CreditGuard of America is a nonprofit organization that helps people consolidate their credit and learn how to better manage money. The company offers many services including help with personal budgeting, debt consolidation, and filing for bankruptcy. CreditGuard also offers many additional educational resources on credit and money management. Because the company has been in business since 1991, it has established relationships with most of the big creditors in the United States.

The company claims they can help reduce interest rate payments by up to 30-50% on credit cards. On the downside, CreditGuard is not accredited with the major accreditation organizations and several aspects about its business are unknown.

Rank Chart

CreditGuard of America Reviews | BestCompany.com

Undisclosed
ISO,CC
2.8

The Good

Company Highlights:

• ISO certified
  • Available in 49 states
  • In business since 1991

Personal Service

A great aspect about CreditGuard is the level of personal service that it offers. The company encourages potential clients to take advantage of a free consultation with a certified personal credit counselor. This counselor will walk with you through your personal financial situation and then discuss what the best options are.

Availability

CreditGuard is available in 49 of the 50 states, giving multiple consumers access to its services.

Experience

We like the fact that CreditGuard has been in business for over 25 years. This doesn’t necessarily mean that they are the best, but it does mean that the company has a track record of learning and improving to stay in business. Additionally, the company is ISO certified, which shows that it is committed to the best practices and standards of the industry.

The Bad

Company Drawbacks:

• Unknown refund policy
  • Missing accreditations (NFCC and FCAA)
  • Small company + unknown executives

Possible Hidden Fees

While our customer complaint pool is small, multiple customers have stated that CreditGuard has hidden fees. Whether these fees are monthly or upfront, make sure to ask your credit counselor about them before signing up.

No Industry Accreditations

Unfortunately, CreditGuard does not have any of the major industry accreditations, namely the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) and the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA). For a company that has been around for this long, we would expect to see at least one of these accreditations.

Unknown Refund Policy

Another cause for concern is that the company’s refund policy is unknown. Many companies offer a money-back guarantee to unsatisfied customers. With CreditGuard of America, however, we weren’t able to find this information.

Want to see the top rated Debt Consolidation Companies? Click Here

The Bottom Line

There are several great features offered by CreditGuard: low interest rates, available in 49 states, certified counselors, and 25 years of industry experience. While all of these are things to look for in a debt consolidation company, there are some red flags. Potential customers should be wary of CreditGuard’s high monthly fees, lack of accreditations, and the fact that reviews say CreditGuard has hidden fees is cause for alarm. If you are serious about consolidating your credit card debt, we recommend looking at our recommended consolidation companies.

View Top Rated Companies

Frequently Asked Questions

Consolidation or Personal Loan?

CreditGuard of America offers a debt consolidation service as opposed to a consolidation loan. The company will work with your creditors on your behalf in order to negotiate a lower interest rate. You will then make a single monthly payment to CreditGuard who will make payments to your creditors. Programs like these typically take 3-5 years to complete.

What Is The Monthly Fee?

CreditGuard has not disclosed its monthly fee.

Are There Any Upfront Fees?

CreditGuard has not disclosed its upfront fees.

What Is The Cancellation Policy?

We were unable to discover the cancellation policy of the company. It is unknown if CreditGuard will give a refund.

Can I Get a Free Consultation?

Yes. CreditGuard offers a free consultation with a certified credit counselor to help assess your situation and give recommendations for debt relief.

More Information

About CreditGuard of America

CreditGuard of America has been in business since 1991. The non-profit organization was founded in order to help consumers manage their debt and learn how to become financially independent. CreditGuard offers some financial educational resources to help clients become more financially literate. The company works with most of the major creditors in the United States to help secure lower interest rates for clients who choose to enroll in a debt management program.

X close
X close

2 CreditGuard of America Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

August 17th, 2016 Fullerton, CA

They told me also that it was a one time fee but they charge me $20 a month. I left it though because the about of interest I pay decrease tremendously even after the $20 fee they are charging me. Some of the staff are straight out grumpy, like “why are you bothering me?” type of voice. Some of them are friendly but consider them a partner rather than a helpful agency. If a problem occurs, you have to do half the work or else it doesn’t get solved. I needed to call the credit card company because they kept charging late fee, I needed to figure out exactly what was happening to my account, I needed to follow up on status because my credit company would not respond to their request. and now I need to follow up with creditguard because the term “follow-up” or “return call” is just not in their vocabulary. im just staying with them because I do need help and I don’t know of any other agencies.

2. User Score

July 23rd, 2016 Bremerton, WA

Once I started using this service it instantly became harder to get a hold of these people. Their website is impossible to use for me because it doesn’t recognize my email address to get my username and password. I have only ever used one email with these folks so its suspicious. Their on the east coast and Im on the west coast and they do everything in EST between 830am -830pm M-F. When you call you have to go through an answering machine that asks for all your details and when you talk to a person they want all your same details too. I feel like they are going out of their way to waste my time and leave me in the dark about my account with them. When I asked why I have to give my details over and over the person on the other line asked if I wanted to call back later ( she wasnt even apologetic about it). Finally she said its the way they been doing it for years and she kept asking if I wanted to call back later. It seemed like she was not even listening to what I was saying, and creating imaginary drama in her head when I was just wanting to get information about my account.