Chewy Logo

Chewy

8.0

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

When choosing the perfect dog food for your pup, many pet owners find themselves overwhelmed. It can be challenging to know which brand, type of food, and nutrients your dog needs. Fortunately, Chewy carries a variety of premium dog food and dog treats. Whether your dog needs basic kibble, grain-free, or prescription dog food, Chewy is likely to have what you need.

Chewy's overall mission is to become the most trusted and convenient online destination for pet lovers and its partners — vets and service providers.

The Good

• Variety of Dog Food
  • Save with Autoship
  • Competitive Pricing
  • 24/7 Customer Service

Variety of Dog Food

Chewy's greatest strength is its vast selection of products. Merely searching for dog food will bring up over 3,800 results. If this number seems overwhelming, you can quickly narrow down the options by filtering your search. You can filter your search by type of food (dry, wet, raw, frozen, etc.), brand, required diet, life stage, breed size, food flavor, health feature, packaging type, texture, price, and customer ratings.

We applaud Chewy for offering such an extensive selection of dog food. This makes it super easy for dog owners to find exactly what they need. It doesn't matter if your precious pup needs a grain-free, high-protein, shredded chicken mix for their sensitive stomach; you're more likely to find it at Chewy than your local supermarket.

Save with Autoship

If you plan on ordering dog food regularly, then we recommend checking out Chewy's auto-ship program. The program is completely free, and on your first order, you'll save 30 percent (after that, you'll save 5 percent). You can choose the delivery frequency and easily change, cancel, or reschedule shipments at any time.

The auto-ship program is excellent for anyone with pets, but especially those with a busy lifestyle. No longer do you have to worry about remembering to buy dog food at the grocery store, worry about lifting/carrying the bag into your home, or scouring the newspaper looking for coupons.

Competitive Pricing

Not only does Chewy offer numerous sales and daily deals, but its regularly priced items are competitive. Many of our reviewers were happy with Chewy's prices, stating that they were extremely reasonable (especially for the quality of the products) and often cheaper than local pet stores and supermarkets. Plus, if you spend over $49, you'll get free shipping. However, if you don't plan on spending that much, all other orders ship for a flat rate of $4.95.

24/7 Customer Service

It's tough to find a company that parallels Chewy's customer service. The company is consistently praised for its knowledgeable and accommodating staff. Plus, Chewy is notorious for sending out handwritten notes with humorous pet puns, birthday cards, and some customers have even received a painting of their pet along with their order.

The Bad

Shipping Limitations

While most of what Chewy.com does is at a high-quality level, the company lacks a few things. There is no shipping available outside of the contiguous United States.

Chewy does not ship to Hawaii, Alaska, any other U.S. territories, Canada, or any other country.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we highly recommend Chewy for your dog food needs. The company's extensive product selection is perfect for even the pickiest of eaters. If you're unsure or feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the choices, simply call Chewy's customer service line. The company has been highly praised for its customer service. And a company representative will gladly help you find the perfect dog food for your pup. Of course, you should always speak to your veterinarian before to ensure your dog is getting the nutrients it needs. Currently, Chewy doesn't ship to anywhere else other than the contingent United States, and there is no mention of whether that will change.

4.8

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Our pets love Chewy! Not to mention the food is healthy and they love it, but also the toys and treats that come along with it. It is inexpensive and makes our dogs so happy. We definitely recommend this company.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

Wish I could give more than 5 stars. Chewy has always had A+ customer service and we are long-time customers. One of our cats, a 17 yr-old gray tabby named Lucy, was in declining health with kidney issues and lymphoma. She passed away Wed 5-19-21 while we held her in our arms. I had recently ordered more "potty pads" because she had been missing the litter box, but now had no need of them. I called Chewy to see if they would refund our purchase and spoke to an angel of a customer service representative named Haley (I believe she was in Texas). She could not have been kinder or more empathetic. She refunded our previous order in full and told me not to worry about sending back the product but to donate it to an animal shelter. She said Chewy considers their pet owner customers as extended family and wanted to help by making the disposition and refund of my unneeded items as easy as possible. And within the week, a beautiful vase of flowers arrived at our door from Haley and Chewy with a handwritten note expressing their condolences and sorrow at our loss. We have never before had a business be so thoughtful and go so far to ease our sorrow as we experienced with Chewy and Haley.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have a little Lhasa Apso dog that will eat pretty much anything that falls on the floor. When I first go him he responded will to treats as positive reinforcement. The treats I bought from Chewys were both priced well and healthy. Highly recommend :)

