Discover Logo

Discover

8.9

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

Continue reading for a complete review of this company, as well as Discover card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Competitive Cash Back Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Competitive Cash Back Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options on a variety of cards:

• The Chrome Student Card offers students cash back each school year if their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it.
  • The Cash Back Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category.
  • The Travel Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.
  • The Gas & Restaurants Credit Card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants.
  • The NHL Credit Card offers 5% cashback on everyday purchases at different locations each quarter.
  • The Discover Business Credit Card offers 1.5% cash back on every dollar spent on all purchases and your rewards never expire.
  • The Discover Secured Credit Card is unique in that it offers cash back rewards - 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.

At the end of your first year as a cardholder, Discover adds up all the rewards you earned and matches it.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Discover offers FICO credit score monitoring for free, and you don't even have to be a Discover cardmember to use this service, and checking will never impact your credit. Through this service you can see a breakdown of your FICO score and the five categories that affect it — payment history, credit utilization, length of credit history, new credit, and credit mix. In addition, you can take an in-depth look into your payment history and credit mix.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Note: Many other card issuers offer the ability to freeze and unfreeze your card if necessary.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first 14 months.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Discover reviews are positive, awarding the credit card company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most frequently highlight the following:

• Generous cash back rewards
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Great option for first-time credit borrowers and those who are looking to build credit

Negative reviews are limited, but of these reviews, customers mention that interest rates are high and that cards are not accepted everywhere.

The Bad

• Late Payment Penalties
  • Limited International Card Acceptance
  • Minimal Cardholder Benefits
  • Limited Co-branded Cards

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

Limited International Card Acceptance

Discover cards are accepted at 99 percent of locations that take credit cards across the United States, and the Discover Global Network offers acceptance in 200 countries and territories across the world.

The Discover network continues to grow, but compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards, which are accepted almost anywhere internationally, Discover credit card acceptance is limited. Thus, if you travel frequently, Discover may not be the best card option for you.

Minimal Cardholder Benefits

After the first year of being a Discover cardmember, there are minimal cardholder benefits available, especially in comparison to other card issuer rewards cards.
For example, Discover will match all cash back earned in your first year of being a cardholder, but only in the first year.

Limited Co-branded Cards

Discover only has one co-branded card available: the NHL credit card. Other large credit card companies, such as Capital One or American Express, offer many co-branded card options.

Co-branded credit cards offer greater access to rewards at more locations and on a wider range of purchases. Instead of having one retail card providing rewards at specific limited locations, co-branded cards combine retail benefits with the ability to gain points, miles, and rewards on more than just retail purchases.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. You can even benefit from cash back rewards with a Discover secured card, a unique offering in the industry. This is a great option for individuals who would like to build or rebuild their credit, while also reaping some rewards.

If you are a frequent international traveler, Discover may not be the best choice for your credit needs. While a Discover card will likely be accepted at a majority of locations in the United States, international acceptance is still very limited, especially in comparison to Visa or Mastercard credit cards.

The majority of Discover card reviews are positive. Many customers highlight the card issuer's cash back rewards, but some mention that interest rates are higher than you might find elsewhere. However, many customers mention that their first credit card was through Discover, suggesting that it is a good option for first-time credit card users.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Discover below.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

As a long time customer of Discover, quarterly cashback stores at 5% is a good perk, along with converting cashback into giftcards greater than face value. The ability to redeem egiftcards immediately is a plus, instead of waiting for the mailing of physical giftcards.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Discover is a great company! I’m a college student and this company has made a way for me to get a credit card easier. I was able to apply and get my card within a week.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I used this company a few years ago. I was an overall happy customer and enjoyed the gift cards I got to choose from time to time. The customer service was great and Discover is a pretty great option when needed if a credit card.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Contrary to popular belief Discover is accepted at most places that accept credit cards. Unfortunately it’s not the type of card that would ever impress or prompt a conversation if you care about that sort of thing. Friendly customer service on par with all other major credit cards.

