Personal Trainer Food

6.8

LAST UPDATED: January 20th, 2022

After its founding in 2012 by Mike Starks, Personal Trainer Food (PTF) became a household name in the weight loss industry. Starks created this product after helping his wife lose a significant amount of weight by eating healthier foods. Today, Personal Trainer Food suggests that people can lose 20 pounds in just four weeks if they are willing to try following one of its healthy meal plans. Frozen meals can be ordered online and are easily stored in the freezer until it is time to eat.

Each weight loss program, or diet plan, has its own formula for weight loss. PTF focuses its weight loss plan 90 percent on food, and 10 percent on exercise. Its meals are high in protein and focused on introducing whole foods into your diet. Its menu options are broken down by breakfasts (mainly meat and eggs), entrees (meat and vegetables), vegetable sides, and snacks (nuts, seeds, meat, cheese, and shakes).

PTF has been reviewed and received press from a number of large media outlets including Forbes, Food Network, Fox News, CBS News, and more.

The Good

• Meal Plan Process
  • Menu Options
  • Weight Loss Meal Plans
  • Variety of Menu Items
  • Discounts and Coupons
  • Access to Coaches and Health Experts

Meal Plan Process

Do you find it hard to eat healthy because you don’t have the desire or knowledge to cook healthy foods? Personal Trainer Food has a number of options and features to help you successfully find and order food online that will help you maintain a healthier lifestyle.

• Online ordering — One of the great advantages of using Personal Trainer Food as a weight loss product provider, is that all of your ordering can be done online. All you need to do is go to the company website and select the foods and amounts of food that you would like to receive.
  • Personalized plans — For those who struggle to establish a weight loss plan, this program helps you work with a health professional to establish a customized plan that should work for your body.
  • Simplicity — Many customers enjoy the simplicity of this program. No matter how hard it is for you to start a diet, this program helps you to stick to a strict eating regimen.

Menu Options

Personal Trainer Food has over 75 different meal/snack options for you to choose from. The majority of foods provided by PTF are high in protein and should keep you full for longer periods of time than the majority of other foods. Food options are categorized into the following categories: breakfast, entrées, vegetables, and snacks.

Weight Loss Meal Plans

If you are interested in investing in one of PTF’s weight loss plans, you will want to select the one that best adheres to your budget and your lifestyle. The following meal plan payment plans are currently available:

• REV! — The REV! program was created for those who would like to lose weight quickly. It is considered to be an extreme fat-burning and accelerated weight loss plan. Some inclusions with this plan are daily email support, one-on-one weight loss coaching, a water bottle, weekly weight loss calls, a tape measure, and a lunch kit. The average cost for this plan is about $16 per day.
  • Core — The Core plan is perfect for those who would like to have lunch and dinner taken care of with the constant support of a weight loss coach. If you decide to use this plan, you will be charged an average of $14 per day for your lunch and dinner and will have access to email support and personal coaching with a weight loss coach.
  • You Choose — Personal Trainer Food is aware that life can become very busy. In order to provide options for people who may not have a lot of time or who are looking for something more flexible, PTF created the You Choose plan. This plan allows you to choose whatever meals you would like for any day that you would like. You may combine any breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack foods that you would like as you build out your weekly menu. This plan usually costs about $16 per day.

Variety of Menu Items

One challenge with a number of weight loss product providers is a lack of variety. PTF has been able to overcome this challenge by providing over 100 different meal options for customers. New items are being added regularly to ensure that customers do not grow tired of PTF meals.

Discounts and Coupons

Personal Trainer Food offers a number of discounts and coupons throughout the year. If you are looking for discounts, you may want to check on Groupon or Amazon as they both have PTF on their sites. Make sure that you check for discounts before checking out.

Access to Coaches and Health Experts

Many customers feel that having access to a weight loss coach during their time with PTF is helpful. They feel that they are able to ask hard questions and get qualified answers. Weight loss coaches also help keep people motivated to stick to their plan and avoid processed foods.

If you are interested in finding out more about these weight loss coaches, you can find more information online or talk to a customer service representative on the website’s chat bot.  PTF also now offers an email coaching series with its founder Mike Starks.

The Bad

• Failed Deliveries
  • Poor Packing
  • Portions

Failed Deliveries

Common challenges in the weight loss product industry include failed deliveries. Current customer reviews on the internet have mentioned frustration with deliveries being late or never coming at all. If you are concerned about this, you should work with customer service during the delivery period to ensure that your delivery is tracked to your door.

A couple of reviews have also mentioned that their deliveries were reported as “delivered” by the mailing service, but they never found the package at their home. Be aware that this could happen to you before you order.

