American Cruise Lines Logo

American Cruise Lines

Is This Your Business?

5.9

American Cruise Lines is a historical tour cruise line based out of Connecticut. Cruises are offered year round and last 7-14 days. The company's ships travel to Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, up and down the Mississippi River, and across the Northeast and Southeast United States. American cruise lines also offers special theme cruises such as their Lewis and Clark Cruise, Civil War Cruise, and Mark Twain Tribute Cruise.

The Good

• Safety
  • Great amenities
  • Dining options

Safety

American Cruise Lines, Inc.'s ships are equipped with safety, navigation and communications systems, including defibrillators and oxygen. Many systems on the ships have back-up redundancy for safety and convenience. All American Cruise Lines, Inc.'s ships are U.S.-flagged, certified and regularly inspected by the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Public Health Service and the Federal Communications Commission.

Great Amenities

American Cruise Lines features spacious staterooms at more than 220 square feet each. These staterooms provide private balconies and large picture windows with a spectacular view of the sea and landscape. Each room includes the following amenities:
  • Twin or King-sized bed
  • Twice-daily stateroom service
  • Remote-controlled satellite TV w/DVD player
  • Internet access
  • Individual climate control system
  • Writing desk & stationery
  • Hair dryer
  • Spacious closet and four-drawer dresser and dual night tables

In addition to the spacious staterooms, there are amenities relatively standard on all American cruise line ships. While there may be one or two exceptions, for the most part American cruise lines feature the following amenities to their guests:
  • Twice-daily stateroom service
  • Writing desk & stationery
  • Hair dryer
  • Spacious closet and four-drawer dresser and dual night tables

Dining Options

Dinner options include local fare from the port destinations during the length of the cruise and the restaurants cater to any special dietary needs of its guests. Enjoy freshly baked breads and muffins to start your day and steamed lobsters, beef, and lamb during the evening hours. Lunch options feature sandwiches, soups, and salads and delicious pies for dessert. Chilled red and white wines are served each day during lunch and dinner. Dress codes are resort casual and seating is unassigned.

Lounge Areas

The American Cruise Line ships also contain oversized lounges for guests to relax, socialize, and play games. These lounges have a well-stocked library and internet stations. Wifi use is free for guests to enjoy. Guests are also welcome to bring visitors onboard.

The Bad

• No activities for children
  • Offshore excursions
  • Seasickness

No Activities for Children

American Cruise Lines is designed for older adults without children. There are no activities or programs for children. Entertainment options for adults are limited to nightly lectures from local experts, offshore excursions, and chatting with other fellow passengers during the evening cocktail hour. While the line does serve alcohol during lunch and dinner, it does not sell alcoholic beverages to guests or visitors.

Offshore Excursions

The cruise line ships only set sail twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. The rest of the time, the ships are tied up at docks for offshore excursions. While the offshore excursions are relatively inexpensive, they are limited in options and consist mainly of tours walks with local historians and bus tours to museums. These excursions range in price from $20-$75.

Seasickness

American Cruise Line ships are built to rarely move during sea travel and minimizing seasickness. However, the small sizes of the ships and lack of stabilizers do create uncomfortable motions during some exposed passages. For guests not accustomed to cruising, these sea motions can be quite unpleasant.

The decor on the American Cruise Line ships resembles that of a generic hotel chain's front lobby. Color palettes throughout the ships are muted and plain.The biggest upside is the main lounge with tall windows that provides the perfect vantage point for passing scenery outside the ship. Luxury amenities are limited when compared to their cruise lines in the industry.

Deposit

There is a $500 deposit required per person in order to confirm any reservation for a cruise lasting less than nine days. A $900 per person deposit is required for all trips lasting ten or more days. Complete payment for any booked cruise is to be made 90 days prior to the boarding date. Single travelers are welcome. Shore excursions typically cost $20 to $70 and can be paid onboard near the end of your cruise.

