Delta Dental Logo

7.0

LAST UPDATED: May 15th, 2022

If you're looking for dental insurance, you already know that dental health is important. A dental insurance plan can help you save on dental treatment and make visits to the dentist less expensive.

Delta Dental offers good dental insurance. Many of its plan members rate Delta Dental highly and are satisfied with the value offered through coverage, cost, and network of dentists, and customer service. If you're looking for good quality, see if Delta Dental has a plan that meets your needs.

Delta Dental was founded in 1954 by dentists and employers to increase access to dental services. Over the years, Delta Dental has grown from servicing three states to servicing all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and United States territories.

Delta Dental is an industry leader and was the first to offer dental insurance in multiple states. It has a large network of dentists and serves millions of people.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Mary from Jacksonville, Florida

"My experience with Delta has always been great. Both my spouse and I have delta and was able to stack the coverage on both of our kids braces. We ended up paying less than 1600 for braces for each after each Delta plan paid a part."

Read More Delta Dental Reviews

#3 UnitedHealthcare chevron_right
MetLife Logo
#4 MetLife chevron_right
4.1

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Plan Variety
  • High Level of Customer Satisfaction
  • Vision Coverage Available

Positive Customer Reviews

Delta Dental has earned much praise from its plan members. Positive Delta Dental reviews describe satisfaction for the cost and value of the company's plans. They also mention quick claims processing and payments. The high number of positive reviews mean that you can purchase a Delta Dental plan confidently.

Plan Variety

Delta Dental offers dental insurance coverage for individuals, retirees, families, and employers. It has six kinds of dental plans available.

• Delta Dental PPO™ — This insurance plan allows individuals access to the discounted network rates when they receive dental treatment from an in-network provider. It also has low out-of-pocket costs.
  • Delta Dental PPO Plus Premier™ — This plan is just like the Delta Dental PPO™ (Preferred Provider Organization) with the added benefit of coverage for out-of-network dentists.
  • Delta Dental Premier® — This is Delta Dental’s indemnity plan. Individuals with this plan only pay co-pays and deductibles for services received.
  • DeltaCare® USA — This plan is Delta Dental’s HMO and focuses primarily on preventive services.
  • Delta Dental Patient Direct® — With this plan, patients choose a network dentist and pay the dentist their pre-negotiated, discounted fee for the dental service.
  • Delta Dental Individual and Family™ — Delta Dental offers the same group plans (generally only available to employers) to individuals and families.

With these choices, customers should be able to find the dental coverage and benefits they need at their price point.

Dental insurance plans work slightly differently from health insurance plans, though there are similarities. The Delta Dental PPO™, Delta Dental Premier®, and Delta Dental PPO Plus Premier™ plans all have an annual deductible and copays, like health insurance plans do. Unlike health insurance plans, these three Delta Dental plans also have an annual maximum benefit. The annual maximum benefit is the most that Delta Dental will pay for covered services during the year. Keep this number in mind as you consider the treatment you may need during the year.

The DeltaCare® USA and the Delta Dental Patient Direct do not have deductibles or an annual maximum benefit. The DeltaCare® USA does have copays.

Finding a participating dentist is easy. Delta Dental members can use Delta Dental's website to find in-network dentists in their area. From the search results, you can choose a dental provider. Visiting participating dentists allows you to take full advantage of your plan's dental savings.

As you evaluate your dental plan options, consider the dental services you'll likely need. Check to make sure that your needs are included in a plan's covered services. Cleanings and dental check-ups usually fall under preventive care. Basic treatment generally includes dental work like fillings. Major services include dental procedures like root canals, crowns, and bridges. Some plans may also have limitations and exclusions. For example, cosmetic dentistry is typically not covered by dental insurance.

Some plans also require a waiting period before covering certain services.

If you like your current dentist, you should check to see if they are a provider included in your plan's network. With PPO plans, you can usually visit any dentist you'd like. If you visit a network dentist, you can maximize the cost-sharing benefits of your plan.

You should also consider what copayment a plan requires, its deductible, monthly premium, and other out-of-pocket expenses. Monthly premiums should fit comfortably into your monthly budget; however, it's important to also consider your out-of-pocket expenses.

Analyzing the full cost of a plan and what dental procedures and preventive services you need will help you estimate how much money you'll spend on dental care and find a plan that fits your budget.

High Level of Customer Satisfaction

Reviews on bestcompany.com are mostly positive. Clients are typically satisfied with the coverage and service they receive from Delta Dental. Reviewers are also happy with its large network of dental providers.

While some reviewers experienced difficulty with getting procedures approved, claims, and cost, most reviewers are happy with Delta Dental. Keep in mind that Delta Dental offers a few different coverage plans, so customer experience with cost and coverage may be affected by what plan they chose.

