1. Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief, a subsidiary of Freedom Financial Network, has resolved billions in debt since its founding in 2002.

The company has considerable industry experience and high client satisfaction ratings.

With all the major industry accreditations, Freedom Debt Relief is a great option for many consumers. Its minimum debt requirement is $7,500. Freedom Debt Relief accepts clients dealing with financial hardship that meet this threshold and clients that can make regular payments to an account to pay for settlements. Freedom Debt Relief employs professional debt experts to negotiate and settle debt for those suffering financial hardship.

The company offers a debt settlement program that involves negotiating with creditors to lower total debt owed and is available in 40 states.

On average, Freedom Debt Relief charges 22 percent of your total enrolled debt, which means the cost varies depending on your financial situation. To settle a $20,000 debt, it will cost around $4,000.

View Freedom Debt Relief reviews below.

The Good

• Excellent Settlement Program and Debt Relief Services
  • Experience and Accreditations
  • Great Freedom Debt Relief Reviews
  • Online Dashboard
  • No Fees Charged Until After Debt is Settled

Excellent Settlement Program and Debt Relief Services

Freedom Debt Relief has several great advantages to its debt settlement services including:

• Low minimum of $7,500 in debt to begin debt settlement
  • Costs between 15 and 25 percent of the total unsecured debt
  • Free consultation with a Certified Debt Consultant

Freedom Debt Relief offers a free consultation with a highly trained, IAPDA-certified debt consultant when a consumer decides to enlist the company's debt settlement services.

Experience and Accreditations

As an accredited debt relief company, Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) has over 17 years of experience in the debt settlement industry. It has settled over two million accounts since its founding and regularly settles over 50,000 accounts monthly.

Freedom Debt Relief has years of experience standing between the creditor and the client. Freedom will work to obtain settlements that resolve credit card debt (or any type of unsecured debt).

FDR will walk clients through the debt settlement process: first, customers will voluntarily choose to stop making monthly payments to lenders. Instead, clients will elect to make a monthly deposit into a separate special purpose account to save money to pay for the settlements once negotiated. Freedom Debt Relief will then work to negotiate a settlement on behalf of its clients.

Unfortunately, this settlement process will affect your credit score. If you miss any minimum payments on your credit card or other debt, this will decrease your credit score. It's smart to have a plan for boosting your credit score before you start the debt settlement process.

If you choose a debt settlement plan to resolve your debts, the debts you settle are marked as "settled" on your credit report.

While there are some risks to debt settlement, this process allows you to settle debts, avoid bankruptcy, and become debt-free.

Great Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Most Freedom Debt reviews on Best Company are positive. They commend FDR for having good customer service, explaining debt management, and keeping them updated on where they are at in the debt settlement program.

Clients drowning in high amounts of unsecured debt (credit card debt, personal loans, medical debt, student loan debt) usually find that the company can save a large percentage of what they owe.

Despite the debt settlement program's tendency to negatively affect credit scores, clients with mountains of credit card debt find it extremely helpful for debt reduction. It's also important for people to know that forgiven debt is considered taxable income, so you may owe more in taxes when using debt settlement services.

Online Dashboard

One feature that sets FDR apart from the rest is a unique and intuitive online dashboard to track clients' pace throughout the program. This helps people to actually see their progress while settling their debts. It also offers education to help clients improve their financial knowledge.

Not many debt settlement companies in the industry offer such helpful tools.

No Fees Charged Until After Debt is Settled

As opposed to a debt consolidation company which consolidates all of a customer's debt into one consolidation loan and one monthly payment, debtors approach Freedom Debt Relief as a last resort in order to escape high amounts of debt and avoid declaring bankruptcy.

Freedom Debt Relief doesn't charge any fees until after debt is settled with creditors. This practic is standard for the industry. Debt Relief companies, like National Debt Relief and Pacific Debt, also do not have upfront fees.

Upon enrollment, customers will open an FDIC-insured bank account that the client controls. Clients will put all of their money that would have gone toward paying their debt into this bank account instead. This is the main reason why this program hurts your credit score more than debt consolidation.

Next, FDR or its representatives or agents will negotiate with your creditors to settle on debt to pay.

