America First Credit Union Logo

America First Credit Union

6.7

LAST UPDATED: September 8th, 2021

Utah-based America First Credit Union offers a variety of banking services and credit cards to its members. With all credit card products backed by Visa, America First provides cards with competitive rates, as low as 6.99 to 13.49 percent. In addition, Visa cards offer worldwide acceptance.

Seeking to meet the needs of consumers of various credit and financial backgrounds, America First offers traditional cash back and rewards options, but also offers a secured credit card option for borrowers looking to build or rebuild their credit.

It is important to note that America First credit cards are only available to members residing in Utah.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and America First credit cards reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Benefits and Features
  • Card Guard Mobile App
  • Online Banking and Bill Pay
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

America First Credit Union offers a variety of Visa cards, including cash back, low rate, and rewards credit cards. If you do not have an established credit history, or perhaps damaged credit, America First Credit Union offers a secured Visa credit card option. With no annual fee and low rates, the secured Visa can be a good option for those seeking to build credit.

A variety of cards provides greater flexibility to consumers to get the best credit card for their needs and financial circumstances.

Benefits and Features

America First offers Classic Visa and Platinum Visa credit cards that offer an extensive selection of benefits with no annual fee. An America First Credit Union account holder can earn between one percent to 1.5 percent cash back or one point for every dollar spent on eligible purchases. Other Visa benefits include travel insurance and credit limits up to $15,000 depending on card selection and your credit history. Cash back rewards are automatically deposited into the cardholder's personal banking account on a regular basis. All cards feature the following benefits:

• Identity theft recovery services
  • Mobile wallet
  • ABC Deals cash rebate program
  • No minimum finance charge
  • Fraud safeguards

In addition to these card benefits and features, America First also has an option to easily apply for a credit limit increase. However, to qualify for this increase, you must be a responsible member who pays off their credit card balance on time each month; there may be other factors taken into consideration that could also affect approval.

Card Guard Mobile App

The Card Guard mobile app gives cardholders the ability to manage accounts directly from any mobile device at no cost.

Cardholders can set spending limits per transaction, turn off credit card use capability when desired, and choose specific merchants near their location where the card is only allowed to be used. Cardholders must be enrolled in the company's online banking services in order to use these included features.

Online Banking and Bill Pay

Consumers can enroll in free online banking services with America First for easier management of their credit card accounts, through which they can review online statements, transfer funds, and set up automatic payments. Consumers can also apply for additional lending, link multiple accounts, track spending, and create household budgets safely and securely.

In addition, cardholders can also create customized text and email alerts to be reminded when bills are due or to be notified of any transaction activity. Customers will also receive their current FICO credit scores on each month's billing statement.

Customer Reviews

America First Credit Union reviews are currently limited, but the majority of customers give the company a 4 or 5-star rating. Of these positive reviews, many customers highlight excellent and reliable customer service and competitive rates on credit cards.

The Bad

• Service Limitations
  • Interest Rates
  • Additional Fees

Service Limitations

America First Credit Union only provides credit card services to Utah residents who meet certain undisclosed credit eligibility requirements. In order to access provided services, consumers must first open a personal bank account which may require a minimum deposit.

America First does not offer detailed information up front regarding the specific reward options that may be earned, or if there are any maximum earning caps or expiration timeframes with the reward points.

The credit union does not offer 24/7 customer service or a live chat option to speak with a customer service representative.

Interest Rates

America First does not offer a zero percent introductory APR on credit cards, a feature that is often included in many other competiting card issuer offerings.

Depending on the credit card, the lowest interest rate available ranges from 6.99 percent to 13.49 percent APR depending on current market rates, card selection, and the cardholder's overall credit score. These percentages are reflective of the lowest rates offered on Visa cards and are subject to change. Because America First Credit Union credit cards have variable rates, interest rates are subject to change on a quarterly basis.

Additional Fees

America First charges up to $35 for late payments and a $10 fee for returned items, and a 1 percent fee for foreign transactions. The financial services company also charges a 1.5 percent cash advance fee for the total amount of each transaction of this type.

These fees are within the average range for the industry norm but can be quite expensive for cardholders with imperfect credit histories. America First's Visa cards are generally accepted worldwide and the foreign transaction fee is better than some other competitors, but it can still be costly for travelers who make frequent purchases internationally.

The Bottom Line

America First Credit Union offers a comprehensive range of Visa credit card options for its Utah-based customers to choose from. These credit cards offer cash back on eligible purchase or redeemable non-cash rewards through the accumulation of points. With limited interest fees, these cards can be suitable for consumers who need to rebuild their credit histories and can also be pretty decent for consolidating large amounts of debt from multiple cards. The financial services company also provides online banking services, a mobile app, and various other financial products and services.

There are some limits on America First's services, including the fact that it does not provide 24/7 customer service. In addition, the company does not provide specific details on the rewards that can be earned or if there are any caps on the number of points that can be earned within a certain timeframe on a rewards credit card. Interest rates are within the industry norm but are most suited for consumers with excellent credit histories who have an established banking relationship with the credit union.

We recommend researching other credit card lenders before deciding on whether or not to open a credit card with America First Credit Union, but if you currently bank with this financial institution, its credit card offerings could be a good option for you.

If you have borrowed from American First Credit Union, please tell us about your experience by leaving a review.

Erin Williams Midvale, UT

They were very helpful when I went in to get a credit card, answered all my questions and sent me their answer very soon. The other place I applied to wouldn't let me get a card since I didn't have a credit score yet (I needed a credit card so I could actually start building a credit score), but no problem here.

