Nutrisystem Logo

Nutrisystem

7.1

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

With over 45 years in the weight loss industry, Nutrisystem offers easy meal prep without having to track points or calories. The Nutrisystem mission is to “help you transform your life inside and out.” The meal plans start at $8.57 per day with the choice of pre-set meal plans or the option to customize the food you get each month. The weight loss program is designed to help you lose weight quickly and sustainably.

Keep reading our Nutrisystem review for the pros and cons of choosing a diet plan with Nutrisystem.

The Good

• Customizable Weight Loss Plans
  • Specialized Weight Loss Plans
  • Easy Prep Meals
  • Flex Meals
  • NuMi App
  • Maintain Your Weight
  • Referral Program
  • Positive Customer Reviews
  • Free Shipping

Customizable Weight Loss Plans

Nutrisystem offers three weight loss plans that build on each other as you move from the cheapest option up. All programs last four weeks, consist of six small meals a day, and on average, increase weight loss to one to two lbs a week. Each of the plans are customizable, with more options to choose from as you upgrade.

• Basic — This plan is the least expensive with an option to add flexibility to your meal plan with over 100 shelf-stable food options.
  • Uniquely Yours (Most Popular Option) — This plan allows you to customize your meal plans from over 160+ food options including frozen items.  You will receive Nutrisystem meals for seven days in the first two weeks, and meals for five days for the last two weeks of the program.
  • Uniquely Yours Ultimate — This plan provides seven days worth of prepackaged meals throughout the entire weight loss program. Choose from over 160 frozen and non-frozen meals options.

For an additional cost, you can add 28 protein shakes to any of the plans to help you burn fat and reduce caloric intake. All plans include access to counselors, dieticians, and health tools.

Specialized Weight Loss Plans

Nutrisystem has several customized meal plans specifically for men, those with diabetes, and vegetarians. The specialized plans are similar in price to the standard plans offered. The price and customizability are unique benefits for those looking to lose weight with dietary specifications.

• Basic Diabetes — This plan is tailored towards individuals with Prediabetes or Type 2 Diabetes. Nutrisystem D (the diabetes plan) is created to help you manage your blood sugar while losing weight.
  • Uniquely Yours Diabetes — This plan offers over 160 menu items to choose from. The major difference between the Basic Diabetes Plan and the Uniquely Yours Diabetes Plan is the additional food options.
  • Vegetarian Plan — This plan offers over 90 vegetarian meals and snacks to choose from.
  • Men’s Plan — Nutrisystem offers 3 standard plan options for men with additional snacks and sizable meals.

Easy Prep Meals

Nutrisystem food is ideal for individuals with limited time to cook. Many people find that traditional diet plans are difficult to maintain because they require planning and cooking. With Nutrisystem, you don’t have to worry about long grocery lists or complicated recipes. On the basic plan, you will be sent easy-to-make packaged food. If you choose to upgrade your plan, you can receive frozen food options to quickly prepare during the week. A Nutrisystem meal will be proportioned to supply the right amount of calories and nutrition for one person.

Flex Meals

A flex meal is just as it sounds, a meal or snack you can eat that doesn’t follow the specific diet plan. This is commonly referred to as a cheat meal. Nutrisystem recognizes that customers still want to participate in regular life events. That means attending birthday parties, going out to eat, or unwinding with a glass of wine. The Nutrisystem meal plan provides flexibility by factoring in two meals of your choice for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks throughout each week. With the flex meal, you can stay on track with your diet while still enjoying a few of your favorite dishes every week.

NuMi App

NuMi is the official Nutrisystem mobile app. It is free to download and syncs with your account and customizes the features of your meal plan. It offers community challenges, a barcode scanner for logging food, reminders to keep you on track, daily tips and inspiration, and an all-inclusive place to track your weight, water intake, and physical activity.

Maintain Your Weight

Nutrisystem Success is designed for those who have reached their weight loss goal and now just want to maintain it. Customers will continue to eat their favorite Nutrisystem meals and snacks as they learn to incorporate healthy habits on their own. You have the option to make dinners on your own, weekends on your own, or breakfast and dinners on your own. This transition plan includes the following:

• 10 color-coded, pre-measured food containers, and guide
  • Customized meal plan
  • Access to Nutrisystem meals and snacks

Referral Program

One of the best features Nutrisystem has to offer is its referral program. When a customer refers a friend, the friend will get $100 off their order and the customer who referred them will also get $100 off their next order. Even better is that there is no limit to how many friends you can refer. Each friend will save $100 but if you refer three friends you save $300 on your order.

