Royal Caribbean International features 24 ocean liners with another launching in 2016. Each ship is chocked full of numerous amenities and activities for guests to enjoy while sailing the open seas. Thrill-seekers will enjoying cruising the newer ships known as Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas and Quantum of the Seas. These ocean liners feature zip lines, zero- gravity machines, and bumper cars. Other ships showcase rock climbing, ice rinks, and wave pools.

Rank Chart
#3
$279
4,248
7.0

The Good

For those interested in educational pursuits, there are plenty enrichment classes to choose from. You can learn a foreign language, become a wine connoisseur, or create your own jewelry. Young kids will love the DreamWorks Experience, where they can mingle with well-known characters from Shrek and Madagascar. You can also watch your favorite films poolside.

Cruise rates cover all meals served in the main dining room. Guests may select from one of two set dining times or reserve a table in advance. Guests will find numerous food choices, from doughnuts to pizza to Asian cuisine. There are standard amenities found on all Royal Caribbean ships, but there are also some unique features that vary based on what cruise is booked. These typical amenities include:

• DreamWorks Experience
  • Adventure Ocean Youth Program
  • Shore Excursions
  • Playtime for Parents
  • North Star capsule
  • Fitness Center
  • Ice Skating
  • Mini Golf
  • and More

Specialty restaurants feature more upscale choices such as steak and Italian cuisine. Additional fees may apply and you will need to schedule a reservation in advance if you want to eat in one of the specialty restaurants. Some cruise also feature Mystery Theater Dinners. Beverages are not included in the price of meals. Beverage packages are available for purchase.

Where the Royal Caribbean cruise ships travel to is also another key selling point of their vacation package. While destinations may vary year to year depending on weather restrictions and other regulations, there are common destinations Royal Caribbean typically cruises to. These cruises last anywhere from 3-19 days and are offered year round. Destinations on these excursions include:

• Caribbean
  • Panama Canal
  • South America
  • South Pacific
  • and the Transatlantic

You will also need to adhere to three separate dress codes while onboard the ship. Polo shirts, slacks, and sundresses are appropriate choices for casual wear. On smart casual evenings, a jacket and tie is required for men and dresses or pantsuits are acceptable for women to wear. On formal evenings, tuxedos and evening gowns are required attire.

Royal Caribbean International has closed-circuit television cameras located in hundreds of strategic, public locations throughout the ship but not in private staterooms, public restrooms or private spa areas. These systems are upgraded as new and beneficial technologies are developed. Recordings from these cameras are routinely utilized by our security teams and made available to investigative authorities as requested.

The Bad

Despite that there are no major service fees. Royal Caribbean does charge extra for luggage valet, full service laundry, and internet service. The Vacation Protection package offered by Royal Caribbean is also not as comprehensive as other cruise lines. The protection package includes:

• CruiseCare Cancellation Penalty Waiver Program
  • CruiseCare Travel Insurance Program
  • Trip delays provides coverage up to $500 pp
  • Accident and Sickness Medical expenses provides coverage up to $10,000 pp each
  • Emergency Medical Evacuations and Repatriations provides coverage up to $25,000 pp each
  • Lost, stolen or damaged baggage provides coverage up to $1,500
  • Bag delays provides coverage up to $500
  • CruiseCare Worldwide Emergency Assistance Program*

Some alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages may also incur extra charges on your cruise bill. Ships can feel crowded and cramped, especially around holiday vacations. Not all amenities are covered. Also, transfers are available for pre-purchase from the arrival airport to the pier on day of sailing and from the pier to the departure airport on debarkation day only.

The Bottom Line

Royal Caribbean International Cruises have entertainment and amenity options that guests of all ages will enjoy. The destination cruises are affordable for families and those on a budget or seeking a deal on their next vacation package. Older adults will also enjoy their travels on these cruises as well.

Activities that are both relaxing and energetic provide fun and excitement for both children and adults. The only downside to cruises offered by Royal Caribbean International is the extra charges for offshore activities and some of the onboard amenities.

Overall, Royal Caribbean is a recommended cruise line for customers enjoyment.

