Discover Logo

Discover

8.9

LAST UPDATED: October 14th, 2021

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

Continue reading for a complete review of this company, as well as Discover card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Competitive Cash Back Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Competitive Cash Back Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options on a variety of cards:

• The Chrome Student Card offers students cash back each school year if their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it.
  • The Cash Back Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category.
  • The Travel Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.
  • The Gas & Restaurants Credit Card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants.
  • The NHL Credit Card offers 5% cashback on everyday purchases at different locations each quarter.
  • The Discover Business Credit Card offers 1.5% cash back on every dollar spent on all purchases and your rewards never expire.
  • The Discover Secured Credit Card is unique in that it offers cash back rewards - 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.

At the end of your first year as a cardholder, Discover adds up all the rewards you earned and matches it.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Discover offers FICO credit score monitoring for free, and you don't even have to be a Discover cardmember to use this service, and checking will never impact your credit. Through this service you can see a breakdown of your FICO score and the five categories that affect it — payment history, credit utilization, length of credit history, new credit, and credit mix. In addition, you can take an in-depth look into your payment history and credit mix.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Note: Many other card issuers offer the ability to freeze and unfreeze your card if necessary.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first 14 months.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Discover reviews are positive, awarding the credit card company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most frequently highlight the following:

• Generous cash back rewards
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Great option for first-time credit borrowers and those who are looking to build credit

Negative reviews are limited, but of these reviews, customers mention that interest rates are high and that cards are not accepted everywhere.

The Bad

• Late Payment Penalties
  • Limited International Card Acceptance
  • Minimal Cardholder Benefits
  • Limited Co-branded Cards

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

Limited International Card Acceptance

Discover cards are accepted at 99 percent of locations that take credit cards across the United States, and the Discover Global Network offers acceptance in 200 countries and territories across the world.

The Discover network continues to grow, but compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards, which are accepted almost anywhere internationally, Discover credit card acceptance is limited. Thus, if you travel frequently, Discover may not be the best card option for you.

Minimal Cardholder Benefits

After the first year of being a Discover cardmember, there are minimal cardholder benefits available, especially in comparison to other card issuer rewards cards.
For example, Discover will match all cash back earned in your first year of being a cardholder, but only in the first year.

Limited Co-branded Cards

Discover only has one co-branded card available: the NHL credit card. Other large credit card companies, such as Capital One or American Express, offer many co-branded card options.

Co-branded credit cards offer greater access to rewards at more locations and on a wider range of purchases. Instead of having one retail card providing rewards at specific limited locations, co-branded cards combine retail benefits with the ability to gain points, miles, and rewards on more than just retail purchases.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. You can even benefit from cash back rewards with a Discover secured card, a unique offering in the industry. This is a great option for individuals who would like to build or rebuild their credit, while also reaping some rewards.

If you are a frequent international traveler, Discover may not be the best choice for your credit needs. While a Discover card will likely be accepted at a majority of locations in the United States, international acceptance is still very limited, especially in comparison to Visa or Mastercard credit cards.

The majority of Discover card reviews are positive. Many customers highlight the card issuer's cash back rewards, but some mention that interest rates are higher than you might find elsewhere. However, many customers mention that their first credit card was through Discover, suggesting that it is a good option for first-time credit card users.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Discover below.

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

Most importantly, they are easy to get a hold of and have support that speak English well. Also, you can’t beat the no annual fees.

Juan vega New Haven, CT

I had the discover card for a while and the customer service is amazing I had couples issues with charges in my account and the agents always go the extra mile for me. Thank you so much

Anonymous Rome, PA

Discover has been my main credit card since 1989. I have had MasterCard and Visa also over the last 42 years, but Discover card deserves my 10 star rating. Whenever I have had any issues with a purchase and the company I had made a purchase from would not or could not resolve the issue, Discover Card ALWAYS listens to my purchase issue, and then guides me through the steps I need to make to begin a complaint. Discover Card has ALWAYS investigated my purchase issue and has ALWAYS resolved the issue. I have received the monetary amount en total for the purchase or return of an item I purchased. There customer service representatives are professional, courteous and are dedicated to assisting their customers.

Anonymous Rome, PA

Blake Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

I didn't have anyone in my life to co-sign onto a credit card with me when getting my first one. I applied for a lot of different cards because I knew it was time to start building my credit. I even applied to a card with the bank I had been with for over a decade and was declined because of my lack of credit history. I was a college graduate with zero student debt, I had a good job and had never carried any consumer debt (obviously) and because of this lack of credit history I was denied everywhere I went until I tried discover. Discover had some convenient and small options for a first timer like me. They were so quick and helpful in setting me up with everything I needed. I've been with them for a while now and have been continually rewarded for my responsibility. They've helped me build my credit to where it is today.

r vido Provo, UT

Super great for students. They made getting my first credit card super easy and understandable! Plus, their customer service is fantastic

Morgan Idaho Falls, ID

My first credit card ever was with discover and I still have it and love it. I recommend this to all my friends. They have great cash back rewards and the app is so user friendly!

