The Lockheed Missile Employees Federal Credit Union was chartered in October 1956 to serve employees of the new Lockheed Missiles and Space Division in Sunnyvale, California. They opened their doors in January 1957 when 1,350 member accounts were transferred from the Lockheed Aircraft Employees Federal Credit Union in Burbank. They have since re-branded and became Star One Credit Union.
Today, Star One Credit Union is a full-service financial institution with assets exceeding $7.4 billion and more than 93,000 members. They provide a variety of services that are convenient and responsive to members’ needs. Star One Credit Union has continued to prosper and meet the future financial needs of its members. Their mission is to help their members improve their lives by delivering valuable financial services. Star One offers membership to employees of specific companies, Star One Credit Union employees, immediate family members of current Star One members, and individuals who live, work, or attend school in Santa Clara County. For the second year in a row, Star One is honored as a top credit union in the nation at delivering benefits to its members.
As a member of Star One Credit Union, you are part of one of Silicon Valley’s largest, member-owned financial institutions. As a member-owned financial institution, Star One Credit Union is focused on providing long-term financial solutions to all of their members. As a result, they are able to return profits back to their customers in the form of money saving benefits this is the Credit Union’s way. A few of their benefits include higher interest on saving accounts, lower interest rates on loans and mortgages, and if there are any fees, you can expect them to be reasonable. There may be fees for products and services like checking, credit cards and real-estate loans. Star One Credit Union’s Mission is to help members improve their lives by delivering valuable financial services without any hassle. Included for many of their account options are:
- Totally free checking with no monthly fee and free Bill Pay!
- Enhanced checking accounts. An enhanced checking account means a member gets access to full checking and e-checking features. The account earns interest, has lower fees, and provides access to an extensive network of ATMs beyond what a regular bank can offer.
- There is no longer a fee on transferring from your savings account to your checking account.
- Earn 0.55% interest
- No monthly fee
- Free online Bill Pay
- Over 30,000 ATMs. In the CO-OP Network and at 7-Eleven stores
- 20 free foreign ATM withdrawals
- From savings or checking; subsequent withdrawals only $1
- $0 overdraft coverage fee when linked to your Star One Visa card
Star One Credit Union has the option for their customers to choose from two different credit cards. One card is based on rewards, while the other card is based on a better rate. It is the only credit card you’ll ever need. You’re eligible with your excellent credit and minimum $5,000 credit limit. Their cards have the following benefits:
- There are no annual fees, no balance transfer fees, and no foreign-transaction fees.
- Earn 1.25 points for every dollar spent and get a super-low non-variable interest rates! These rates are low and competitive compared to many other credit unions.
Star One Credit Union Apps for Android and Apple devices have an above average rating for satisfaction among its users, while other credit unions struggle to be just at the average mark on their ratings. These apps have a lot of benefits and allow you quick and safe access to your accounts at any time.
Star One Credit Union offers some of the best rates for checking, savings, and CDs. Star One Credit Union’s starting rates are much better and higher than many other credit unions.
- Checking Interest Rates: .55% APY
- Saving Interest Rates: .85%
- Personal Loans Rates: 9.75%
There really isn’t a whole lot of bad about Star One Credit Union. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of access to information on who they really are, or where they came from, but their customer satisfaction rates are great.
Star One doesn’t have a lot of variety in their credit options, so if you need a little more from your credit card then maybe keep looking, but both cards come with comparable perks when you use them. The other thing is they are very small and limited in the number of branches, while you have access to thousands of ATMs without surcharge, there is only access to a mere five branches in the Santa Clara, CA area. If you don’t live in the area, but happen to work close by to a branch you may find yourself in a tight spot when you need access to an actual branch if the online banking option isn’t for you. The only other not so great thing is that when you make subsequent withdrawals they charge $1 per transaction, so be aware of that.