Capital One Logo

Capital One

9.4

As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry - no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Matt B. from American Fork, Utah

"I love my Capital One cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful."

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit

If you'd like to check which cards you qualify for based on your current finances, you can do so without impacting your credit score.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0 percent intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12 to 15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0 percent APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.

It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Capital One reviews are positive with 84 percent of reviews rewarding the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most often highlight good experiences with customer service, including prompt responses and problem solving. In addition, customers are please with the ease of setting up an account, as well as competitive rates and rewards compared to other credit card issuers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Beverly Schacher from Long Beach, Mississippi

"We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere."

Of the limited complaints, customers outline being overcharged on fees as well as receiving high interest rates.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39 to $95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Although Capital One experienced a large data breach in 2019, in which a hacker gained access to over 100 million credit card accounts, including access to personal information, Social Security numbers (Social Insurance numbers for Canadian customers) and bank account information, the company has bounced back, providing trustworthy service and fraud protection.

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs and competitive APRs. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place. If you have bad credit, Capital One has options available in the form of secured credit cards with refundable security deposits, providing an option for building or rebuilding credit.

The majority of Capital One customer reviews are positive, with the majority of customers outlining good experiences with customer service in which they received prompt service, especially in response to fraudulent card activity, which is good to see considering the company's past data breach.

Keep reading for Capital One credit card reviews.

Call our recommended rep over at Capital One below.

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

although i pay an atrocious interest rate i am happy with my Cap one card- i have had it about 7 years and it has been so useful. i do not have the best credit but do have a good payment record, so they increase my limit without my having to ask. This happens as i reach my limit but have been making payments over the minimum, like when i have to replace my water heater! i know it affects my credit but its nice to have a decent amount of credit left in case of an emergency

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

This is my "go to" card, with 1.5% cashback. No need to worry about getting cashback from quarterly incentives or shopping at specific stores. Linking my account with Capital One 360 allows me to easily fund my bill.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

My Capital One Venture card is great. I like the app and how I get notification receipts. I like that they have expanded what your points can go towards because of difficulties around Covid. I wish they had more actual travel partnerships, especially airlines because that is how I prefer to travel and I can't get much out of my points when it comes to air travel.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Capital one is one of the banks I bank with and while it is an amazing bank, it has its flaws. From personal experience Capital one does not give frequent updates on the status of my account and their mobile banking is quite simplistic. Nonetheless, their customer service is reliable.

Michael M

I think Capital One is great. I use their Venture Card. It's easy to get miles/points. The app is helpful. They notify me of any odd activity. Only card I use.

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

I was using ING.com when it was bought by Capital One and have been fairly pleased with their services, but interest rates have been really on my internet banking account the last many years so I'm not using them much anymore.

Mark Bellevue, WA

overall, this is a great card. I have been happy with their customer service. I did have one mishap several years back where I paid my balance in full but it posted a day late. As a result, they posted a late fee which I did not know about for a few months. That said, I had a delinquency. I learned about it when I attempted to refinance my house and was told by my loan officer that my credit score dropped a bit. When I called Capital One to explain the situation, they offered no help. This has taught me to always quadruple check my balance to make sure all is paid off in full.

Sally Lee Santa Ana, CA

I have the Capital One Venture credit card and I haven't had any issues with them. One time, my credit card was used fraudulently and they were quick to update my via text. All I had to do was reply saying that it wasn't authorized by me. The only thing I wish they had was a way for me to complete the fraud report online or on the mobile app. I had to call them to get that completed, although I didn't have to wait long.

Isaac Ramirez Belleville, NJ

I love Capital One. When I needed to refinance my car, they were able to help me out without a problem. I had some problems in the past with my credit but after I was able to work them out, I was able to get a new loan through them and they really helped me save money by offering a lower interest rate and not trying to take advantage of me like some other loan companies were.

Ramona Kiffing Pompano Beach, FL

I enjoy how reliable Capital One is with my money. They are very willing to dispute my transactions and protect my account. My experience with them have been great so far.

Mat A Rancho Cordova, CA

Capital One has been a good credit card. I just recently switched over to the Venture card and I’m excited to see the miles I will be getting using this card. I highly recommend them.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

We have had a Capital One Visa card for many years. The customer service agents are helpful and knowledgeable. They have been able to answer any questions and correct any errors with ease. We will continue to use this card, as the fees are low and the customer service is great.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

The card itself is great and I have a great credit line, but the interest rate is a bit wild. The card does get me out of a financial bind when I need to make an emergency purchase from time to time (gas at the end of the month, food, repairs, etc...).

Margaret Rose Bourlier Watervliet, MI

Capital One has been very good to me. I have had a couple charges that weren't mine and they immediately closed my account and gave me another. The only problem I had was having to wait to get the card in the mail before I could know what the number was.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

My favorite thing about my Capital One account is how easy their app is to use. You can do basically anything that you would need to from your app. If you are not big on using apps, the customer service is great when you call in. They are all very well trained and try their best to help.

Alex Nee Centerville, MA

Aside from one mistake I made, they've been very good. They get back to me fast and have been providing a solid service. Would be nice if some online features didn't lag and were a bit easier to understand... But overall the card has been very good.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

This card gives opportunity for someone whose credit may not be great, so it's great for rebuilding. They are also good at increasing credit lines in a timely manner. The interest rates are too high, but that's to be expected.