Diane Lawson Far Rockaway, NY

They worked with me all the time to keep my bill paid on time they have low interest rates and they gave me credit when no other company would give me a chance when I called I got a representative very easy and quick

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

What a terrific credit card! No annual fee, US-based Customer Service reps and good return on their points! I've been a customer since 1978, almost as soon as they opened. Now that they've bought Diners Club, you can even start to use your Discover Card overseas. And, of course, no foreign exchange fees. User-friendly website and they offer quarterly point boosters! It's a great card!

murfday College Station, TX

I like that you get cash back in every purchase. They had specific categories each quarter that give 5% back. They used to have better added value when you redeemed for gift cards. Now it is hardly worth it...I just get it as actual cash back. They are great at catching fraud or potential fraud. Gives me piece of mind. Every interaction with customer service has been positive.

Jessica Lynn Heady Mantua, NJ

Discover is my first credit card I’ve had, so I can’t compare it to other credit cards. That being said, I absolutely love Discover! I am on the Discover Student plan and it’s honestly the best; getting cash back whenever I use my card for gas or restaurants is amazing. Being a college student, food and gas is where all my money goes to anyway, so why not just get cash back for it!? I’ve very little trouble with them, but when I have had trouble Customer Service was super nice and helped me with everything. They even answer on Twitter, which is a HUGE plus for me. Lastly, their app is so easy to use and understand. It’s easy to see every purchase you’ve made and it’s easy to pay your bill right in the app! 10/10 highly recommend.

Catrina L. Smith

I really like Discover for several reasons. Firstly, the interest rate is low whereas I can see my debt decreasing, and this gives me a sense of comfort knowing that my debt is diminishing. Secondly, because of this, I have a low monthly payment which allows me to make higher monthly payments over the requirement to pay off my debt. Thirdly, I have several options to pay my bill without being forced to talk to an automatic system; I prefer to pay over the phone because that is more suitable for me. Additionally, Discover does not have a convenience fee when I pay by phone, and I am grateful for that. I am allowed to speak to a person which makes me feel as if I am priority and important. Fourthly, the customer service representatives are professional, attentive, and patient, and lastly, when I went through a financial hardship, Discover was understanding and was patient and kind towards me. These are all the reasons why I will continue to use Discover and why I will recommend anyone to choose Discover. I was at peace when I obtained my credit card with this company because a family member referred me, and she expressed to me how much she loves Discover. My family member has very high standards, and for Discover to meet those standards, it says a lot. I have been a Discover credit card holder since the spring of 2014, and I look forward to continue being a proud, happy, and satisfied customer. I would love to do a commercial advertising its products and services.

Kristen Goode Madison, AL

I have credit cards with six different institutions, and Discover has the absolute best customer service. The automated system gets my information and gets me to a representative quickly, and I don’t have to click through 40 different menus. I’ve also never had to wait more than thirty seconds for someone to answer. The representatives are always incredibly helpful and nice, and we have great conversations while still handling the business I need to in a timely manner. To be honest, I enjoy calling Discover customer service, and I dread all other customer service calls (ex- the cable box in my bedroom hasn’t worked in two months. I just don’t have the desire to deal with the cable company's customer service). Bottom line: Over the past 5 years I’ve realized that Discover card’s customer service is even better than the TV commercials say it is.

Nona Orlando, FL

Always reliable no matter what happens. Customer service is actually trained. They don't bounce calls around and when you need to resolve something, they are there. Have had them for 13 years now and don't plan on leaving

Cassidy Lucas Olney, MD

What I like about this company is the quality of their cards. One thing I don’t like is how hard it is to get in touch with their customer service. But I would still buy from them again.

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

Got my first credit through Discover. Best decision ever, love how they give cash back to students. They always reward me every school year for having a 3.0 or higher which is nice! Definitely would recommend anyone looking to start a credit history to start with Discover, even if you’re not a student.

BingBong Davenport, FL

Great company, great service, great rewards, good interface.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I recently received my discover cash back credit card and so far it is great. I was referred and then I referred someone else so they gave me $100 credit. Their customer service is great, they helped me get approved in until 10 minutes. They also offer cash back at different stores throughout the year which is nice since it opens your options for cash back. So far, so good!

Stacy Kainer Grants Pass, OR

Using Discover is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Their customer service goes above and beyond! They care deeply about their customers. I made a mistake recently by paying my bill right before my automatic payment date. This resulted in a double charge so I asked if that could be reversed. They not only sent my money back, but they gave a courtesy refund amount. I am beyond thankful and will always use Discover, knowing they will always be caring and helpful!

