Spot & Tango Logo

Spot & Tango

5.8

Spot & Tango is a specialty dog food brand from Breuer Premium Pet Food Company. Founded in 2014, the brand sells human grade dog food cooked in small batches, available with convenient, subscription-style delivery. It is made in New York with locally sourced ingredients. The meals are sold online and in select Northeast pet stores.

This isn’t your normal dry dog food. It is homemade dog food cooked to order, with an emphasis on how the food will affect your dog’s health. These personalized meals come at a price, but are personalized for each pet. The price of Spot & Tango pet food varies based on your dog.

The Good

• Trial and Money-Back Guarantee
  • High Quality, Fresh Ingredients
  • Shipping and Subscriptions
  • Meal Plan Algorithm

Trial and Money-Back Guarantee

If your fur baby is a picky eater, this pet food delivery service offers a risk-free trial. Not only can you get 50 percent off your first order for two weeks, but in the event that your dog doesn’t like it, Spot & Tango will give you a refund for your 2-week trial order.

High Quality, Fresh Ingredients

Recipes are formulated by vets and animal nutritionists and products exclude all fillers, additives, preservatives, and animal byproducts found in many commercial dog food brands.

This is fresh food. Ingredients are never processed.

Not only does Spot & Tango offer fresh dog food made with a blend of real ingredients, but its menu options are good for special diets and several food allergies and uphold the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) standards

Each meal is cooked to order with care, in small batches, just a few short days before it is delivered.

Spot & Tango offers three dog food recipes, suitable for puppies and grown up dogs:

• Turkey and red quinoa
  • Beef and millet
  • Lamb and brown rice

Based on what your dog needs, health-wise, as well as nutrition and caloric intake, meals can cost about $8+, which is $100+ per week’s supply and arrive in specially made containers just a few days after they were prepared.

If you don’t want to commit to the full plan, there is a Topper dog food delivery subscription to use on top of your dog’s regular food, to provide some of the benefits of its homemade dog food recipes without the full price.

Shipping and Subscriptions

Shipping is free and meals are shipped in biodegradable environmentally friendly boxes made from recycled paper. Meals are vacuum sealed and flash-frozen in food-safe pouches and include a best-if-used-by date.

Dog food subscriptions auto-renew, but customers can always contact to cancel or change their order by Thursday night at 11:59 p.m. EST.

This is more of a meal delivery service for dogs. The difference is that pet owners can’t really just order one meal or an ad-hoc order through the website.

Subscriptions can be canceled by contacting customer service, but you do have to submit the requests by Thursday night at 11:59 p.m. EST.

Menu Service

Spot & Tango uses a proprietary algorithm to see what recipe and nutrients your dog’s diet needs. It creates a unique, tailored meal plan for each pet.

However, you do have to fill out a quiz before it will share any pricing information because the meal recommendations are based on your dog’s breed, gender, age, weight, and activity level, among other data points.

You can even provide the date of your pet’s birthday to get a special present.

The Bad

• Service Area
  • Service Hours
  • Pricing Transparency

Service Area

If you live in Alaska or Hawaii, service isn’t available in your location. Try another dog food delivery service or wait for expansion to be planned for your area. The issue is probably shipping time because of the company’s emphasis on freshness.

Service Hours

Customer service is only available by phone Monday–Friday 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Eastern. However, for people unable to call during that time, email and an online message form are offered to connect with the service team.

Pricing Transparency

It's hard for dog owners to get a ballpark price without filling out a personalized quiz for each furry friend. For customers who don’t like to jump through hoops or play games, this may be a bit of a barrier. These people should know that this is a high market gourmet dog food product. You will spend hundreds of dollars each month. If that is out of your price range, you might not want to complete the form.

The Bottom Line

Spot & Tango’s dog food subscription is focused on health and wellness. It helps pet parents feed their dogs homemade style meals delivered in frozen, ready-to-serve meal packages. Each of the three recipes is approved for feeding dogs of all life stages. Customers receive fresh fruits, vegetables and meats in a biodegradable container at their door. Other dog food companies or even specialty meal delivery services don’t go to such great lengths.

With this emphasis on nutritional value and homemade quality preparation, this food for dogs is not cheap, but it is easy and good for your pup. Grain-free dog food is even offered in two out of three recipes. Prices start at $4+ per meal ($2 with the 50 percent off introductory offer) and that includes shipping. If you aren’t sure if you want to join this pet food delivery program, or even buy dog food online, you can get a 50 percent off offer for your 2-week trial.

1.9

Kristen Sievers ,

Also, like the below, did research and found this to be a great dog food for the price (while still a bit pricey). However this is the WORST customer service I have ever received- late deliveries, stock answer responses, no delivery updates. My food is currently 2 weeks late, but I keep receiving these sun-shiny responses like I should be so happy my food is late... this company kind of all around sucks. Your pet deserves better!!

