Groupon Logo
LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021

Groupon has been operational since its launch in December 2006. For the past 8 years, their goal has been to provide consumers and merchants a mutually beneficial site by working with vendors to offer discounts in order to drive more traffic to businesses. They offer a large selection of product categories for consumers with a large percentage of potential savings. Their platform allows customers to purchase virtually any product anywhere.

The Good

• Large selection of deal categories
  • High percentage of potential savings
  • Great return policy
Groupon works with a large number of vendors to bring great value to their customers. Consumers will find over 50 categories to search for savings. They offer 4 main categories which include local deals, goods, getaways, and clearance as well as coupons specific to certain businesses such as department stores and travel sites. Each main category includes a list of sub categories. Consumers can search for virtually any service from restaurants to clothing stores. Planning a vacation? Consumers can search Groupon's database for deals on cruises, hotels, and more. Consumers who use Groupon have the potential to obtain up to 90% in savings. Groupon offers deals that provide a percentage off of a service or a dollar amount that can be put towards a purchase. Many of the coupons include the option to choose whether to redeem a discount online or in the store. Groupon uses what they call the 'Groupon Promise' when handling returns. They promise consumers who have used a local Groupon voucher before its promotional value expired, took a Getaway trip, or attended a GrouponLive event and were disappointed with their experience that they can contact Groupon within 14 days and they will work with the consumer to make it right. Each type of service also has a no hassle refund policy: • Local Deals: A voucher may always be redeemed from the merchant for at least the total amount the consumer paid for it. Unredeemed vouchers may be refunded if returned within 3 days. • Getaways: Purchases may be refunded if the merchant is unable to book your stay during the dates specified by the voucher. Vouchers that have passed the book-by date may be used as credit with the merchant. • Goods: Any item may be returned within 14 days of delivery on Groupon.

The Bad

• Difficult to find contact information
  • Limited years of experience
Groupon's website can be difficult to navigate when searching for customer service help. It is very difficult to find contact information via Groupon's website. The only contact information for customer service provided is a website. Only consumers who are members of Groupon are able to access the link necessary to contact customer service. This may make it difficult for some individuals to gain information and access certain questions without committing to become a member with Groupon. Groupon has been a company for 8 years. While this is a decent amount of time in business, some other deal sites reviewed have been around for 10 or more years. This gives other companies more experience in working with customers and providing savings.

The Bottom Line

Groupon offers customers a wide selection of products and services at incredibly discounted prices. Their platform allows customers the flexibility to find deals locally as well as nationwide that they can obtain from virtually anywhere. Their lack of transparency when providing contact information may make it difficult for some individuals to fully utilize their website. However, for those who are willing to join Groupon as a member, they provide an excellent resource for obtaining savings.

2.8

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have the groupon app installed on my phone and have been using the app for a few years now. I have found some pretty good deal from everything from vacations to local entertainment and resturants.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

Groupon provides me with so many ways to save money! I have used their coffee gift card offers and their massage discounts. I have longingly looked at trips to take with my husband. They offer so many wonderful deals in an easy to use format. I have never had a problem with any purchase I have made, but I imagine that their customer service is equally as great!

Austin Jarrett Provo, UT

I love Groupon! This has been a lifesaver in finding a fun date activity or birthday present for a great price! I have bought paint night activities, axe throwing, fencing classes, restaurant vouchers, and other experiences all at a fraction of the cost that I would have spent otherwise! It's fun to see what new adventures are out there and try them out! So good!

Brid Biggins

I have just left a one star review for Groupon, following an order not being received and attempts to contact them going unanswered. Following that I checked my junk mail and found messages to say that the emails I had sent were to 'no-reply' addresses. So - apologies Groupon. My fault. I then tried another means of contacting them, a web chat, and was dealt with (by Ganesh S), quickly, efficiently and in a very friendly manner. It was like a masterclass in Customer Service and I am extremely happy with Groupon at this point.

Shawneerose Shawnee, KS

I have found some great deals on groupon. I absolutely love the Bio Bidet Luxury Bidet System. As you get older it's the little thing that make life more simple and comfortable that count. I will be buying another one for our other bathroom. So simple to install. I have had no difficulties on getting refunds on anything that was not what I expected. Groupon's customer service is GREAT!