See “Full Details” Tab (top) for further details

Audience & Convenience

Target Audience:Royal Caribbean International Cruises appeal to a wide audience

Cruises last 3-19 days and are offered year round.

2015/2016 Destinations
  • Panama Canal
  • South America
  • South Pacific
  • and the Transatlantic

Transportation services from airports to the ports

• Transfers are available for pre-purchase from the arrival airport to the pier on day of sailing and from the pier to the departure airport on debarkation day only.

Safety

How do they prevent theft?

Vacation Protection

Featured Trips
  • 4 Nights Bahamas Cruise from $454 USD per person
  • 6 Nights Greece & Adriatic Cruise from $873 USD per person

Activities/Services

Standard on all cruise ships

• Self Service Laundry

• Cooking Demonstrations
  • Scrapbooking
  • Guest Lectures

Service Fees

Do any of the services on the boat cost?

• Luggage Valet

X close

329 Royal Caribbean International Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

November 22nd, 2015 Providence, RI

I am giving my cruise that we took in March 2015 a 5 only because we did not expect to be cruising with 1700 college spring breakers and we should have been informed of this when we booked directly with RCI. We sailed on the Liberty of the Seas and this was our first cruise with RCI and beside the rude college kids with their filthy language, this would have been one of the best that we sailed on because the ship in itself was beautiful and the entertainment was great. BTW this was our 15th cruise. Not too much compensation from RCI except for a $100.00 OBSC to be used on a future sailing.

2. User Score

November 22nd, 2015 Cherry Valley, MA

trip started out well, but items were stolen from our luggage last night as they packed up. Heartbreaking when camera with photos gone and shopping memorabilia stolen. will not travel with them.

3. User Score

November 22nd, 2015 Syracuse, NY

Cruised Oct 11th on Indy loved it, if you don’t enjoy a Royal Cruise you have serious problems. Everything about the cruise was great, best cruise director in the the fleet Ricky Williams!!!!

4. User Score

November 19th, 2015

BEST cruise company!!!!!!! Great service, great people, great activities, great ships, great food! Great staff, great pools, great childrens programs, great rooms, great pictures, great room stewards, great entertainment, great snacks, great programs for crown and anchor guests, great ports, its all great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. User Score

November 19th, 2015 Chesapeake, VA

My wife and I had a great cruise to New England and Canada. Ports of call were great, food was fantastic. Service was fantastic. This was our 5th cruise with Royal Caribbean.

6. User Score

November 19th, 2015 Elkhart, IN

This was the best vacation we have ever had. I can not wait until next October to go on the same cruise again. Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Sea was the most fascinating and exciting trip I have ever been on. I can not say anything negative about this cruise or the cruise line.

7. User Score

November 18th, 2015 Lithonia, GA

Awesome ship. My favorite ship

8. User Score

November 17th, 2015 Clifton Park, NY

Just finished a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas and could not be happier! Next up? A nine day cruise on the Anthem of the Seas. Can not wait!

9. User Score

November 17th, 2015 Uxbridge, MA

After several cruises with RCI we are now anxiously awaiting out next one in Feb… We have met many who have tried other cruise lines but have come back RCI… If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…. We love RCI…!!

10. User Score

November 17th, 2015 Saint Petersburg, FL

Can’t see a Caribbean cruise without being able to enjoy a banana daiquiri. For some reason, not available on RCCL anymore. 🙁

11. User Score

November 17th, 2015 Melbourne, FL

Just returned from 7 day cruise on the freedom and was very disappointed. The service was just ok and the food was below par, nothing compared to previous cruises. I have pic’s where there was jam on our table on the balcony for four days and hair on the deck for our entire stay, pic’s don’t lie. I can have ok food at Mcdonald’s. The service was below par and all of the 38 people in our party said the same thing. One of our silver members a had the head chief come out because the food was cold, and the last night the fish was left on the plate Sorry to say but quality on this Royal Caribbean cruise was below par.