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

I don't use Discover as often as my Visa. I pay my credit cards off each month so I don't look at interest rates. I only look at what rewards and perks they give. Discover is free, no annual fees. Discover gives cash back. And each quarter it gives 5% back in certain categories. You have to sign up each quarter to get the 5% rewards so it's not automatic. Once you earn cash back you can redeem it for gift cards, and some gift cards come with an extra $ bonus. Discover is not often taken in foreign countries so that's a drawback. When I've traveled abroad I need my Visa. One thing I don't like about their statements is that is organized by category instead of by date. If I could choose the format I wouldn't mind. But it only comes by category. When I go to balance my credit card statement with my Quicken it's all out of order and harder to do. It's easy for college students to get Discover cards which is a good way for students to start building credit. Overall I would recommend it as a first credit card.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I use the Discover It card. It pays a cash back bonus and has special bonus items each quarter that pay higher amounts. The trick to all credit cards is to pay it off each month. Any credit fees renders any bonuses earned useless as credit fees far outweigh any cash back bonus.

Michelle S Williamsburg, VA

Although I really HATE the high interest rates, when I got my debt under control and started paying off my card each month (week), I have enjoyed the benefits of the cashbacks offered. Before then, they were helpful in freezing out card and lowering rates when I called at our worst financial time. Customer service was very helpful for that. In addition, customer service at Discover was helpful in helping my adult children establish their first credit cards.

Jeralyn The Bronx, NY

I have the Discover It card student version & it’s seriously the best card ever. The 0% interest rate for 12 months is unbelievable. It’s the best thing ever that I wish all my other cards were like this one. 1% cash back on everything and 5% on deals quarterly. I once had like a $50 cash back to redeem. It gives you the option to deposit it into your checking account or add it to your statement!!

John Burns Hendersonville, TN

I've had good experience with Discover except how they handle a dispute...it's terrible. I've had to file a few disputes after I hit a dead end with the merchant. Discover doesn't appear to investigate, the just side with the seller, even when there is an obvious fraud problem. I guess they don't want to make waves? So much for "the customer is always right". Discover's motto is "the customer is always wrong".

RB Park City, UT

I have had a Discover card for years and years. They have always had excellent customer service and are good about verifying questionable charges. It would be nice if they offered extended warrantee on products bought with the card.

Ryan Larsen Logan, UT

We have had a Discover credit card for over 15 years. They have always been reliable and easy to work with. Their customer service has worked with us through some charge issues and it has always worked out well.

Jake Mecham , CO

It used to be that you would always hear "I'm sorry, we don't take discover", but the times have changed! Discover is a great first credit card for a college student. Helped me build my credit and had a decent rewards program, but not the best.

Cathy Lawson

I have had no problems. Discover always keeps me updated with current statements, and if anything out of the way happens, they are quick to inform me. The APR is comparable with other cards, so I have not felt it to be prudent to leave.

Mark

We have used the Discover Card for nearly 30 years. Customer service is great at any time of the day for answering questions or replacing cards, and they are right on for discovering fraudulent use on our account, which has happened a handful of times. They'll continue to keep my business for years to come.

Breanna Jones Herriman, UT

I like the cash back bonus I get from using this credit card. I have had to call customer service and you are talking to a human within seconds. It doesn't take forever with some automated answering machine. Very easy card and company to work with.

Ellen Morris Potomac, MD

I have loved my discover credit card because it has given me some good rewards, but they are not accepted internationally in as many places. This is a draw back for me because I travel often and wanted a card that had no annual fee and was still widely accepted - because of this I went and found a new credit card that I use a bit more often than my discover.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

This was a great credit card with lots of great benefits. We decided we had too many cards and consolidated what we were using and this was one of the accounts that we closed.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I had Discover Credit Card as a student. They have a special student credit card, so it gave me rewards on certain things I use a lot as a student. I think it's a great starter credit card.

V triplett Sanibel, FL

They reach out in a friendly, safe manor. They offer your FICI score, when you call you get to talk to a live person in the USA and they offer seasonal bonus incentives and cash back.

Ben Borsh ,

Rewards are nice. Interest rate are not the greatest. The online balance seems to always be lagging. That's annoying when you think to have it payed off and it still have a balance or overpay

Myken Cheyenne, WY

I’ve had several different Discover cards and have had great experiences with their customer service. I have found that many companies don’t accept it as a form of payment so it’s not as useful to me as my Visa or MasterCard Cards

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

The customer service at Discover is one of the best I have ever dealt with. They are willing to listen and see what the best option is for you. They have numerous cards and will try to help find the best option for your lifestyle.

Destiny Wyche Tampa, FL

I am currently a college student and struggled to find a good place to begin building my credit for the first time. The customers service representative was very helpful in explaining how the student card works and it was easy to navigate through the application.

Isaac Kaysville, UT

I just helped my daughter get a credit card through discover because they are some of the best for college. You get 2% of what you spend on food and gas back each month and after a year they double that. And it’s no interest for the first year. I have this credit card and so it is a great first credit card for her.