Linda R. Cape Coral, FL

Sweet Spot Spa is the best. Amy was very professional and very knowledgeable. I bought several Groupons for a Jessner Peel. She informed me what to expect throughout the whole procedure. I’ve already been back and will continue to see Amy for all my facial needs. Thanks Amy for a wonderful experience. You are simply the BEST!!!!! I’ve used Groupon for many, many things and will continue to use them for beauty, dining, etc., because they always have fabulous deals.

Jason Jordan Detroit, MI

I mistakenly made a purchase without reading the fine print, contacted Customer Service and engaged in a live chat with Keerthiga C. I honestly have to say that Keerthiga was very understanding, professional and genuinely concerned. Keerthiga assisted with refunding the money back to my bank card! Keerthiga has excellent Customer Service skills and I'm happy that I was able to interact with such an excellent Groupon Representative!! Thank you!!!!! :)

hannah barrow Greenbrier, TN

I have always enjoyed buying Groupons, and have never really had to contact customer support until I booked a hotel and contacted the hotel, only to have them tell me they did not have my reservation. I emailed Groupon and within minutes I had a response telling me that they forwarded my email to the department that could best handle it. Not even 24 hours later, they have fixed the error and contacted the hotel for me, and emailed me my confirmation number. I am so impressed with Groupon's customer service!

Kara Fort Campbell, TN

I’ve been using Groupon for many years now and have only one complaint. It seems like every time I try to use a purchased Groupon the website is down or the app reports an error. When using Groupon I’m finding that I really need to find a good time that’s good not only for me but also for Groupon. This is frustrating to say the least. I’m not sure what the issues are but what is the point of buying from Groupon anymore if I can’t use the Groupon I’ve purchased when I want to? Hopefully this time the app is only down for a couple hours and I will still have time to take the kids to Kentucky down under today.

Royal Indianola, IA

I love Groupon! I have never had a problem. I see the negative reviews are from people who neglected to read descriptions or reviews. I look into everything I purchase as any good consumer should. I save money all of the time and have never had a problem with a local business not honoring Groupon. We have done everything from go cart racing to massages, products like jewelry, air fryers, and even car cell phone mounts, eating at restaurants and going to the movies. Paying full price is just silly. I recommend Groupon to everyone.

Jodie Larson Pleasant Grove, UT

Groupon is my go to place when I am looking for a deal for local attractions and things to do. I have come across many companies that I would not have been aware of otherwise. I have loved the unique things that I have tried because I saw them on Groupon! I love that I can give a Groupon as a gift. I did have a situation where I sent a Groupon as a gift and the local establisment would not honor it! When I contacted Customer Service about the problem, they worked to resolve the issue with the local company but ended up refunding my money. All of the correspondence was through email so it did take a bit of back and forth but in the end, they took care of me. I love the money that I save through various deals. I love how easy their site is to use. I love the mobile app. I can't say enough good about Groupon!

ahwebb Buford, GA

Ordered a gift which was delivered weeks late. No problem, it happens. The issue is the return process. Sent info to get refund and return product. Received email stating needed email address for return label. Sent information again. Received email asking if in original box unused. Again sent information. Recieved email asking for email address, again sent information. Recieved email saying label sent ti email, look in spam and will not resend. There was NO label sent! Month later no refund, no label just disappointment, frustration and anger at groupon! Was a long time customer, first return, never again.

Thomas and Lidia Goodwin Paisley, FL

I got the certificate in 24 hours, love it. Great quality and personalized with my name. This certificate is well worth my time and effort to obtain it and I'll be getting another for my wife. Very quick and easy to redeem process, fast and courteous. Great for a gift also, who wouldn't to have a title?

Susan S Newth Leawood, KS

I appreciate Groupon's Response to extension of expirations and heartfelt concern during these challenges of Quarantine- I will keep My Groupon purchases and wait out The Storm of Uncertainty and Forward Your Company with Compliments...Respect for Sure!

stevey shumway Lehi, UT

I have used Groupon to find deals for several different occasions. It is a great site to use when looking for a bargain deal. I had one problem with my coupon once and their customer service team was very cooperative and helpful.