Cassidy Lucas Olney, MD

My mom buys our dogs food off of this company and the food always comes on time and they will always pack a cute little toy for your furry friend.the one and only down side is that sometimes they are out of stock if it’s late it the mouth.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

Chewy had wonderful toys for my cats and dogs that I ordered online. Not only do they have toys but they also have pet foods. When I didn't want to get out my house and go to pet-co to get my pets new pet toys I just ordered online on Chewy. They had the same food plans I use for my pets in the online store which I loved.

Kori Travis Tallahassee, FL

My dog absolutely loves this food. They also have a variety of flavors and nutrients to choose from

Marniwho ,

We use to use another service for our pet food delivery but then we found Chewy. The experience has been great! I can pause my monthly orders, or easily add in a special treat for my pups. I had to call CS when I messed up an order and they were great at figuring out what I had done and making it right.

Sandy Wight Lynnwood, WA

Chewy is top notch. We had just received a big bunch of dog food from Chewy and then our dog passed away. We called Chewy and they were so nice. They said donate the food to a shelter and we will give you a 100% refund. What a great company!

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Chewy makes it super easy to purchase pet food and other products for your animals. I trust them to provide me with quality at an affordable price!

CJ Milke Olney, MD

I order almost all of my dogs food from chewy. My god really likes the food. The delivery is very quick and the delivery person was very nice.

Sarah Mercival Tallahassee, FL

Chewy is a great place to buy dog food for a reasonable price. I also love that they send your fur baby a box of goodies monthly. It’s always something my dog looks forward to

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Quick and easy access to great brand of dog food. Shipping minimums for free shipping are easy to hit and they always arrive in a timely manner so our dog isn't ever without food.

Victoria Fayetteville, AR

As a new dog owner, I was kind of confused when it came to what products were best for my dog until I came across this website. It is so great and easy to find the things I need and also set up where the product ships every few months for things such as dog food. It really helped me!

Natalie Brown Boulder, CO

Chewy is a great company and has some very good products. I have yet to buy anything from chewy and be disappointed. Their prices are also very nice and I find them being less than in-person pet stores. Their delivery is also on point and extremely fast! They also have a policy where if you buy over $50 worth of items the shipping is free and your things are delivered in 1-2 days! I have used chewy numerous times for dog food, and other needed animal supplies. I will keep using them even after this review!

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

The food is good, and the delivery is always on time! Plus, the delivery/simplicity is just what I need!

Taylor Larson Pho Thale, 66

I love how I was able to talk to an expert from Chewy about the type of dog food that my dog needs. The delivery was slower than I expected, however.

Jessica Mendez Clarksburg, MD

This company is very sweet. They send birthday cards for pets, replace lost or damaged items, and donate to shelters nationwide.

Dominique Denver, CO

We order all of our dog food from Chewy. It is an easy to use site and delivers food right to our door in a timely fashion. This has been especially useful during COVID, allowing for one less trip to the store.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Chewy's online shopping experience is wonderful and it has a large variety of products for all of your dog's needs. Chewy is also decently priced. They also many name-brand dog foods that are tailored for your dog's specific needs.

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

Super Great app, they offer amazing discounts! I order so many treats and goodies for my new pup with Chewy and I am super satisfied. They really helped me get this new pet parent thing down! Definitely recommend to all pet owners!

Jada Scott Norman, OK

I love chewy! If youre a pet parent and want to stock up on your pets favorite foods and treats while not doing broke? Chewy is just for you. They even send postcards and etc for your animals birthday. You cannot beat the prices.

