Guardian Logo

Guardian

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

3.5

Virginia Pellegrini Vista, CA

If you can avoid Guardian Dental Insurance at any cost, it’s a SCAM!!! I went to the dentist in December getting a simple oral exam and a cleaning which led to getting 2 fillings and a crown replacement. The insurance expects the dentist to use silver filling so even though that state that they cover your fillings 100% they only cover the charge that is equivalent to the silver filling not the composite filling that is commonly used. On top of that they didn’t cover my crown replacement at all because apparently it needs to be more than 10 years’ old. And I submitted a predetermination claim to replace my bridge as well, but since it’s not older than 10 years’ they won’t cover that either. Now to get my teeth fixed I’m supposed to come up with at least $2500 out of pocket! I called their customer service which is just completely useless and incompetent. The supervisor tried telling me that my procedures weren’t covered because of the plan my employer chose. However after this call I started an online chat on their website, where I asked if they have any plans that cover crowns or bridges that are more than 10 years’ old and they confirmed that they don’t have any such plans. Now the things is that I’ve been with Guardian for about 7 years. About 2-3 years after my bridge was put in another dentist told me that it needed to be replaced. When they submitted that predetermination claim it turned that it had to be at least 5 years’ old for the insurance to cover it, so I decided to wait. In the meantime I got a new employer and signed up with their insurance plan which was Guardian again. I thought that was a good thing, bad mistake!!! Turns out Guardian can change their rules as it pleases them, or whichever way makes them more money by setting their customers up for failure. Once I though I was finally ready to get this work done it turns out their coverage limitation change to a minimum of 10 years. Consider that on average a crown will last 5-15 years, so on a fixed average that would be exactly 10 years, which means Guardian is waiting until the last minute to even partially cover your necessary procedure by which time it might be even too late to a replacement and you will need an implant which under most of their plans/scenarios they don’t cover anyway. Be aware, this company is a SCAM that employees CON-ARTISTS who will only take advantage of you and your assumption that insurance is actually there to help you make your life better and healthier!

T Wiesner Overland Park, KS

WORST dental insurance ever! I had this because that's what was offered at my work. i didn't have a waiting period, had a procedure approved. my work decided to switch insurance at beginning of year. I called guardian for weeks, and not one person there was competent, I was switched from one agent to the next, called 15 times. on hold for hours each time. All I wanted to do was continue with them and pay for plan myself rather then my work pay, so my procedure would be completed. BUT ABSOLUTLY not they said if I continue with them there would be a 9 month waiting period, ridiculous, I was already receiving insurance from them. I never had to wait with any company, especially if i was already a member, so i was left with 8000.00 fees out of my pocket to finish my implant, because this greedy company would not let me pay for their insurance without having to wait . Why pay when you get no benefits! Customer service has no knowledge at all, everyone I spoke to insured me they would call me back with answers the next day, never got a call. In the process at one point I did sign up to continue before I knew there would be a long waiting period, and come to find out the agent didn't even complete the process, they took my bank number and everything to process the fee. was told it would be taken Dec 26-30. and I can cancel anytime. well they took my money the same day, then I find out after that they refuse to waive the waiting period which i have been asking about for months. I BETTER see a refund. TERRIBLE customer service. No wonder my work changed companies!!!! DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM!!!

Erin Steffek Fulshear, TX

Guardian is a TERRIB LE company. In November during open enrollment, my school district changed to Guardian. At the time, I contacted guardian to research what pediatric dentists were in the area for my 4 year old because she had a cavity I needed fixed. They gave me a list of pediatric dentists. In January when my insurance began, I contacted a dentist, but I was told in order to see the pediatric dentist I needed a referral. I got the referral. I thought all was well. I made my appointment. They could not see me for 3 weeks. Finally at 10am the day of my appointment, I get a phone call from Guardian stating that the dentist was no longer covered. I contacted guardian and they informed me that the list they gave me in November was a lie! They don't know who is in network unless the dentists contact them. So I have a bogus list of dentists and none are covered in my area. Having a cavity filled for a 4 year old isn't fun. I finally had her ready and now I have to drive over an hour away to get to a pediatric dentist. After being on hold for almost 4 hours, I am told there is nothing they can do. I am now stuck paying for insurance I can not use. They lied to us to get their bid with the district. They are a HORRIBLE company. I wouldn't trust them ever again.

Crissy Evelyn Brooklyn, NY

Horrible company with horrible customer service representatives that talk down to customers. They want me to pay the difference for white fillings. Saying the dentist should have known that and I need to call my dentist office not them! Very rude! Not worth it . Find a better company

Kelly

They are awful. We have paid for 7 months and tried to use the insurance today and they cost me half of a day of work and i couldn’t take my family to the dentist. I am very unhappy with them and honestly can’t wait until we can switch companies. If I could give zero stars I would.

Chris Craig Fenton, MI

Company covers nothing, set up to deny all Claims! No coverage is better! Had these guys once, now my new company uses them! Thank goodness I can drop my coverage and use my wife's, run from these guys, fraudulent company focus on profits, what is a patient?

