LivingSocial provides consumers with a means of purchasing and sharing products and services in their city. Consumers can search for deals on a wide variety of products and services such as restaurants, health and fitness classes, and more. LivingSocial provides consumers with an easy to use website to find great savings in any community.
LivingSocial provides customers with a means of finding deals on a wide variety of goods and services in virtually every community.
-Wide range of products and services
-Can find local deals as well as nationwide savings
-Large potential for savings
-Great return/refund policy
-Easy access to customer service
-Receive email alerts
LivingSocial allows consumer to shop a wide variety of categories including health and beauty, restaurants, events and activities, sports & fitness, services, families, and home. In addition, consumers can search for escapes, search specific coupons, and shop for other goods including beauty, electronics, fashion, health, home goods, and kids and pets products.
LivingSocial provides information on deals in every community. Consumers simply click on or search for their community to bring up a list of deals offered on products and services. In addition to local deals, consumers can shop products offered through nationwide companies featured on the LivingSocial website.
Consumers can find deals for products and services discounted by 50% or more. This provides customers with a one stop shop to find great values on their vast selection of deals.
They feature a ‘good deal guarantee’. Its purpose is to ensure customers receive great deals from quality businesses. Their good deal guarantee provides customers with a quick and easy refund policy. All local and shop unredeemed vouchers may be refunded in full within the first 7 days of a purchase. Any unredeemed, unscheduled voucher after 7 days may be refunded in deal bucks to use towards other purchases on the LivingSocial website. Escapes may be returned up to 30 days after purchase for a full refund with an unredeemed voucher.
Receiving help from customer service is simple with LivingSocial. Their customer service website provides a phone number where consumers can reach a customer service expert who can be reached during business hours with any question. Their customer service website also includes a list of commonly asked questions for customers to access.
Signing up for LivingSocial allow consumers to receive regular emails regarding deals that become available in their community. This allows consumers to remain updated on new deals they may be interested in and to redeem their savings quickly.
LivingSocial may not be as experienced as other deal sites in providing customers with product and service deals.
-Limited amount of experience in business
LivingSocial has only been in business for 7 years. This is significantly less than some of the other deal sites we have reviewed which have been in business for 10 or more years. This suggests competitors of LivingSocial are more practiced in working with their customers and merchants to deliver great deals to consumers.
Shipping Cost and Time
Shipping costs and delivery times are dependent on each merchant’s policies. Again, customers are encouraged to view the fine print of each item and merchant information before making the purchase.
Return and Refund Policy
Customers have the option to return unopened, unused LivingSocial items within 14 days from the date delivered, unless otherwise noted as FINAL SALE during purchase process. In order to be issued a refund, help.livingsocial.com must be contacted and they will then send a return merchandise authorization, along with a pre-paid label. Customers may either have a the refund granted on their method of purchase, minus the shipping cost and a $7.99 returns-processing fee, or the option to have a full refund in the form of Deal Bucks which may be applied to future purchases. They do not offer exchanges on returned products at this time.
Refund information is as follows:
Regular Local Deal Refunds
- Customers have 7 days to change their minds about any deal they’ve purchased. They may go the livingsocial.com website and click “Ask for a Refund” on the “My Vouchers” page, unless otherwise noted in fine print that there are no refunds. If a refund is requested within the 7 day time frame, they will refund the paid portion of the unredeemed voucher to the credit/debit card, or other form of payment, used to make the transaction. After the 7 day limit, they will honor the refund request by issuing “Deal Bucks” in the amount equivalent to the paid portion if the request is made at any time prior to the ending of the promotional period.
- Non dated events are subject to the same policy as described in the Regular Local Deal Refunds listed above. Each dated event is non-refundable and only valid on the specific event date. NO full or partial refunds will be given.
- Customer may return the unredeemed escape voucher within 30 days of purchase for a full refund and is non-refundable thereafter. If, however, a voucher is redeemed with, let’s say, a hotel, then the voucher will be considered redeemed and will then be non-refundable, even if it’s within the 30 day window. When a date-specific escape is purchased, customers will have chosen their dates and complete the booking at the time of purchase. In these cases customers may return the purchase based on the cancellation policy which can be found at the time of booking. Any fees that are paid directly to the third-party, such as resort fees, are non-refundable.