Customer East Hartford, CT

5% cash back is amazing and I'm sad to see the discover deals go. They let you apply cash back to Amazon, your statement, your bank account- which was awesome. I pay huge bills on it just for the cash back. They pick up on fraud alerts very quickly, but I wish there was a way they wouldn't lock it out at work every time I make a purchase (regardless of the amount of times I have asked them to unflag my employer's cafe). Online view and applications for phone are very easy to use.

Tamekia Camden, NJ

My experiences with discover has been good thus far, I have only been with them a few months but I have had no issues whatsoever. Applying for a discover card was a very easy process, hopefully after 6 months or so of keeping my account in good standing I’ll qualify for a credit increase. The whole purpose of me getting a credit card was to help improve my credit score and in the short amount of time I have seen a big improvement in my score.

Alex Rogerson Saratoga Springs, UT

We consolidated our credit cards from an old business we owned into one with Discover. We had no interest for a year and were able to get out of all credit card debt in half the time. They also do a rotating 5% cash back to different stores, so that is fun to get cash back at places we already go to all the time - such as Target, Home Depot and Costco.

Mike Lisanke Durham, NC

I've had a Discover Card almost since they started doing business. I've always been please by their Customer Service... especially, their responsibility and involving me to help to keep my account+credit secure. Recently (after Equifax hack) Discover Card enabled more services to help maintain a watchful eye on our credit. I want to personally thank them for the wonderful services they provide.

Stefanie Ewer Providence, UT

Discover card stands behind their promise of good customer service and you won’t pay for any fraud charges. I have had my card compromised. When I called them they immediately looked into the charges and worked on getting them removed from my account. Discover card also text you when they suspect a fraudulent charge. Their customer service team is always quick respond and very detail oriented.

Devin Cutter Long Beach, CA

Discover was my first ever credit card and I have been a cardholder since 2013. Although they offer low credit limits on their entry-level cards, I have always been happy with my card and the customer service that I've received. My Discover It card has a cashback rewards plan that can vary depending on the type of transactions you use it for (restaurants. online retailers, etc). Since there is no annual fee, this is a great way to learn the potential of a rewards program as a new cardholder while beginning to build and understand a credit history. The minimal, clean design of the online user interface and mobile apps makes everything very easy to understand and interact with. Plus, there are a lot of cool card design options, which are fun and appealing, especially when just getting a new credit card. Over the years, I've recommended Discover to numerous friends that were looking for their first credit cards, and still would do so to this day.

Dustin Marx Brighton, CO

We have had our Discover credit card longer than any of our other credit cards. The biggest disadvantage of the Discover credit card compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards is that it is accepted by fewer merchants than those two. However, there are some nice perks of the Discover card. One we really like is the ability to get cash back at several vendors (including Wal-Mart and King Soopers and other Kroger grocery stores) without any charge (as long as the balance is paid in full each month). We haven't needed to use an ATM inside the United States for years with this easy access to fee-less cash. Discover has offered cash back on purchases for a very long time and offers much higher rates of cash back in different categories each quarter. Discover cash back is even more valuable when used to purchase gift cards from Discover instead of tasking the cash. We have elected to receive $50 gift cards instead of $40 or $45 cash many times in the past, making the reward more valuable. We choose gift cards for places we'd go to anyway and Discover makes it easy to do this because there are so many options for gift cards. One final Discover benefit we appreciate is the inclusion of credit score and report details with our monthly statements.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

They have high interest rates, but I love my cashback rewards. Another great way to get Christmas gifts at the end of the year. Even when the mail was late, Discover resent my gift cards with no questions asked.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

The best part of using a Discover credit card is that you get a percentage rebate for purchases. I have never had to call for help -- have always been able to use mail or online for any transactions or communication.

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I have a credit card from Discover. I use it a lot because it gives me very good rebate from purchase. I can easy to check my account in website. If I have any questions I always get good answer from Discovery.

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This is the very first credit card I have ever had and I love how accessible it is for college students who cannot get approved by their bank. This company teaches me how to take care of my credit and be more responsible

Thomas Busch Salt Lake City, UT

Signing up with Discover was so easy and simple and such a quick way to build my credit as somebody who didn't have any! Their app is very user friendly and I always feel informed with everything I need to know.

Missy Charleston, IL

I have used Discover card for the past 25 years and it would be a hard sell to get me to switch. Discover's customer service has been great whenever there is a dispute, their cashback bonus has been a nice perk over the years, and we always pay our balance each month so it is never a burden.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

I have been a Discover fan for so long. Discover offers competitive rates, excellent cash back programs and offers increased acceptability. I have been so happy with their credit card, it has been hard not to use. From superb customer service to simple billing, I have been very impressed. Not likely to ever change my feeling about Discover!