Vision Coverage Available

While Delta Dental insurance plans are primarily for dentistry, the company also offers a vision insurance plan called DeltaVision®. With this plan, customers receive discounts for eye exams, glasses, contacts, and laser vision correction. It can be purchased with or separately from dental insurance.

Those looking for both dental and vision coverage can find insurance options through Delta Dental.

The Bad

Availability Varies by State

While Delta Dental's plans are available nationwide, the offerings and rates vary by state. People interested in purchasing insurance from Delta Dental must enter their state, zip code, and birthday on a state- or region-specific site to view the rates and insurance coverage options available to them.

The Bottom Line

Dental care is an important part of taking care of your overall health. Good oral health and dental hygiene have positive effects on your heart and overall health. Dental insurance can help defray the cost of dental treatment that helps you maintain your dental health.

Delta Dental is a great choice when choosing a dental insurance company. It offers six kinds of dental plans, which makes it easy to find affordable dental coverage. Delta Dental has even made its group plans available to independent customers, not just businesses. This means that individuals can get the same dental benefits as those offered through employers.

Delta Dental's plan offerings and terms vary by state, so be sure to understand the specifics of the plan, like if there is a waiting period for certain services and the coverage available for preventive services and its cost before signing up for dental coverage.

Delta Dental has one of the largest networks of dentists, which makes finding a dentist easier. Visiting a network dentist allows you to access discounted rates for covered dental work. Delta Dental is an insurance provider worth considering.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

4.0

Ron Saadi Los Angeles, CA

Consumers beware. A dentist did not perform deep cleaning and chaged my Dela insurance account $1000 and received $570. I reported to Delta dental, weeks later just received a letter stating they will do nothing and they will take the side of the dentist. As a result i will be out of coverage amount for this period. In an attempt to protect other patients I will escalate this to state dental board and state better business office. YOU JUST NEED TO KNOW DELTA DENTAL TAKES DOCTOR'S SIDE. NOT the patient side.

AlisaD Salt Lake City, UT

Have had this service for years. Have never had a problem with this service. Lots of dentists are covered by this insurance. We recently had to change dentists and found one right away.

Nate C Dickinson, ND

Delta Dental of Minnesota, pretty decent company and coverage thru my now previous employer. The yearly coverage though isn't that great. $2500 max coverage for dental work. Out of a $10,000 procedure I had done this year they only covered $2,500 and I had to eat the rest. I feel there's much better and fulfilling coverage out there somewhere else.

Lisa Wyatt O'Fallon, MO

I'm happy with Delta however I wish they provided more coverage for dentures. I received a pair of dentures a few years ago and even though I'm insured under them they only paid for half, leaving me with still having to come up with three thousand dollars. Other than that they provide great preventative care for my daughter.

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

We have had a very positive experience with Delta dental. Our claims were paid on time, our dentists did not complain about working with them and we felt like they were easy to work with.

KMR R Cincinnati, OH

Poor website. if you forget your user name and password they will cancel your account and threaten to backdate your claims and not pay them. This is when you are locked out by accident.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

My family has had Delta Dental insurance for years. Finally becoming older, I have realized the actual mechanics of insurance. I could not ask for a better dental insurance than Delta. I never have any problems when visiting. Some payments do happen sometimes when extensive x-rays like a panoramic x-ray to view wisdom teeth occurs. However, I get my dental cleaning twice and year and x-rays once a year without any cost to me. It is exceptional as an insurance.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Delta dental has been a fantastic provider for dental insurance. All of my insurance needs and dental procedures have been covered through Delta dental and I find that their customer service line is extremely helpful. Most dentist offices that I have gone to have excepted Delta dental as a insurance provider which is amazing. I have no complaints when it comes to Delta dental as a dental insurance provider.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

If you have Delta Dental as insurance, then you can pay little to nothing for services. The good thing is that co-pay prices tend to decline the longer you have insurance. They also have good customer service if needed.

Kurt Didenhover Salt Lake City, UT

With a family of 4 children, having great insurance is a must. Delta Dental has been great and provides coverage for dental work as well as orthodontics which has been a lifesaver for us.

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

This is the dental plan offered by my company. I wish they had a few more dentist in my area. I few times I have had to go out of plan for a dentist. Probably more by choice of the dentist.

Tara Hansen Layton, UT

We have had Delta Dental insurance for years (probably 18+). We have had good experiences and have found our favorite dentist that accepts this insurance so that is a win!

J B Sandy, UT

Recently got Delta dental through my employer. Couldn't be more pleased with the coverage. They even had a mobile dentist in their network that came to our business.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

Outstanding dental insurance. No hassles, No fuss. Any issue is addressed by customer service immediately. 5 stars!