12. User Score

November 16th, 2015 Essex Junction, VT

My first and only experience on Royal Caribbean left me wanting to return immediately. Royal Carribean bumped it’s way up to my favorite cruise line. We like the smaller ships and chose to take a New England/Canada cruise leaving out of Boston. Boarding was very quick and efficient. Our rooms were not ready so we had to take our carry on luggage with us to the buffet… where we were all directed to go to wait.

The food was wonderful, there were a lot of choices ..and lots of options to eat healthy. It was well laid out, so there wasn’t a lot of congestion.

The emergency drill was one of the least painful, and informative ones that I had ever experienced! Understandably they are necessary, but usually long, drawn out and tedious… to the point your mind wanders during the during the experience.

Our room was nice, tho a bit smaller than we were used to.. Our room steward was wonderful, friendly and helpful, often going beyond the call of duty.

Much to my dismay…. we were only able to get a early dinner seating… I wanted the flexibility to eat when I wanted. Much to my surprise … this ended up being a wonderful experience. We sat with the same people every night, at a large table. We bonded with one of the couples, spending a fair amount of time with them during the rest of the cruise.Our waiters were dynamic.We could not have asked for better ones. They remembered our preferences each night… and while being very attentive… they each had a great sense of humor, which added to the fun. The food was great. Portions were good.

We had breakfast and lunch in the buffet each day, it was varied, and never got old or boring.. which is a rarity on many lines.

Nite life and activities were more geared to the 80’s 90’s- lots of trivia and games. Not much in the way of enrichment or crafts… Alas I had experienced better evening shows on other lines.. these shows were worthy of 2 stars out of 5.

We had to be tendered in and out of Bar Harbor, again this was one of the better organized tendering experiences I had. I was sad… that RC was so rigid about us bringing food back on the ship tho. In all fairness we were warned ahead of time, so it was not a surprise.

We traveled to 4 ports, all good choices.
    Let’s see…. I didn’t mention the demographics… There was a good balance of all ages.. from toddlers to seniors. There were 80 kids on the ship, however you rarely saw them… one of our dinner table companions was a teen, who raved about the teen programs available to her as well as the teen assigned staff.

Last, but not least was the debarking.. Again this was one of the most organized least painful that I have ever encountered. We were assigned a group and a place to stay while we awaited out time to leave the ship. We were sent to a lounge where there was fresh coffee, tea and juices as well as fruit and pastries available to us while waiting. It was an overall wonderful experience.Once we were called… we were off the ship in minutes. An overall great experience, that I am eager to repeat.

13. User Score

November 15th, 2015 Weatherly, PA

This is for Grandeur of the Seas for 10 nights to the Western Caribbean – Room 3140

WiFi is very expensive, but only works about 2 hours a day tops. Extremely slow so incredibly frustrating. Here’s a tip; Go to the 3rd floor elevator or the 5th floor guest services and you are much more likely to get on wifi. Went to customer service and they basically blamed our devices. I guess nobody has an iPhone 6 and a 6+. Such rare devices they must be unique. I even reset my phone settings and network settings just in case. Two devices. Same problems. Dropping at the same time and different times. Never working very long.

Was at lunch which was supposed to be until 3p. 2:30p the food is going away. I only got there at 2:20p because I thought I had 40 minutes.

If you don’t bring Advil you won’t be able to walk after sleeping on the beds. I was in unbearable pain for the first 4 days before I figured out to take Advil. Before that I was taking 2 Tylenol every 4 hours to just be able to think because the pain was so bad.

One of the first shows was really not fun because a woman decided to get very drunk, and thought it was appropriate to not only interrupt the show, but to get on stage and hit on the performer. It took a while before the performer had to ask for security to get her off the stage. Sloppy drunks are annoying.

Slot machines are set to have very low payouts. Basically everyone said that the machines just eat money and they never saw anyone winning.

When getting off in Cozumel don’t do an excursion that involves the ferry unless everyone in your party is good at roller coasters. Woman threw up behind me. Wife had to see a doctor after.

When getting off at any port don’t waste your money booking excursions through the ship. There’s this lie that they will make sure you end up on board if you book through them but we were going to be left behind because the ship “Doctor” didn’t feel comfortable treating my wife.

