Holland America caters to affluent older adults with midsize ships that set sail for up to 115 days. Holland America primarily caters to travelers 50 years old and up, but families are welcome. Holland offers affordable cruises to 14 destinations worldwide and convenient amenities to make any travelers stay relaxing and luxurious. Activities are mainly adult-oriented. However, limited programs for children and teenagers are available. Staff members are known for remembering passengers' names, even if they have not seen them for years. Holland America Cruise Lines is one of the oldest cruise services available, having served customers for over 100 years.
- Babysitting services
- Enrichment programs
- Great amenities
Babysitting services are available for children under 12 years of age for $5 per hour for the first child, which is generally cheaper than most other cruise lines. In-cabin babysitting services are available for $8 per hour, assuming a crew member is available. However, playrooms are subjected to limited availability during non-summer months.
Guests can take part in enrichment programs to learn skills such as cooking or photography. The 14 ships feature extensive art galleries. Adult entertainment includes onboard casinos, bars and lounges, and Broadway-styled performances. All ships feature a wraparound promenade deck for walkers and joggers as well as for those who want to relax in the sun on padded steamer chairs. Cruise ships travel to a number of different destinations as well. These destinations include:
- Alaska and Yukon
- Australia and South Pacific
- Canada and New England
- And many more
Play basketball, tennis, volleyball on any of the ships. Golf is available on the Ms Prinsendam. Relax and unwind at the spa or take a fitness class for an additional fee. Yoga and Pilates classes are available as well. Movies are available to enjoy, and popcorn is free. Other standard amenities found on all cruise ships include:
- Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
- Complimentary sparkling wine
- Complimentary bottled water
- Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
- Cold hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
- Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
- Cocktail party with ship's officers
- Priority boarding for tendered ports of call
- Special disembarkation service
- Priority dining and seating requests
- Exclusive daily breakfast service
- High tea service in suite on request
- A variety of firm, medium, and soft pillows
- Premium duvet; oversized bath towels; and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
- No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining
- Personalized cruise stationery
- One-touch telephone concierge service
- Our signature Mariner's Dream™ bed featuring a plush Euro-Top mattress and finely woven cotton linens
- Daily housekeeping to tidy belongings and keep staterooms immaculate
- 100 percent Egyptian cotton towels
- Lighted magnifying mirrors; massage shower heads; salon-quality hair dryers
- Luxurious bathrobes for use during the voyage
- Fragrant soaps, lotions, shampoo and other bath amenities
- Flat-panel TV and DVD player
- Complimentary DVD library
- Safes for your valuables
- Complimentary fresh fruit on request
- Complimentary 24-hour In-Room Dining
- Nightly turndown service
- Complimentary shoeshine service
- Complimentary ice service
Entertainment for Kids and Teens
For kids, Holland Cruise Lines has playrooms with PlayStations, toys, arts and crafts, and more. Teens will enjoy a place just for them called the Loft that features a dance floor and video screens. Teens will also have their own Oasis featuring a beach-like setting with chaise lounges and a waterfall.
CPP Platinum enables you to cancel for any reason, at any time up until the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line, and receive a refund equal to 90 percent of the prepaid, non-refundable portion of your cruise vacation.
- Limited activities
- Extra costs
- Limited specialty cruises
Cruises offered from Holland America Line is typically more expensive than mainstream competitors like Norwegian or Carnival. Onboard activities are limited for all ages, especially during non-summer months when less kids are on board. Activities end early in the evening compared to other ocean liners.
Specialty restaurants are not included in the rates. Dinners range from $29-$49 per person. Dinner reservations for specialty restaurants must be made prior to boarding the cruise liner. The only exception is the Pinnacle Grill which allows for reservations to be made onboard. Beverages are not included in the cruise fare. Dress codes are highly formal. Also not included in the initial price includes:
- Shore Excursions
- Dining at Pinnacle Grill
Limited Specialty Cruises
Holland America Line offers two types of specialty cruises. Considering the number of cruises they send out every year, there should be more "specialty cruises." The two options include:
- Ten day trip to Alaska $774 per person. Sail from Vancouver, glide under the Lion's Gate Bridge, and enter the scenic wonders of the Inside Passage. Enjoy deluxe motor coach sightseeing to Denali National Park for a one night stay at this majestic national treasure (lunch included).
- Fourteen day trip to Australia and New Zealand $1,499 per person.
You may bring a bottle of wine onboard the ship. There is no charge should you drink in your stateroom. However, there is an $18 corkage fee to drink wine in restaurants or if you choose to purchase bottles at ports of call.
The Bottom Line
Holland Cruise Lines is designed for older guests who desire affluent accommodations. Families seeking unlimited family-friendly activities might find better accommodations on another cruise liner. For those seeking culture, elegance, and sophistication in luxury, Holland America Cruises Lines is the perfect fit.