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

Chewy is my absolute favorite. I love having access to so many products and brands. I feel like they care about my pet as much as I do. The prices are comparable to other retail stores and the convenience of online shopping and free delivery is amazing.

Wally Orem, UT

Free shipping. I’m all about not having to lug dog food around. Coupons too.

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

GREAT customer service for our dog food and supply needs. Highly recommend auto-delivery.

KKin Preston, ID

We've ordered our special dog food through Chewy and have been very happy with the results. The dog food has been delivered quickly and safely

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I think the toys at Chewy are super cute. They are durable. The food is also good. The problem comes in at the price tag. I am a college student with a dog, and ordering the food from amazon is just way cheaper.

Saranie Wahlen Eagle Mountain, UT

Chewy has high quality products and we usually get our packages within a day of ordering them. This is a great company to order from when you have pets.

Lori Claassen Herriman, UT

I am so happy I found Chewy.com! It makes it soo convenient to do their auto shipment! You can set or change the auto shipment any time and it’s great! My cats always have food and litter right on time!

Rilynne Edwards Pleasant Grove, UT

We use Chewy for both of my dogs. Their website is easy to use, and the food is always great quality. The shipments come on a schedule made by you, so you'll never be short on dog food.

Jim Ellicott City, MD

I buy everything I need for my dog from chewy. Quick and easy. Delivery is always on time.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

Love my autodelivdry option for my dog food. It arrives on time, and I can change or cancel as needed.

Sandy West Valley City, UT

I've actually used chewy's website to buy cool care for my clippers they're the only ones who've had them in stock. Shipping is always on time.

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

I love using chewy! When I got my first pup I was able to order everything I needed for her! The app also offers great discounts to new members!

Makenna Romano Brea, CA

We have been buying food for my dog for a while now and he loves it. There pricing and shipping is great. I highly recommend chewy.

Erin Glendening Gonzales, LA

Chewy is fairly priced, and prompt with their delivery. You can even set it to deliver on a schedule, it’s perfect for dogs with allergies. Food is always fresh.

Landon Edwards Pleasant Grove, UT

The food is very good quality. It ships quickly, and is worth your money. Our dogs love the food, and we love the options of toys and clothing on their site.

Madison Scott Pleasant Grove, UT

Chewy is great. The prices are the same, comparable to Walmart. But you also can do automatic shipping and its free! So you really don't have to give it much thought. It's awesome.

James Stone Manchester, MD

Great place to find supplies for your pet. Quick and easy to order and delivery is easy.

Jwat1213 Mount Airy, MD

Great prices and fast shipping. They also have a great selection of dog food

Cdavid , MO

I was able to find a dog kennel that I was looking for at a reasonable price. I love their selection.

Joey shimko Folsom, LA

It is great I found dog food for cheap and they shiped it to my house so I did not have to go to the store to go get it.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

Not only do I always order my dog's food from chewy, but I order his toys and beds from here too! Very reliable customer service.

Deborah integlia Bedford, NH

I so love this company! They have most everything you can imagine for your pet. Their service is tops and I so appreciate the free shipping.

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

Chewy has always been quick with delivering my dogs food and I have not had any issues with my dogs having reactions to the foods. The prices are reasonable as well.

Kilee Wagner Eagle Mountain, UT

Chewy has the best customer service. We had a product that wasn't working and they shipped a new one to us with 1 day shipping!

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Chewy is my favorite pet site. It’s so easy to find what I need for my dog and not overpriced. I always spend enough for free shipping.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Chewy is seriously awesome! I love all of the different brands available for my cat and dog. The videos are the best when brands describe their food.

Jada Guzman Tampa, FL

Great products! Super fast shipping and very laid out terms and conditions of products

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

I like to use Chewy when I need a more obscure pet product. They have almost everything a dog could want.

Dayna Riverton, UT

Chewy is an amazing online pet supply company. Their shipping is super fast and their return policy is amazing.