Cade Boudreaux Irving, TX

I love using Groupon. Before i shop at most stores, I check my Groupon app to see if i’m getting any great deals at the place I’m shopping. They’ve saved me a ton of money as well as giving me coupons for things I normally wouldn’t have bought without Groupon.

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

Groupon is great! This company is great at keeping you updated on the deal and sale going on within your favorite companies. They always have some of the greatest deals, I also found that their customer service is among some of the best. They just want the best for their customers.

meryl Newport News, VA

I ordered an e gift and 100 times checked the email and the recipient never received it so I had to print it and mail it. I accidentally ordered something and realized it right away so I "cancelled" it but it took several days to get it reversed. Today I saw a reminder email on an "exclusive" by invite only offer for Uber, which is my son's only way to get to work at the moment and costs him $50/day so I thought GREAT I'll get one. One was apparently the only option. I was ordering it for him and checking out and hit an incorrect button that booted me out. I went right back in and it now says SOLD OUT. My thing is if it's an invite only deal and you are only allowed 1 per member why would you not have enough to cover your invites??

MICHAEL MEL Cleveland, OH

I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER FOR A FEW YEARS. ONLY HAD 1 BAD EXPERIENCE WITH A HORRIBLE MERCHANT, BUT CUST SERV IS GREAT AND I CAN CALL THEM ON THE PHONE. RECOMMEND YOU CHECK OUT ALL COMPANIES WITH THE BBB AND LOCAL COUNTY HEALTH DEPT ( FOR RESTAURANTS) FIRST B4 U BUY ANYTHING

Scorpiomrb Houston, TX

Groupon is awesome! Their Customer Service was incredible when I had an issue with a merchant and the entire thing was resolved within 48 hours. I have purchased several things on Groupon & have never had a problem. Great deals on services!

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

My husband and I use Groupon all of the time! Almost everything that we have bought for our dog we have bought through Groupon and it has saved us hundred of dollars! We also love to go on and buy our date nights. There are lots of different activities that are on the site and it has given us the opportunity to branch out and try new things.

caz

Ordered a few items recently including packing cubes and a travel bag. Both excellent value but read a few bad reviews and was a bit worried. Checked with customer service about delivery times and received an update within the hour. Goods arrived before the 7 day estimate and was thrilled.

Ang Riverside, CA

I have had a good experience using Groupon. The website is user-friendly and simple to use. I had the best experience with microblading by Sandra @ beautybysandraspa. She is particularly great with Black skin! No keloids, very detailed, and provided professional service...

Marc San Jose, CA

I never had an issue with Groupon but recently I purchased an item using Groupon but the item was actually bought through GrouponStores. I tried to cancel this item the day I purchased it. Their return website was not working. I went on the chat site and was told that I was pass the 2 hr limit to cancel . So when item came it took a lot of time and energy to get the UPS "return Label". Finally I did receive it and worked with the on-line chat person who did refund all my money once I proved that UPS delivered the item back to their warehouse. I would be very careful when purchasing through Groupon to make sure who you are actually purchasing from.

Rosa Amaya La Habra, CA

I purchase from Groupon often. I recently purchased 5 vouchers for snorkeling at Maui. Our trip was cancelled due to weather. They told us we would have to go through Groupon for a refund. I contacted them and without hesitation, their customer service team validated our refund. I rarely write reviews but thought they totally deserve my 5 stars!!

Gennifer Woods Orange Park, FL

Since they don't have a phone number, I E-mailed them inquiring on how to transfer back a gifted groupon because my father didn't know how to use it, making it useless for him because he went to the event already. It took them a few days to even respond the first time so I E-mailed again asking if they received my inquiry, they asked me all my information like card number, how much the charges were for, how the charges appeared on our statements, etc. They originally stated that if the groupon is in my fathers name that I couldn't be the one to transfer it back. Other E-mails, they kept copy and pasting instructions from their site saying things like, in order to gift someone a groupon you must do steps.... but that wasn't my inquiry.. If I wanted a solution that I could find on the website, I know how to read. I got 10 E-mails in before finding out that I could speak to someone in a live chat, got the issue situated within about 5 minutes. Every single E-mail I received was from a different representative, literally, and I had to re-explain my issue every single time because I guess they don't keep records of conversations or don't read the E-mail to really understand what the exact problem is. I replied through my original inquiry, therefore, replying to every past E-mail, but I guess they don't know how to look back at previous conversations.. it took about 2 weeks to resolve a problem that took only 5 minutes in a live chat, ridiculous. The groupon is about to expire as well, such a waste of time. I only gave 3 stars because I haven't had a problem with the actual groupons, yet.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

I like the variety that Groupon provides. I also like the refund policy as I don't always get the chance to use what I purchase, but I still can get my money back in credit. The coupons have always been easy to use as well.

