Blue Buffalo Logo

7.6

Blue Buffalo, also styled BLUE, is a pet food company founded in 2002 by William Bishop. It is named for Bishop’s Airedale, Blue, and is the best-selling natural specialty pet food in the country. While the company makes food for dogs and cats, this review will focus on its dog food options.

While many dog food companies use fillers or artificial preservatives, Blue Buffalo products exclude the following from its recipes:

• Artificial flavors or preservatives
  • Corn
  • Poultry by-products
  • Soy
  • Wheat

At bluebuffalo.com, you can browse through over 230 dog food options by filtering for the following:

• Life stage — puppy food, adult dog food, and formulas specifically for senior or mature dogs
  • Breed size — toy and small, standard, large
  • Dry or wet dog food
  • Special formulas for allergies and special diets
  • Type of packaging (for wet food) — canned, trays, pouches, tubs

All products are manufactured in the United States, except the BLUE Chomp ‘n Chew treats, which are made in Ireland. Blue Buffalo products can be purchased at retailers nationwide, as well as online retailers like Amazon, PetFlow, Chewy, and PetFood.com.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus dog food reviews from consumers who used Blue Buffalo products.

Chewy Logo
#2 Chewy chevron_right
4.8
Purina Pet Foods Logo
#3 Purina Pet Foods chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Food Options
  • Natural Ingredients
  • Satisfaction Guarantee
  • LifeSource Bits

Variety of Food Options

Blue Buffalo dog food offers several different product lines with different recipes and features, including the following:

• BLUE Basics — limited ingredient diet for sensitive tummies, food allergies. Grain-free option available. The Blue Buffalo Basics line excludes corn, dairy, eggs, and wheat.
  • BLUE Freedom — A grain-free product line with over 20 products, including dry food and canned dog food
  • BLUE Life Protection Formula — wet and dry dog food, and treats with all-natural meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit. Formulated for different life stages, and different options for toy breed, small breed, and large breed dogs.
  • BLUE Natural Veterinary Diet — formulated for health issues
  • BLUE Wilderness — grain-free, meat lovers, higher protein content. Specially formulated for life stage and breed size. Comes in dry kibble, canned, trays, pouches, treats, jerky, and bones.

Natural Ingredients

While BLUE isn’t a meal-delivery service, and doesn’t cost as much as one, it does offer food with healthy nutritional value, including ingredients like fresh fruits and vegetables, grain-free dog food options, and the following animal protein flavors:

• Beef
  • Halibut
  • Alligator
  • Catfish

Satisfaction Guarantee

Every BLUE product comes with a satisfaction guarantee. If you (or your pup) aren’t 100 percent happy, you can return the product, with a receipt for a full refund.

LifeSource Bits

Blue Buffalo dry food contains exclusive LifeSource Bits. These contain veterinarian and animal nutritionist-developed blends of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They are specially formulated for your pet’s life stage (puppy, adult dogs, and mature dogs) and help his or her immune system and oxidative balance.

The following specialized supplemental morsels are cold-formed to retain nutritional value, especially of fat-soluble vitamins:

• Alfalfa
  • Taurine
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin D
  • Vitamin E
  • Yucca Schidigera Extract

The Bad

No Samples

Unfortunately, you can’t order samples to see if your dog will like it.

However, consumers and picky eaters alike benefit from the 100 percent satisfaction guarantee offered by BLUE. If you or your dog aren’t satisfied, the unused portion can be returned with your receipt for a refund.

The Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo offers a variety of natural high-quality dog food with a focus on balanced nutrition. With over 200 products, Blue Buffalo has specialized formulas for your pet, depending on its size and stage of life, as well as dietary restrictions and other nutritional needs and wants.

Check out our Blue Buffalo reviews below to see if it is a good choice for your dog’s diet.

Kandi Morrill Aurora, CO

We switched to Blue Buffalo when we noticed that our 4 year old Goldendoodle was having digestive problems. Since switching, he is less gassy, and we can tell he feels much better, His coat is shiny, soft, and pretty. such great food that we switched both of our dogs.

MikeS Toronto, ON

My dog loves his Blue Buffalo food. He used free feed and not eat a lot. With bullet buffalo he’s excited for every meal!

Nell Damascus, MD

My veterinarian did not think it was a good product because of the high pea protein being related to heart disease in dogs

Emma Fairbanks Payson, UT

My dog Gus eats blue Buffalo and he loves it! I like how healthy it is and that it is a family owned company

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Blue Buffalo makes great treats for dog training. The bags are pretty small for how expensive they are, however. There's plenty of other serviceable brands that are cheaper.