Josh Payne Plano, TX

I was very excited to get my dog on their food program. I did quite a bit of research before deciding on Spot & Tango. Apparently I didn't do enough. I now see the reviews of people detailing the exact same issues I am having. To start off, my trial order didn't come with the scoop that was promised and there was no note regarding it or how much to feed my dog. Only after I inquired did I receive notice that they were out of scoops and I would get one with my next order. OK, minor slip up, but I was still all in on the Spot & Tango experience. After diving into the trial food I noticed the food was mostly powder/crumbs in 2 of the bags but even then I was still all in because maybe those were just bounced around a little too much and the next bags would be OK. Unfortunately, fast forward many weeks and I have never got that next order and yet my credit card was charged over a week ago. I cannot be depending on dog food that never comes and switching my dog back and forth on a whim. This is not in any way what I thought my experience would be with their company. They really had me snowed with the flashy website and the feel good reviews splashed all over the internet. I just want my money back at this point. I am so disappointed my new dog had to go through this.

Dorothy T Carol Stream, IL

My dog loves the UnKibble, but I was only trying out the trial version (plus an extra promo code) since I wanted to check it out. However, my current budget doesn't allow me to commit to the full price, but when I tried to cancel, I was having difficulty with the website. I tried emailing customer service, but they sent there "cancelling" process on their FAQ page, which I ALREADY LOOKED AT. Very untrustworthy when you can't adjust your plans or cancel like they say you can. EDIT: I emailed again with videos attached this time showing what was wrong with the website and I also messaged their Facebook page. In the end, they cancelled on their end and the problem was resolved, but I'm still wary of resubscribing in the future unless they fix their interface.

Zhongwei Liu Littleton, MA

Been a customer for over 2 years but cancelled my subscriptions recently. Two stars for the food quality. The food itself is decent, has fillers but overall good. But the company’s operation is troubled. My food orders are constantly delayed and the company has been using COVID-related issues as excuses. The purpose of having the subscription is to always have food on hand for my dog, but with S&T I’m constantly out of food. Customer service is extremely slow and is not empowered to provide good resolution. Will not recommend.

Melissa B Tampa, FL

If you'd like to deal with a lot of headaches, and a lot of back and forth emailing, this dog food company is for you. If not, avoid them! We signed up under one of their % off deals, thinking it would be a great idea for our dogs. We try to feed them the best food possible...but that gets pricey. This looked like a good option. I ordered food for both dogs...waited quite a while for the first order...and the first order was short by two bags (of the Unkibble). I emailed and they said they'd ship two more bags. Then, when we went to feed them...the scoop which was supposed to be included wasn't there--in either order! I emailed to find out how much to feed them, and the customer service agent couldn't help me. So, all in all, headaches. I won't order with them again.

Misug Yi Princeton Junction, NJ

I trialed their “unkibble” line and chose the beef recipe. My dog liked it and the food looked great so I continued my subscription and ordered the chicken recipe in addition to the beef. The chicken bag was a joke - the bag was mostly crumbs! I contacted customer service and it took a few days for someone to return my email. The response I received was a joke too - the service rep, “Kevin”, assured me that the food was safe, but acknowledged that my dog may not enjoy the texture so much and he said he was sorry. A replacement bag would’ve been a lot better than just an apology. I will try one of the many other fresh dog foods on the market with a much better customer service (hopefully)!

Rick New York, NY

Spot & Tango is amazing! I love how you can see all of the ingredients, and my dog goes crazy for it. The food always arrives on-time and frozen solid. I've also noticed their response times are a lot faster than they used to be -- Jessenia on their service team is awesome.

Amanda Elkridge, MD

I’ve had an amazing experience with spot and tango. The food quality is fantastic and costumer service always responds to my emails within an hour or 2. I’ve changed my quantity I receive, paused my order, edited what I receive and even the frequency of my order. I’m very happy with spot and tango.

Gowoon Park Brooklyn, NY

I've been subscribing Kibbles for 3 months. After the trial, the quality of food is totally different than is shown in Ad. The bag is full of crumbs, it doesn't look like the product shots in Ad AT ALL. Very few toppings, a few kibble-look like, and the rest is just crumbs. After 2nd try, I decided to unsubscribe and go somewhere else. If you are looking this place because of beautiful kibble product shot in ad, you'll get dissapointed.

dina A Brooklyn, NY

Terrible!!! They say they give you two weeks to trial the food but it takes a week to even get to you and then by time you pet even tried the food they say too bad trial over! They want $143 for one month of food for a 3 lb dog. There is never anyone to talk to and the owner picks and chooses when they want to talk to you. You’re better off with Petco fresh food. Half the price and more convenient to return.

smazze Cary, NC

Unfortunately I cannot speak to the quality of the food & if my dogs liked it or experienced improved health. But I can address customer service! Our very first trial shipment arrived thawed, warm, and with no sign of remaining ice. I contacted customer service within minutes of delivery and got an immediate auto response asking for 72 hours to respond as customer service was closed. So, I waited for their customer service hours to open before trying again and received a chat response asking me to allow 4 days for a response – that was it, that's not customer service. For what I'm looking at spending per month on dog food and I expect some sort of response to receiving food that is unusable.