Freedom Debt Relief makes money by charging fees on the enrolled debt amount. Its average fees are a bit high (around 22 percent fees on enrolled debt), but its services are thorough.

The company's ability to help clients find an easier road to financial freedom and paying off debt is highly valuable.

The Bad

• Freedom Debt Relief Cost
  • Limited Availability
  • Complaints
  • Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Lawsuit

Freedom Debt Relief Cost

One concern with Freedom Debt Relief is their price. On average, Freedom Debt Relief charges $4,000 to settle $20,000 in debt (22 percent of total debt). If Freedom Debt Relief cuts your debt in half, you would end up paying $14,000 instead of $20,000.

Users are charged an average of 22 percent of their total debt to use FDR. While this number is in line with their competitors, it is only an average. Customers could end up paying more or less than this to use FDR. FDR’s prices range between 15 and 25 percent. The rates vary depending on the state the client lives in.

Current national debt relief trends indicate that debt settlement companies tend to charge a percentage of enrolled debt as opposed to saved debt. This means that the more total debt you have, the more debt settlement companies will charge you.

Although working with a debt settlement company still saves you from paying thousands of dollars to creditors, it's better to work with companies that charge a percentage of saved debt rather than enrolled debt.

So exactly how much will Freedom Debt Relief cost you? It will cost you around 22 percent of your total enrolled debt, but customers will have to have a consultation to get an accurate estimate. The fee is competitive for the industry. The fee is assessed when a successful settlement is reached.

However, Freedom Debt Relief’s services are high quality and make it easier to make your way to being debt-free.

Limited Availability

Freedom Debt Relief offers debt settlement programs in only 40 states. If Freedom Debt Relief does not offer services in your state, you'll have to consider other debt settlement companies.

Most debt settlement companies have a minimum debt requirement to ensure a payout. A debt settlement company that charges by saved debt will not run into this problem as much.

Freedom Debt Relief requires a minimum debt amount of $7,500 (the amount of which is charged fees between 15 and 25 percent). While this threshold is low compared to other debt settlement companies, it does rule out people struggling with lower debt amounts.

An additional limitation with Freedom Debt Relief is that the company only works with debtors with unsecured debt. Freedom Debt Relief is not an option for those struggling with secured debt.

Complaints

While most of the Freedom Debt Relief reviews are positive, there are still several people who have complaints about Freedom Debt Relief. The two main complaints clients seem to have are the following:

• Debt settlement takes too long or isn't as effective as people hoped
  • FDR charges too much for their services, sometimes costing consumers up to 25 percent of their total enrolled debt

These complaints are fairly common within the debt settlement industry. It’s important for clients to be fully informed about what debt settlement is and how it works. Potential clients should use the free consultation to learn more about the time it takes to reach a settlement and specific price information.

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Lawsuit

In 2019, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Freedom Debt Relief reached an agreement that FDR would:

• Make it clear that in some cases FDR may not be able to negotiate a debt if the creditor is unwilling to negotiate
  • Let consumers know that, in some cases, the creditor will only negotiate if the client is also directly involved in the negotiations, and that the consumer has the right to refuse to participate in the negotiations and can remove the debt from their program without penalty
  • Make it clearer to consumers under what circumstances they will be charged a fee
  • Stop charging fees on all accounts where the settlement amount was not reduced, or where the creditor wrote off the debt on their own
  • Make it clearer to consumers that, if they end their program early, any money left in their program savings account belongs to them, minus any funds earned by the company according to legal statues
  • Pay restitution money to injured consumers
  • Pay a civil penalty

It's a good idea for potential clients to do some research on the process, consumers' rights, and industry standards for settlement companies before setting up a free consultation with a debt settlement service. It's also recommended to read recent customer reviews to get a better sense of Freedom Debt Relief's commitment to clients and how good its settlement services are.

The Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief offers several outstanding features for anyone looking to settle their debts: all major industry accreditations, ample debt settlement experience, thoughtful and experienced debt consultants, negotiation with each creditor, and more. The company's 15 to 25 percent fees are pretty standard in comparison to other debt settlement companies (like National Debt Relief).