The Bottom Line

American Cruise Lines is an optimal choice for older adults without children. While these guests are not excluded from booking a reservation, this cruise line is not designed for families with young children or teenagers as there are no entertainment options or activities created for them. The cruises and offshore excursions are reasonably priced. However, entertainment options are limited. The historical tours and evening lectures are perfect for history and culture enthusiasts.The dress code is resort casual and the ships offer open seating in restaurants, which is a big plus for guests who love to meet new people and socialize. Fares include passage, dining, snacks, and complimentary cocktails. The ships are small and intimate, allowing guests to move around easily in a relaxed atmosphere. There are little complaints filed against American Cruise Lines when compared to other excursion companies in their industry.

Linda Omaha, NE

I have cruised with American Cruise Lines twice & have another one booked. Booking my cruise by phone was easy, thanks to the Cruise Specialists. Aboard ship, all of the crew were professional and pleasant. The dining room servers were very personable & made our meals (which were delicious!!) enjoyable. The on-board presentations were interesting and the entertainment was great. Rooms were clean & kept that way by being serviced twice a day. Overall, I have been impressed with American Cruise Lines because they treat their guests like each one is important to them. My most recent cruise was interrupted by unforseen circumstances. The hotel manager and cruise director arranged alternate activities for us. Because this cruise was shortened by a few days, American Cruise Lines offered us a very generous discount to be used on another cruise. In this day and age when customer service seems to have disappeared, I can verify that customer service is still very important to American Cruise Lines.

Wallingford Wallingford, CT

Will be taking our fifth cruise with American this Spring. From the moment we hand our luggage to the crew in the red shirts we receive the kid glove treatment in every way possible. We immediately relax, and we feel AT HOME. We are not part of a mindless herd; the size of the ship and the level of service we enjoy make it the most genteel way we know of relaxing and enjoying the whole cruising experience. All of the amenities we want, none of the ones we're never going to indulge in in the first place. We feel safe, coddled, catered to. Different people want different things..I have no desire to get in a hot tub with 14 strangers, or have the smoke cleaned out of my clothes daily from walking through a Casino. A smiling face without a hand held out for a gratuity. Not a spiked heel, or a wife-beater t-shirt in sight. I often find myself looking around at my surroundings, sighing happily and thinking "how nice". American Cruise Lines is perfect for us.

Sharon McNamara Bowie, MD

My experience started off not good as I had bought a ticket thru ACL to go to the Grand Old Opry. Mistake. The ticket was not in my folder when I got to the Gaylord HOtel. They said it would be at the ticket booth. It wasn't. Four of us didn't have tickets and we were in the heat for over an hour while they tried to figure out where the tickets were for us. I had my receipt fortunately. They were all over the place looking for the group coming in from St. Louis. 10 minutes before the show started people started coming in from the buses. The people from the Grand Ole Opry ran down to the buses and got our tickets. I HIGHLY recomend you come up with a better solution to this. It's not fun not having a ticket in your hand after you've paid for it. It was so HOT and just frustrating. The trip was enjoyable and I did appreciate ACL providing us a hotel room at the end because the river had flooded and we would have had a 2 hour bus ride to the airport coming home. We were told that several had canceled going from St. Louis to Nashville so rooms were available. Leaving for the airport at 4 am would not have been good for anyone.

Ron Cooper Round Rock, TX

We thoroughly enjoyed our Puget Sound cruise In September 2019. The entire crew was very focused on guest comfort. The attention to detail was excellent. The food was very good and selections were fine except too much spinach. I have 2 constructive criticisms. 1) concerns the gangway for boarding and exiting the ship. It is a little shaky. There was always a crew member on the dock ready to assist and their assistance was needed at times. The gangway has railings but not at the dock end. I would like to see railings added at the dock end of the gangway. 2) I’d like to have a nightlight in the bathroom.

TP Beacon Falls, CT

This is the third cruise my wife and I have taken with American Cruise Lines. Each one seems to get better and better. This last one was the inside passage in Alaska. Every day was chock full of amazing scenery and magnificent wildlife. We saw bear, moose, eagles, otters, seal, sea lions, whales and countless other bird life. The small size of the ship afforded us a very up close view of countless glaciers. The food of course was wonderful. Also the ship offered complimentary wine and beer at lunch a happy hour from 5:30 to 7:00. Wine or cocktails at dinner and finally another happy hour at 8:30. The age demographics do tend to lean towards the older traveler, but my wife and find the passengers to not only be accomplished in their respective fields, but very interesting people. I highly recommend American Cruise Lines.

