Founded in 1994 in Richmond, Virginia, Capital One offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, banking services, loans, and investments.

Rank Chart
#10
thumbnail-3
0 - 24.99%
5.0

The Good

• Rewards
  • APRs
  • No foreign transaction fee
  • Free credit score
  • Fraud safeguards

Rewards

Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders. For example, the company offers the Quicksilver card, which gives members every tenth Uber ride for free (up to $15), and the Venture card, which gives members two miles per dollar on all purchases.

APRs

For some of its cards, Capital One offers introductory APRs of 0 percent for the first nine to twelve months. After that, variable APRs range from 12.24 to 24.99 percent*, which is competitive within the industry.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently.

Free Credit Score

Capital One provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score at no additional cost.

Fraud Safeguards

Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards, including putting its associates through security training, putting social security number protections in place, and providing secure electronic funds transfers.

The Bad

• Annual fees
  • Late payment penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers a few cards that charge an annual fee of $0. However, after that, annual fees can go up to $59 per year, depending on the card.

Late Payment Penalties

Depending on the card, Capital One charges a fee of $35 to $39 for late payments.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

*Disclaimer: Listed interest rates were accurate as of December 2016 but are subject to change. Actual rates may differ from those listed in our review.

X close
X close

2 Capital One Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

September 21st, 2016 Belleville, NJ

I love Capital One. When I needed to refinance my car, they were able to help me out without a problem. I had some problems in the past with my credit but after I was able to work them out, I was able to get a new loan through them and they really helped me save money by offering a lower interest rate and not trying to take advantage of me like some other loan companies were.

2. User Score

September 9th, 2016 Belleville, NJ

Anytime I’ve had questions or comments about my account, someone from Capital One is easily there to help me with my questions or concerns. I have two credit cards and a car loan through them and they are easy to work with. I highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for a new card or credit for an auto loan.