Jennifer Ogden, UT

I would consider my Discover Credit Card as the middle of the pack. This is mostly because I think the rewards are just so-so. The annual fees are low or non existent. They are great with customer service because I lost my card and had some fraudulent charges that were immediately resolved.

Ponch Thompson South Jordan, UT

We have had a Discover Card for over 30 years. We enjoy the extra cash back around Christmas when shopping at vendors and especially Amazon. The customer service is great! Our child also got her own card in college and has used it a bunch!

Nathan Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

I really like my discover card. It's accepted most places and has given me good deals with balance transfers and initial offers and I really like their cash back match for the first year. I also like that their isn't an annual fee.

Dave Ros Pleasant Grove, UT

Discover was one of my first credit cards. I love the convenience and he perks including Cash Back and gift cards to stores when I spend a certain amount. There have been some retailers that only accept Discover so that is a nice benefit.

Katie Howard Pleasant Grove, UT

We've had a Discover card for probably 30 years at least, and it's the main one we use. We like getting cash back rewards, and it is accepted most places. We stick with them because they've been easy to work with and there's no reason to change. We do have other cards for times when Discover isn't accepted.

Tevita Salt Lake City, UT

Discover card was my first credit card coming out of high school, I thought it was great. Customer service for the most part was great when I needed to call. I did a few balance transfers with them, and every time went smoothly.

Kurt Lucas Reston, VA

I have had a Discover card for many years, I love the Cash Back i get just for using the card. It is a great benefit.

Kelise Tallahassee, FL

I currently have a credit Card with discover but I don't like that some stores do not accept Discover cards. I wish they would fix this!

Jannis Ly San Antonio, TX

Discover is great for building credit score. The cash back rewards are amazing. It is so easy to make payments and the app is very user friendly.

Christian Parry Logan, UT

I’ve used Discover credit cards for years. I love the ease of use on the app for paying bills and using the rewards points

A. Wallace Ninety Six, SC

Ive been with them a long time and its an easy card to ise. I dont like that the interest rate is sooo high and its hard to talk with customer service about issues like that.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

I like that they give cash back opportunities, but wish they were more diverse. The website is easy to navigate and I like that you can check your FICO score.

Melodie Peterson Sandy, UT

I really enjoy my association with Discover. I have had a credit card with them for a couple of years and they have always been very fair with me and met my needs.

MattB Salt Lake City, UT

I have a Discover Card but don't use it as much as my Visa. I find that it is accepted at fewer places than my other cards. Customer service has been helpful when I needed assistance.

Tyler Salvesen Logan, UT

So I got my discover car about 6 months ago! The limit was more than o was expecting and it has helped my cover rent when I was low on income! Great product, great customer support!

Melanie Rio Rancho, NM

Discover will give anyone a credit card with a pretty high limit, which is great, but it’s sometimes not a good thing when the person applying doesn’t have a good source of income to pay it back (my young adult child).

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I liked our Discover Card well enough. They were easy to get approved for and had a good interest rate. I ended up switching from them because they didn't have as good of a reward program as some of our other cards.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

Discover is pretty great. I really enjoy the student benefits for textbooks. The credit card rates are also great with awesome rewards for members on purchases and card holders.

BLF Pleasant Grove, UT

This was a good option for us when we needed to transfer some high interest cards to a new credit card with no interest. We were able to pay down our debt and still make purchases with great perks.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

years ago we had a Discover card that we kept for quite a few years. there were never any issues we just paid it off and decided to just keep the card that was giving us some other purchasing benefits.

HLG American Fork, UT

Decent card with decent rewards. Haven't had any problems. I think they weren't accepted as widely in the past as they are now. I've kind of developed habits of using VISA and AMEX more often.

Hannah Cummins Gilbert, AZ

Discover has great offers for credit cards and their interest rates. We were able to pay off a credit card quickly with minimal interest because of what Discover offered us. They are easy to work with as well.

Dave Marlowe American Fork, UT

Discover card was one of the first credit cards are used I like the fact that they gave cash back

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have been happy with my discover credit cards. I did have an issue not being able to use it at a gas station once.

Larry. F

I was very satisfied with the service on this card. I had issues with a fraudulent charge and they took care of it without any hassles.

Bryndie Managua, MN

Really good travel cards to use. The no international transaction fee seems small but it’s saves you lots of money in the long run. Good customer service too.