Blue Buffalo, also styled BLUE, is a pet food company founded in 2002 by William Bishop. It is named for Bishop’s Airedale, Blue, and is the best-selling natural specialty pet food in the country. While the company makes food for dogs and cats, this review will focus on its dog food options.

While many dog food companies use fillers or artificial preservatives, Blue Buffalo products exclude the following from its recipes:

• Artificial flavors or preservatives
  • Corn
  • Poultry by-products
  • Soy
  • Wheat

At bluebuffalo.com, you can browse through over 230 dog food options by filtering for the following:

• Life stage — puppy food, adult dog food, and formulas specifically for senior or mature dogs
  • Breed size — toy and small, standard, large
  • Dry or wet dog food
  • Special formulas for allergies and special diets
  • Type of packaging (for wet food) — canned, trays, pouches, tubs

All products are manufactured in the United States, except the BLUE Chomp ‘n Chew treats, which are made in Ireland. Blue Buffalo products can be purchased at retailers nationwide, as well as online retailers like Amazon, PetFlow, Chewy, and PetFood.com.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus dog food reviews from consumers who used Blue Buffalo products.

#1 NomNomNow chevron_right
#2 Pupford chevron_right
#3 Purina Pet Foods chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Variety of Food Options
  • Natural Ingredients
  • Satisfaction Guarantee
  • LifeSource Bits

Variety of Food Options

Blue Buffalo dog food offers several different product lines with different recipes and features, including the following:

• BLUE Basics — limited ingredient diet for sensitive tummies, food allergies. Grain-free option available. The Blue Buffalo Basics line excludes corn, dairy, eggs, and wheat.
  • BLUE Freedom — A grain-free product line with over 20 products, including dry food and canned dog food
  • BLUE Life Protection Formula — wet and dry dog food, and treats with all-natural meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit. Formulated for different life stages, and different options for toy breed, small breed, and large breed dogs.
  • BLUE Natural Veterinary Diet — formulated for health issues
  • BLUE Wilderness — grain-free, meat lovers, higher protein content. Specially formulated for life stage and breed size. Comes in dry kibble, canned, trays, pouches, treats, jerky, and bones.

Natural Ingredients

While BLUE isn’t a meal-delivery service, and doesn’t cost as much as one, it does offer food with healthy nutritional value, including ingredients like fresh fruits and vegetables, grain-free dog food options, and the following animal protein flavors:

• Beef
  • Halibut
  • Alligator
  • Catfish

Satisfaction Guarantee

Every BLUE product comes with a satisfaction guarantee. If you (or your pup) aren’t 100 percent happy, you can return the product, with a receipt for a full refund.

LifeSource Bits

Blue Buffalo dry food contains exclusive LifeSource Bits. These contain veterinarian and animal nutritionist-developed blends of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They are specially formulated for your pet’s life stage (puppy, adult dogs, and mature dogs) and help his or her immune system and oxidative balance.

The following specialized supplemental morsels are cold-formed to retain nutritional value, especially of fat-soluble vitamins:

• Alfalfa
  • Taurine
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin D
  • Vitamin E
  • Yucca Schidigera Extract

The Bad

No Samples

Unfortunately, you can’t order samples to see if your dog will like it.

However, consumers and picky eaters alike benefit from the 100 percent satisfaction guarantee offered by BLUE. If you or your dog aren’t satisfied, the unused portion can be returned with your receipt for a refund.

The Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo offers a variety of natural high-quality dog food with a focus on balanced nutrition. With over 200 products, Blue Buffalo has specialized formulas for your pet, depending on its size and stage of life, as well as dietary restrictions and other nutritional needs and wants.

Check out our Blue Buffalo reviews below to see if it is a good choice for your dog’s diet.

Madison Scott
September 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I wanted the best for my sweet dog so I sought out Blue Buffalo. I most definitely didn't think this was worth the price. I saw no difference in my dog whether or not he ate this product. Too pricey!

Lindsay Clabaugh
September 16th, 2019 Wichita, KS DETAILS

Great quality, easy on dog bellies, and has the best composition of food for the price

ave
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Do not like! It made my dog so sick. it shouldn't be used on really any animal .

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 30th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

Blue Buffalo is a great dog food that I feel like I can trust. I have never had any problems with it.

Sage Robertson
July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I cannot say enough good things about this dog food. Our dog has used this from day one. She is a wonderful and energetic dog, and this food provides her with the nutrients and energy she needs to stay active.

Skye Jensen
July 5th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

My old dog that died on my birthday from diabetes used to love to eat Blue Buffalo so i think it is pretty good. Also she didn’t get diabetes from Blue Buffalo i think it was just because she was a miniature schnauzer.

Chloe Adams
June 25th, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS

Unfortunately Blue buffalo was not a hit with our canines. We normally use a different product but our local store was out and thought we would give Blue Bison a try based off of there commercials and pretty packaging. Hours after ingestion our dogs were sick. Maybe it was just bad luck, but we won’t be using This product again.

Jason
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I don't prefer to buy this brand of dog food because my dog just didn't seem to enjoy it.

Brooke Herbon
June 20th, 2019 Kaysville, UT

Bought this on sale, not my favorite dog food but still a good option! My dog definitely still ate this. Didn’t love the ingredients.

Tracy Hill
June 20th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I love buying this brand of dog food for my dog. I love being able to recognize the ingredients they use and knowing that my dog will be healthy and happy because he eats this dog food.

Anna Lower
June 17th, 2019 Saint George, UT

Good quality food with all the nutrients that’s dog needs without all the bad stuff

Maryn skinner
June 13th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

After hearing many good things, switched to Blue Buffalo a few months ago and have seen huge changes in my pup! He is losing weight and is so energetic. He loves his food and always leaves a empty bowl.

Nicholas
June 12th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

Blue Buffalo has good food for your dog. It uses natural wholesome ingredients that my dog loves such as chicken flavor. My dog always gets excited when I bring blue buffalo food home. Thank you.

Teresa LeBaron
June 6th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL DETAILS

Our puppy loved this dog good. Unfortunately got too expensive for us so we discontinued using. But great quality and product!

Rylie Crandall
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I bought Blue Buffalo for my puppy and I was glad that I could feel good about what I was feeding him.

Nicole LeBaron
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

We bought this brand to try for our dog. She loved it. She was always content after she eats! It’s a great dog food brand. Bought it a couple more times for our dog.

Ryann Henneberger
May 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Have loved this food brand for our dogs!!! They seem to love it and the benefits have been great!

Sam
May 24th, 2019 Logan, UT

Very good, my dog seemed to like it, also another plus is that there is no horrid smell.

Reese
May 17th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have bought Blue Buffalo pet food, dog food for my Shitzu and they have it special for smaller dogs. He liked the taste and didn't get tired of it and was always so excited when it was time to eat. seemed to have more energy and looked better. fur was shiny and nice and it didn't smell bad.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I had always heard a lot of good things about Blue Buffalo from friends that buy it for their dogs. It wasn't until I actually bought it that I realized just how good it was for my dog. Her coat is healthier than ever and her stomach issues have went away completely. The price is well worth the benefits.

hailey
May 7th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

My puppy has been on this brand since she was about 2 months. It is very healthy and has kept her growing properly. I still have her on it and plan to keep her on it!