Galen Fishers, NY

Sales, accounting, back office stuff smooth and quick Included tours appropriate and interesting Mgt staff outstanding; Jaimie and Richard extended themselves to ensure a great passenger experience. Food was very good but not quite up to the Mississippi cruises. interesting menu change of two featured offerings with repeated standard ones. Only bailed to BLT once. Wait staff above average with trying and being pleasant. Interesting change to concurrent cocktail / dining hour - worked okay. Entertainment - a challenge for a small boat, enjoyed the interactive "cowboy" best, the 4 saxes were good but more of a concert feel. Staff scrambled well to handle cancellations. Red Lion excellent pre-cruise lodging. Good enough to reserve #4 cruise.

Arlene Crosson

This was my first cruise with American Cruise Lines and it won't be my last. Every member of the crew made our journey carefree and fun. The accommodations, food, service, shore excursions and overall atmosphere on the ship was excellent. I was a little apprehensive because the Mississippi River was at flood level, but we managed to visit all but one of the places listed on our itinerary. We did have to dock at some alternate sites, but every effort was made to get to the rest of our itinerary. Leaving at the end of our trip was sad but we had a fun bus tour of New Orleans with Don Downs and a drop off at our airport. Don't hesitate to take a trip on American Cruise Lines.

Paula Kunkel Irvine, CA

This was our second cruise with American Cruise Lines. The boat was rather new and beautifully decorated. Our room was clean, quiet, and convenient. The food was beautifully served and delicious. There were ample selections at each meal and we appreciated that we were able to have 1/2 portions. The new snack bar service on the upper deck was a fun and convenient way to get a lighter meal. Our main server, Patricia, was exceptional. We were very please with the itinerary because of our interest in the history of Lewis and Clark. The only time we felt a little rushed was at Cape Disappointment. Perhaps that should be scheduled earlier in the day and maybe precede Fort Clapsop.

Joan Mattson Cedar Rapids, IA

We have traveled with ACL to the San Juan Islands and the SE United States coast. We are scheduled for another cruise soon. Small ship cruising with them has been wonderful. Attention to our needs by wait staff, cruise staff and housekeeping have all been very good. Our rooms have all been clean and well kept while cruising. I realize this all looks glowing and it really is! We have been on the big ships but just do not feel that is a good way to spend our money.

CAROL A JORDAN Randallstown, MD

I have previously done two cruises with American and have another coming up shortly. Their staff is wonderful, the food is delicious, the tours are unbelievable. I'm a solo traveler and couldn't be more comfortable than I am with American. I feel safe and happy whether I'm on the ship or out and about on a tour. I wouldn't travel in the US with any other cruise line!

Thelma Jean Gosney Belton, TX

We Love the meeting of new friends on board American Cruise Ships. Being older we are able to get around to all activity where everyone is helpful and nice. We have seen up close mountains, whales, bears and dolphins. So many things can be seen from these small ships. Hope to celebrate our 70 th wedding Anniversary on board an American Cruise Ship. Mrs Gosney

JO New Milford, CT

We had never been on a cruise and my husband hates crowds, so small boat cruising was a compromise. We booked an Alaska adventure and there was no compromise. It was wonderful. The service, the side excursions, the food were all wonderful. My husband is 6'2" and had no complaints about the balcony, the cabin or even the bathroom. The captain made sure we had time to experience the wonders of Alaska, even stopping to let us watch a mother bear and two cubs playing on the shore and changing course to follow a pod of whales, to give us more time to watch them. All things your big ships don't do. We have since bee on a river cruise and will be going to Puget sound this year with American.

S dele Tucson, AZ

A wonderful cruise line. If you like small ships beautiful sailing and a staff who truly understand and embrace customer service. They don’t do it because it’s a job but because they love what they do. We have taken one cruise last year going another in a few months and already talking about what cruise to take after this one. We can’t say enough about our e tire experience. Everyone is treated like family respected and no is not in anyone’s vocabulary. We think they are the BEST!!

