Discover Logo

Discover

8.9

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

Continue reading for a complete review of this company, as well as Discover card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Competitive Cash Back Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Competitive Cash Back Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options on a variety of cards:

• The Chrome Student Card offers students cash back each school year if their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it.
  • The Cash Back Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category.
  • The Travel Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.
  • The Gas & Restaurants Credit Card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants.
  • The NHL Credit Card offers 5% cashback on everyday purchases at different locations each quarter.
  • The Discover Business Credit Card offers 1.5% cash back on every dollar spent on all purchases and your rewards never expire.
  • The Discover Secured Credit Card is unique in that it offers cash back rewards - 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.

At the end of your first year as a cardholder, Discover adds up all the rewards you earned and matches it.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Discover offers FICO credit score monitoring for free, and you don't even have to be a Discover cardmember to use this service, and checking will never impact your credit. Through this service you can see a breakdown of your FICO score and the five categories that affect it — payment history, credit utilization, length of credit history, new credit, and credit mix. In addition, you can take an in-depth look into your payment history and credit mix.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Note: Many other card issuers offer the ability to freeze and unfreeze your card if necessary.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first 14 months.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Discover reviews are positive, awarding the credit card company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most frequently highlight the following:

• Generous cash back rewards
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Great option for first-time credit borrowers and those who are looking to build credit

Negative reviews are limited, but of these reviews, customers mention that interest rates are high and that cards are not accepted everywhere.

The Bad

• Late Payment Penalties
  • Limited International Card Acceptance
  • Minimal Cardholder Benefits
  • Limited Co-branded Cards

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

Limited International Card Acceptance

Discover cards are accepted at 99 percent of locations that take credit cards across the United States, and the Discover Global Network offers acceptance in 200 countries and territories across the world.

The Discover network continues to grow, but compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards, which are accepted almost anywhere internationally, Discover credit card acceptance is limited. Thus, if you travel frequently, Discover may not be the best card option for you.

Minimal Cardholder Benefits

After the first year of being a Discover cardmember, there are minimal cardholder benefits available, especially in comparison to other card issuer rewards cards.
For example, Discover will match all cash back earned in your first year of being a cardholder, but only in the first year.

Limited Co-branded Cards

Discover only has one co-branded card available: the NHL credit card. Other large credit card companies, such as Capital One or American Express, offer many co-branded card options.

Co-branded credit cards offer greater access to rewards at more locations and on a wider range of purchases. Instead of having one retail card providing rewards at specific limited locations, co-branded cards combine retail benefits with the ability to gain points, miles, and rewards on more than just retail purchases.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. You can even benefit from cash back rewards with a Discover secured card, a unique offering in the industry. This is a great option for individuals who would like to build or rebuild their credit, while also reaping some rewards.

If you are a frequent international traveler, Discover may not be the best choice for your credit needs. While a Discover card will likely be accepted at a majority of locations in the United States, international acceptance is still very limited, especially in comparison to Visa or Mastercard credit cards.

The majority of Discover card reviews are positive. Many customers highlight the card issuer's cash back rewards, but some mention that interest rates are higher than you might find elsewhere. However, many customers mention that their first credit card was through Discover, suggesting that it is a good option for first-time credit card users.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Discover below.

drew dennington Erie, PA

I had an account with Discover for 21 years; they were the first card I received as a freshman in college. Received an email out of the nowhere telling me my account had been closed because they could no longer meet my needs. I had a stellar payment history. My balance was less than 15% of my total credit limit. Repeated attempts for a more informative cancellation reason were met with repeated, "A business decision was made". Their business decision left monthly auto payments unpaid due to the lack of forewarning that my account would be terminated. The reason they get a two out of five stars is that they were my primary card for 21 years prior to the rude and sudden termination of services.

Junior

I have never had an issue with Discover before yesterday. I basically made a payment to them over a week ago and always make my payments with no issues. Now they always want me to me to call in and call my bank to confirm all of my payments which is complete waste of timw since I. Get emails stating they received the payment. When I called the customers are rude and unpleasant. I am not the beat customer and I am pretty aggressive. But I just think it's a waste of time because n the year I have had the card they never started doing this before. So my credit was never updated. They told me it's their decision of when to release the funds. That's fine but why? Nobody could tell me that. If I have to call to confirm a payment I need to know why I am wasting my time on the phone. They didn't care, about how I felt so I closed my card. They rep didn't care either was like basically ok

A J Deerfield, IL

It used to be the best credit card in my wallet but not any more. With recent changes in the customer benefits, I am no more incline to Discover. They have reduced a lot of benefits including Purchase Protection and extended warranty. There is no use if my credit card cannot protect me on my purchases. Also, recently customer care have changed a lot and have become more pain when contacted.

longtall Roseville, CA

My card has been hacked three times. Last month, I called and told them I would be traveling in the Caribbean and they sent me emails every day telling me it was used on an international charge. The day I left the cruise, my card was denied for no reason. The card is thru Synchrony Bank with Sam's Club.

Miller Clarksburg, MD

Customer service is horrible! No options for the customer to receive help.

TJ

Not a fan. The fees they charge businesses are higher than other credit card companies.

Sara Jane Crestwood, KY

It has been a while since I had a Discover card. I only had it for one year. But found the fees so exorbitant I got rid of it. The customer service was not good, I found them rude and unhelpful.

chris Schenactady, NY

The card is not accepted in several places where we shop. The interest rates are too high. The customer dispute process is in need of improvement.

Roche American Fork, UT

I did not have a good experience with discover card, my Southwest credit card gives me points for every purchase that goes towards future flights.

Brady Hanson Orem, UT

I wasn't impressed with my Discover card. The customer service was okay, but in the end I cancelled because I didn't need a mediocre credit card.

Bruce

The interest rates they charge are way too high for my type of credit score

aaron ryan

The online billing is unclear. Customer service going down hill

Julio Fernandez

Because they cut make changes to your card without letting me know .

Kayla Tallahassee, FL

Too many hidden fees especially with the student card. Really messed me up when they were charged.

CHARYN CADMUS Ypsilanti, MI

Not willing to renegotiate a lower interest rate.