While people interested in other debt resolution methods, like credit counseling, a debt management plan or debt consolidation loan, will need to consider other companies, Freedom Debt Relief is a good option for those seeking a debt settlement program.

FDR's debt negotiation experience is worth the money. Freedom Debt Relief customer reviews relate that the company has saved them thousands of dollars by negotiating with their creditors. If you're looking to settle your debt through debt negotiation, we highly recommend using Freedom Debt Relief if you receive a reasonable quote from them during your free consultation.

Call our recommended rep over at Freedom Debt Relief below.

Freedom Debt Relief Frequently Asked Questions

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief is a debt settlement company. We offer a debt settlement program that helps you get out of debt faster and for less. With over 15 years of experience working to reduce our clients’ debt, we have resolved over $10 billion in debt since 2002.

How does the Freedom Debt Relief program work?

After signing up for Freedom Debt Relief, you make monthly deposits into an FDIC-insured bank account that you own and control. Once enough money has built up into this account, negotiations occur towards resolving each of your debts one by one. Once a settlement offer is obtained, we present the offer for you to sign off on. If you agree to the terms, the funds in your FDIC-insured account are used to pay the creditor. This is also when we collect our fee. Once the creditor has been paid according to the settlement agreement, the remainder of the debt is written off. We repeat this process with all of your debts until you no longer owe anything on your enrolled debts.

How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?

Freedom Debt Relief could negatively impact your credit as your creditors are not being paid every month. As such, they will report your missed payments to the credit bureaus, which negatively impacts your score. If you are already behind on payments, however, your credit is already negatively affected, so you should take that into consideration.

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?

Our fee ranges from 15%-25% of the debt, depending on the state you live in, how much you owe, and other factors. Under no circumstances, however, will you pay us our fee in advance of a settlement on a debt.

What kind of debt does Freedom Debt Relief work with?

Debt from credit cards, medical bills, department store cards, and many other types of unsecured debt could qualify for Freedom Debt Relief. However, secured debt that involves collateral, including auto loans, mortgages, and federal student loans, do not qualify.

What happens if a creditor tries to sue me during settlement?

Since you’ve stopped making payments to your creditors, there’s a chance that they may sue you in an attempt to collect what you owe them. Freedom Debt Relief makes available to its clients an optional subscription to a legal network of lawyers, which could help in these instances where you get sued.

Is forgiven debt taxable?

According to the IRS, a forgiven debt is considered taxable income. At the end of the year, they will expect taxes to be paid on any settled debt. However, IRS Form 982, Reduction of Tax Attributes Due to Discharge of Indebtedness, may exempt you from this tax. To learn how forgiven debt could affect your taxes, talk to a tax professional.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Helein!!

May 15th, 2015 Los Angeles, CA

I enrolled in the program back in February 2015. I set up a monthly payment every 8th of the month, 2 weeks b4 the 8th I decided to change the payments for the 3th of the month, When I made the changes they reassure me everything was going great, a couple weeks later I checked my bank statement, I've noticed that the money still was in my account. I called and they inform me do to the changes I previously made. automatically put me behind the program, They should it inform me when I made the changes, so my first payment was collected in March, now it has been 4 month in the program with 2 month payment, and no progress of any kind, the collectors call me every day I had send collectors letters to them, they told me they will going to make the first offer but nothing has done yet! someone told me it might take at least 6 month for them to start making offers in the mean while late fees and over limits fees are accumulating. I don't know if I made the right decision to enroll with them!! The other issue I have they never call me, I have to call them to see how is everything is well!! it doesn't make sense to me why are the waiting so long to start making offers. I enrolled in the program with 25k but the time the start making offers I will be 30k deep in debt with late and over limit fees !!

Donna Salava

May 15th, 2015 Brighton, MI

Got my first settlement so so Happy! Can't wait until I am debt free thank-you Freedom Debt Relief dor all you have done.

Bob

May 14th, 2015 Valrico, FL

Have only been in the program for a few months but so far the service has been exactly as advertised. The customer service is exceptional and despite the gent I originally signed up with (Marii Kroutilin) not really being part of the customer service portion of the company, he made his number available to me and has always responded quickly with whatever info i needed. The customer service reps at Client Services are equally interested in resolving any issues. I am very pleased thus far and since I've already had some of my debt resolved, am looking forward to even more positive results. Wish I had started sooner.

