MetLife Logo

7.0

LAST UPDATED: November 23rd, 2021

MetLife is an established and trusted insurance company. It was founded in 1863 in New York City as National Union Life and Limb Insurance Company. Over the years, MetLife has grown to offer various kinds of insurance internationally. In the United States, MetLife offers life insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, auto insurance, and more.

Cigna Logo
#2 Cigna chevron_right
3.8
UnitedHealthcare Logo
#3 UnitedHealthcare chevron_right
Delta Dental Logo
#4 Delta Dental chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Two Kinds of Employer-Provided Dental Plans
  • Additional Insurance Available

Two Kinds of Employer-Provided Dental Plans

MetLife offers two kinds of plans to businesses: a Dental PPO Plan and a Dental HMO/Managed Care Plan.

The Dental HMO/Managed Care plans are available in California, Florida, New Jersey, New York, and Texas. HMO stands for Health Maintenance Organization. With these plans, members do not have deductibles or claims forms. Members must choose a network-participating dentist when they enroll.

The PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) plans allow members more freedom when choosing a dental care provider. They can see an in- or out-of-network dentist, though great discounts are available with in-network providers.

Additional Insurance Available

MetLife offers other kinds of insurance coverage and services that employers can include in their benefits package:

• Group Accident and Health Insurance
  • Group Disability Insurance
  • Group Vision Insurance
  • Group Life Insurance
  • Auto and Home Group Insurance Program
  • Group Legal Services

Independent buyers can also purchase the following from MetLife:

• Homeowners Insurance
  • Condo Insurance
  • Renters Insurance
  • Insurance for Landlords
  • Vision Insurance
  • Auto Insurance

The Bad

• One Kind of Dental Plan for Independent Buyers
  • Waiting Periods

One Kind of Dental Plan for Independent Buyers

MetLife only offers one kind of dental plan for independent buyers called MetLife TakeAlong DentalSM. This offering is a PPO and comes with three options:

• High Option Benefit
  • Medium Option Benefit
  • Low Option Benefit

In addition to dental discounts, the MetLife TakeAlong DentalSM plan includes cost-sharing.

The Low Option Benefit offers 100 percent of treatment costs for preventive care, like cleanings and dental checkups, in- and out-of-network, 70 percent coverage for basic restorative care in- and out-of-network, and 50 percent of major restorative care in- and out-of-network. The maximum benefit for this plan is $1000 per person and has a $75 (individual) or $225 (family) deductible.

The Medium Option Benefit has the same covered services as the Low Option Benefit. The maximum benefit is $1500 per person. The deductible is $50 (individual) and $150 (family).

The High Option Benefit has the same benefit as the Medium Option Benefit, except basic restorative services are covered at 80 percent in- and out-of-network. The High Option Benefit also includes 50 percent coverage for child orthodontia with a lifetime maximum benefit of $1000 per person. The maximum benefit for the year is $2000 per person. The deductible is $25 (individual) and $75 (family).

Interested customers should contact MetLife directly for premium cost information to get a better sense of how much they will pay for a dental insurance policy.

Waiting Periods

All MetLife TakeAlong DentalSM options come with a six month waiting period for basic services and a year waiting period of major and orthodontic services.

The Bottom Line

MetLife is a reliable insurance provider. It is an especially great option for employers seeking to offer their employees benefits. Interested employers should contact MetLife directly to learn more about their dental insurance policy options. In addition to dental insurance, MetLife offers life insurance, accident and health insurance, and more. Employers can provide a comprehensive benefits package to their employees through MetLife.

MetLife’s options are fewer for independent buyers, which can make it trickier to find the right coverage and budget fit. Other dental insurance companies offer more plan options to independent buyers. Consumers need to contact MetLife directly to learn more about availability and premium rates.