Positive Customer Reviews

Nutrisystem reviews show that customers are satisfied with the diet plan and weight loss results. Five-star reviewers recognize the great tasting food and low effort weight loss plan as some of the top benefits of Nutrisystem.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Kaitlyn R. from Ogden, Utah

“Nutrisystem is by far the best diet plan meal program out there. Portion sizes are big and filling. But most importantly is the right nutritional balance for healthy weight loss. It teaches you a new way to view food and portion size that helps in weight loss. Great for the price, well worth it.

Free Shipping

Get free shipping on your pre-packaged meals. This meal delivery service saves you time and money at the grocery store. Free shipping right to your doorstep means you have one less task to worry about during the week. Shipments will usually arrive within 1 to 10 business days.

The Bad

• Eligibility
  • Cancellation Fee and Exchanges
  • No Long-Term Research Studies
  • Processed Foods

Eligibility

Before you purchase a weight loss meal plan from Nutrisystem, first ensure that the food they offer will not agitate a pre-existing medical condition. As listed in the Nutrisystems Terms and Conditions, individuals who fall under one of the categories are not eligible for the weight loss diet:

• Women who are pregnant
  • Those allergic to soy, peanuts, or latex
  • Individuals who have anorexia or bulimia
  • Those suffering from chronic kidney disease
  • If you require a gluten-free or ketogenic diet

Cancellation Fee and Exchanges

To cancel your plan, you must call the toll-free number. If you cancel after the 14 days but before the first four weeks before the next auto-delivery, you will be charged $125. This is for the discount you received when signing up for the auto-delivery option.

Exchanges are available within 30 days of your order as long as the product is unopened. Allow 14 days for Nutrisystem to process the return. This may affect your meal schedule so plan accordingly.

No Long-Term Research Studies

Nutrisystem has conducted a small research study to evaluate the weight loss effectiveness of its program. The company found that individuals lost an average of 18 lbs over two months on the Nutrisystem diet. However, these results have not been published in a peer-reviewed journal. We also don’t know the long-term effect of the diet plan on your health. Based on general dieting guidelines, limiting caloric intake can lead to weight loss in the short run but cause weight gain in the long run as people return to old habits. Nutrisystem needs to conduct additional research studies to verify the effectiveness of its program.

Processed Foods

The Nutrisystem diet program heavily relies on processed foods to create meal plans. This is an advantage for the company because it can lengthen the delivery time and maintain a high inventory. However, based on recent studies, processed foods can negatively impact your long-term health. While processed foods can be prepared quickly, they can eventually do more damage than good. If you are using this program as a starting point for better health, you won’t need to worry about heavy reliance on processed foods. In your third and fourth weeks, the program encourages you to supplement your diet with fresh food from your local grocery store. This helps balance the processed foods with fresh options.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Nutrisystem offers a wide variety of easy-prep meals that are low in calories and will provide your body with the nutrients it needs. While it is a little pricey, it completely takes the guesswork out of meal planning. If you are someone who lives with a medical condition, please do your research on the ingredients and/or speak with a Nutrisystem representative. As per many companies, cancellation and exchanges can be a bit of a hassle. For those looking for something simple and straightforward, this is a diet plan you should consider.

See how Nutrisystem ranks among top diet plans

Have you tried the Nutrisystem diet plan? Would you recommend this service to a friend? Let us know about your experience with a quick review below.

4.0

Taylor Larson Pho Thale, 66

I liked how affordable this meal plan was. I also loved how the meals were high quality and I could feel good about what I was putting in my body. The delivery system was also very easy to work with.

matthew Logan, UT

my father in law does this and he loves it. he's always eating different food and he actually enjoys them. I’ve eaten the food and tried it personally and it works very well and the food actually is super great. Helps me eat a portion for my self and not over eat. its a good way to loose weight and not worry about cooking. kinda expensive but worth it if you want to loose weight and still eat good food.

KS Orem, UT

It didn't work for me. It's way too expensive for the quality of food you get. Both the food and the shakes were nasty in my opinion.

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

Used Nutrisystem and it works great! they send you all the food youll need for the duration of your plan and you just eat what you have. I find a pitfall a lot of people fall into is that they are eating extra besides what Nutrisystem send you and then wonder why it didn't work.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Nutrisystem is great for their diet plans. The meals are easy to buy, and stay on the diet plan. The food is tasty and economical. You also don't crave desserts as they provide good options. The nutritional value and health improvements are the best results from Nutrisystem. Highly recommended by our family!