Anna Psihas

May 14th, 2015 Tampa, FL

I do not see much progress, plus the calls have not stopped. m going nuts with the calls, plus my credit is getting worse and sores, I need some progress. I am considering dropping this program if t does not get better fast

sharonkubasta

May 13th, 2015 Belton, TX

awesome so far keep up the good work

Dale Swisher

May 13th, 2015 Dayton, OH

I would like to Thank everyone at Freedom for their hard work in helping me and my family become dept free. Once again thank you so much for an awesome job that you do.

N. Sharp

May 11th, 2015 San Diego, CA

Do not be fooled by this company. They take your money and pay themselves but do not pay your creditors as they say they will. They lied to me about my accounts and I was involved with one of them in a lawsuit that could result in a judgment against me. People should know that if they are in trouble with a creditor, they can contact them without using a company who charges 21% of the original debt. Companies will work with you, and you can negotiate your own settlements. Horrible company.

Molly Barnes

May 8th, 2015 Cleveland, UT

I have had a wonderful experience with Freedom Debt Relief thus far. I have been with them less than 6 months and they have already settled one of my accounts. Senior Debt Specialist Kevin Morgan has helped me every step of the way. I am so grateful I have chosen to work with Freedom Debt Relief.

michelle brown

May 7th, 2015 Miami, FL

I found the customer service was exceptional.

Sonya Beatty

May 6th, 2015 Columbus, OH

The name says it all "Freedom Debt Relief" I can breathe! Great team. Keeping me informed every step of the way! I love it. I recommend them to everyone I know!

Rosemary Wiles

May 6th, 2015 Hamburg, NY

I couldn't be more happy. Anytime I need answers they were there for me. Freedom Debt Relief is a company I would highly recommend to family and friends or anyone who need debt relief this company is goes up and beyond to help you.

Teddi Gray

May 5th, 2015 Saint Louis, MO

FDR staff are wonderful. They told me to sit back and let them do their jobs and they would take care of everything for me--and they have!

jose perez

May 4th, 2015 Philadelphia, PA

After some confusion in the way some of the material was handled, freedom came through for us in an outstanding way!

Teresa Lynch

May 2nd, 2015 Hurst, TX

I have been amazed at how smooth it is going....

richard crisp

May 2nd, 2015 Reynoldsburg, OH

I have no real basis for rating. I am pleased to see there is progress. I look forward to the elemination of Citibank and their robocalls.

Mary Anne DeLeon

April 30th, 2015 San Antonio, TX

Taken a heavy financial burden of my shoulders, thank you for your help!

Samuel

April 30th, 2015 El Sobrante, CA

I must say that I was impressed with the immediate response taken with the accounts, they thus far do live up to ad.

MARK WILLERER

April 29th, 2015 Owosso, MI

I have nothing but high kudos for FDR in the work they've done in helping me settle my debt. They are always courteous and willing to answer my phone questions. I made some dumb credit mistakes and they are willing to help me resolve them. -Mark Willerer

Jeanne

April 29th, 2015 Lancaster, PA

There is no worrying and unwanted stress with Freedom, they handle everything for me. I pay into a fund, and when I have enough, they settle my debt.

Mark Root

April 24th, 2015 Scottsdale, AZ

They did a great job in negotiating my debt , highly recommend them to anyone .

tim williams

April 24th, 2015 Grand Rapids, MI

So far great service, told @onset first settlement would be in about 3 months, and we now have our first settlement in 3 months!!! And the best is we settled for about 50% of the debt!!! Thank You, we had not heard much about this process (settlement of debts), but am very happy with this "first". Thank you Tim W

Mary Hafner

April 23rd, 2015 Cottage Grove, MN

It is going well. I am wondering if we can settle the home depot account.

Robin Lambert

April 23rd, 2015 Harrisonburg, VA

My experience with Freedom Debt Relief has been amazing. When I first signed up I admit to being apprehensive, wondering how everything was going to go. I couldn't be more happy with how everything has turned out. I was constantly being looked after by the staff, who made sure to let me know every step of the way what was going on with my accounts. I am now at the point where most of my debt has been resolved. Freedom Debt is keeping me up to date on the progress of my last account, and I am so looking forward to being debt free. I owe all of this to Freedom Debt Relief and the amazing support of their staff.

