Aetna Logo

3.4

LAST UPDATED: November 1st, 2021

Aetna is an insurance company that began with life insurance in 1853. Since then, Aetna has expanded its offerings to include dental, vision, and health insurance. Aetna values simplicity, focus, connection, caring, excellence, and integrity. These values influence their company decisions.

MetLife Logo
#1 MetLife chevron_right
Cigna Logo
#2 Cigna chevron_right
3.9
UnitedHealthcare Logo
#3 UnitedHealthcare chevron_right

The Good

• Plan Variety
  • Dental Discount Program
  • Orthodontic Coverage Available

Plan Variety

Aetna offers four kinds of dental insurance plans:

• Network Only Plans (DMO)
  • Network Option Dental Plans (PPO)
  • Dental Indemnity Plans
  • Hybrid Dental Plans

Each plan has monthly premiums that vary depending on the specific plan and number of people being insured on that plan.

Aetna’s Network Only plans provide insurance coverage for preventive dental care (cleanings and dental exams), basic services (fillings), and major dental care. People with this plan have coverage when they visit an in-network provider.

The Network Option plans provide similar benefits to those provided by the DMO plans. The dental PPO plan offers broader coverage in and out of Aetna’s dental provider network. Customers can choose from participating dentists or an out-of-network dentist.

Aetna Dental Indemnity Plans allow reimbursements for dental treatment from the insurance company after visiting the dentist. This plan allows patients to only pay for the treatments and procedures they receive. The drawback to this plan is that patients must pay their dental treatment costs themselves and then file for reimbursement.

Aetna also offers Hybrid Dental Plans. These dental benefit plans are designed for employers. An employer choosing this plan can offer their employees more options when choosing dental insurance benefits. The base plan is an Aetna DMO. Employees can choose a PPO option or indemnity option.

Dental Discount Program

Aetna also has a dental discount program that can be used instead of insurance or along with insurance. For an annual fee, customers receive a card that gives them discounts or savings when paying for dental care at in-network clinics. This program is a nice feature for individuals who don’t want to make a monthly payment and still want some kind of financial assistance with dental treatment.

Dental discount programs are sometimes also called dental savings plans.

Orthodontic Coverage Available

Some of Aenta’s dental plans include orthodontic treatment in their covered services. This insurance coverage includes restrictions on age, so orthodontic care must be started before that age to receive coverage.

The Bad

Term Variability

The specific terms and coverage of Aetna dental plans are different depending on the insurance policy you choose. Make sure you understand the specifics of a dental plan, especially regarding orthodontics and oral surgery, before making your choice.

The Bottom Line

Aetna is a well-known insurance provider. They have several kinds of dental plans, including a Dental Discount Program, which allows consumers to find the best fit for coverage and affordability. Before signing up for a dental plan, make sure you know the specifics of the coverage terms. Aetna is an insurer worth investigating when purchasing dental insurance.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

3.9

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have had Aetna dental health insurance for over three years now. They offer a great variety of different plans when it comes to dental coverage and price. I will continue to be a loyal Aetna member in the future because of how good their coverage extends and how many offices actually take them as insurance. It is truly the best dental health insurance.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Aetna with dental insurance is great. The copay is zero! We have never paid for a dentist visit, only when we had cavities! Great company, very trustworthy.

pepsi173 Monroeville, PA

The first one that I was writing on was for my Dental Insurance coverage which comes with my total package of coverage. It is in addition to my Medicare and It has Dental, Hospital, Eye, Prescription and many programs such as Healthy Heart, Family Cares etc. they really look out for your needs. All for the one price which I did not put on the other review but will place it now on this one.

MattB Salt Lake City, UT

My employer offers Aetna for our dental insurance provider. I feel like the monthly cost is reasonable and the list of in network providers covers the provider I want to see. I am always pleasantly surprised by the amount our insurance pays of services rendered.

Debra Millender St Louis, MO

I found Aetna when I was looking for Dental Insurance for my 22 year old son who is still in school but couldn't stay under my insurance. They are reasonable price and make it real easy to sign up for their services.

Maria Artiles Fort Worth, TX

Aetna is a good insurance company. They offer the best rates that I have found so far and they cover my yearly check ups no problem. They are also quick to respond to inquiries.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

The best insurance for low-income individuals or if looking to pay almost nothing for insurance. Accepted virtually everywhere and has a very broad coverage of dental services.

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

I am always happily surprised at the amount Aetna covers for my families dental care. They work great with my providers and have excellent coverage and benefits

BERYL NESBITT Splendora, TX

They live up to what they advertise. viion and dental has been added this year. What more could you want?

Andrea

Any questions I had with the company were answered professionally and with knowledge of my insurance plan

tanesha jackson Antioch, CA

My son has this through his father's job. I have had all good experiences with the company and the plan he has is very good

Cornejo Fairfax, VA

Aetna is great company because they care and understand the need of every individual and are always looking for what is best for me.

AD Milford, IN

Fair pricing, variety of providers and good terms. Representatives on hand to answer any questions regarding policies and deductibles.

Jvan Ifi Ventnor City, NJ

Customer service took the time & reach back to me at a moment i need it the most, that showed me how much they care & thank you for your time

Sara Smith Riverton, UT

We have enjoyed our dental coverage and never had any issues with any of our claims and they were always taken care of timely.

Connor Farmington, UT

I've worked with Aetna a lot and they seem to cover everything a patient would need. They are extremely reliable and are easy to contact.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

We were able to use Aetna during our kids having braces and they covered quite a bit of the cost for orthodontics, very pleased about that.

Ronald Kemp Upper Marlboro, MD

good -always responsive in paying the bill- never a problem with yearly increases

Rachel Butler Provo, UT

I appreciated the coverage, it was easy to work with them, and I felt like exchanges were fair.

Chelsea Horstman Lincoln, NE

Never had a problem with this company. If I ever have questions, the customer service is great as well.

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

Aetna provides great rates for my dental insurance and I am happy with the way I can contact customer service.

Cameron Clark Provo, UT

Had Aetna for two years and always appreciated their great customer service. Would recommend!

Pam Robello Marysvale, UT

We had Aetna for our dental insurance. They were great and took care of everything we needed

Lilly Chen Walton

Great! Lower rates and increase coverages.

Felecia & Kevin Ollila

Website easy to use. Quick to get a response via email.