Poor Packing

Another frustration mentioned by customers in online reviews is faulty packaging. Customers have reported that packages have arrived at their homes with the ice being melted, food being defrosted, and packages of food being partially opened. Unfortunately, though customer service representatives said that the food would still be fine to eat, some customers report getting sick from eating the foods that had defrosted during the shipping process.

Though PTF has a money-back guarantee, a number of exceptions are specified in the terms and conditions. Make sure that you are aware of these if you begin to receive melted packages and defrosted foods.

Portions

Lastly, those who have not been eating very healthy foods have complained that the portions are very small. They do not feel like they are getting enough food and therefore they start to snack on other foods. Some have felt that the amount of food in each package is not always the same. Be sure to check for this when your food arrives to ensure that you are getting what you paid for. Also, if you feel that you need to supplement in other areas to ensure that you get enough food, consult your weight loss specialist for their recommendations for healthy snacks.

The Bottom Line

If you are looking to lose some weight and are willing to completely change your diet in the process, PTF may be a good option for you. Before trying it, we recommend that you try eating just vegetables and meat for a couple days to see how much energy you have and how you feel. Take advantage of online customer reviews before purchasing PTF products. This will help you know if it will be a good product for you.

View Best Diet Plans Companies

Jennifer Foley

I have used Personal Trainer Food for almost a year now. I lost almost 60 lbs! It has been a slow and steady race and I have been able to maintain and follow the guidelines. The food has been delicious and I look forward to my deliveries. The customer service is THE best I have ever worked with, answering me quickly and to my satisfaction. Many people have asked me about the program, seeing my results, and I have shared it many, many times.

Yadira Granada Hills, CA

We were trying to change our eating habits to less processed foods and we thought this was the best option because it is quick and easy. We just have to heat it up and you are ready to eat. We enjoyed the meals.

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Thanks for being a PTF customer Yadira!

Lindsey Lehi, UT

Overall I think it was a good experience but I am not ordering anymore. It was a simple way to have healthy food but it was a little repetitive having the same food over and over.

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Thanks for trying the program Lindey!

Bella Commack, NY

It was easy and convenient but it didn’t work for me because everything was frozen and not really portable and some of the chicken was not good, it was hardened muscles and that kind of freaked me out so I didn’t want to order it anymore.

Hollie Marengo, IN

Not very many vegetarian or vegan options. The quality of the food got worse the further into he program. They should also pay more attention to the quality of meats and veggies they are choosing. Some had freezer burn before it even gets to you. You can’t call customer service. It is all done through email or instant message.

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Hi Hollie, thanks for your feedback. I apologize, we do not offer a vegetarian or vegan program. You can call customer support and we really hope you'll reach to out us and give us a call. We'd like to help if there is anyway we can. The number is 800-273-1686.

Sean Swayze West Hollywood, CA

I am currently down about 50 lbs. after 5 months on the program. It works whenever I need it. It's super easy to follow and anytime I have to contact the company, they are a delight!

Simon Oppenheimer

Quality of some of the food. Some of the meats have gristle, cartilage, skin or uneven textures for the type of meat it is supposed to be. Some of the vegetables do not appear to be fresh frozen or have steams in them. The price has gone up considerably since I have been using the service and there have been less coupons or discounts.Shipping, ordering, convenience and selection are still strengths.

James

It has been very effective for me. I have lost over 60 pounds and then on the plan for more than four years. It has helped me maintain the weight I lost. I am also single and run my own business so it is very convenient when it is meal time and I know I'm getting something healthy.

Margeaux

Delicious, convenient meals; flexibility about shipping times; frequent discounts; easy and non-judgmental advice and articles, so no extra stress and research constantly putting food in mind.

Laz

In my personal experience, I was able to dramatically lose weight by committing myself to the program. I was able to refer friends and family and see first-hand their weight-loss.

Muriel Hibbs

I think PTF tastes good. I have tried another food program and their food tasted bad. Also I like the ease of preparing the food. I do tend to ge5 tired of the diet food and crave pizza and spaghetti! Etc. I also crave sweets.

Anonymous Auburn, AL

I love the texts that come regularly with encouragements and facts. It was very helpful. I am very glad I did it. I wanted something to kick start my new low carb journey.

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Thanks for being a PTF customer!

Adamina Katy, TX

I started with them because I wanted to get healthy and I am happy I chose them. Thus far as the scustomer upport, I never got any support

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Thanks for being a PTF customer Adamina!

Pam Boyle

The food is tasty and easy! Veggie portions are smalland both broccoli and cauliflower include too many fat tough stems. Love the variety and spicy offerings! Wish you didn't use styrofoam as insulation.

