot spots and dry skin so I put in salmon oil with her kibble.. Sadly that didn’t work. My son had been feeding a raw diet to his dogs and really wanted me to try a raw diet for Emme’ too. I did not want the trouble of making the raw diet myself so my son looked up several companies and told me this one was the best , not only user friendly convenient but quality of food was best.. After about a week hot spots started to stop being itchy and Emme’s fur started to grow back. In the months to come her fur was not only beautiful, never dry but Emme’s eating time is definitely one of her highlights of her day.. She loves this food and It’s so good for her.. Makes me as Emme’s mom friend and companion so very happy and fulfilled thats she’s so healthy and happy.. I wouldn’t hesitate to try this company and food..

Lesley K Norristown, PA

We finally made the plunge to 100% raw after dabbling with it for months and I am so happy we decided to go with We Feed Raw! They make it easy with their pre packaged grinds which are already weighed and measured to match my pup’s needs for both weight management and nutritional needs. Their customer service is top notch and my dog is so excited for meal time everyday! There is so much information out there about going raw and it was very overwhelming- We Feed Raw made it easy and digestible to make the switch! We can’t wait to continue our raw journey with them. 5 stars from the both of us!

Reply from We Feed Raw

Thank you for the kind words, Lesley! We're so excited your dog loves our food.

Sep. 14th, 2020

Supanida Khannala ,

I have been a customer with We Feed Raw for almost a year now, and my baby Buff totally loves the food they prepare for him in each packages. We have subscribed monthly order from We Feed Raw and always got our order on time until the pandemic messed up with FedEx delivery. Last week, we were supposed to get our monthly order on Friday 09/04, but due to the driver shortage, FedEx delivered our package two days late. When the package arrived, the food was completely thawed and the blood leaked through the box everywhere. So, I contacted We Feed Raw and asked them if the food was still okay to feed my baby, and they said the food wasn't supposed to be in the transit that long and I should not feed it to my baby anymore. They also sent us a replacement with the express 2-day shipping even though it was not their fault. I can't say enough good things about We Feed Raw. They work hard with care to their customers and the paws babies. I really appreciate and trust them to take care of my baby's meals. You guys are super awesome. Thank you so much!

Reply from We Feed Raw

Thank you, Supanida. Buff deserves nothing but the best.

Sep. 14th, 2020

Wendy Hopkins English, IN

My lab has always been on a raw diet, so I decided to try We Feed Raw for ease and convenience. Boy, was I surprised by the quality from ordering to food to the customer service. My labs demeanor is calmer and her coat looks amazing. She’s even lost weight. I would recommend We Feed Raw to anyone looking to transition to a raw food plan or to use higher quality raw meats delivered via a subscription service. They are amazing. Don’t hesitate getting your pet as healthy as possible with a raw fed diet. You won’t be disappointed.

MBK Charleston, SC

I love that We Feed Raw is a family owned and operated company! After researching options for our furry family member we found WFR brings integrity, care and energy to providing the best products and packaging for pet food. Unfortunately our dog passed before we were able to start the process fully (we looked into raw feeding as a way to prolong life as well as provide the best diet when we learned our time was limited with Chloe). We will use We Feed Raw with our next dog!

Brandi Denver, CO

My dogs love this food. They are always excited for meal time and I am already seeing improvements to their coats and digestive issues.

Samantha Clermont, FL

Started my pup on We Feed Raw 4 months ago and I’ve seen great improvements on his gut health and energy levels. He absolutely loves it!

Anna Burns Albuquerque, NM

I bought from this company for over 10 years and appreciated their high quality raw proteins for my animals. They have recently switched to pasteurized meats, which technically is not raw. The pasteurization process is done with pressure, which creates, heat and cooks the meat. So, if you really want raw, don't purchase theirs. Unfortunately, they are secretive about it. They don't publish the info.

Holly Brown Saint Amant, LA

My dogs enjoyed it but they became underweight and had to switch off, maybe better if done in bigger portions