Ashley Ulibarri Sandy, UT

After researching a lot about dog food a settled on picking Blue Buffalo for their straight forward ingredients. There food is not full of fillers. I like the many flavor options and so does my pup.

My dog loves this product. I also love the fact that they are available to purchase from big box stores (Sams Club as well as Smaller stores in my neighborhood). It seems to be the right size bites for my small dog as well as there treats seem to be the preference from other treats we have tried in the past. Outside of table food of course. The cost per bag is also reasonable.

Jen Smithfield, UT

Our puppy loved Blue Buffalo! That's all we used from the day we got her. She loved the puppy food as well as all the training treats.

Tagg Ogden, UT

Blue buffalo makes some amazing, healthy, organic pet foods that allows my animals to be as healthy as they can be. I really trust them with the health of my animals.

Abby Stubbs Brigham City, UT

We used the wilderness blend for our puppy and she loved it. She would eat anything so we decided to give her a healthy choice on food. Her growth was on track and she had a shiny coat as a puppy.

Jon Moreno Sandy, UT

We started our German Shepherd on Blue Buffalo as a puppy and he loved it, they use real ingredients and not all the fillers other companies use in their products!

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

With two energetic golden doodles, our vet recommended Blue Buffalo. We usually mix Blue Buffalo with a small amount of wet food and our dogs have had no problems. They are about a year and half year old now and very healthy!

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

This is the only stuff our dog will eat. When we first got our puppy he wouldn't eat. Come to find out that he just didn't like the stuff that the breeder sent with him. A neighbor recommended Blue Buffalo. Once he tried this stuff, his eating disorder was cured. Thanks for making the good stuff!

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Blue Buffalo has better ingredients and a better outlook at pet nutrition. Its not just dry kibble, it is so much more taste and health for our dog. Great alternative to dry sawdust that other brands offer. Real nutrition, and healthy ingredients are common place for Blue Buffalo.

Braylyn Linford Saratoga Springs, UT

I had a very picky pup. I tried many different foods that he would not touch. Blue Buffalo had a guarantee that even the pickiest dog will love it and he did!! I just wish it wasn’t so pricey but definitely gave my puppy all the nutrients he needed. He is a healthy strong 80lb dog now!

Lorna Johnston West Valley City, UT

We have four little dogs and when we got the first two, I really wanted to get good dog food for them. The salesperson at the pet store recommended Blue Buffalo and we have used it for nearly 10 years. Our pets have overalls good health and I believe it is largely because of the quality dog food.

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

My dog is a very picky eater and its been difficult to find a dog food brand that she likes. I found she not only loves this brand but she's more energetic, seems happier and seems to enjoy her food more on this brand. Ever since I switched over I've been so happy with this brand

Monica Dobbins Wichita, KS

Overall this is a great dog food. Our dog absolutely loved it. Even the dog we would dog sit, preferred it to their regular food. This was the number 1 recommended food by our vet and I can definitely see why. High quality ingredients!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have bought Blue Buffalo pet food, dog food for my Shitzu and they have it special for smaller dogs. He liked the taste and didn't get tired of it and was always so excited when it was time to eat. seemed to have more energy and looked better. fur was shiny and nice and it didn't smell bad.

Dean Ogden, UT

I had always heard a lot of good things about Blue Buffalo from friends that buy it for their dogs. It wasn't until I actually bought it that I realized just how good it was for my dog. Her coat is healthier than ever and her stomach issues have went away completely. The price is well worth the benefits.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

Blue Buffalo is a little expensive, but my dog loves it. I use their "stew" type food. It is a little expensive.

Dayna Riverton, UT

Blue buffalo makes amazing gourmet food for my pets. I feel confident feeding it to them for them to be the healthiest they can be.

Mia miga7440 Littleton, CO

My pitbull loves their food! It’s made with amazing ingredients, and keeps my dog happy and energized. Even with his sensitive stomach, hes doing very well. I highly recommend this dog food.

Kimi Bayles West Valley City, UT

The only brand I feel comfortable and safe giving my two dogs. I know my boys are getting the best with every scoop! I feel confident they are getting all their nutrients without any fillers!

Greg West Valley City, UT

I have bought Blue Buffalo for our four little dogs for 10 years. It was recommended by an employee of a pet store. Our dogs are still healthy and doing very well. It is a bit pricier than some of the more common brands but it is worth it for the health of our little dogs.

Melanie Johnston Las Vegas, NV

I have been using Blue Buffalo for several years and fine that both my dogs are healthy and happy. They are not over weight and still act like puppies at times, even though they are both over 10 years old.

J Connelly Saratoga Springs, UT

Our dog is a picky eater! Weird I know. We wanted to stay with a healthier dog food and tried 2 other ones before Blue Buffalo. He loves it and we like that it is good for him!