T&S Kraft1 Royal Oak, MI

The staff and the food are highlights for us. Next comes the excursions during the day. The cabins are very nice especially those with balconies (although they are small). On our two cruises we have enjoyed the people very much but we would like there to be more age diversity. Apparently, the younger crowd has not discovered American Cruise LInes!

David R Busby Alabaster, AL

We had a wonderful time on our very first cruise this past year. Every crew member was awesome. Smile on their faces everyday. The food was simply great. Enjoyed having a menu instead of a food trough. The excursions at each stop were alot of fun and informational. The small ship allowed us to meet and get to know our fellow passengers. We have already booked another cruise for this year 2020.

Edward Rocereta Adel, GA

From boarding until disembarkation, the trip was perfectly organized, the staff friendly and helpful and the ship clean and cozy. Cruising a river, in our case the lower Mississippi, is by far superior to ocean cruising because of the various planned stops at interesting cities and the option of taking trips at these cities to historically significant sites. We look forward to our next trip with American Cruise Lines.

Judith Zaleski Springfield, IL

My husband & I have been on 4 cruises withAmerican Cruise Line and currently have 3 more booked. We have enjoyed each cruise. We especially like all of the Staff, always smiling, very friendly and will try to meet whatever needs that you may have. Like the size of the ships, the people that we meet, really like the expert lectures, the itineraries, and the food choices.Overall each of our experiences have been excellent.

Robert Herndon Brandon, MS

I love the overall experience, particularly the historical lectures we received on the Lewis and Clark Columbia River trip. It was outstanding as was the added Snake river trip. The knowledge of the lecturers was outstanding and, even though I have read several accounts of the Lewis and Clark expedition, I learned a good deal more about it from the lectures

Marilyn Cantey Campbell, CA

I’m signed up for my 10th cruise in May. What I like best is the small size of the ships. 90-100 passengers. I know you’re building bigger ships now, but I like the smaller ones best. I’ve been on the Independence twice, Cabin 220 and will be on her again in May. The food and shore excursions are great. Don’t know what I like least, maybe since I’m a Renaissance and Classical musician, some of the evening entertainment. I like the lectures of local history, flora and fauna best.

Kathleen Mary Rose Northridge, CA

I travel alone. I found the staff on the Constitution very helpful with planning my itinerary. My room was perfect for me. Since I was busy meeting new and wonderful fellow travelers, I did not miss not having a balcony! The ship has a large balcony on the 4th floor where my new friends gathered at the end of the day to share our daily experiences. Looking forward to my next trip.

Kathleen Chapman Virginia, MN

We loved our riverboat cruise on the Columbia River. We enjoyed the trips onshore and found going through the locks to be extremely interesting. The food was more than plentiful and very, very good. The staff was phenomenally helpful. The jet boat ride on the Snake River was very interesting and fun. The entertainment in the evening was always very, very good.

Linda Cedaredge, CO

We took their Mississipi River Cruise and I would highly recommend it. The boat is small enough that you get to know your fellow passengers. Each suite has its own balcony. The crew is amazingly helpful and polite. They go the extra mile to accommodate your wishes. We loved it so much that we booked one of their Alaska cruises. You won’t be sorry if you choose this cruise line.

Ellyn L Wasserbeck Richwood, OH

We have comleted our third cruise with American Cruise lines. This compnay does it right. We like it for the small ship and passenger feel. This makes it a more personal attention to detail. The venues are terrific. My absolute favorite was the Columbia/Snake River trip. The food is terrific and not that fancy "what is this" thing. They go above and beyond to make sure your trip is a great one. Thanks American Cruise Lines.

ART Long Branch, NJ

A river boat trip on the Columbia and Snake rivers is a journey through some of America's most spectacular scenic countryside. American Cruise Lines itinerary provides stops at points of interest that are both unique and wonderful to see. In addition to the sights, our trip provided a valuable history lesson as we traveled the paths of Lewis & Clark and other early explorers. We did it in style and saw the same great country they did decades ago.