DeborahAnn Magnusson Midway, UT

We have been banking with American first for years. They have always been great to work with. Unlike banks, they dont really have any fees that I'm aware of, that's the biggest reason to go with America First. Also, all the local credit unions have an agreement where if you pull money from an ATM from another credit union, there are no ATM fees. So it's just a great place to keep your money wtihout paying fees.

Magnum0970 Cerritos, CA

I love America first credit union, and have used them for many many years. I have friends that work there, and they love the work atmosphere. I love the idea of a credit union much more than a bank, their fees are fair and I like that all credit unions work together so I don’t get charged at ATMs of other credit unions when I pull money. I would never use a bank

Lindsey Newman American Fork, UT

I really love banking with America First! Everything is always so straightforward whether it’s setting up a new account, using the mobile app (awesome) Or trying to get ahold of their customer service- they are just so on top of things and make me feel very secure with their Fraud protection help as well!

Kylie Howes Provo, UT

America First's credit card options are all pretty straightforward, and the interest levels are fairly low. I've liked having an AFCU credit card, because then all of my credit card information is kept with my regular banking info, and it's super convenient to pay off my charges before interest rates are applied. I've never had any issues with my payments on this credit card, nor have I had any security issues. It's a great tool to have.

Megan Rigby

A member to America First for 15 + year. Very helpful with settling credit card fraud and getting out money back. Customer service was always kind, patient and willing listen to your needs.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

I have had a credit card with America First since I was 15 years old. They always send me a credit card when it is about to expire. I also really like my dancing shopping girl design on my credit card. It's real fancy!

Andrea Simon Billings, MT

Im using this site for the first time, love the reviews. and lists. I fixed my credit with best company's help, now im going to see if I can get some credit here. Ill post what happens with this company.

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

I am a long-time member of AFCU and I will never go anywhere else for banking! Their app is easy to navigate and I love being able to see where I'm spending my money each month...makes budgeting SO MUCH easier!

Leisha Logan, UT

I’ve been an America First member for over 20 years!! I appreciate how they treat their customers. They are loyal, kind, and so wonderful to work with. Their debt and credit card system is great!

Kelly Stanley Herriman, UT

Low interest rates and very easy to work with.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

My first ever loan was from here. It was a great experience and I was happy to work with them. They reported my monthly payments and my credit score went up! I would use them for credit cards, Banking, and loans. They are awesome!

Ashley Ulibarri Los Angeles, CA

I have been banking with America First Credit Union for 20 years, I have many car loans and credit cards through them. Their customer service is amazing and have never had a problem in the many years I’ve been banking with them.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

My America First card has been so great. I love that I'm not dealing with a bunch of hidden fees and I've never had to wait long periods of time for a customer service representative. I had an issue with a grocery store charge recently and they reversed my charge and got me taken care of with no real hassle. I definitely recommend!

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I have been a customer of America First Credit Union for the last 17 years. They are my main source of banking. I have multiple credit cards through them and when I found fraudulent charges on one of my cards last year, they were extremely helpful through the process. Their rates and level of service truly are top notch!

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I love America First! They have always been my go to bank for credit cards, loans, checking, savings. etc. Great customer service and banking options.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Love the customer service I'm always presented with. They always have the best financing and rates. We've had two car loans through them and just financed our current vehicle

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We have an America First Credit Union credit card for our business. I love the customer service that America First offers and it's super easy to pay payments with our online business checking account.

BeauCarl South Jordan, UT

When Mtn America denied me the ability to open an Account, I walked in America First and have been a customer for 20 years, with CC, Home Equity line of credit, and Auto Loans, they have been great to work with

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

I only have good things to say about AFCU. I have only had positive experiences in the branches and on the phone with their personnel and service has always been outstanding.

Jennifer Salt Lake City, UT

Very easy to use and they give you saving bonuses.

Andrew Peterson Brigham City, UT

I have been with America First Credit Union for over 10 years now and the customer service has always been great.

Christina Kaysville, UT

I have banked with America First for several years and have always been happy with all of their services. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Marilynn Holland Salt Lake City, UT

I have been a customer of America First for many years . They have always been friendly and always ready to help in any way.

Elite Empire Salt Lake City, UT

Great auto loan process and low rates. Used by more than once and would use again. Everyone I worked with was happy to be there and made me feel welcome

Mykahla Nelson Managua, MN

America first is the only way to go ! By far the best card service ever ! I would highly recommend using this bank! My card will work anywhere even in a third world country.

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

I have had a credit card through them for 22 years. I love this bank and suggested to all my kids. Using their online system to pay off the card is very easy

Justin McMurtrey South Jordan, UT

America First is a great company. I use their credit cards for all of my business accounts and they give great cash back rewards.

PessoaJ Herriman, UT

We had America first accounts for a long time with no problems. We had their credit card right along with our account and it was great

Emily Walker Provo, UT

America First has been super great to work with. They are so friendly and helpful and ready to answer any questions when needed.

Nicholas Cloward Salt Lake City, UT

Great company. Always taken good care of us. Always have better rates than other places. Highly recommend

Helen Macfarlane Pleasant Grove, UT

America First is a great bank to work with. The customer service has always been helpful and friendly.

Suzanna Wootton Springville, UT

I have nothing bad to say about America First! I love their service!

Adria Riverton, UT

Love America first. Have banked here for years and love my America first credit card

Bill Nelson Ogden, UT

Low rates, Easy and convenient to make payments on the website. Can be used everywhere I shop.

Chris Wootton Ogden, UT

Excellent company to work with good product value.