The “ice tea” is brown water that tastes badly. The lemonade is sometimes good but most times way too concentrated and you have to add 3 cups of water to make it drinkable. The only good free drink was the fruit punch and it was only on Labadee. I get that you want me to spend like $24/day for me and like $24/day for my wife to have drinks that but we did pay a pile of money for the cruise.

If you have coupons because you are at the Gold or higher Crown and Anchor rewards program level don’t expect most of the staff to tell you there’s a discount. Second time to Ben and Jerry’s we found out about the 25% discount.

If you end up unable to leave the ship on a port day don’t expect anything to be open or for there to be anything to do. Not even a movie on the screen by the pool. How much would that cost the cruise? Even freaking TV on that screen. Ok there was one movie on the day we got stuck. That 2 hours was the highlight of our day. Then we thought we’d go to bingo which was at the time people get back but there were not enough people so it was cancelled. Like 27 people. Takes more for it to be profitable so not worth it for the cruise.

Thought we would do trivia because there are a lot of trivia games. Watched the same person at the same table cheat on multiple games. If people are going to cheat and win then what’s the point????

The couple of sodas for the “mini bar” in the room. Looked at the Sprite can and it was expired. WTF?

The best part of the cruise was the time off the ship in Jamaica. We wished we didn’t have to get back on the ship ever again. Unfortunately there were 3 full days left after.

On Labadee… Which is a private beach…. The people selling things are worse than being in Times Square. All of them selling the same thing and all of them nagging you until you look at their junk they have made. I turned back to the beach because they wouldn’t let me simply walk about and look. WTF is up with that on a private beach?

All in all the biggest waste of money. Not worth going on about. My first and last cruise. Not going to do this again. If I could go back in time I would have kept our wedding gifts and not wasted them on this cruise.

14. User Score

November 15th, 2015 Hopkins, SC

I LOVE, LOVE Royal Caribbean! After 5 cruises on several different ships, it hurts my heart that they double their prices at Christmas, forcing me to travel different, but good, alternative cruise line. In my heart, Royal Caribbean is the absolute best!

15. User Score

November 14th, 2015 Biloxi, MS

It okay but the point system said I achieved 21 points before my last cruise .I was going to choose another cruise I stayed at 21 points and they didn’t put me up another level so I didn’t book another trip. The mini suite was good but the food was not up to cruising experience.

16. User Score

November 14th, 2015 San Antonio, TX

Only cruise line we sail is Costa and Royal Caribbean. We just got off the Navigator on Oct 25th, this was our second cruise on this ship. We loved it and ready to try the a larger ship. The is food is good, bug the entertainment was lacking something this time around.

The only negative remark I have about the ship is I wish the workout area would open up at 5am instead of 6am. I get up early to work out our walk and the only place is on top of the deck or in the hall ways if its raining.
    Our next cruise will be back to back on the Harmony next Oct and Nov 20016, hope the larger ship works for us and enjoyable.

17. User Score

November 14th, 2015 Los Angeles, CA

was a very good trip had lot of fun every one was very nice and helpful

18. User Score

November 13th, 2015 Winter Haven, FL

Have been on two cruises:: a 3 night and just completed a 7 night. Stateroom attendant was efficient and professional. Never had a problem. Food was excellent in dining room and staff attended to every request with a smile. Scheduled for another cruise in August “16.

19. User Score

November 13th, 2015 Syracuse, NY

Just came off cruise on Indy Oct 11 great cruise, great ship, excellent entertainment. I have also cruised on the Oasis during her inageral season and I never felt overwhelmed by to many passengers also excellent experience, some people are never satisfied, loved it.

20. User Score

November 13th, 2015 Corpus Christi, TX

We just got back from cruising on the Oasis of the Seas! It was beyond our expectations! Everyone went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect! The food was fantastic as was the staff! Clifton was our stateroom attendant! He is an asset to Royal Caribbean! He went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed! Howard and Jude in the Casino were also awesome!!