Diane Larson

Quick, easy, good....best plan I have ever been on and I have been on many! I have kept the weight off for several years, that never happened before.

ss4stan

With a busy lifestyle, eating something "healthier with flavor/taste," nutritional balance, portion management, ready-to-eat at a fair price point, has helped me lose/maintain my weight and be a repeat customer.

Benton

Like the food and would buy conssitently, but the prices get too high when it comes out to over $10 per meal. Can get more value at places like Snap Kitchen with prices too high.

Jessica Atlantic Highlands, NJ

For the short term they are great for losing weight but it is more sodium than I need in the long run. I am glad I did it. It was easy and affordable.

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Hi Jessica! Thanks for trying the program! We do offer lower sodium options if you're interest! Feel free to email us and we'd be happy to help you select those! [email protected]

Stephen Austin, TX

good value, makes it easy to stick with your plan. I have referred MANY people to this product and they all say the same.

Amy

I get these meals not for weight loss (although it's helpful in the area) but for quick meals healthy for myself and they are just that

CentaW

It really works. I personally lost 22 lbs and it was easy to follow. Food is delicious and pre-measured for a whole month at a time.

Kate

I like the food and the variety to choose from, but it would be great if you could order order smaller quantities. Not everyone had a freezer large enough for an entire months worth of food.

Tammy

After a while it made me sick to eat it. I would actually gag. It's like I hit a wall and although I did good for a few months. I got burned out. It all started to taste the same.

Marci

Food is fresh and made with all natural ingredients! I can't eat soy and there are several choices that do not contain soy!

Steve O

The varied menu allows you to mix and match your meals with new items coming out on a regular basis. Its tasty and natural food

Patty Legrow

The food is delicious and easy, especially for a work night. The ease of the food is what made me try it. The quality is why I continued to order.

Ray Ford

Good tasting food, convenient and great customer service. Have been very successful with this program. One less thing to worry about.

Diana Allegretti

The food quality is very good and they have great customer service. I have food allergies and had a limited choice of food options.

Donna Bristol, NH

It is easy if it is in your house. I never have any problems with their customer service.

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Thanks for being a PTF customer Donna!

Hi Ly Rancho Cucamonga, CA

It's just a great program to follow! We love the follow up email with more information and encouragement.

Cathy DeSoto, TX

The food is tasty. There is great variety. I'm a busy professional and this is convenient and better than fast food.

Sarah Medlin

I'm a repeat customer and appreciate the quality, convenience and great customer service at Personal Trainer Food.

Deever Denver, IA

The food is delicious. Shipment is quick. Program is easy, it works and you eat healthy. Best diet plan I've found.

Kristen Highland, IN

Food is convenient and mostly healthy/clean. I only rate it down 1 star because some of the meats are difficult to heat through all the way :/

Laura Bassett

i was pleasantly surprised how good the food was, especially the omelet. I did lose weight. It is a lower carb option.

Trish Nista

Healthy food; great tasting; good variety; good for weight loss if you follow plan; very convenient for a quick meal.

REDelgado

Excellent from beginning to end. From packaging to delivery to options to variety to taste, they are excellent.

Jessie

Fast shipping. Good Customer Service. Food tastes great and is convenient. Works for weight loss.

Lorry Ryan

Delicious, healthy and convenient food. Arrives frozen and each item takes under 2 minutes to prepare. Love PTF!

Angelique Willard

The frozen food is convenient, and food decent in flavor. Downside is storing, and that specials don't apply to those on a monthly subscription.

Kellye

Great food, and fast service. They have a big menu of items for me to choose from so I'm not feeling bored.

Amy Beverly Hills, CA

It was fine. I did it has part of my weight loss. It was good. They are very responsive if you have any questions.

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Thanks for being a PTF customer Amy!

John San Diego, CA

The food is good quality and consistent with the idea of losing weight plus they add new products every year.

Reply from Personal Trainer Food

Thanks for being a PTF customer! We appreciate the review!

Oct. 21st, 2020

Karenlin Culver City, CA

Food good, makes my life easier, only problem was with delivery and use of OnTrac

Daniel Hernandez Dallas, TX

Lost alot of weight on the program and the value for the money was definitely there.

Dan Rivard Minneapolis, MN

Lost 60pds and have learned how to keep it off. The food tastes good and it's simple.

TAS

Good selection/high quality and flavorful food. Reliable company with good customer service

Angela

The food is pretty good and I lost 10 pounds in one month. I got very tired of eating the bland vegetables.

Heaven A.

Food is ok. Concerned with ice packing of food. I have received orders that we not frozen, but PTF sent me a replacement order.

Rena

Sometimes the meat is chewy and some of it doesn't taste great. The chicken thighs also have too much fat .