Gloria Engdahl Racine, WI

Discover is a wonderful credit card due to the fact there is no annual fee, it’s not too hard be approved and the rewards program is great! Also their customer service is amazing! You always talk to a live representative all the time!

Shauna Horne American Fork, UT

We signed up for a Discover card a few years ago because of their incentive programs. We really like their cash back rewards and every six months they have additional places we can go to get more rewards. We like to use our cash back to pay down our balance. They have an easy to use call service so we can find out our rewards and pay our balance.

Quintin Waukegan, IL

I love using my card and being able to eat cash back. I love how simple and easy the app is to navigate and that includes my FICO credit score so I can stay on top of it. I was planning to open a savings with my bank, but chose to open it with discover, because of how great their services are.

Judith Janacek Melbourne, FL

I love Discover because I get payback $$ everytime I use my card. Also, every quarter they have you sign up for 5% back at a couple of places that you use all the time. Also, gives my credit score every month on my statement.

Stacy Yorktown, VA

I have the student discover card and I pay no interest. I get cashback from purchases that I make which can be used towards anything, even my monthly bill. In addition, I get free FICO and social security number monitoring all for free.

Jase Ray

Discover has always gone above and beyond with any of my needs. From lost or stolen cards to customization of new card design. I love how it feels like I’m always talking to an old friend with every call. They truly own my concern and seem to always quickly address my concern within the call.

Mark Wales Phoenix, AZ

Great intro 0% interest for 14 months offer. 0% APR for 14 months after first balance transfer. No annual fee, no over limit fee, no late payment free on first incident, and 5% cash back when used at great merchants...ie amazon. Great customer service and very responsive to any questions you may have. Just a "class act" throughout.

Suzy Salmaci

Discover is always so awesome. They answer when you call, they get things done. They offered me free credit monitoring after the Equifax breach.. its the little things! I refer everyone I know to get a Discover card. Never had such great service from a credit card company!

Summer Meadors Fayetteville, AR

Discover has been extremely helpful in helping me build my credit and building it well. Their customer service is one of the best out of any company I have ever worked with. They are available 24/7 to help and are extremely patient. Applying for a credit card has never been easier or felt more secure.

Kent Logan, UT

My first home mortgage refinance was through Discover home loans, and I also has a Discover credit card for several years. Both were good accounts, but when we refinanced again, loan servicing went to a competitor. I eventually closed all my credit accounts except for one, which did not happen to be Discover due to its less universal acceptance.

Ryan Knowles Denver, CO

I recently switched to Discover for my student credit card. This card is by far the best student card out there as there are no monthly fees, up to 5% cashback offers, and a high starting credit line compared to other student cards. The only place I have encountered where this card was not accepted so far is at Costco, but other than that I have had no issues!

Natalie Brown Boulder, CO

I have discover student and I love this credit card! They are very forgiving on fees and it's a very good card for people starting their credit scores. The cashback is extremely nice, as the cash can be deposited right into your bank account whenever you need it! The app is also extremely user friendly and nice looking. I've been with discover since 2017 and I'll continue to do so!

Emily Norton Tucson, AZ

I’ll be honest Discover is the first credit card I have to build my credit so I can’t compare it to others but I can say that I love it! They matched my first year of cash back which made my payment for a few months. The app is super easy to use, you can check your balance, make payments, and it reminds you when you’re getting close to your next due payment. You can check your credit score without hurting it, and you get cash back!

Bianca Jyotishi DeLand, FL

I absolutely love my Discover accounts. I have their cash back credit card, as well as their checking and savings account. Any time I have any issues with my account, customer service is super friendly and can easily help me resolve the problem. I have saved so much money with the 5% cash back as well, particularly the matching after one. year. I highly recommend Discover to everyone!!

Derrian Tallahassee, FL

I love Discover because it actually gives college student a chance and opportunity to build credit! The application is very simple, short and doesnt take a long time to finish. There APR% are one of the lowest out of many different comapnies I have researched on. If you want to try your first credit card, I would highly recommed it for college students!

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have the Blue Discover Cash Back card and love it. If you are going to have a credit card why not use it to your advantage? The first year they automatically match all the cash back you earn and there is no limit to how much they will match. We feel confident with Discover and will never go back to any other credit card. It just works for our family.

Christine Farmer Littleton, CO

I've had a Discover credit card for years. What I really like about it is the variety of ways to use rewards. The choices to order gift cards or products at discount, or use rewards to pay on Amazon are very useful. My other credit cards seem much more limiting in rewards choices. They also have a great website to monitor areas of credit card use and just to maneuver to find information.