Denice Wrinkle

April 22nd, 2015 Springfield, MO

Saw results very quickly. Every time I called they were very helpful and knowledgeable.

stella twedt

April 22nd, 2015 IL

the experience was fine.

Paul D. Allen

April 21st, 2015 Rochester, NY

Have been very easy to work with and have been willing to be flexible while I was between jobs.

Cindy

April 20th, 2015 Fresno, CA

I started the program 8 months ago with the thought I would have to put up with approximately two to three months of telephone calls from creditors. Actually at 8 months they have finally started to die down. That was one of the most terrible parts of starting the program. But also during the 8 months one company has been settled with so I have four more. At this stage of participating in the program it is at a peaceful time and I am just waiting until FDR has negotiated with the four other creditors and I will be home free. Thank you because I couldn't have done it on my own.

Jacqueline M. Baker

April 16th, 2015 Brewster, MA

I have had the best experience with Freedom Debt. They were are kind and caring. They treat you as a person and not just a number. I would highly refer them to anyone.

Kirk & Shari Ellis

April 16th, 2015 Amarillo, TX

Great customer service and response time, etc. Wish things could go a little faster, but I know it takes time!

Julie

April 15th, 2015 Cottonwood, AZ

Freedom Debt Relief has helped us so much. The calls stopped immediately and we are working on our first settlement.

Tim Mayes

April 15th, 2015 Canal Winchester, OH

Everyone has made this unpleasant situation as pleasant as possible.

Renee Presley

April 14th, 2015 Waco, TX

We were told a pack of lies. Freedom did not even begin trying to negotiate until all the accounts were sold to 3rd party collections. We told them that we do not deal with 3rd party collections and by law we do not have to. Now we will have to wait out the 4 year statute of limitations unless we can renegotiate with the original creditor. As a result our credit rating is in the toilet. Not only will we not recommend Freedom Financial, we are actively denouncing them on social media and to our friends and business acquaintances. Freedom is a rip off company.

Mary Guerguis

April 13th, 2015 Saint Clair Shores, MI

Freedom Financial is doing for myself what I couldn't do! Get out of credit card debit. I am very please and satisfied with their services. I thank all of them- very very much! Mary Guerguis

Mercedes

April 11th, 2015 Joplin, MO

I started with them in August and have only had 1/7 settled. The only reason it was settled was because of collections. If it hadn't gone to collections Id still be waiting which I think is ridiculous! I just settled with one of my debtors and settled myself for 50%. When I called freedom to let them know I need to drop that account they told me to send a fax. Why do I have to justify my actions!? You guys are sitting around collecting your money while my accounts are going to collections and getting sued by these companies. There's so much mixed information from every representative you call. I do not recommend this company at all!!!

L. Smith

April 10th, 2015 Los Angeles, CA

I have mixed feelings about the service. One of five debts has been resolved, but with the fees and potential for a 1099 later, the savings are not likely to be that great. Also, one of the accounts involved a creditor that will not deal with the service. That creditor sued me and refused to negotiate with me. The service was aware that the creditor had changed its policy of not dealing with the service, but did not contact me and let me know that until I informed them that I had been sued by the creditor. At that point I had zero negotiating power re the debt and was left having to agree to pay the full balance or face a judgment and garnishment. Moreover, at the time this was happening, I agreed to settle one of the accounts that would work with the service--that money should have been sent to the creditor that wouldn't work with the service, which would have enabled me to get a better deal. The service has assured me that the 3 remaining creditors deal with the service and will work out a reduction of the debt. I'm hopeful that is accurate and I won't get surprised by another process server on a Sunday night!

larry anderson

April 9th, 2015 Mcleansville, NC

I am in more debt now sense I signed with Freedom they take your money first before the pay your debts I think they are money grabbers down with them

Judith Smotherman

April 9th, 2015 Marble Falls, TX

Everyone that I have talked with has been just fantastic! I am a disabled veteran and having such helpful folks has been an absolute joy! If you have debts that are out of control, THESE are the folks you want to help you!