Patricia Toledo, OH

I did not receive my order for an exercise tracker and after dealing with the company that was suppose to send it with no resolution. Groupon stepped in and refunded my money and apologized for the poor service with one of their vendors. I am very impressed and satisfy with the outcome that Groupon supplied.

Karen Martin Jonestown, PA

I have purchased 2 items for delivery from Groupon. 1 was broken and had to be returned(they offered to replace and I declined).... and the other they sent in the wrong color....They refuse to fix this and the only option they gave me was to return for a refund(which they said will take a month) And reorder the item to have another delivered. Why do I have to fix their mistake??? I doubt it will order any products from them again. I have purchased coupons for local businesses from them and always been happy with that. And that is the only reason I gave them 3 stars. But I would not recommend purchasing items for delivery. For me... 2 items ordered and problems with both and on top of that Groupon refusing to correct their mistake....not a good track record!!! I'm no happy!!!

Elisa Sales Bridgeport, CT

I shop a lot at Groupon from goods to restaurants. They really have good deals, I went to I Love Kickboxing and been doing the classes, it's an awesome way of getting your daily work out, the instructors are very dedicated and interactive and Groupon has a good deal for you to started. I recommend this place in a heart beat!!!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

Groupon is amazing! I have saved hundreds of dollars on food, activities, gifts and more using Groupon. They have a lot of options and its all categorized by city- so its easy to use at home and on vacation as well. Just make sure you read the fine print so you don’t get screwed over!

Ellen Simard Revere, MA

I've been using Groupon for a couple of years. I love it! Customer service is awesome. I had an issue twice, once with having trouble making arrangements to use the groupon for horse back riding and another with a company that closed. Both times the problem was taken care of. I would recommend them to everyone.

August Moulton Lehi, UT

There is no better way to plan affordable family activities, dates, special meals, etc. I check Groupon for every city I travel to. It has allowed us to do some incredible things we wouldn’t have otherwise done. (I.e shark swim in Hawaii, bubble balls over water, dinner cruises, etc) always check groupon! I even had an expired voucher once and called customer service. They gave me an extension with no problem. Great experience.

Erin Gilbert, AZ

I absolutely love Groupon! For years my family has been using Groupon as it is the best site to get the best deals. We have had an absolutely lovely experience with the company. We haven’t seen as much advertising as we have in past years, but I believe it spread through everyone’s experiences. It’s so easy and user friendly and get the deals immediately! I love Groupon and will continue to use it.

Eric San Diego, CA

Do you want deals that will make you and your bank account happy? Look no further as Groupon has got you covered. From physical purchases to events and activities, this is the place to look if you want some solid discounts. Groupon is one of my favorite sites to use for going on small trips or getting tickets to a show at a discount. Groupon is easy to use and even offers an app to crate a simpler experience.

Tori Miller Draper, UT

Groupon saves me so much money and always has a deal on anything I am looking for. From laser hair removal to restaurants, facials, home products etc. you can find something you use or are interested in. The app is very easy to use and explains very clearly how to redeem your offer. They even email reminders that your groupon is going to expire soon and to go use it. Very good company and service

Robin Orem, UT

never have to pay full price when you have Groupon. I have found awesome coupons and deals. I bought canvas for my home which are normally $35+ for each and i got 8 canvas for $40 total. that is amazing. Groupon has coupons on anything your looking for from household items, to amusement parks, clothing, massages, etc... my first stop before paying full price.

lisa l Drew Hudsonville, MI

I purchased the 1 day pass with dining package for Busch Gardens and was the same price as just the 1 day pass so who would not order the dining package with it for the same price? They switched it and said I ordered only the 1 day pass and would not change it ...TOTAL SCAM AND BEWARE. I was not asking for a refund just change to what I ordered and after 2 hours of online chat (only type of communication with them) they refused. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM

Stephen Britt Phoenix, AZ

I've used Groupon on and off for years. I've had issues about 50% of the time. All my purchases of goods have been very disappointing - very low quality and not a bargain at any price. Consequently, I no longer buy merchandise on Groupon. I still buy event and dining Groupons occasionally. I have saved a bit of money with those over the years. Still, I've had to trade-in Groupons repeatedly for restaurants that wouldn't accept their own Groupon (Dickey's BBQ is an example)or were actually out of closed (Zorba's Greek Cafe is an example). I would add, Groupon is STILL selling Groupons for Zorba's!