South Texas Victoria, TX

Boat was somewhat difficult to find and not very handy, quite a walk to boat. Sure appreciate cruise employees taking bags so did not have to carry all the way to boat. Once on food was great and employees very professional from getting on to deportation. Negative would be inside cabin thermostat hard to set and announcements not coming in all the time.

Donnie and Dianne Shelton Louisville, KY

Hudson River Cruise was great. Enjoyed the tours with Robert and the walk through little Italy, NY. Food was outstanding and appreciative Kenny and Eric the chef . The servers Alli, Gabbi and all were very friendly and eager to make our dinning experience the best. Entertainment was wonderful especially Robert and Stephanie, and the lady that sung patriotic songs.

Jack Blachly Frisco, TX

This was my third cruise with ACL and like the others it was perfect. The management and staff went out their way to make sure everything was exceptional. Hannah B was our cruise director and you could not have a better representative on board your ships. Cruising the Mississippi constantly presents obstacles and Hannah made the changes seamless.

Carl Schroeder Saint Paul, MN

Some memories of our cruise: 1. Because of the smaller size of the boat and its design, it's possible to get anywhere on board in a couple of minutes. 2. A friendly and comfortable way to vacation; the members of the crew will help you (or each other for that matter) with a smile and good nature. 3. The food and food service are excellent; they work hard to provide a good experience for the passengers. 4. The excursions and scenery are world-class.

Cecile E. Johnson Angleton, TX

Except for room 318 our original room that flooded during the night bathroom and bedroom , being moved to 414 and two nights later that room flooded twice in one day. We did not put anything down the toilet that should not have been in there. We have taken over 25 river cruises so we know how the system works and believe me this has never happened to us before. I feel American Cruise Lines owes us some kind of compensation for the inconvenience that we had to endure. My husband asked Amelia for an American Cruise Line hat, she said she would get him one but he never did receive it. Todd was a fantastic riverlorian, he really knew his history. Could have listened to him for hours. The food was excellent. The entertainment was a lot better than the Mark Twain tour. I suggest you have happy hour not the same time as dinner. It was too early and then eat your meal

Carol Hernandez Anaheim, CA

We have cruised with American Cruise Lines 6 times over 6 years. The service & friendliness of the crew is excellent. The food & dining experience is superb. And coctails & wine are all inclusive. Our stateroom (not a suite) is spacious & comfortable. We love the breakfast room service. There is always a choice of excursions which are excellent. Booked our 7th cruise for 2020.

Sonny Donaldson Montgomery, TX

Cruise was most enjoyable. The itenarary was excellent. The staff was friendly and exceeded expectations . Captain S was most engaging about the cruise, his experience and the operation of the boat. Special recognition for service and courtesy goes to Kegen, Jason, Olivia and Loretta. The entertainer from New Orleans was the best with the couple the first to nights a distance second.

Sue Waverly, NY

Our recent Mississippi River cruise totally exceeded our expectations. The staff was so accommodating. The food was like eating every meal in a 5 star restaurant. The comfort of our room was fantastic. The tours were so interesting. We highly recommend American Cruise Lines and signed up for another cruise in 2020.

Barb Mifflin Lahaina, HI

American Cruise Lines gives customers the experience of visiting places with a relatively small number of people so that it almost feels that everyone, travelers and ship personnel alike, is family. The staff works very hard to accommodate everyone’s needs, likes and dislikes, and interests.

Pat Evans Hartland, WI

The England Cruise was our first experience with American Cruise Lines. We were pleasantly surprised by the exceptional accommodations, food, service and staff. We throughly enjoyed the cruise and are looking forward to another cruise with American Cruise Lines in August 2020.

frederick r fisher Kennewick, WA

Maine Coast an d Harbors, 09/07/19 Pleasures: Friendly,knowledgeable guides in walking tours and the fascinating museums ( Captain S was a gem ), lots of lobster, onboard speakers, and the staff and crew , especially our cruise director Jenna and our dining steward Roderick. Both interesting and relaxing, a rare combination.

Jean Leed Seattle, WA

We've enjoyed three cruises to date with ACL, and are looking forward to our fourth next May. Every aspect of these cruises has been exceptional, as described in the brochure: the tours, the entertainment, the food and drink, the staff support, and the rooms. To top it off, we also enjoyed meeting with the other passengers!