Amy N Sandy, UT

I don't remember every needing to contact Delta Dental, which I think is a good thing. They paid all my dental bills without any fuss.

Yi Chen Gaithersburg, MD

DeltaCare USA is the worst dental plan I've used. When I signed up for the plan I was told maintenance visits were free, but after I went for a dental visit they would charge me $30 copay for teeth cleaning and x-ray. They don't allow you to just go to any dentist in their network. Instead they would assign one for you. When I needed to use another dentist, I had to call them several times to get reassinged. First they got the new dentist's fax wrong, then their phone line couldn't understand my enrollee ID, then they got the facility code of the new dentist wrong. It was horrible and frustrating. Do yourself a favor and don't use them!

Shirley Simolari

They cover everything they disclose quickly and efficiently, they are easy to reach with questions no waiting and they pay their claims on tome

Cate Jackson

In general, I'm not satisfied with dental insurance. Delta is one of the better ones and is widely accepted, but out of pocket fees are still a lot if you need anything extensive.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

We have used Delta Dental for years and years and have never had an issue. The services that they provide and for what price is clearly listed in the literature. They have several options for different price points and had something for everyone. The customer service staff has always been quick and helpful with our needs.

Sharod Wilkes Jackson, MS

It has been great dealing with this company. There have been no problems whatsoever with getting my dental bills taken care of nor any hassles on dealing with services. Delta Dental is hands-down one of the better dental insurances around.

Amanda Hodges Little Rock, AR

I have used Delta Dental for many years and I am happy with what they provide. Having insurance is not cheap but not having it is scary. Take for instance if you need a crown. To pay out of pocket for this is easily over $1000 but with the great benefits I have through Delta Dental it was half the price. I do wish they would provide some help with braces however they do provide teeth cleaning for free every 6 months. There are a lot of dental offices that do take Delta Dental insurance so it is easy to find a provider. I would recommend participating in this insurance as an employer because it will greatly help your employees by providing great benefits for something we all have to use.

Dustin Marx Brighton, CO

We have had Delta Dental insurance through our employer for years and have been impressed with their promptness in paying providers and in making readable statements available to us. We have had dentists, orthodontists, and periodontists state how good our particular Delta Dental plan is. The Delta Dental statements are comprehensive and detailed and make it clear what our share of the cost is related to the overall charges. Delta Dental also has worked well with our providers to make our role in the process relatively minimal.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

Delta Dental has been my dental insurance for many years. I have never had a problem with a claim, I can do all of the regular dental work that I need and when I have to do some more expensive stuff, like root canals, and fillings, the insurance takes care of most of it and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I also like their orthodontic insurance for my large family.

Scott Grange San Jose, CA

Great coverage for preventative. Decent discount for cavity, crown, etc. Haven't had much problem with billing direct from provider.

Annie Brunson

Good insurance - cleanings twice a year. They don't cover absolutely everything for treatments like fillings etc. But pretty good.

Connor Smith Port Saint Lucie, FL

Delta dental allows 2 cleanings a year. The percentage they pay helps, being on a fixed income. There are many Dental offices to choose from.

Eileen J Rosado Junghanns Cumming, GA

Be careful with this plan especially if you travel between Puerto Rico and the United States. We had to travel to the United States on an emergency basis because my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia at the beginning of the year and we have had to stay to take care of her, and the minor grandchildren, while she goes through chemotherapy treatment. I had an emergency for a tooth that had been removed previously but the dentist had left a piece that was causing a lot of pain. Due to the circumstance, I had to find a dentist in the United States but to confirm that the Dentist was within my plan, I connected to their page where it indicates to connect to Delta Dental to Confirm your eligibility and where you can find details of your contract and availability of services. When I connected to the account, there were no documents detailing the coverage. It showed the name of the plan and had a section to find a dentist. At no time, when I looked for a dentist in the area I was in, did it say that my plan did not cover these dentists. In fact, the search page says: "Important note: These results show dentists who participate in the network (s) you searched. When calling a dental office for an appointment, please be sure to schedule it with a dentist on this list in order to receive coverage under your preferred network. " So I assumed it was covered. Now I have received a letter with my claim saying that the plan would not pay anything and I have to pay almost $ 700 for the service. When I called to dispute, what they tell me is that in the guidance they gave when the plan was sold they would have let me know that this plan only covers in Puerto Rico. Honestly, I don't remember hearing that and the signed papers are at my house in Puerto Rico so I can't access them. With everything that is happening with my daughter, in truth this matter has added greatly to the stress I was already in. I hope this review helps others to prevent this situation. I cannot believe the callousness for the situation that I have received from the Customer Service Department of this company. Their only answer is that they told me when the plan was purchased and that the documents I signed reflect it, but they cannot tell me how I could have found out if I did not have access to those documents at this time and do not remember that statement from the Sales pitch.