B-JM Petal, MS

No hidden fees. Great customer service that includes dependable 24 hours service and the opportunity to talk with a real person. No long waiting for responses, receptive of customer's issues and disputes with good and prompt resolutions, dependable, safe and confidential of customer's information, reliable notifications and

Matthew Wadley San Diego, CA

I love our credit card with them! We get a ton of points on everything we purchase. A for customer service! So friendly and helpful. It's easy to use your points, no restrictions, no excuses and its actually fun to use them. The interest rate is low, we pay it off each week so we never pay interest. I have told a couple of friends to switch over to Capital One. Never wait for a long time when I can in, which is a huge deal for me. I love their commercials too

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

About a year ago I applied for the Capital One Rewards Card. After applying I received a response stating that I was not eligible for this card because I had not built up my credit enough. I guess it would have been nice for me to know a bit more about the card before applying for it. I wish that the instructions for applying were easier to understand so that I would have known before that I did not qualify.

Dave Marlowe American Fork, UT

I’ve had a capital one credit card for many years I found that making part of the vocally along with her benefits with the card is worth using it

MikeD Denver, CO

The app is really easy to use. They are really great at communicating to you about your account. I really like all the special offers they make available to you.

Chris Alonzo Gilbert, AZ

Great card to have for emergencies although customer service could improve. They call times are always long and they are quick to resolve your problem but are not very patient if you have more than one issue.

Sarah Watters Quinlan, TX

Capital One credit cards come with all sorts of perks, from cash back to credit monitoring, it's a good card to have in your wallet. One benefit to cardholders is their pre-approved auto loan program. Easy, no-hassle process.

MICHELLE Mesa, AZ

I am usually really good at paying my bill on time, but one month I simply forgot about it. I called customer service and they saw my history was good and they reversed my fee. I was pleasantly surprised. The man I spoke with was friendly and understood. I also love that I can check my credit through their services

Shawn American Fork, UT

We like our capital one credit card. It seems to pay back good rates and simple statements to use and see what’s happened during the month. They are always good at protecting our security if there’s ever an issue or something suspicious on our account.

Eric San Diego, CA

Just got my first card through Cap1 and I have not used it yet. I am using it to build credit and got a good rate from them. Signing up for the card was very easy and I was approved darn near instantly. They recommended I download the app as well that does a ton of great stuff to make your credit card experience better.

Tori Miller Draper, UT

We have had a credit card with Capital one for many years and love how easy it is to use their online and automated phone services. It is so easy and accessible to make a payment or check your transactions. The interest rate isn't the best, but we like how you accumulate points and can buy things with those points.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

I really like getting rewarded for using a credit card. We have athletes in the house that require us to go out of town. With tour Capitol One card we are able to use it towards travel and earn rewards for future travel. Love it!

Jun Chen Columbus, OH

I like Capital One credit card is because its quality customer service!

Jessica Mendez Clarksburg, MD

I wish they had better customer service but overall I like my bank.

goodfelluz Stratford, CT

I liked the ability to use the card but what I don't like is they charge so much in monthly fees.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

Capital One is reliable. Customer service is mediocre. Capital One app is great and helps with banking.

Melissa Providence, UT

Great company at detecting fraud on your account. They will notify you immediately and ask if this is a purchase you made.

Matthew Haine

Decent company. Account security could be better and the interest rate lower. And they could do a better job of following up promptly on questionable purchases.

Kenneth McWhorter

I have had a good experience with them. I like how they work with the customer and their payment arrangements and how they offer a large variety of services.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Credit One has so many options in credit cards. I have been able to personalize them and get the rewards program that I want. I also like their rates.

Rathan Kumar Trabuco Canyon, CA

Recently applied for a capital one card for international travel. Process was seamless and very easy. Plus benefits for travel insurance and renting cars is a must for travel.

FIXITART West Jordan, UT

I am am not one to have credit cards due to fears of extra fees. I have Capitol one card thru Cabelas. It has been very easy to pay my bill online and is most secure when doing so.

Angelina Hamilton Gulfport, MS

I really like this credit card! Everything it at my fingers tips. Every transaction I get a notification on my phone so I know what’s being charged. Scheduling payments are a breeze.

Shanna South Jordan, UT

Capital one is great if you are needing to build credit. I currently have a card through Capital one. When I lost my card a few weeks back they were very helpful in getting me a new card.

NT Pleasant Grove, UT

fast easy application, got my card within a few, easy activation, customer service was good, didn't have to wait long on the line to speak to a represenatative. credit limit when i needed it was very quick to do.

Foote Queen Creek, AZ

I like my Captial One credit cards, especially. Really no issues from them as long as I have done my part and paying my bills on time. Even received credit raises without asking.

Mel Shipton Salt Lake City, UT

I do not like paying $50 member fee. Nor do I like my high interest rate. On the plus side I have been given a high credit limit over the last 7 years. When fraud happens the company is quick to resolve it.

Emily Cheng Rockville, MD

Good customer service and efficient bank usage.

Miller Clarksburg, MD

Capital One makes it very easy to use their banking app. It has a lot of useful features.

K

They gave me credit when no one else would. They gave me the chance and opportunity to fix and re-establish my credit score

Ava Rasmussen South Jordan, UT

Easy to get approved. Customer service and billing is always quick and friendly. Lost my card and they took great care of me.

R.P Conway, AR

Good to help rebuild your credit. The increases vary. APR depends on your credit score. Make paymemts on time and keep your balances low.

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

Capital one gave me a card and it was easy. They don't offer very good incentives to use their card as other companies do.