Hailey Moody Austin, TX

I purchased Blue Buffalo’s dry food for my dog for about a year with the thought that this is one of the better affordable dog brands. Unfortunately, this caused problems with his digestive health and weight and I had to switch to a more expensive specialty food. This being said, I do know many dog owners who have had good experiences with this brand and I do think it is a good option for some who are looking for an easily accessible dog food brand.

Mickey Wilson Sacramento, CA

Blue Buffalo is more expensive than other dog foods but the quality is worth it in my opinion. After switching dog foods I’ve noticed our old boy has a lot more energy, his eyes look clearer, and his coat is shinier

Raúl Galeano Elkridge, MD

Six years ago I have a little bichon frise, and I always had problems with his hair, for three years the veterinarian recommended the Blue Buffalo food and that's not just his hair improving, but also his whole body.

Taylor Walker Tallahassee, FL

Blue Buffalo is so good for dogs. My dog loves his food every time. It is both very healthy and easy to eat for my dog. There is also a different variety of types of Blue Buffalo for dogs.

Wendy Liu Bethesda, MD

Above-average protein. Near-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food. Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a grain-free, dry dog food using a notable amount of named meat meals as its main source of animal protein. Everything is noticeably fresh and my pomeranian loves it!

Gail Clarks Summit, PA

Both of our dogs really like the dog treats by Blue Buffalo. They are tasty and they are always looking for more. Thank you for making such a great product for my golden doodles.

Sage Robertson Cedar City, UT

I cannot say enough good things about this dog food. Our dog has used this from day one. She is a wonderful and energetic dog, and this food provides her with the nutrients and energy she needs to stay active.

Maryn skinner Gilbert, AZ

After hearing many good things, switched to Blue Buffalo a few months ago and have seen huge changes in my pup! He is losing weight and is so energetic. He loves his food and always leaves a empty bowl.

Nicholas Lake Villa, IL

Blue Buffalo has good food for your dog. It uses natural wholesome ingredients that my dog loves such as chicken flavor. My dog always gets excited when I bring blue buffalo food home. Thank you.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

I used to feed my dog Blue Buffalo because they said real meat was used and I was good with paying more expensive prices. Then it was found out they were using by-product meat and I immediately stopped using it. Will never purchase blue buffalo after being lied to.

Ellie Cheyenne, WY

These ingredients are quality and I know they’re always healthy for my dog! She’s so energetic and playful thanks to this great source of everything she needs!

Oc11 Miami, FL

Their marketing is good, I thought it was the best food out there. I’ve read mixed reviews recently about quality. Not really sure anymore, I switched now.

russbayles West Valley City, UT

Have used Blue Buffalo since my two dogs were puppies. They love the chicken and rice flavor and love that they have puppy to grown bags and ones that are small bites for smaller breeds.

Melanie Rio Rancho, NM

I love Blue Buffalo. I have used it for my dogs and for my cats. The ingredients are quality ingredients and my animals have always loved eating Blue Buffalo!

Skye Jensen Hyrum, UT

My old dog that died on my birthday from diabetes used to love to eat Blue Buffalo so i think it is pretty good. Also she didn’t get diabetes from Blue Buffalo i think it was just because she was a miniature schnauzer.

Chloe Adams Morgan, UT

Unfortunately Blue buffalo was not a hit with our canines. We normally use a different product but our local store was out and thought we would give Blue Bison a try based off of there commercials and pretty packaging. Hours after ingestion our dogs were sick. Maybe it was just bad luck, but we won’t be using This product again.

Tracy Hill Draper, UT

I love buying this brand of dog food for my dog. I love being able to recognize the ingredients they use and knowing that my dog will be healthy and happy because he eats this dog food.

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

We bought this brand to try for our dog. She loved it. She was always content after she eats! It’s a great dog food brand. Bought it a couple more times for our dog.

hailey Gilbert, AZ

My puppy has been on this brand since she was about 2 months. It is very healthy and has kept her growing properly. I still have her on it and plan to keep her on it!

Matthew Hall Moselle, MS

Works for all of my animals, even the dogs with stomach issues react beautifully to blue buffalos food products!

Dorrie2001 , GA

My dog loves this and won’t eat anything else. Super safe for my dog. Thank you for making sure my fur babies are eating good!

Larson Riverton, UT

When I buy blue Buffalo dog food, my dogs go crazy for it. They love it so much. It is full of healthy things for dogs.

Toni Hasson Salem, UT

My Ziggy, dog - will only eat blue buffalo dog food! The price for a case is reasonable and my local store always has it available