Ann Marino Newington, CT

One of the best cruise experiences I have had! The crew is wonderful- O had the feeling that I could ask them to help with anything. Other passengers were very friendly. It was great to learn more of the history of this country from well informed leaders. Can't wait to experience this type of cruise again!

Linda Parker Houston, TX

Would not go on any other cruise line. We have been so satisfied with the people we met and employees we have stayed in touch with. It was a beautiful cruise for Christmas and enjoyed everything. Planning cruise number four

Judith Tribby Crofton, MD

American Cruise Lines provides a wonderful experience aboard and on shore excursions. Our itinerary changed due to a tropical storm. Everything was done to keep us safe and informed and alternative shore experiences were provided.

Norma A Pettijohn Topeka, KS

I really enjoyed my trip last April to SE USA from Florida to North Carolina. The staff and the itinerary were wonderful! I'm signed up for the New England Islands in September. There is no Mr. Pettijohn, so please correct your emails to me in the future.

MimaBear Mesa, AZ

I LOVE small ship cruising! You get to know your fellow passengers and the crew in ways that aren't possible on big ships. The excursions, entertainment and food are all world-class. I traveled with ACL last year and am going again in April of 2020. Can't wait!

Georgine Riley Orlando, FL

We love our cruise!!!!!! The crew were excellent !!!!!!! The food and food service was outstanding. We very much enjoyed the many ports especially the San Jaun inslands and Victoria. The captain was easy and fun to talk too which is not true on many cruises. Two thumbs up !!!!! We expect to be with you again in the not to distant future.

John Rose Charlotte, NC

The Columbia/Snake River cruise was excellent. The entire crew was very helpful and courteous. The food was excellent with lots of choices. Beautiful scenery and very interesting land excursions, especially Mt. St. Helens. This was our second cruise with American Cruise Lines and have already signed up for another one on the Hudson River.

Sue A Johnson San Diego, CA

I enjoyed the slow pace and sitting on the top of the ship and watch the pretty scenery in the San Juan Islands. Friendly staff and fellow passengers were a plus. The only downside was dining. Since we were mostly seniors with hearing impairment the large tables of eight made it hard to hear the conversation. Very noisy due to passengers loud voices, again part of aging. I have no solution but it made meals stressful and I do have hearing aids. Great company and attention to details are a plus. Sue A Johnson

Julie College Station, TX

We celebrated my brothers 70th birthday and his upcoming retirement With a cruise. So much fun. Great excursions.... love how the planing is done... bus picks us up ... takes us to points of interest... taken back by the bus to the ship. Food great.. entertainment awesome

Joseph Parker Harriman, TN

We like their attention to detail. The staterooms are roomy, and the bath is a very good size compared to other cruise ships. The newest ships are well- appointed. The last time we cruised with them, the food was not as good as on other cruises. While it was plentiful, it just wasn't as delicious as other meals we have had.

Bob and Pat Tucson, AZ

We have cruised 3 times with ACL and have another booked. The ships have been very clean, the service and food very good and the staff unfailingly friendly and helpful. We like the policy of full payment for the cruise up front with no extra charges and no gratuities expected on board.

Valerie Cristiano Metuchen, NJ

Everything was top-notch. The tours were excellent and the guides were very informative, even after the main tour when you took the hop-on, hop-off shuttle, all of the drivers were very knowledgeable and helpful. The food was delicious and all of the staff were very attentive and many even knew our names! The small ship river cruising was amazing.

Daniel Maclean Brookline, NH

The best cruise line I have used, I have traveled Europe on river cruises the last 5 years with my Lady partner who was thrilled with American Cruise Lines accommodations, food, crew, And off river trips we took the New Orleans to New Orleans Mississippi River Cruse We Loved It.

Nan Kesler Virginia Beach, VA

Wonderful crew; entertainment and outings on this cruise! Bill and Laura were fantastic duo; Bill is a neat historian. Love his audio selection; nice presents for folks back home! Laura is quite the vocalist! Beautiful voice. The Ed and Dan entertainment was also wonderful. Thanks for such a great trip!