Emily Tallahassee, FL

Great place to find Spa packages, I have bought several from this website and every time I have been impressed by the places and how much of a deal the website offers in comparison to face value.

Sage Loveland Kihei, HI

I have used Groupons many times. I have discovered new things and places I wouldn’t have without using Groupon. The only thing I don’t like is having them expire. I have had a few Groupons expire and I feel like it’s money down the drain.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Groupon is conceptually genius. It offers great discounts on stuff you already buy. Its is clever in organization and the stuff just works. If you want a better price-Groupon it. You'll be happy you did-I know I am!

Tiffany I Elkridge, MD

Groupon is the best. I receive their emails regularly and am always up for a deal. Used them for housecleaning, oil changes, salons... I pay the extra $5/mo for select and receive an extra discount for everything I buy

Rodney Sondergeld

I have spent thousands of dollars on Groupon over many years and have had only ONE COMPLAINT in this time. I purchased a fitbit Smart Braclet recently and was not happy with it so I rang up about it and was told to take a photo or video of the item which surprised me as I was wondering how you take a photo of an item that does nort work. I have now deleted the Groupon aap and have purchased my last item from Groupon as I was disappointed in the response I received. Rodney Sondergeld.

Glyn

I bought 2 wardrobes and bedside cabinet from Groupon and saved £100. Ordered on a Tuesday and were here by 2pm on the Thursday really great value, service and a really quick delivery. Fist class all the way.

Charles Williams Huntersville, NC

The app doesn't have all the necessary tools to do what you need to do. I've had good experiences with Groupon, except for my most recent purchase. I purchased a Groupon for a concealed carry permit course. Because the course is so far out, I decided I'm not going to use this Groupon. I'm finally able to contact customer service to try to get a refund, but I'm told since it's been more than 3 days I can't get a refund or they can't exchange it. In the past I've been able to exchange Groupons. The merchant refunded my purchase for other services, yet Groupon says I'm just out of $75 because of their poor customer service reps.

Aaron Paxman Lehi, UT

I put together several date nights with my wife with the coupons that I found on Groupon. We tried a Virtual Reality groupon and we both really enjoyed the experience. Thanks for saving my marriage.

David Pollock

My experience with groupon hs been good up to now!!! But I bought a mattress and saw they still had my old address I tried to put my new address in but it would not let me ho it did not let me know it was still my old address till after I paid for the mattress went to change the address would not let me to cut it short I had to phone them at over £3 a minute and you get all these tutorials and then you were told to wait while they do this and do that so I think the call has cost me in the region of 40 something pounds disgusting

Monica

Acuherbs has put me on my feet after 2 sessions of acupuncture and Massage and Cupping when I couldn't walk or sit down properly due to the sciatica.She is an amazing woman and I would recommended it to anyone.

[email protected] Fairburn, GA

Groupon has some good deals on occasion. Especially if they are offering some additional funds off of the price (usually 20% with a code) on select items. I have been a Groupon customer for years but recently I have run into some issues with the way they do business. The most important thing I would tell anyone to be aware of is their refund policy or LACK THEREOF. I had a few instances companies went out of business after I purchased my groupon voucher and Groupon did not want to issue a refund. They claim that your voucher should be good for what do ou paid for it forever but then if the merchants refuse to honor that agreement Groupon will not help with giving you a credit. Now they are claiming in their fine print that nothing is refundable. I find this to be bizzare, given that they market for the companies, collect your money, assure you that after the promotional value the cost value will always be there. Ect. It seems that they are not concerned with sustainability and customer happiness. I’m disappointed and would not recommend them again unless you right there about to use the voucher. Otherwise, if life happens due to your fault or not, you will be alone. Hey