Tara Marx Brighton, CO

We have had Delta Dental insurance for over a decade. We have never had a problems submitting insurance claims. Delta Dental was there for us when all our kids had wisdom teeth out and braces.

Diane Kelly Cypress, TX

Okay No issues I always get my questions and concerns resolved in a timely matter.I don't have to worry about being transferred all through the department to get problems resolve

Barry Northrop Naalehu, HI

For nearly 20 years, Delta has been a solid insurance company for me. They abide by the upfront terms of their insurance policy and pay the provider quickly. When there is a problem, it is usually on the provider's end, not Delta's. They are sticklers for getting documentation from the provider.

Sarah Manassas, VA

I've had Delta Dental for about 5 years now and have never had any issues. I do not get suprise bills after dental work is done, and their coverage is pretty good, and my rates are very reasonable.

Larry Wilmeth Weatherford, OK

Had Delta from employer. Their services were always prompt and as they promised to my Dentist. Now that I'm retired I'm paying through Aarp and so far so good. Waiting for the 1 year to go by so they can install implants on a tooth that was broken at gumline.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I am retired now and have opted not to carry dental insurance. However, when I was working, I really appreciated having Delta Dental insurance to cover regular visits to the dentist. Delta also covered a good portion of the cost of my tooth implant and a tooth cap.

Mom of three Brigham City, UT

Delta Dental is our go to company for dental insurance. We’ve had Delta Dental for 2 years. They have great customer service, friendly knowledgeable staff, wait time of 5 minutes or less on the phone, most importantly they pay your dentist on time.

Dale Mayfield New Braunfels, TX

Delta Dental as the State of Texas administrator for our dental coverage has been in effect for less than a year, but they are very good for annual dental maintenance costs. We have rarely needed any additional dental work, but when we have, the company has been very prompt in their coverage.

Mary Jacksonville, FL

AJ & Maria Ferguson Riverton, UT

Delta Dental has been a good insurance to have. Having all of my family's checkups and cleanings covered as well as helping cover the cost of dental work is a burden lifted. Although I wish we had more coverage for dental work and orthodontia, the low amount that we pay in premiums is well worth the coverage we have.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

I am currently enrolled in Delta Dental through my employer. They have been reasonable and I have a great premium through them. All of my dental cleanings are taken care off and I don't have to pay full price out of pocket for some procedures if needed.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

Delta Dental is what I have for my insurance and they cover what I need and they also provide options for the whole family. I like their orthodontic options and their choice of dentists. They also give me the preventative treatment needed to stave off larger problems later.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have Delta Dental and it has been great. There are a ton of dentists to choose from, and they provide all the preventative care that is needed. They are easy to submit a claim through and l like their orthodontic coverage as well.

Calista Huber Mesa, AZ

I recently got Delta dental and I am so happy so far! I love how widely accepted by local dentists it is. I haven't called customer service yet so jury is still out on service and cost. But I'm so happy it was so easy to find an in network, local pediatric dentist for my kids.

Marcy Wilson Auburndale, FL

Still waiting on hold for customer service - 1 hour 18 minutes. Really? Shame!! And unacceptable! I will be changing dental insurance for my company. It sure would be nice to have an estimate of wait time at beginning of call and updates as time passed. If they have NO ONE to answer calls, they should allow a message to be left.

Prema Dasa Starrucca, PA

They double charged me for two policies, one from marketplace and one from personal policy. I had asked them to transfer market to personal and it seems it did not happen and they would not refund my money. Lack of honesty in the company and the customer service rep was terrible. Just another company out only to get your money.

Irving Fleischman Staten Island, NY

Their PPO is excellent and HMO’s don’t give many dental benefits, they are really good.

Richard Danby Rexburg, ID

Delta Dental offers insurance plans that has met the needs of my family throughout the years. They always seem to have the best rates and coverage.

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

Delta Dental has good coverage. I have had to have multiple procedures and delta has been reliable throughout the processes.

Cecilia Warren, MI

It is ok. The only problem is that the plan I have has a low max of only $1000, a year and you can blow through that with just a crown. So there would be nothing left for cleanings or emergencies.

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

Delta Dental covers 50% of repairs, provides free teeth cleanings, regular exams. It does not cover braces. There are many dentists to choose from in network. Some coverage is better than no coverage. You may want to look into additional dental coverage to add to it.

Dave Spokane, WA

Delta Dental has a large network. Claims are processed efficiently and EOBs are easy to understand. I've been impressed with their customer service the few times I've had to call.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

The rating on dental insurance is based on the plan you are paying for. It is really hard to compare services if someone is paying for a better plan. Payments have always been quick and accurate. Delta is the company that my wife's insurance is through. I have a different insurance provider and they work well together and coordinate benefits.