Eileen McGuire

April 8th, 2015 Lehighton, PA

Excellent service everyone was kind and helpful, answered my questions and assisted me with paperwork. I am glad I chose your company

sue yarber

April 8th, 2015 Cypress, TX

FDR has been grew!! One settlement already, hopefully more soon!!

chad derouen

April 5th, 2015 LA

I'm pleased with the progression. I thought that we would be closer to settling with all creditors. Hopefully we can settle soon so my credit score can return to where it was. Other creditors are lowering my cc availability due to the non payment on the accounts that are under review.

aaron vigil

April 4th, 2015 Phoenix, AZ

The did what they said they would / we were going to file a chapter 13 bk with 50k of debt FREEDOM DEBT RELIEF recommended there debt reduction program instead, we listened and now our debts are gone and my wife just started up her own business life is great thanks to freedom

maritza

April 3rd, 2015 Opa Locka, FL

my experience is good with freedom debit select because they are help me with my debit account

John

April 2nd, 2015 Southington, OH

has worked very well.

Rachel

April 2nd, 2015 Newbury Park, CA

I have been with the program since Aug 2014. Since then I have had one credit card settled. I was told it would take about 6 months, so I haven't been worried until now. AMX filed against me in court. I was alarmed at this and called FF and they said not to worried about it, so I didn't. Then I received an email from FF stating they were unable to negotiate with AMX and my time to legally respond to the court papers was almost up! I had about 3 days left. I was so confused and called FF again, and talked with several people all with different answers. I missed the 30 day deadline to respond because I was given misinformation to start with. I have also received a call from a representative from Citibank, also stating they don't deal with FF and I would need to work out my settlement directly with him. When I called FF, they said they do work with Citibank, but they also told me they work with AMX and now I have found out that they don't. So far I have mixed feelings and am very worried about my situation.

Veronica Maldonado

April 1st, 2015 Houston, TX

Thank you FDR for all your help and guidance. God bless every single one of you that has worked with me one on one in trying to solve my debt. We're getting there little by little. Thanks again for helping me when no one else would and most of all for believing in me.

Salud Quiming

April 1st, 2015 Ladera Ranch, CA

Above everything, I want to thank God for leading in the right path towards becoming debt free soon in the near future; thank you Freedom Debt Relief for coming to my rescue. Your services are awesome and I won't hesitate to tell others about you. This has been one of the best answers to my prayers for all troubles I have been in. I couldn't be more grateful. Thank you all of you who are working very efficiently on my behalf. I trust you will continue to help me resolve my problem. I am tremendously relieved. May God bless you for your wonderful job which I would like to tell the WORLD loud and clear. I feel I am going to have a new life, a debt-free life!!!' With great appreciation & gratitude, Salud

Kathy Bettis

March 31st, 2015 Plano, TX

I am a little upset. I have done this since last June. I was told that it would all be settled within a year. So far, I have had only one really great settlement. Mark C. called me about getting a loan to pay it off, but I took my time doing what I needed to do. I guess he just dropped it. I wanted to make sure that if I had a settlement that it would be in the loan. Most of the time, I am just shuffled from one person to the next. The person that signed me up for the program told me that he would be with me all the way. I have never been able to talk to him since that first call. I am stuck in the program, because I committed myself to it. My credit is ruined, which it was excellent before I started. I knew that it would be, so I can only blame myself. My mistake... I will be forced to hold on to the end. I just hope that it comes sooner than later.

Lawrence Franz

March 28th, 2015 Silver Spring, MD

I have been very pleased with Freedom Debt Relief since I got into the program with them in the Fall. So far they have helped me settle with two accounts and have always been helpful when I had to call up and talk to a Service Rep. about a question that I had at the time. Their professionalism has been outstanding!

Elaine

March 27th, 2015 Cleveland, OH

Settling takes to much time. I would like to see this happen in a quicker fashion.

Lucien Langlais Jr

March 25th, 2015 Ludlow, MA

So far so good. I have only be in the program for a short time but it's been good. I have a way's to go yet but I'll get there. I just hate getting the letters from my credit card company's..