If you’re an employer providing benefits, MetLife is a solid choice.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

Martha Woodward Charlotte, NC

HORRIBLE!!!!The dentists that are on their preferred dentists list are awful! If you go outside of these doctors they barely pay anything. They tried telling me that a deep cleaning that costs $267 should only cost $80 something and they only will pay 50% of that. They also also give your dental office a price when they call to get a pre authorization then lie and cover way less. STAY CLEAR OF THIS SHADY COMPANY!!!

Preetha Arun Henderson, NV

you guyz deserve no star... They Can't even confirm one single page information for claim properly... & keep dragging forever... & will never help you in finding the solution.. the customer service people knows nothing.. worst customer service ever anybody can have in the world.... HORRIBLE PEOPLE

Carmelo Panama City, FL

My wife has been using Metlife for her dental needs for at least 2 years and she has no complaints. She receives updates on billing which helps check and validate the work. Her dentist has been outstanding.

Jaime American Fork, UT

MetLife is what our family's current dental insurance is through. I haven't had any problems, and our claims through our dentist seem to go through pretty easily. I get the explanation of benefits, and I like how they're laid out so I can see what's covered and what our portion is.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Metlife is our trusted dental insurance carrier currently. I feel there is great coverage, great customer service, handling any issues at all, and super follow up by their staff. I feel well supported with their dental coverage at a good price.

Miles Strother American Fork, UT

MetLife is my current Dental Insurance provider. They provide plenty of online resources to view benefits and keep track of expenses. The process for signing up for online access was very simple.

Aleah Gree

I like metlife dental insurance, good service, insurance very easy to work with, provide good dentist within your budget

Chelsea Bishop Las Vegas, NV

MetLife has been great for our dental insurance. I like that we get our invoices very quickly after a service-- fastest ever for an insurance company! Easy to understand.

Jennifer Wilson Pleasant Grove, UT

All of our dental needs have been well taken care of. I love the assurance of 6 month check ups for everyone. The consistency of the coverage has been good.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I had MetLife Dental for many years. My biggest complaint with them was the Max limits per year. Unlike medical where there is a max out of pocket, MetLife dental has a maximum limit to the procedures they’ll perform in a year. One year I needed two crowns and had 5 or 6 cavities. Unfortunately due to the max limit, I had to space these procedure over the course of 2 years in order for insurance to cover everything. Had I not spaced it out that way, I would have had to cover all the cavities on my own.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Metlife dental insurance was great coverage for me and my family, low deductibles, low fees, and fast coverage for services. All around it was superb.

Mikayla Ralston Pensacola, FL

My company recently switched to Metlife for dental insurance. So far, the service has been good and I know what I'm paying for all the dental issues we have.

Nathan D. Warrendale, PA

I have MetLife dental insurance through my employer - they cover some things but not a lot of things, i.e. I decided to get Invisalign braces at the age of 33 to help correct my bit and they stop helping to cover this at age 26.

Terra Stanko Hyrum, UT

My only experience so far was that MetLife Dental covered nearly 75% of the cost for my daughter to have her bottom teeth fixed when she fell and landed on her face, which was very helpful!

Hannah Francis Provo, UT

I love MetLife! I just went to the dentist and did not have to pay a single thing. Granted that is because of the certain policy that I have but still. Very impressive.

Calista Huber Mesa, AZ

I used to have MetLife dental and thought it was alright. I was glad to know how much regular cleanings cost but I never felt like my benefits went much farther than that. Maybe we had the lowest plan though.

Bethany Rockville, MD

Our family dental company. For orthodontics, there is no waiting period, which I found attractive when I chose dental plans.

Della R.Quinn Coleman Plainfield, IL

Been with MetLife for over 19 yrs. I really appreciate the service I have received from the company.. My teeth are more healthy with their help.

Tina Igo Avonmore, PA

MetLife is the easiest dental insurance to work with. Our coverage is extensive and widely accepted anywhere we go. We really like it!