Anthony Schenectady, NY

0 stars. I signed up online, had an issue with my phone so I had to call in to finish up everything. Started seeing my dentist for a year now. Just found out that all of my visits had denied claims. Never received correspondence from Guardian about the claims, I just kept going bc I thought everything was ok. When I received my bill through dentist I called Guardian, I was out of network. They had me set for a dentist that was at the other end of the state. Worst customer service ever.

Jodi Scheib Hollywood, FL

I am fairly sure their policy is to deny everything. After being in pain for some time - I went to the dentist and had four crowns done - paid my percentage and went on my way. A year later I am told that some random dentist doesn't find the films compelling enough to deem it a medically necessary procedure and it has been denied. HA! Tell my pain that. Now I am stuck owing several thousand more dollars out of pocket.

Cory Piekarski Westport, NY

As so many other reviews point out, Guardian employs nasty, abusive, sexist jerks as customer service reps. Interrupting, using abusive language, hanging up on patrons - that's what customers experience. I have never been so disgusted as I was following my one interaction with Guardian, and I am a premium-paying customer. I will be dropping them like a bag of dirt as soon as open enrollment comes around.

SM Redwood City, CA

They will do everything possible to avoid paying, including pretending the information wasn't on the claim. They lose claims sent through the mail. They don't contact you to let you know that information they need is missing. So, you have to stay on top of of your claim, checking the system all the time, doing your own follow up, etc. Additionally, their system for filing a claim is archaic.

Angelina Hamilton Jackson, MS

My company switched to this year and I went to the dentist yesterday and found out they cover more than my previous insurance did. No deductible for my cleanings! And it’s affordable!

msau Port Charlotte, FL

this company sucks, they pay a pittance for your care and then find pathetic excuses to deny payment of this piddling amount.

Richard Abrams Agoura Hills, CA

I am a dental provider associated with Guardian. They have been a very negative experience dealing with. They have virtually no respect for my office as a provider. The one thing that they do well regularly is to take advantage to bolster their bottom line.

J B Sandy, UT

Had Guardian dental at my last job, they always provided good online tools for finding a dentist.

Ron Suarez Fort Worth, TX

I filled out the form to sign up for dental insurance. Now they don’t have any record of me signing up. The rep said to call my employer admin. My admin can’t make Guardian give me a policy number so I can see a dentist. I wish I could give ZERO stars since I am receiving zero coverage.

JANET Round Rock, TX

This insurance is horrible. My husband even asked what do they actually pay for? I have had a chipped crown in my mouth for over 6 months. They denied my claim now I am going thru the longest appeal process I ever heard of with a insurance company. My company is using them with ADP. Horrible!

Dale Mayo Lynnwood, WA

Guardian is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. They will deny your claim and force you to go through the appeal process. If you want your dental work covered and do not want to be worried about getting stuck with an expensive bill find a better more reputable insurance company.

Kaycee Orlando, FL

They don't cover any procedures, and they have a "dentist" on staff who apparently knows more than my actual dentist. I absolutely need a deep clean as I haven't been to the dentist in an embarrassingly long amount of time, but according to Guardian, I should only be going to the dentist for a light cleaning. Yeah right. Crooks.

19zander Garland, TX

Just had my free checkup and x-ray using Guardian. The staff outlined a list of services needed and out of pocket seems reasonable.

Lindsay Norcross, GA

My cleanings are covered as well as x rays. I have never encountered problems with using my dental insurance or issues with claims.

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

It is very hard to find an network doctor in my area so you always pay more than what you expect. When I have called the customer service line they have always been very friendly and professional

Grant R Philadelphia, PA

SCAM!!! They will bill you for things 6 months+ in the past with no warning and terminated your services without notice.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

We have Guardian. There are plenty of dentist to choose from. We have never had any billing issues or anything.

Reinder de Boer San Antonio, TX

Their website is a joke. Can’t change credit card info, as far as I can tell. Needlessly complex to navigate. And I haven’t even used them so far. What ID card?

Andrew Taylor New York, NY

This is appallingly bad - their dmo plan js a joke, the customer service line literally connects to nothing and has for over a year. To even offer this plan should be considered criminally negligent.

C Perrysburg, OH

Poor business practice, do not use this provider. Specified services will not be covered if Guardian believes a diagnosis is "questionable". Just bad business and bad relationship management.

Jennifer Jupiter, FL

STAY AWAY, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! They are scam artists and will come up with every excuse under the sun to avoid covering your supposed benefits. I REPEAT, STAY AWAY!!!!!!

michael walton St Louis, MO

Wait until their dentist 3,000 mi away denies your claim

Ajay Patel Southlake, TX

Great coverage! I would recommend to increase providers for better coverage and ease of access to care.

Southernsunshineforme Tampa, FL

They play games about providers to get out of paying bills. If you want to pay out of pocket this is the company for you!

Jespy

Claims filed and paid on time.

KK

no hassle, most providers take their card

Androo Jastremski Philadelphia, PA

Guardian refuses to cover night guards. They won't pay a penny. Guardian would rather your teeth break.

Kolton Lye Santa Monica, CA

Horrible experience trying to process a routine claim.

TomT Quakertown, PA

NO dentists in network within thirty miles of us and we live in a populated area.

J Cross Decatur, AL

Not good! They don't cover anything of significance!