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

take7 Sandy, UT

Has many menu meal dietary needs options for subscribers. The portions are great and the food was fine. I didn't stick with it because it wasn't cost effective for me but it did help me jumpstart my weight loss so that I could continue on my own. Helped me see portion sizes and control.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Nutrisystem is extremely easy to follow, and it helps you keep track of the food you should and shouldn't be eating. Very effective and helped me drop that 10 pounds I couldn't get rid of!

Whitney Stanko Smithfield, UT

Super great way to loose weight and also not have to cook food. Food is actually good and there is a variety. Glad you can say what you don't want in your food if you don't like something.

Rosann Stanko Logan, UT

I tried Nutrisystem for several months and only lost the basic 5 pounds. I also felt a lot of the food started to taste like tomato sauce. It’s a wonderful idea and I liked the portion control the best because then I wasn’t eating too much food each day. A few of the meals were not good at all, but the customer service department gave me credit for those meals when I called in. I also visited with a counselor to help get ideas to lose more than the basic 5 pounds and they had great ideas, but I still wasn’t able to lose more weight.

Mikayla Ralston Pensacola, FL

My wife and I used Nutrisystem for a couple months a few years ago. We did lose weight, but after a week or so of eating the meals, we were very tired of eating the food. It wasn't the best. It was tough to make it through a month.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Only lost 14 lbs in 8 weeks, was promised way more than that, and the food didn't even taste good.

Keron Grey Tallahassee, FL

I love the book with all the shakes that are in there, it gives me the chance to have a variety in my smoothies and my meal planning.

cb Thibodaux, LA

Tried Nutrisystem last year and I've lost 30 pounds! Very tasty meals that aren't hard to make at prices that won't leave you broke.

J Connelly Saratoga Springs, UT

I did nutrisystem for 3 months and lost 30 lbs. I did the cheapest plan and did not enjoy the dinner and lunch food. The breakfasts and snacks were delicious. I

Toni Baker Draper, UT

Love nutri system's I lost so much weight on their the food was great everything was funding good and love to try it again

Sarah Russie Clearfield, UT

Not very balanced and the food is very over preserved and caused me health issues. If you follow it to a T you will lose weight, but plan on it hurting your health in the long run. They do a good job of teaching people to properly view portions and how to make a complete meal, though.

Mazi Marcel Womack Cedar City, UT

I have only heard good things about Nutrisystem so I decided to use it myself. So far so good, and I am getting great results.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

Nutrisystem did better than some other dieting services to take in account the fact that I am human. They were more realistic, but I think it is still a waste of money. You won't have lasting results this way. Eat what makes you feel good and healthy and beautiful. Don't let them take your money.

Hunter Brister Norcross, GA

Nutrisystem provides delicious foods that are healthy for you on a specified subscription time. I would recommend using Nutrisystem.

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

VERY SATISFIED WITH THIS SYSTEN FOR WEIGHT LOSS AS WELL AS HEALTH GOOD TASTE BIG SELECTION AT COMPATIBLE PRICE

Connor Farmington, UT

Nutrisystem is so easy because they send ready-made meals. They are portioned out and are pretty delicious and easy to warm up, etc.

Martha Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

I purchased Nutrisystem one time. I brought it home and opened the box. When I started looking at each box, I knew it was not for me. I just could not eat all that dried up, reconstituted food.

Rylie Crandall Draper, UT

I like Nutrisystem because I liked how I didn't have to put in a lot of effort into meal planning because they did everything for me.

Maria West Valley City, UT

Great company a little pricy but well worth it was on it for a couple months and lost good amount of weight employees are very personable will refer

Teagan hickman Salt Lake City, UT

I did nutrasystem a couple years ago and lost 30 pounds really in a matter of 3months...

Kellen Layton, UT

It works great for me. Has helped me lose forty pounds and taste really good too.

Jami Lucas Eagle Mountain, UT

I decided to try this diet after my last baby and lived how easy it was and how yummy the food was.

Sage Robertson Cedar City, UT

I really love the Nutrisystem diet program. They have great prices and great customer service.

Mykahla Nelson Managua, MN

I would not recommend this company! I found this was a really hard to follow the food plan and I did not like some of the food!

Makayla Manus Long Beach, MS

The Nutrisystem diet plan worked really well. I lost weight and still got to eat foods I love.

Jason Draper, UT

Nutrisystem wasn't my favorite because I didn't feel like it was very effective for me.

Aliza Henline Provo, UT

Food is too small and too processed! Might make you lose weight but not good for you :(