Avidflyfisher16 Longmont, CO

I have had MetLife for a number of years for my dental insurance. Not only do they drag their feet in reimbursing claims, they typically deny claims although all the paperwork has been submitted, just to buy time and avoid paying claims on time. I had MetLife insurance through my employer, but would never choose this insurance company if I had to pay for the insurance myself.

cb Thibodaux, LA

Great coverage! Very trustable when I need something done to my teeth and by far the friendliest customer service to deal with!

Roche American Fork, UT

I would highly recommend MetLife dental coverage, the insurance is amazing. I have found that most dentist take MetLife.

Leslie Comstock Orem, UT

MetLife has a great system to check on coverage & any outstanding claims. I like how I can request fax backs when needed.

Keith Niceville, FL

The coverage looked good, but no one here would accept it as a primary overage. The copays were as much as the monthly payment.

David Dilley Ocala, FL

Payments are low and hardly any dentists are in their program - even if you have fairly major dental issues it is probably best not to have the insurance

Carl Casa Grande, AZ

We have a family of six all covered with MetLife. No problems, just a little vague on out of pocket expences.

Anonymous Huntersville, NC

No problems; billing is handled in a very timely manner;never had to contact company over charges.

Diana Anastasi

Very good- coverage is very good too although I would like to see more of caps/crowns and bone graft covered more

Sheri Wiggins Upper Marlboro, MD

Love MetLife, my husband and I have great dental coverage. The customer service is amazing!

Emily Grossman Corpus Christi, TX

Used MetLife dental for years. The claims are always paid in a timely manner. Would recommend them.

Maverick Denhalter Salt Lake City, UT

MetLife has been great to work with through their dental insurance. I haven’t ever had to worry about anything, it’s just taken care of.

Dre35 West Valley City, UT

We love using MetLife for our dental services. Their app is user friendly, and it's nice to be able to go to it to see what my benefits are.

Caleb Warren Norcross, GA

Insurance is not accepted by too many dentists and even if it is, most things you get done are either not covered or it still costs you an arm and a leg

Toni Hasson Salem, UT

I recently went to the dentist and only paid my co-pay - they commented how impressed they were with the coverage I had

Sandi Burkinshaw South Jordan, UT

Great dental coverage. Covered some of the cost of orthodontics. My favorite part, they cover sealants for my kids teeth 100%

Club rush West Valley City, UT

The coverage is great for me, but I hate that the coverage attached when on Medicare is so lousy and not the same.

Angelina Hamilton Jackson, MS

Have had this coverage for six years now. They cover about the same as others. Two cleanings a year and 1 X-ray a year. Rates are affordable!

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

Coverage was good for the cost. Dealing with customer service was not the easiest especially when you had a secondary insurance

Nancy Paugh Long Beach, MS

Pays for routine cleaning and x-rays. Premiums are very low and compared to other companies. Most dentist accept this insurance.

Robyn Tallahassee, FL

THIS INSURANCE COMPANY IS VERY RELIABLE. I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE IM SAFE IF ANYTHING WAS TO EVER GO WRONG.

Roman Christiansen Pleasant Grove, UT

MetLife dental insurance is a very reliable insurance company. The service is great and the staff is very helpful.

Samantha Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

Had for ten years and they were good about claims.

Varduhi Rockville, MD

efficient, have never had problems or need to call.

Stephanie Brown

If I have question the are therie to help and always come thru with an answer.

Gloria Bishop La Vergne, TN

The coverage is very good and they pay the provider in a timely fashion.

Susan

They pay quickly, but their network is limited. I need to drive 35 miles for a network periodontist.

Ruth Ann Ciarlo

They are pretty good for dental insurance. Premiums are low.

Ashby Cockrell Apopka, FL

Wonderful products that meet the actual real world dental issues

Cdavid , MO

MetLife has been great insurance for my family. They have paid without any issues.

Mark Park City, UT

We used MetLife for dental insurance before. I remember the experience being fine, although it was confusing at times when it came to coverage.