Samantha Austin, TX

I was really pleased with the food quality from Spot & Tango. My pups loved it, the packaging it came in was efficient enough (two of the food packs had thawed entirely only 3 hours after delivery), and the ingredients from the turkey "food toppers" are a solid combination. That said, the reasoning behind the two star rating is due to customer care. If you are not needing to make any changes to your subscription such as a hold or a cancellation, Spot & Tango are great. However, if you need to make any edits to your food order or even if you need to simply reach customer service in a timely manner, I cannot recommend this group. Thankfully we live in a time where plenty of food subscription services for our beloved pets are available and, unfortunately, this one is pretty lackluster. After having an unfavorable interaction with Customer Care, there is nothing positive that stands out about S & T that other services don't offer.

Sienna Grimes Tampa, FL

I’m giving a two star because the food quality is good, the customer service and the cancellation policies are completely unreasonable. I decided to try spot and tango for my pup because he’s a picky eater, I received the two week trial kit and six days after receiving it I was already being charged for an auto subscription costing US$134 ... we were not even halfway into his trial period, I never agreed to an auto renewal subscription, I figured if he liked it then we would order more food when needed. So I figured no big deal, I will just contact the company and put the subscription on pause until we needed more food. I contacted spot and tango five days before the order was to be sent out and I was emailed back the following day saying that I could not stop the order that the food was already being prepared, they could not refund me. You cannot issue a refund for five days before the food is to be sent out? That is a ridiculous policy. Now I have a bad taste in my mouth about spot in tango in general, and I will not be using their services again. I’m also planning to leave my review of my experience on every possible review site I can, and I will be letting every other dog owner know that spot and tango are scammers. Shame on you spot and tango for doing this to your customers ( now that I am leaving my review I’m seeing that this has happened to many other people, not a good look S&T)

Jessica San Jose, CA

Placed order for 2 week trial. Received email confirmation saying order would ship in 1-3 days. It has now been 8 days and I have not even received a shipping confirmation as well as zero communication from the company other than spam ads. I have asked to have my account closed and future subscriptions canceled. They agreed to cancel my account and that was the end of the conversation. I noticed in the email confirming my cancellation it says as almost a side note that "I  do want to clarify that we are a subscription service, so after your 2-week trial your next order was automatically processed to ship two weeks later, as described in pre-purchase and post-purchase communications." I did not see this written anywhere when I originally signed up or made my purchase. This company will not refund me even though I have received nothing.

Nicole Danvers, MA

I got a coupon with hello fresh, food- dogs haven’t tried yet- my dogs have sensitive stomachs I like to believe because whenever I give them wet food of any kind they pretty much make a mess (gross). So I haven’t given it to them since I haven’t had time to stay home to make sure they’re okay. Ordered about 3 weeks ago and before my 2 week trial period was even up they charged me 168 for the following MONTH. I didn’t even have an account set up, dogs haven’t tried anything, didn’t know that’s the amount of it in full.... who pays 168 for dog food? I contacted them through fb messenger and emailed 2 times and still no response even to cancel my account that I NEVER had! I got charged yesterday so there is no way they’d already made the food so I really hope I get a refund I don’t even spend that much on myself for 2 weeks of food... lol...

Bulldog mom Selbyville, DE

Very disappointed. Wildly overpriced and terrible customer service. They sent me an email on March 30 saying I had 1 day to make changes. I immediately emailed them that day and told them due to a job loss during this covid19 pandemic I could not continue with their company. I only received 1 trial shipment from them. They emailed back later that day saying it was too late to make changes. I paid $104 for 14 packs of food. That’s an average of $7.42 per meal. I don’t even spend that on myself at this point. Totally inflexible company and very disappointing.

Jena DellaGrottaglia-Maldonado Canyon Country, CA

All in all I’m really pleased with both the food and the customer service . In fact they have been quite friendly and helpful .

Renee North Royalton, OH

Poor customer service. They wouldn't allow me to cancel my subscription so I was charged over $300 for a month's supply of dog food. Insanely over priced. Instead of addressing my concerns they kept sending generic emails. Would not recommend their product to anyone!

Rachel

My dog does not like the food. It is impossible to cancel on their website. I have emailed to no avail to have my subscription cancelled. Very, very disappointed in their service.

Alex New York, NY

Misleading pricing and they erase negative reviews on their social media platforms.