- For a “LivingSocial” deal purchase, customers have 14 days following the date of the delivery to return a product, unless otherwise described in the fine print. The item must be retuned unopened and unused in order to be granted a refund which will be granted within 30 days from the date the item has been returned to their facility, minus the shipping cost. There will also be a $7.99 return fee per item.
- All Special Deals returns and refunds will be handled as stated in the fine print at the time of purchase.
Damaged or incorrect items
- Customer must contact help.livingsocial.com for a return merchandise authorization and a pre-paid return shipping label. Incorrect and/or defective items must be returned within 14 days upon receipt. Once the item(s) have been returned, a full refund will be issued to the payment method used to make the purchase.
Like many other deal sites, they offer a multitude of goods on their websites. As of the end of Quarter 3, 2014 members can expect to find:
- Broader entertainment options as they have partnered with SeatGeak to offer customers access to more than 150,00 events and 12 million tickets.
- Enhanced Restaurant Services as a set of comprehensive offerings for restaurants, tasting flights, prix fixe menus, charity fundraising and private event support.
- New Travel Offerings they’ve launched to first ever cruise promotions stating that this “gives consumers more ways to discover their world and save on trips with leading cruise lines.”
And members can always count on the deals that have been in place since the beginning, such as:
- Health & Beauty
- Events & Activities
- Sports & Fitness
- Weekend Vacation Deals
- Travel Deals
- Home Goods
- Free Coupons
- Fashion For The Family
- Electronics & more
Deals Per Day
There isn’t a specific amount of deal they post on their site daily. Deals are posted based on the merchant who wishes to advertise a deal. They work with several merchants currently and more flow in on a regular bases. Basically, it can be unlimited.
Length of Deal
Each deal is set by the merchant and deals can run from one hour to several weeks. The merchant also has the right to pull a deal as needed. For example, if a merchant runs the deal for 4 weeks with the objective to sell 5,000 items and that quota is met in 2 weeks, they may pull the deal, no questions asked.
Local or Online Deals
Each deal is targeted to a specific area, making the deals “local.” There are deals for places such as local gyms, salons, restaurants, etc. Customers may purchase the deals for the local areas they’re in, but not limited to shopping in that area, as deals can be found nationwide.
It is unlikely customers will find wholesale items on LivingSocial. Each item has a specific quantity that can be purchased at a specific price and it’s typically anywhere from 1 – 10 items for a specific deal where, again, the price does not fluctuate based off the amount purchased. If there are wholesale products, the merchant will have it specified under the product information.
They typically do not advertise refurbished or used products. When speaking with a customer representative, he stated that they prefer to sell new items to their customers. There is, however some items that may be used or refurbished and customers must read the fine print before making a purchase.
Members to the site will receive daily emails with deals that LivingSocial believes they may like based on their user account preferences. Members have the option to change the frequency of emails by going to “My Account”, clicking on the “email preferences” tab, scrolling to “my places” where they can edit their email preferences to daily, once per week, or never.
This company offers a pretty good mobile friendly website. It has a clean layout with an account and voucher button at the top of the page followed by a “search” and “near” field. After that, it’s clean scrolling for all the best deals in the area. They have a mobile app compatible with Android and iOS devices which has a pretty streamlined look while browsing for goods.
Support Quality and Type
When calling the customer support number, customers can expect to hear a short automated message before a representative answers. We found the representatives knowledgeable, polite and professional. They were able to answer questions on various topics without long holds or pauses.
Customers also have the option of viewing the FAQ page where several answers are posted for various topics such as refund policies, account information and changes, payments, tech support and more. There is also a “write us” link in which an email can be sent to customer support.
Time in Business
They have been in business for 7 years. The business was launched in 2007.
Company Contact Information
1445 New York Ave, NW 2nd floor
Washington, DC 20005
9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Mon – Fri
9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sat & Sun