Capital One Logo

Capital One

9.4

As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry - no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Matt B. from American Fork, Utah

"I love my Capital One cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful."

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit

If you'd like to check which cards you qualify for based on your current finances, you can do so without impacting your credit score.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0 percent intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12 to 15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0 percent APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.

It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Capital One reviews are positive with 84 percent of reviews rewarding the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most often highlight good experiences with customer service, including prompt responses and problem solving. In addition, customers are please with the ease of setting up an account, as well as competitive rates and rewards compared to other credit card issuers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Beverly Schacher from Long Beach, Mississippi

"We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere."

Of the limited complaints, customers outline being overcharged on fees as well as receiving high interest rates.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39 to $95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Although Capital One experienced a large data breach in 2019, in which a hacker gained access to over 100 million credit card accounts, including access to personal information, Social Security numbers (Social Insurance numbers for Canadian customers) and bank account information, the company has bounced back, providing trustworthy service and fraud protection.

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs and competitive APRs. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place. If you have bad credit, Capital One has options available in the form of secured credit cards with refundable security deposits, providing an option for building or rebuilding credit.

The majority of Capital One customer reviews are positive, with the majority of customers outlining good experiences with customer service in which they received prompt service, especially in response to fraudulent card activity, which is good to see considering the company's past data breach.

Keep reading for Capital One credit card reviews.

Call our recommended rep over at Capital One below.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

Capitol One Credit cards are widely accepted but normally carry a higher than market rate based upon same credit ratings. I only use my card to pay for Washington CAPs season tickets, as Capitol One gives us some perks for using their card within Capitol One Area. If were not for this use, I would not have their card.

Karen Shadle

Very unhappy with my last experience. An ad stated that I could apply for a credit card from them with interest rates from 14%-29%. My other card are 7.9% and 12.5%, as I have an excellent credit rating. When I called there was a LONG wait time. Customer service said anyone could apply on line and it would be faster. So, I did, was accepted immediately, BUT THE INTEREST RATE ASSIGNED WAS 28%!!! I couldn't talk to a real person to explain, and there was no way to refuse the card online. I would NEVER accept a card with a rate like that. I called customer service and they said they could do nothing about my rate, because it had been online. Cards came in the mail and I immediately cancelled them. NOBODY I was able to speak with had anything to offer me except the 28% interest rate for their card. Who in heck gets the 15% cards? They also wouldn't tell me that. Maybe it was all a lie and they were handing only high interest rate cards.?? Not doing business with them ever again.

Tim Johnson Eureka, IL

My longest credit and not generous with credit limit increases been with over 5 years and only 1750 credit limit with excellent credit.

Toni Purdy Bullhead City, AZ

Not please with Capital One. They suspend your card when you spend a lot assuming it is a fraud. embarrassing to say the least.

Mary Calloway

I have had the business card for a long time, over 10 years but the interest rate has never declined even though I pay more than the min. This makes it difficult to pay the card off as I have had business decline for the past 5 years.

Trish Greathouse

I am a current customer. I dislike the way they figure finance charges, it makes no sense. You pay the card down to 45.00 and you are still paying the following month on over 120.00 of charges. Yet your bill for the month was only 45.00??

BKM Woodbury, GA

when a customer has hard ships and has to use the credit limit, as long as payments are made on time, i feel like the credit card company should help reduce the balance through lower interest rates. Customers will still continue to use their services.

Dre35 West Valley City, UT

We've had this savings account for over 10 years. The interest rates on the savings used to be the highest, and are now middle of the pack. The website is user friendly though, makes for a great online bank account with no customer service interactions.

Laurel

Customer Service when you call always sent to another country and information is not as secure over there annoying. And they make you repeat everything because they do no understand you

Lourdes Rivera Wilmington, DE

Is a good credit card but not as good as others plus they charge a yearly high fee I have asked them to changed it or switch my credit card to another but they keep denied to help me. I really wish I can paid them off.

Lindsay Norcross, GA

Capital one has been good in the sense that i used their auto navigator to buy my car. I was able to negotiate on the terms I wanted . I have a credit card through them and they have increased my limit as they saw fit that I could pay.

Jessie

Annual fees, unacceptable, paying the credit card twice to using it, very unfair.o

Melissa Shann Humble, TX

They're a good company, however, when I was unable to make payments resulting in a charge-off, they wouldn't allow me to receive another card in the present.

amycray Bangor, ME

Seems to have a lot of fees with Capital One

Celia Waipahu, HI

Got this card as a starter card, its ok if you have no credits or so so credits. I still have it but my got my daughter as an authorize user so she uses it more since she's in college.

Ivy King Norcross, GA

Misleading information on services available. Interest rates ( in my opinion) are too high.

russbayles West Valley City, UT

Had a Capital One adventure card. Rates are ok and I think they could use better rewards but never really had many problems. Switched to a card with flying miles.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

We had this credit card for a little over a year. They were great to work with. We had an interest free offer and when we paid it off we cancelled the card.

Ann Bailey Lehi, UT

The card itself is great, but I feel like their customer service is lacking. I have called multiple times and I feel like their friendliness while on the phone is lacking.

Brittney Veillon Denham Springs, LA

Good service and has a real quick service unless you are on the phone with them and some people are rude.

Dwhoush Slidell, LA

To be honest, my capital one Quicksilver card doesn’t impress me at call. It’s hard to build up points compared to other companies.

Justin McMurtrey South Jordan, UT

Capital One credit card was my first credit card. I think the have some of the best rewards programs of any of the credit cards companies.

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

The rewards on the credit card are nice; however, the late fee is crazy high. Representatives should have more ability to forgive a one time mistake

Nathan D. Warrendale, PA

This was my first credit card experience and helped me to build my credit. I haven't used the card in a while but make my monthly payments.

Stacy Lehi, UT

Interest rates are a joke so if you rack up a balance it takes forever to pay it down due to interest. Definitely need to pay it off monthly

edward reese Hyattsville, MD

capitol one has a lot of cards with multiple perks but my particular card doesnt provide any additional limit increases and wont switch out the card.

Symsol Tujunga, CA

Helpful when things are good- a little more difficult with problems or late payment

Waw Raleigh, NC

Hard to get credit line increased even when payments are on time and more than the minimum.

Gary Virts Lenoir, NC

Interest rate is a little high and they penalize you for paying the minimum amount each month.

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

Love the marketing campaigns on TV from Jennifer Garner to Taylor Swift, but don't love the high interest rates.

Deja Barnes Woodland Hills, CA

Would like it if the fees were not so high. Almost impossible to pay off credit card because of fees.

Andre Cummings

The company is very customer oriented but intrest is too high

Maxine Opperman

The high interest rate renders this company less than preferable in general.

Carol Desir Thomasville, NC

I like is company but the interest rate could be lowered on my card,

Paula Henrie Pleasant Grove, UT

We have had a Capitol One credit card for years. No problems and good customer service.

Stacy Kay Salt Lake City, UT

Great customer service. Easy to use online platform. Good card when starting to build credit.

Interest rate is to high. Could be lower.

Susanna Newbourn Miamisburg, OH

Was alright but would it liked to last longer.

Joe

Annual fee should be waived after x years of loyalty

DONNA FURMAN Ash Grove, MO

Got lower interest rate through my credit union